Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the best F2P mmorpg?

Any genre.

What is the best F2P mmorpg in your opinion?

Comments

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by dauntSilver

Any genre.

The problem I face is.. at the time I was playing these, they were in a good state. Now however is not the case.

Sword of the new world is ruined by the latest installment. Sword 2. 

Shaiya was ruined due to the masses of game breaking item mall items.

Silkroad was ruined by masses of bots.

Global Agenda was ruined by aim bots and too many recons.

Honestly, I'd say I had the most fun out of Runescape. till I was old enough to purchase games. Shocking i know.. 

However I haven't played any recent AAA F2P Transfers recently.. such as..DnD... Aion F2P,....AoC.. so I just don't know!

Overall I would choose Global Agenda as the one I had most fun in.. but the rest would still be close behind.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

best F2P that I've tried is mabinogi.

Skill based progression.  Better storyline quests than "far to many" P2P games.  And you can easily get away with only spending cash enough to buy a couple pets.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Hello kitty Online

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Eve online, but you'd have to put the work in to play it for free.

Other than that I'd probably go for ddo,  decent combat, complex skill system, you can grind cs points and since it's pve cash shop doesn't become a problem.  Just a pity it's not really an mmo.

Having a froob account in anarchy online is also worth mentioning

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

I wish I had more time to try more of them! I will say, though, that I've been casually playing DDO for a couple of years and the game continues to impress me more and more the higher up the levels I go. Just when I think I'm getting tired of it I come across a new and interesting dungeon or play with a character with a different skill-set and suddenly it's fresh again.

Also - I've played the Path of Exile beta and it kills. Very good game!

• ThaVampThaVamp Member Posts: 48

My personal favorite still is LOTRO. It's a good PvE game with lot a flavour.

If you want to try something else, action based, try Vindictus. It's a bit grindy, but very nice gameplay and beautifull graphics.

As for PvP the only good one I can think of is GW or GW2. They're not really F2P, but at least you don't have to pay monthly cost.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Any genre.

Loaded question so how about this.

DDO for group playing.

Vindictus for action combat...Tera stole its combat and just altered how you dodge.

Runes of Magic if you want a free WoW type game. basically WoW 1/5th the size.

Age of Conan for boobies with a good story.

LoTRo for Role Playing.

Atlantica Online for something completely different if story means nothing to you...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

The best 'freemium' game is EQ2, although youll really want to spend 5 bucks for silver.  It has more (accessible as a f2p player) content than any P2P game besides EQ1 and has the most active community of the freemium games (freeport or AB server)

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

For me it's a toss up:

AoC: for the combat and setting. (But I don't like paying to unlock a class that I wanted. I wanted to play the Necro.)

DCUO: for the combat and comic setting in Gotham. (I'm a bit biased growing up with those comics.)

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by teakbois

The best 'freemium' game is EQ2, although youll really want to spend 5 bucks for silver.  It has more (accessible as a f2p player) content than any P2P game besides EQ1 and has the most active community of the freemium games (freeport or AB server)

I dunno. The whole "gear unlock" thing sort of sucks. As far as I can tell/remember you can only use the gear you purchase through the store and get from quests. Dungeon drops require the player to pay to use them. Other than that though, there is definitely a shitload of content to be had in EQ2. 

DDO and LotRO are pretty good. I've also heard some good things about DCUO and Fallen Earth, but I've yet to play either.

Vanguard will (hopefully) be a pretty good F2P MMO within the next couple of months.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146

so no one likes Perfect World International, or Dragons Nest, or anything like that? (I've been looking at top MMO lists and those were frequent games.)

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

so no one likes Perfect World International, or Dragons Nest, or anything like that? (I've been looking at top MMO lists and those were frequent games.)

I played a bit of Dragons Nest when it first came out. It was pretty fun. The downs for me though were how the whole game is instanced (sort of GW1 style) and the gender locked classes.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    they have a new silkroad out. called silkroad R. they have changed and made it better, but to answer the f2p topic. Aion,Vanguard sage of heros*soon to be f2p* and lotro, L2m think that is it on my list... of ya fallen earth.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Best F2P for me is Fallen Earth. Deep atmosphere, complex and meaningful crafting system, FPS style combat, really makes you feel like you are a post apocalyptic survivor. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by stragen001

Best F2P for me is Fallen Earth. Deep atmosphere, complex and meaningful crafting system, FPS style combat, really makes you feel like you are a post apocalyptic survivor. 

Is it still worth playing for the F2P player? I heard they nerfed the crafting system so that F2Pers can only have 1 crafting queue slot

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

The Perfect World games are ok as long as you dont mind bad stories and heavy anime use...Forsaken World is arguably their best all around game, story isnt horrible but isnt good either...they just dont stand up that well to others depending on what type of game ther are.

BTW, you can add DC Universe for comic MMOs to my list in the other post.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Perfect world games have a tendency to be heavy on the pay to win front

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

LoTRO, AoC, EQ2, Fallen Earth, Aion. Lots of good ones

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

For me it was Lord of the Rings Online.

• adiktusadiktus Member Posts: 128

For me, I really like Dragon Nest, Atlantica Online, and Mythos Global. They are all F2P.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

For me is DC Universe Online.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

i would say EQ2 but you will find it hard to play without spending some cash .

• BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

I did like Dragon Nest up until the current max level of 40.  At that point, it became repetitive raiding in order farm ingredients to craft sets of equipment.  Once the next chapter comes out, I'll be sure to play it again as I liked the storyline.

For PWI, I was hooked on Forsaken World for a few months.  Then the daily rituals of Henry's Quests, God's Trial, Glistening Plains, etc got boring for me.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

imo eq for pve n aoc fer pvp..oh ya dc online isnt bad for a pvp fix too

• Pin_CushionPin_Cushion Member UncommonPosts: 38

Aion, hands down.  It doesn't try to suck money out of your wallet like most FTP games.  I've sat in front of their store with my credit card in my hand and just couldn't think of anything to buy that I HAD to have.  There was lots of stuff that was neat, but nothing that would give me any real advantages over people that didn't spend any money.