Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR vs. SWG survey

Comments

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by apocoluster

I think the biggest problem for SoE was Lucas Arts

That is  false.

Raph Koster was SWGs problem.

LA had nothing to do with worlds that were randomly generated...or no 3D X/Y axis that allowed shooting through the ground/walls/no jumping/ hovering mounts that stopped on a pebble. LA had nothing to do with randomly placed waypoints that spawned in homes not only blocking entry but also preventing completion of the quest...LA, had nothing to do with the poor database handling in the game causing them to have daily downtime...nor did LA have anything to do with the 100% sandbox portion of the game.

The changes that came to SWG later came from Sony thinking rightly that the game would have far far far FAR more players if they closed some of the glaring gaps in it...and yes, they destroyed the game in the process, it just wasnt possible to do because of the core of the game design.

As bad as SWTOR is, it was designed in a way that would allow virtually any kind of expansion to it...since its just a bunch of instances leading to instances. You can add an open world planet to it, or a very large open instance to the current worlds, crafting can be vastly expanded easily just by adding items and resources. The glaring lack of RPing items can take care of both the crafting and the RPing aspects missing. A player created design function can be added easily as well since the game is instanced. music playing, dancing, pazzac playing, mounted player v player races...all can be added easily.

If it is so easy then why has none of that been done yet? I don't even see them on the planed list. Hell, I don't even see a planed list.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by Terranah

Does anyone here think that 9 years later people will still be speaking fondly of SWTOR?

SWTOR wont even have an Emulator. No one cares about the game that much

Actually I care about the game much more than I care about SWG or it's emulator but as Bardus pointed I stated earlier it may have also had alot to do with the fact that for many of us this was an eye opening experience our first or second mmo other than that this game was crap a few decent systems that if it wasn't for your friends meant absolutely nothing.

It was riddled with bugs from start to finish many of which never were fixed unless it was a bug in a system they decided to scrap and while most were not game breaking the constant nature of them were much more than I was willing to deal with once I saw that companies like Blizzard can release relatively bug free content with high production values.

In this regard it's pretty simple people are confusing an experience for a product I am glad for anyone who enjoyed SWG more than TOR many aspects I enjoyed more as well but comparing game to game is just foolish.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

You can't view the results?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Bardus

If it is so easy then why has none of that been done yet? I don't even see them on the planed list. Hell, I don't even see a planed list.

Because going by EAs stock conference calls, they are in complete control and SWTOR is not even a priority. Then going by what they themselves are saying, drops in players is the fault of casual players and the players they do still have are happy with the game.

No chance of anything beind done about the game.

Ability to do it, and will to do it are not the same thing.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

That poll is either ineptly constructed or purposefull a push-poll. Nearly all of its questions refer to SWG strengths. Furthermore, many of the questions can't be answered because SWG existed for 7+ years whilst SWTOR has only been out 5 months.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by mrw0lf

It says votes show 67% SWG over SWTOR

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by raistlinm
    As in getting together a bunch of friends and deciding to pseudo pen and paper only in the game world?  If so then every game has limitless content it's just that again many games with active quests etc. the players aren't  doing that because there is no need to and I can't blame the devs for not forcing the playerbase into certain roles and as far as the user generated content that came waaaay down the line much closer to the end of this game than the start and it certainly wasn't in pre cu or nge which seems to be what the person I was asking is basing his experiences on.

Nope that wasnt what I was talking about. I was talking about players creating quest chains with boss fights and loot drops, player bounties, and player made city strongholds that could be attacked and defended. Real content, driven by players.

Main fucking reason I loved every damn minute I was playing SWG.  TKM/CH/M  FOR LIFE!!!!  I still use that avatars name in games I know will be worthy to carry its name in the database.  The game had such an impact on roleplaying for me.

BOOYAKA!

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601
    Originally posted by Darth-Ninja

And you're surprised by this after it being posted here? lol. Also, see my post above about push-poll.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

thats cause the SWTOR players actually have a game to play instead of wasting their time with a completely biast poll.

• prodigaL_sonprodigaL_son Member Posts: 21

This is the division in the MMO world that keeps us from being able to play the perfect game.  Typical Sandbox vs. Themepark discussion.

