Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure arrogance will destroy this game

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856
    Originally posted by Tardcore

The only arrgoance that will kill this game is that of the elitest fans who take anything A-net says as the gosphel set in stone that GW2 will be entirely different from other MMOs (such as Wow), and will completely revolutionize and revitialize the genere. I feel those fans are writing a check full of promises GW2 can't cash, and that this will come back to bite what would have otherwise been a decent (not amazing) game on the ass.

He says it better then me. You simply cannot promise everything and it really seems ArenaNET believes their own BS.

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Originally posted by Puremallace
    Originally posted by Naqaj

First, notice how he says 'companies' as in plural?

Second, Rift? Seriously? 

According to some of the post I have seen GW2 has invented RvR, dynamic eents, level scaling, and public quest. Oh also add in action combat.

No.. you are just confusing it with GW2 was the first one to bring all those factors into one game... which is more innovative then having carbon copy of WoW with one extra innovation from your list, like RIFT.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

The first time I logged into Rift I had to log back out to make sure I didn't accidentally start my WoW client.

GW2 is the first MMO since WoW to live up to its fabled hype.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

No, I don't think marketing alone can destroy any game... marketing + hype, that's a completely different beast. GW2 still needs to prove many things, guess we have to wait and see how things turns out image

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Oh look, a marketing director confidently marketing his game.  

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

....Do devs not learn at all from 7 years worth of launches and pre hype that maybeeee just maybe hyping a game up this bad might back fire?

Most people seem to have figured out hype is only a 'problem' for games that are essentially average or below.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Homitu

Your comment would be justified if he was exaggerating or saying outright lies like marketers can do, but how is Lye doing that, can you exemplify? 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Your comment would be justified if he was exaggerating or saying outright lies like marketers can do, but how is Lye doing that, can you exemplify? 

Don't encourage, please.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

huh?  I think you think I'm saying something that I'm not.  Is marketing a derogatory word in your mind?

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Originally posted by gladosrev2

The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. Are devs just inside a little box where nothing gets in that is happening around them? Can ArenaNET please release this game already so that it can stop riding the hype train?

He is right on the spot. And rift did not happen. Only one of those I know tried it and left very quickly. Others, including me, are not into hamster wheel mmo's anymore.

You can deny it all you like, but even after the rather buggy beta, GW2 hypemeter is still rising. It's that good :) Most often games don't live up to the hype, that is true, it's just like with movies. But sometimes the hype is pretty spot on, just liek it was with Avatar, and will be with GW2. In both cases, ironically, we have a certain degree of arrogance and genius behind the team.

one thing... Avatar sucked

sorry Im no fan of overhyped CGI-ed pocahontas

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Well first off there are no DE's in Rift or GW2. Only game to have DE was AC, that is true Dynamic Events. Now that I got that out the Rifts in Rift and the Hearts in GW2 are not even the same type of questing. Rift has no impact on GW2 or the MMO community at all.

We have yet to see if GW2 does or not.

What we need is MMOs that require you to think and challenging content. That is what we as gamers want.

Yes, that is what we gamers want - sadly we are not the target population. The target population is the Casual gamer who doesn't want anything challenging or even want to think much after they just came home from work. My opinion.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

at least gw2 feels more challenging then any other game ive played so far..thats an +1 for me..hope they wont nerf a thing

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/arenanet-guild-wars-2-a-reaction-to-sluggish-mmo-design/

Do you believe that the MMO genre has been stuck in a rut over the past few years? So does Christopher Lye, the global brand director for ArenaNet, who publicly denounced the post-World of Warcraft trend in the industry as stagnant.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Lye stated that Guild Wars 2 is walking the walk when it comes to genuinely challenging the status quo in the industry. "Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design and that Guild Wars 2 is a reaction to that," he said. "People will call this risky, but we think it's riskier just to churn out the same MMO that everyone has played before."

Lye pointed to Guild Wars 2's scaling dynamic event system and its action combat as examples as to how ArenaNet is forging its own path. Observing that player consumption of content is "virtually insatiable," Lye said that the team has developed tools to allow it to implement changes and additions to dynamic events in hours, not weeks.

Is this industry stagnation coming to an end? Lye says yes: "We're finally seeing a point where companies realize that they're not going to create the next great MMO by just copying what's come before."

The massive balls this guy has to say this crap and just pretend like Rift never happened is just amazing to me. Are devs just inside a little box where nothing gets in that is happening around them? Can ArenaNET please release this game already so that it can stop riding the hype train?

I agree with Lye when it comes to the concept of cloning: I really don't want 10 more years of WoW clones nor Guild Wars 2 clones with a twist. I prefer a varied MMORPG AAA market and I am glad that Arenanet chose the path of variation. 

About Rift: it shares far too many elements with WoW; that's it's problem. Its development started 2006, while GW2's started 2007, so it is hard to say who was first with the idea with dynamic events, they could have  thought of it independentely. 

