Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play Rift FREE

OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I've got an active sub to Rift but hardly ever login anymore because I've lost interest... however, the game isn't bad as far as this kind of game goes. Level 50 PvP is all about gear and level 50 PvE is all about grinding so I don't recommend rushing to the end unless you really enjoy grinding.

One great way to enjoy rift is to level-lock your character at the top of your level bracket before hitting 50, gear up and just stay there enjoying PvP that is more balanced than level 50 PvP (yes, it's even more balanced when you are 9 levels over your opponents and vice versa than level 50 gear vs gear).

You can play Rift for FREE here: https://rift.trionworlds.com/account/reg/account-registration-short-flow.action?experience=lite

• No Credit Card!
  • No Time Limit!
  • New and Returning Players!
  • No Kidding!

There is one big limit, though... you cannot level past 20 on a free account.

So what can you do with a level 1-20 character? Level lock at 19 and you can run two dungeons (Realm of the Fae and Iron Tombs) as well as PvP in the 10-19 bracket.

It's much easier to do this in Rift than WoW because it's free to level lock in Rift where WoW's level lock requires 10g... and 10g can be hard to earn on a trial account before hitting level 20. (At least it was hard to do in WoW the last time I tried, which has been quite some time now.)

Enjoy!

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Sounds just the same as the extended free trial many other games such as WAR have done for a long time.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by Kabaal
    Sounds just the same as the extended free trial many other games such as WAR have done for a long time.
    Yep. It is. It's nothing special. Just wanted to point it out for people who are bored and looking for some cheap entertainment.
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

WoW, this is new... oh wait.

Also, Op- rushing to the endgame in Rift is just playing at a casual speed. 10-19 Black Garden is terrible, btw. Healing is ridiculously OP in that bracket- just bring a couple friends and all go as healy clerics- game = won.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Thanks but I can imagine no reason to try it. If I wanted to play this type of game I can always jump into LOTRO, which is basically the same game, just with superior lore behind it.

Or I can stare at the GW2 login screen which is more fun than playing most MMO's out there ;)

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

Originally posted by gladosrev2
    Thanks but I can imagine no reason to try it. If I wanted to play this type of game I can always jump into LOTRO, which is basically the same game, just with superior lore behind it.Or I can stare at the GW2 login screen which is more fun than playing most MMO's out there ;)
    Oh yeah, LOTRO is definitely a better game... but it only takes a couple hours to get into Rift's early dungeons and PvP... and there's no thought involved. If you've played WoW then you know what to do.

It's cheap. It's easy. It's better than watching TV.

Of course LOTRO is much better if you're wanting to get into a game and spend some time, but these quick and easy free trials that let you level lock at the top of a PvP bracket are great for people who don't want to put any time or effort into the game and just want to spend a few minutes every now and then messing around.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Originally posted by gladosrev2
    Thanks but I can imagine no reason to try it. If I wanted to play this type of game I can always jump into LOTRO, which is basically the same game, just with superior lore behind it.

Or I can stare at the GW2 login screen which is more fun than playing most MMO's out there ;)

Oh yeah, LOTRO is definitely a better game... but it only takes a couple hours to get into Rift's early dungeons and PvP... and there's no thought involved. If you've played WoW then you know what to do.

It's cheap. It's easy. It's better than watching TV.

Of course LOTRO is much better if you're wanting to get into a game and spend some time, but these quick and easy free trials that let you level lock at the top of a PvP bracket are great for people who don't want to put any time or effort into the game and just want to spend a few minutes every now and then messing around.

Plus it's real easy to twink a 19 capped toon in Rift. You can get all the good gear fairly quickly.

• CallessonCallesson Member Posts: 5

But you can't wear purple gear while on trial, isn't this a difficulty?

Originally posted by Callesson
    But you can't wear purple gear while on trial, isn't this a difficulty?

It would be hard to come up with the planar or world event gear on a trial account... but you can still do really well with dungeon gear and the couple PvP pieces, especially if you play a healer. A lot of people level alts in the WFs (BGs) and so you're not always up against twinks.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Just started playing last night. Currently at level 8 and all is okay so far. I knew what to expect anyway. I'm building a Ranger/Bard/Riftstalker type which is perfect for leveling and in a small group. Environments are nicely done. The areas I've been were not so big but they're filled with stuff. I prefer that over wide bland areas. And then there's those rifts that appear at times. I still don't know whether I'll subscribe to this just to complete level cap, but if I wouldn't be forced to a cookie-cutter build to be effective in the endgame this would be great.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Just started playing last night. Currently at level 8 and all is okay so far. I knew what to expect anyway. I'm building a Ranger/Bard/Riftstalker type which is perfect for leveling and in a small group. Environments are nicely done. The areas I've been were not so big but they're filled with stuff. I prefer that over wide bland areas. And then there's those rifts that appear at times. I still don't know whether I'll subscribe to this just to complete level cap, but if I wouldn't be forced to a cookie-cutter build to be effective in the endgame this would be great.

If you go to the Rogue forums, there is a guide there, I forget, Rogue bible or something. Anyway, there is a leveling solo melee build in there, that is based on the assassin riftstalker. You get some hefty damage but the best part is that if you don't use your finishers, if the mob dies with combo points, it translates back into self healing as you level. Really good stuff. I just don't recall if that talent is available in the teens.

• ChopsticksChopsticks Member Posts: 120

I still have a r8 Dom/Stormcaller overthere :) 

Level locking at 19 sounds pretty fun.

• madjonNZmadjonNZ Member Posts: 143

Rift is great fun !! and good quality - for anyone looking for a game in general or waiting for GW2.

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Rift is World of Warcraft for people who don't want to play World of Warcraft.

Please ignore this thread. I tried to play Rift and it's so awful that I didn't last 30 minutes... and I still have an active sub. If you're playing for free then you're going to be even worse off. Save yourself some trouble and find a good book to read or maybe get some sun.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Please ignore this thread. I tried to play Rift and it's so awful that I didn't last 30 minutes... and I still have an active sub. If you're playing for free then you're going to be even worse off. Save yourself some trouble and find a good book to read or maybe get some sun.

Lol, well, at least the thread is here for those that really have nothing better to do than try rift.

It's not that awful, just, I can't put my finger on it. Something about the game just bores me. I really respect Trion though.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by OldManFunkOh yeah, LOTRO is definitely a better game...

I do not know if LOTRO is "better" game but Rift shares with LOTRO one very unappealing feature.

While both games are fairly polished, stiff and static character animations are such an extreme contrast to the rest of the content and quality of both games.

I can understand that LOTRO animations aren't top notch as the game got it's age but RIFT released in 2011 featuring the same?

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Threads like this are pointless and insulting to my intelligence.

• gellandgelland Member UncommonPosts: 3

Rift isn't a bad game, but i think it has lost its "next generation" MMORPG feeling. Now its only redeeming quality is that how fast Trion can copy&paste content from other games, and that is not innovative. Rift is sinking fast in a swamp of mediocre theme park MMORPGs. 

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by madjonNZ

Rift is great fun !! and good quality - for anyone looking for a game in general or waiting for GW2.

Good quality? Yes.

Fun? Only if you've never played the 5,000 themepark mmos made before it.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    Originally posted by madjonNZ

Fun? Only if you've never played the 5,000 themepark mmos made before it.

Like me, I guess.

It's NOT for burnt out jaded picky MMO players that's for sure.

• DirtyisdeadDirtyisdead Member UncommonPosts: 16

Just wanted to spread some bad news, you cant level lock on a trial account. I tried it and sadly had to just play at level 20.