SWG was a better game... for me.  I dont like RPGs.  I don't like linear gear grinds where I am constantly trying to convince myself that the story line is interesting and my character is important.  Thats me.

I like pulling into a city and seeing houses out front and speeder bikes parked at the cantina.  I liked having to run to my ship and dock it.  I hate that I can whip a mount out of my pocket, or that my ship will always be on the planet I am on.  I hate going to planets and seeing creatures that are way past my level because I am "past that stage".

RPGs are lame to me... never got into them.  They are like a bad movie litered with errands.  That is what SWTOR was to me, and trust me, I wanted to like that game so much.  I LOVE Star Wars. 

Every MMO is way too similar.  run to green dot, kill ten rats, run back to green exclamation, blow the quest givers mind with your obvious rat killing talent and witness as he showers you in buttery amazement.  get a substantial reqward for a mindless peice of button clicking, because "HEY!  I deserve iT!"

This is the mistake.  I don't need a lightsaber at level 10.  that is stupid.  Jedi are supremely powerful.  more powerful than most bounty hunters or smugglers, or imp agent/other BS PT class they invented to make it Rock, Paper, Scissors WoW style.  I should have to work a long ass time to my light saber... ha, I said work.  I didn't mean that.  I mean't click a lot of buttons, complete a lot of quests, learn a lot of skills, etc... you know... fun!

Ill stop charging up my rant before I "discharge' it all over everyone.

SWTOR was simply not immersive.  No new MMO really is, but SWTOR was especially artificial.  What were the beasts I was killing?  Wasn't the world of Star Wars a world full of large, half empty planets (much like earth now)?  Does a lvl10 made up beast sitting in a group of 3 on the side of the road in a lvl10 area really give you immersion?  You must be great at lying to yourself.  Teach me, Yoda.  I need this skill.

My lvl10 light saber, the horrible story line (no, it wasn't good, it was corny and stupid and didn't feel Star Warsy-search your feelings, you know it to be true), The generic list of moves.  Come on!  Not to mention, when did the Jedi become a bunch of Emo pansies speaking in horrible pseudo-poem?  The great man-band, LFO once said "Billy Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch-a sawnets"... yeah, well Bioware could have used him, because there script was atrocious.  I found myself cringing and cringing.

Then I am presented with a ship, slaves, I can only pick 3 skills, my "MOUNT", blah blah blah, same old same old. 

SWG was different.  I was building the world, I was exploring the planets, I had to get my ship and move it around and buy a mount that I couldn't just micro-machine into my pocket and it was hard to be a Jedi.  I would walk into cities and see people drinking at the bar (I would disrobe and put on a glorious nude dance show display-yeah, im that guy), I would see people dancing in the cities (I would slap on my birthday soup and rain silky dance grooves all over tham... yeah, im that guy), and it was fun.

I could play out my pathetic Star Wars fantasy.  I wasn't training along on some pre-determined tracks.  I was "Building a Mystery" of fantasmal dreams.  Then some awful company known as Lucas Arts did unto SWG what they did onto all things Star Wars... Mr. Lucas spread his pimply, hairy, but cheeks apart and dropped heaping loads of diah all over SWG. 

Point is... MMOs shouldn't be like RPGs.  The players should shape the world.  They should have the opportunity to live out their fantasy in a video game.  Cyber Larp.  If you want linear story lines, go play an RPG.  Sure, not filling empty space with pointless "MOBs" may, to the moron, make landscapes seem more empty, but if you get back to the initial purpose of the MMO.  the ability to have it be as real as fake can be and you can live there, you'll find out how much substance is there.

MMOs are dead, they wont return, because WoW decided that everything you do should grant you a reward.  That the whole point of the game was to hit max level so you can 50 man gaid at end game (zomg dont stand in the blue circle!).  There is no END GAME in a sandbox.  You just keep building.  SWTOR is done because they took a completely amazing world, a world that has different flavors for everyone, and they said... NO, this is how it is.  Well... F U.  EA and Bioware made their money and they care not what I say, but it is a damn shame we can't get a decent Sandbox Star Wars game.  Too bad SWG2 doesn't rescue us all from 14 year olds and Theme park helL!