Being different that does not mean that you are the first one to do it, it just means that you are different from the norm and the current norm is WoW. The dynamic events and the abolishment of the holy trinity, are two important aspects that make GW2 feel different.

Hmm yea, who cares who thought of what first? Really, as long as its done well and good I dont care. Although I think they started to think about DE when they were working on the the "Utopia" expansion to GW1. But they realised that all the things they wanted to add would change the game totally and they decided to make a brand new game instead. 

I agree with Lye as well, way too many games have jumped on the standard MMO gameplay model. Maybe that is just because I simply dont like that sort of gameplay. It just becomes a grind and grinding in a MMO with boring combat Aka standing still casting spells/ I swung a sword gameplay is not on my list as fun. 

Let people that like that combat like it and let those who dont like it play other games. This is why I didnt even consider buying SWTOR after I saw 1 gameplay video. Simply because it was the same old combat. I think more and more people realize how much potential MMOs have combat wise and they just wont bite the bone with another "clone" coming out. 

I just hope that the DEs in GW2 will stay fresh and offer something people seem not to care about anymore, fun. 

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Guild Wars 2 is in a unique position, where all this hype is only going to help them. It's not a typical P2P game that needs a subscription. It just needs to sell the box, that is all. People can piss and moan all they like a month down the road, it's not like you can get back that $60 you already gave them. This isn't your typical MMO where they need to constantly keep the players happy so they can continue getting paid.

Am I missing something here?

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Well, at least he didn't say "paradigm shift". That accounts for something.

off-topic

BINGO?

I feel an MMORPG b.s. bingo coming up...

/off-topic

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Um Rift sucks and was a complete WoW clone.  They didn't innovate shit.  GW2 devs have allowed people to play the game in beta so we all know exactly how the game works.  They don't need to release it.  And its okay to make claims you can back up, and they certainly backed up their claims in beta. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• Ashen_XAshen_X Member Posts: 363

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/arenanet-guild-wars-2-a-reaction-to-sluggish-mmo-design/

Do you believe that the MMO genre has been stuck in a rut over the past few years? So does Christopher Lye, the global brand director for ArenaNet, who publicly denounced the post-World of Warcraft trend in the industry as stagnant.

In an interview with Gamasutra, Lye stated that Guild Wars 2 is walking the walk when it comes to genuinely challenging the status quo in the industry. "Honestly, I think the problem is that there's been a lack of change in MMO design and that Guild Wars 2 is a reaction to that," he said. "People will call this risky, but we think it's riskier just to churn out the same MMO that everyone has played before."

Lye pointed to Guild Wars 2's scaling dynamic event system and its action combat as examples as to how ArenaNet is forging its own path. Observing that player consumption of content is "virtually insatiable," Lye said that the team has developed tools to allow it to implement changes and additions to dynamic events in hours, not weeks.

Is this industry stagnation coming to an end? Lye says yes: "We're finally seeing a point where companies realize that they're not going to create the next great MMO by just copying what's come before."

Isn't calling a, "Brand Director," a, "Dev," a bit misleading ?

I mean marketing people are promoters not actual developers. Complaining that a marketing executive engaged in marketing is silly.

And he didn't pretend that Rift never happened.

When all has been said and done, more will have been said than done.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Well, I'll give you credit, you managed to make it until the very last paragraph before you mentioned Rift.  Btw...Rift is EXACTLY the type of cookie-cutter MMO he should be complaining about.  The only thing "revolutionary" that Rift brought to the genre were the Rifts, and they weren't implemented particularly well.  The rest of the game is a carbon copy of WoW, and has evolved into more of a lobby-based game than a true MMO.  

Not even that.

The Rifts events are non other than the reskinned version of WAR Public Quests.

Rift is just the perfect WoW clone, which happened to be super polished and that's why it did better then the rest , but certainly it didn't bring any innovation.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    Whats rift?
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Trion pussied out and went for the old tried and tested formula of end game raiding..the rifts are just a novelty that wear off pretty fast, oh and don't get me started on that games quest system, it was torture.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Well, at least he didn't say "paradigm shift". That accounts for something.

Dark Pony ..... this is what I think of your witty, "im sitting on the fence" comments.

[mod edit]

It's getting old.

Poor Pony! :( 

Somehow I think he's mixed up pony with phoney....I understand being butt hurt by SWTOR but a least you where a rebel with a cause

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

huh?  I think you think I'm saying something that I'm not.  Is marketing a derogatory word in your mind?

Yeah, I usually assume that people use "marketing" in a derogatory sense, since they can use the word "informing" instead.  It is an interview after all, not a commercial. 

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

It will do no such thing.

The only thing that will destroy the game is if it is a poor product. Everything else is secondary.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Um Rift sucks and was a complete WoW clone.  They didn't innovate shit.  GW2 devs have allowed people to play the game in beta so we all know exactly how the game works.  They don't need to release it.  And its okay to make claims you can back up, and they certainly backed up their claims in beta. 

^ ^ this man speak the truth.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

OP, are you seriously trying to tell me that you're angry over an article about a video game?

This discussion has been closed.