Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creating The Story For The Elder Scrolls Online

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Over the course of five core games, the Elder Scrolls series has accumulated enough lore to keep fans buried. The team behind The Elder Scrolls Online decided to wind back the clock in order to add to the series rich history. Through a combination of careful research, conversations with Bethesda Game Studios, and creative brainstorming, ZeniMax Online hopes to give fans of the series an thorough look at a tumultuous time in Tamriel's history. Game Informer's Ben Reeves sat down lead content designer Rich Lambert and creative director Paul Sage to talk about the story within the MMO and how it connects to Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Video Interview at linky so clicky below ;)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/21/creating-the-story-for-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

This game is going to suck so bad.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

What really irritates me is that for the next year, we are going to see tons of interviews and articles and video about TESO just like we saw with SWTOR.

Im sure MMORPG and Massively will also do many ass-kissing "reviews"

Hype, hype, hype, hype ,hype

Then 3 months after release when the game fails expectation we wont hear another word about TESO until the announcement of merging servers and F2P

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Q: What elements will you be bringing from the ES games to TESO?

A: Lore

Q: Is the lore considered canon?

A: Well, we hope that the guys at bethesda will consider it canon.

WTF?  Seriously?  The only elemnt of the ES games you're using is lore, but it's not even considered to be canon.

Q: What will fans of the ES games get out of TESO

A: Someone who is a fan of skyrim can explore skyrim.

....?  That's a joke right?  If only I had a game that allowed me to explore the lands of skyrim, how awesome that would be.

Every time they open their mouths, they make the game sound worse and worse.

"That interesting tower you see may have something going on, but necesarily anything for you to do, which will reward the explorer"  Awesome, because that's my favorite part of the ES games.  Seeing something interesting off in the distance, travelling to it, seeing something going on, and not being able to interact with it because it's just a prop for me to look at.  At least I'll be able to level my acrobatics or athletics skill while I'm running out to explore a pointless POI that has no reason to be explored. Oh, wait. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Honestly this is perhaps the first game I am hoping will be pulled from release so they can go back and either do it again more in line with the actual elder scrolls titles, or not at all.

And I've played Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, TOR, and APB. o_O

Hope my mind will change on this over time, but I just don't like what they've been doing.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

First game in a LONG, long time that i've wished all of the "Head Honchos" were fired after releasing details for their product.

Literally, I despise EA-Bioware, and I don't even wish harm to their dev staff. However, to think you can take TheElderScrolls and turn it into a carbon copy of SWTOR/WoW is absolutely absurd. 

Seriously, I'm still finding it hard to contain my anger over this one. It's simply inconceivable that they'd do this with such a great IP.

WHY DO ALL OF THESE BAD COMPANIES GET GOOD IP DEALS FOR BAD GAMES?!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

First game in a LONG, long time that i've wished all of the "Head Honchos" were fired after releasing details for their product.

Literally, I despise EA-Bioware, and I don't even wish harm to their dev staff. However, to think you can take TheElderScrolls and turn it into a carbon copy of SWTOR/WoW is absolutely absurd. 

Seriously, I'm still finding it hard to contain my anger over this one. It's simply inconceivable that they'd do this with such a great IP.

WHY DO ALL OF THESE BAD COMPANIES GET GOOD IP DEALS FOR BAD GAMES?!

Indeed, I would have to agree.   I've never wished for anyone to lose thier job before, even people I've worked with and didn't like, but every person that's done an interview from zenimax online about TESO I want to see canned.

"The ability to explore the lands of skryim" is as good as saying "the same generic, stayle, MMO experience you've been having for the last decade, set in the land of skyrim."  They would do a better job of pitching the game if they had duct tape over thier mouths while they were being interviewed.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Yawn. Story... PR blah blah... never seen people talk so much without saying anything...

I've got a bad feeling about this.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal

Yawn. Story... PR blah blah... never seen people talk so much without saying anything...

Gotta cut them at least a little slack.  I mean you can't really say to much when everything you say is that you aren't making an ES game.

Afterall, when the only thing to look forward to is adventuring in the lands of skyrim because that's the only thing the game has in common with ES, and everything else is the same old same old, you can't really expect them to say a whole lot.

I really hate zenimax online for making me nerdrage over a video game.  Frigging hate them!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Gotta cut them at least a little slack.  I mean you can't really say to much when everything you say is that you aren't making an ES game.

Afterall, when the only thing to look forward to is adventuring in the lands of skyrim because that's the only thing the game has in common with ES, and everything else is the same old same old, you can't really expect them to say a whole lot.

I really hate zenimax online for making me nerdrage over a video game.  Frigging hate them!

What really irritates is the arrogance and condescension of the Zenimax Devs.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by Uhwop

What really irritates is the arrogance and condescension of the Zenimax Devs.

Oh come on now.  You know very well that you never wanted to play an ES mmo, because that would suck.  A real ES fan wants an MMO that plays the complete oposite of ES, we don't even want them to use lore that actually follows the ES lore. 

We are, afterall, to stupid to know the difference.

Hey, if George Lucas can slap the star wars brand on any piece of crap product and have it sell, then for sure zenimax media can slap ES on a box and have an instant hit. 

It's unfortunate that that last part is going to turn out true.  George Lucas wasn't a genius, he just leaned that most consumers really aren't that bright, and will indeed buy anything with a popular band name, even when you scrap all of the quality that was associated with that brand.  For the most part, we are that stupid, and it's heartbreaking.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

to be frank even if the lore was not only the best ever made but was light years better than anything ever created in a game I would never buy a game for a book.

I would just read a novel instead.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

to be frank even if the lore was not only the best ever made but was light years better than anything ever created in a game I would never buy a game for a book.

The lore just does more to help establish the world you are in, adds to the richness and interactivity.  it gives a feeling of a world that has existed before you stepped into it, and will continue long after you are gone.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by iceman00

The lore just does more to help establish the world you are in, adds to the richness and interactivity.  it gives a feeling of a world that has existed before you stepped into it, and will continue long after you are gone.

I'll agree to the former, but not to the latter.

At least in the context of a game, the lore does nothing to interactivity.

WoWs lore is extensive (if borked), doesn't make WoW a more engaging experience as a game.

Its all in the game-mechanics how you interact with that lore.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by iceman00

on a list of things to talk about we are in agrement that lore is low on that list.

but again, I personally never pay any attention to the lore of any game I have played in the 20+ years I have been playing video games.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me