May the farce (<--- yep) be with you... always

Yeah but I went through all of the questions and having spent the time I would like to know the majority opinion of them.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by mcburly

thats cause the SWTOR players actually have a game to play instead of wasting their time with a completely biast poll.

I think you'd be surprised, there were quite a few one couldn't answer SWG to, at least not honestly.

-----

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by ignore_me

They Shut this down on the official forums, so I thought I would bring it over here. I didn't put it up originally but thought it was interesting.

They shut it down in no small part due to its clear bias.  For example:

"15 Which has a better end game during its final build? "

Their Aphreudian slip is showing.  Seeing as how SWTOR never HAD a final build, they're clearly expecting the polltaker to come to the same conclusion that they do.  Subconciously, they worded the question to fit their answer.

"20 Do you think you'll build that kind of relationship with SWTOR community members?"

Didn't have to go much further:

"21 Does having companions hurt the need for community building?"

And I'll just end with this and move on:

"45 Do you wish SWTOR's space battles were off the rails like SWG?"

As I mentioned above, this poll was built to support and provide legitimacy for the author's conclusions, NOT to get down to actual opinions. 

As for my opinion, I liked alot of things about SWG, many of which I realize I recall with both rose colored glasses and from the perspective of someone who had few choices on what to play at the time.  But to say it was a better game...

...is to forget that the player base consisted largely of Composite Armor wearing clones seeking the flavor of the month while riding their "speeders" which moved at about 20 MPH and rubberbanded all over the place, killing nests full of wildlife(how Star Wars is that???) where without Doc buffs you might sweat a couple local stormtroopers, but BUFFED, you could DESTROY a half dozen Rancor with your bare hands...

...all in a world that was bug ridden and 2 dimensional, with horrible collision detection... 

...and no quest content, which gradually evolved into a quest system that's even inferior to what Eve offers, which is far less a PvE game than SWG was.

TOR certainly has its issues, some of which are philosophical design faults and can never be fixed.  But what it does do, with the exception of OW PvP, it does pretty solidly.  Yes, the endgame is balls, and I'd even say that indefinite subbing is unlikely for any but the most hardcore of fans, but I'd say that of any game in the MMO market, and if pre-NGE SWG still existed to this day, it would ALSO certainly be on my list of "HAD" played's. 

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by jtcgs

That is  false.

Raph Koster was SWGs problem.

LA had nothing to do with worlds that were randomly generated...or no 3D X/Y axis that allowed shooting through the ground/walls/no jumping/ hovering mounts that stopped on a pebble. LA had nothing to do with randomly placed waypoints that spawned in homes not only blocking entry but also preventing completion of the quest...LA, had nothing to do with the poor database handling in the game causing them to have daily downtime...nor did LA have anything to do with the 100% sandbox portion of the game.

The changes that came to SWG later came from Sony thinking rightly that the game would have far far far FAR more players if they closed some of the glaring gaps in it...and yes, they destroyed the game in the process, it just wasnt possible to do because of the core of the game design.

As bad as SWTOR is, it was designed in a way that would allow virtually any kind of expansion to it...since its just a bunch of instances leading to instances. You can add an open world planet to it, or a very large open instance to the current worlds, crafting can be vastly expanded easily just by adding items and resources. The glaring lack of RPing items can take care of both the crafting and the RPing aspects missing. A player created design function can be added easily as well since the game is instanced. music playing, dancing, pazzac playing, mounted player v player races...all can be added easily.

I agree that the lack of a 3d Z axis was an issue, but random waypoints? Youre going to hinge your argument on mission WPs being in unreachable terrain! Even when this happened with a Bounty it was at most a minor inconvenience. Even the random fuckups of SWG were better than the unchanging plastic piece of shit lands in SWTOR. Lots of times missions spawned close together and made it a challenge, or the mobs would fight each other.

And if they actually make crafting more complex in SWTOR I'll be amazed. Crafting in SWTOR at it's best is not even like making a tertiary subcomponent in pre-CU SWG.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Dredphyre

And you're surprised by this after it being posted here? lol. Also, see my post above about push-poll.

I'm pretty sure it's just for fun homie. Don't put it in any papers or try to publish it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by mmcguire2

SWG is the best MMO to date... pre-CU and NEG...

without a doubt

• Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Xthos

TOR has pluses in it, if just due to it being more modern in the survey.

