Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: The Diablo Effect

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Diablo 3 launched this past week and there's no question that there will be some sort of impact on World of Warcraft. In today's WoW Factor, we take a look at potential changes WoW players might see as a result of D3's arrival. Check it out!

The largest impact will come in the next few months as players move from WoW to Diablo before the expansion. It is only a guess that population numbers will go down for a while as people enter Diablo over the summer. This in some ways gives WoW a break. The big win for Blizzard here is allowing for chat across games. This technology allows for WoW Guilds and Diablo players alike to chat and plan their schedules accordingly. I think Blizzard made the right call with cross game chat through Battle.net as it keeps their community together regardless of what game they are playing.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The WoW Factor: The Diablo Effect.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

yah- they can call me when they can cross chat D3 with GW2.

thank you.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by orbitxo

thank you.

How much money do you think could be made for an IRC game overlay?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

thank you.

You can already do this with Steam... although some games have issues with Steam, but for the most part it works out good.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

WoW solo PvE is about as deep as Diablo...

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Apparently diablo 3 has given swtor a stomach ache :P the knife in the back will be gw2. Oh no wait the knife in the back was some big ceo stating swtor wont get much attention its not a big earner for them top 5 etc

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Wicoa

the knife in the back will be gw2.  

I doubt it! If anything, Diablo 3 just gave me something to potter around with, until GW2.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The Diablo III gameplay videos all look hugely boring.

At least CCP are doing something groundbreaking with DUST 514, even if it were to fail.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I don't think an auction house actually improves Diablo.  The entire game is an item grind - you are running a series of dungeons over and over, chasing increasingly rare tiers of items and combination of properties.  Using the auction house is just going to put you further along that curve - meaning once you start using it, your actual gameplay becomes less and less rewarding.  So for me, real money or ingame gold, I don't want to touch the auction house, I don't see any way that it enhances my experience.

I do find that Diablo really drives home how static and bland WoW's world feels in comparison.  WoW open world really boils down to "N mobs aggro you, you wiin, N+1 aggro you, you die" and other than a few rare spawns, there's nothing that ever changes about the world.  Diablo on the other hand, shows that an MMO engine can use geomorphs to create randomized dungeons, filled with randomized events and chain reactions of spawn  (although I have to admit the addition of server outages and rubberbanding to a single-player game are not exactly welcome).

Although the cut scenes and voice-acted dialogue are nice (on the first pass), I fear they are actually a step in the wrong direction for the design as a whole.  When you have that expectation amongst players, it starts to limit how much you can geomorph the plot (it's not just dungeons that can be randomized - to me, the next logical step is to randomize plotlines, NPC motives - start building entirely emergent story arcs rather than repeating the same scripted one (although admittedly, I've not advanced far enough to know if there are any twists or added layers of randomization added to higher difficulty levels).

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

I haven't really heard or seen anything groundbreaking about Dust at all. I got to play Guild Wars 2 and it's an amazing game. It's not like any MMO that I've played before and I've played alot, going back to the originals before EQ and UO. It's even different from Guild Wars 1. Honestly, I like different. I don't want every game that I play to be a clone of the game that came before it. That would get boring for me really quick.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

"The big question is…when will this system be implemented in WoW? There are no real plans, but it is impossible to ignore the fact that if the real money auction house is a success, there is a good chance it will come to World of Warcraft in some way."

And that's exactly why it's dangerous. If it's successful, it's a system that won't just stay in Diablo, and all those people with their heads up their asses "Just don't use it blah blah" all throwing common sense and principles to the wind just to get to play a video game that, let's be honest, doesn't reflect the 12 years that went into it, will be the same people bitching in the forums that all MMOs are now P2W. And I will point and laugh, because people create their own monsters, as they always have.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175

thank you.

It is called real ID :)

And you can talk with anyone you want (you decide), no need to have the Trade channel spam! :)

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ maplestone

Well said bro, I was wondering if random dungeons could be implemented in Wow also..

Why does strat have to always have the same layout. it would be so cool to not have memorize dungeon layouts and explore them like new everytime..
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Apparently diablo 3 has given swtor a stomach ache :P the knife in the back will be gw2. Oh no wait the knife in the back was some big ceo stating swtor wont get much attention its not a big earner for them top 5 etc

Where exactly in the above article is SWTOR mentioned?  So what possible reason do you have for just randomly injecting it into the discussion?  Are you obsessed with it or something?  Stay on topic, please. 

• GolbatGolbat Member UncommonPosts: 4
    But seriously Rebelscum. . . you have to admit that shit was hilarious; it's like he had his ass handed to him on some other forum and decided to draw some completely random relationship here to feel better about himself. Some people are so transparent. . . /facepalm
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

The Diablo III gameplay videos all look hugely boring.

At least CCP are doing something groundbreaking with DUST 514, even if it were to fail.

Ya that would be groundbreaking: turning a hack and slash dungeon crawl genre game into a FPS genre game. REVOLUTIONARY!

You stay sassy!

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

I don't know about you all, but I played Diablo III through once and I agree with the statement about the RMAH going to shorten the replay value on this one.  Whats the point in running through again if you can just buy the stuff you were running through to get in the first place?  I'm actually just waiting for Torchlight 2, at least in TL2 I can choose different face and hair for my toons. And for the price of Diablo III I can get 4 copies of TL2  and it includes a free copy of TL for the people I give my extra copies to.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Now I'm enjyoing swtor since first day, but I will for sure return for Pandria. Or some Rift expansion. I was very disappointed with gw, but I admit gw2 attracted my attention as it looks very different game. Diablo series reminds me champions of norrath, but that was before I discovered mmo world. D3 is one of possible options if I would really have spare time. :-)

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 507

I am playing and enjoying D3, I didn't play the first 2 Diablos so my expectations where minimal. As far as the RMAH goes, I will not buy anything from it, but I might post some rare drops to it just to see what happens.