I think the biggest problem for SoE was Lucas Arts, when you have a IP, and they have ultimate control and final say, it can be like a football team with a owner that thinks he should be the GM/Coach.  This plagued SWG, and to be honest, I would not be suprised if it doesn't hit (may have already to an extent) TOR.

The problem was not Lucasarts. Lucasarts actually was pretty well hands off at first. It wasnt until the NGE that they started getting involved because of all the hate mail they were receiving. SOE basically said they needed it to be more like EQ II because they did not have the resources to maintain all the different class posibilities. They wanted to focus more on EQ II than SWG and that was SOE not Lucasarts.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/12/soes-smed-feels-sorry-for-swgs-nge/

Found this earlier today about Smedly who was a complete butthead towards the community who had a petition signed of over 250k players asking them to roll it back. In which he gave us the bird and said he knew best and it was not going to happen.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by ignore_me

http://gemtrix.com/2012/05/star-wars-an-empire-divided-vs-star-wars-the-old-republic-a-gemtrix-survey/ 

They Shut this down on the official forums, so I thought I would bring it over here. I didn't put it up originally but thought it was interesting.

I took the survey and found it interesting that 60% of the folks surveyed found pre-cu better.  That includes me.

SWTOR is a pale comparison to the nge,  and i'm not sure whats better the nge or the swtor.

Yes and I bet they shut it down on the official forums, one thing they don't want at ea/bioware is any type of criticism.  It has gotten to the point on the server merge thread and the way did you leave thread that the corporate shills are now bashing folks for speaking out.

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by Rikus25

without a doubt

/Sign

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

SWG was better hands down. WAY better. Heck, it was probably the most fun MMO I ever played!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by eagle4x4
    Originally posted by Rikus25

without a doubt

/Sign

Dear George Lucas,

Give money to ArenaNet to build SWG2 with the sandboxiness of SWG1, and all the other great gameplay/design elements of GW2 (i.e. Branching story that starts at character creation, great dynamic events, awesome fun active combat system, the list goes on...).

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

NGE was trash...but yes pre-cu was amazing.  That said...the EMU is a joke at this point...I mean really?  Look at the graphics compared to todays game.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Ayupan23Ayupan23 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by afhn2110

NGE was trash...but yes pre-cu was amazing.  That said...the EMU is a joke at this point...I mean really?  Look at the graphics compared to todays game.

Who cares about the graphics? besises it looks pretty decent maxed. What matters is Alpha server is a month from launch, and the code is finally stable.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

I find this interesting, because I can recall clearly in those days that SWG launched and afterwards, that generally SWG was considered something of a disappointment and a bit of a failure by the majority of MMO players. Too buggy, too empty and little to do, just didn't give that Star Wars feeling that many had hoped for. Nowhere near the hype and enthusiasm that arose in the general MMO playerbase when WoW got launched.

Is this some kind of MMO history revisionism or rosy glasses effect, or is all this praise mostly coming from hardcore SWG fans and sandbox fans? I'm not saying that SWG didn't have its merits, but I'm pretty sure that SWG was in those days itself considered nowhere near the gift from heaven that many now claim it was. Back then it was overall more of a 'meh' response of many, also in comparison with the enthusiasm that people were able to muster for other MMO's in those days.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by cutthecrap

I find this interesting, because I can recall clearly in those days that SWG launched and afterwards, that generally SWG was considered something of a disappointment and a bit of a failure by the majority of MMO players. Too buggy, too empty and little to do, just didn't give that Star Wars feeling that many had hoped for. Nowhere near the hype and enthusiasm that arose in the general MMO playerbase when WoW got launched.

Is this some kind of MMO history revisionism or rosy glasses effect, or is all this praise mostly coming from hardcore SWG fans and sandbox fans? I'm not saying that SWG didn't have its merits, but I'm pretty sure that SWG was in those days itself considered nowhere near the gift from heaven that many now claim it was. Back then it was overall more of a 'meh' response of many, also in comparison with the enthusiasm that people were able to muster for other MMO's in those days.

At the end it was good, and compared to SWTOR it was "the gift from heaven"