Godz of War I call Thee

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

I was gonna write a really long story why i really dislike the game even after having it played for almost a week straight.

I decided to just put it into a nutshell; Diablo is WoW dungeons stripped of anything else but the "Need" for loot and with some online features latched on. Now i know that's what it's always been but did they not once stop to think "hey this is cool and might add some more replay value or total value to the game" ?

I mean they didn't have to reinvent the wheel but a bunch of new features that enriched the gameplay like (actual) random quest generating and alternative story lines and so on would have been nice.

I won't even touch the subject on random maps because it leaves me so amazed as why they even call it random maps when half of them are either go left instead of right or vice versa.

Ever since wrath of the lichking/cataclysm i've been seeing blizzard do a lot of rehashing old stuff and putting it into a new jacket, diablo 3 gives me that exact same feeling.

Call me crazy if you want because i'm not hailing the game as the second coming of jesus but this is my honest opinion on the game.

• DreadstoneDreadstone Member UncommonPosts: 125

Sorry, but I think the author is spending too much time in an alternate reality, lol.  I can't see anyway that D3 could take people away from WoW.  It's a completely different play style (and not a good looking game by modern standards, imo).  If people are leaving WoW it would be for other new MMOs like SWTOR or Tera Online which have competitive styles, not for D3.  If WoW players like D3 they play it and WoW (or another MMORPG).

And if Blizz really is stupid enough to bring a real world cash auction house to WoW, you can pretty well expect to see WoW fall from MMORPG status to just another niche MORPG game.   The majority of people are not going to pay a subscription and pay rw cash for gear.  Turning WoW into something seen by players as Pay2Play and Pay2Win game would be idiotic.  It would certainly make Mists the first expansion I don't buy and guarantee I won't renew the 7 year subscription I let expire in January.  (And I certainly didn't let it expire for D3)

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I doubt Diablo 3 has much effect on WoW. Of course there is a certain amount of WoW players who also plays D3 (the annual pass success alone is proof of that), but I do not believe many will cancel WoW to play D3.

Personally, I've played through D3 normal, and that's the end for me. i have no interest in playing it over and over again. The game is too repetitive for that. I know a lot of players aims to beat D3 at highest difficulty, but I also know there are many like me - done and moving on / back to whatever they were doing earlier. Several D3 players also left the game early, simply because the game disappointed them. So quite a lot of players are done with D3 already, only a week after the release. Also, on my WoW server (Anachronos, EU), I can't say I have noticed less ppl after the release of D3, at least there's no exodus, so to speak.

RMAH in WoW? Maybe, maybe not. If it gets successful in D3, be sure that other companies will copy it. But I doubt we'll see it in WoW the next couple of years.

Btw, I don't think MoP will cause "a massive rise in WoW players again " as said in the article. I have the impression that people were far more hyped about Cata than MoP. Could be wrong, of course, but that's what I think.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

As a WoW and D3 player, I see myself alternating between the two. I don't see why it has to be one or the other. Sure, it is a bit hard to be logged into both at the same time, but... overall, WoW players playing D3 have not necessarily left WoW...

The thing I definitely do not want though is an RMAH in WoW. I never plan to use the AH in D3, but I do use it in WoW. Adding in a real money component would render the current AH obsolete. I am not willing to pay real money for something like 20 rugged leather. I am more than happy to pay ingame gold for it though.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

WoW is mostly uses a BOP (Bind on Pickup) loot system, all the good loot is BOP, before Blizzard adds a RMAH to WoW they would need to change this... I really don't see that happening.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by expresso

WoW is mostly uses a BOP (Bind on Pickup) loot system, all the good loot is BOP, before Blizzard adds a RMAH to WoW they would need to change this... I really don't see that happening.

I think you need to update your knowledge about wow loot. There are a few differences from earlier. For instance, if no one rolls need on certain loot (yes, epic too), the winner get it WITHOUT it being bop, it will be boe. There are loads of such equips being sold ingame. Not to mention, certain VP items (right now: wrists + feet) are boe, not bop. These are just examples of stuff that would guaranteed end up on a RMAH if wow got it now.

However, the new upcoming loot rules in MoP may change this. For example, some loot (maybe all in dungeons?) will require you to roll BEFORE the items is revealed. Meaning, if you win, you will always get something for your class. Don't know if random boe loot will still exist after this.

I don't want a RMAH in WoW, but if Blizzard wants to, it wouldn't be hard to implement it. A lot more stuff would be boe if that happened, no doubt, but if D3 RMAH is successful, it won't be a surprise if greed wins.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

"The big question is…when will this system be implemented in WoW? There are no real plans, but it is impossible to ignore the fact that if the real money auction house is a success, there is a good chance it will come to World of Warcraft in some way."

And that's exactly why it's dangerous. If it's successful, it's a system that won't just stay in Diablo, and all those people with their heads up their asses "Just don't use it blah blah" all throwing common sense and principles to the wind just to get to play a video game that, let's be honest, doesn't reflect the 12 years that went into it, will be the same people bitching in the forums that all MMOs are now P2W. And I will point and laugh, because people create their own monsters, as they always have.

Well its 100% the fault of the playerbase if it does succeed......THey can have all the auction houses they want, but if the players dont buy anything it wont work....The problem is the players always buy things and the companies know its a huge cash cow......Just think of all the money BLizzard lost out on by not doing this in Diablo 2......I remember seeing stuff for it constantly on Ebay and selling for big dollars.