Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*Updated for Inferno* Solo Monk Build for Inferno and under

quickshotzquickshotz Member Posts: 215

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaf7pR-QRzU Act 2 inferno cleared

http://youtu.be/G19xNyKtvrI Inferno act 1 clear. How to beat the butcher with roughly the same build

http://youtu.be/0Uj2ypiAfCc  Post monk hotfix info.

http://youtu.be/MifZsM6vy5M  Inferno for inferno currently able to solo a 2man Skelly King. Build is in the video below and stat requirments are in this video. *Just added* 

http://youtu.be/cwFvh3JTmzU Build and stats for FULL HELL clear.   *Just added* (I forgot to mention this in the video but you NEED atleast 40k hp and a min of 100 life per hit, dont be afraid to lose 100-200dex for what you need) * 2hours after this video iv been gearing myself out and im now sitting at 5.5k damage 68k hp, THATS? RIGHT 68000 hp :P Makes my boon of protection absorb so much damage lol

Will we make it to Inferno act 4 :O we shall see in a few days ;)

This is a quick video of what happens when you stack attack speed (not even a lot) on a monk. I basicly can spam any spell non stop no matter its spirt cost. At this attack speed you regain spirit so fast it doesnt matter. 

Basicly I cant really see how I could die (other then self. Even a 50 spirit mantra can be spammed every second! No matter what build your going for having this much attack speed is just freaking amazing and should help. Enjoy!

Wait until you get the Boon of Protection rune. Life regen increased to 1,240.4 Life per second + a mystical shield for 2 seconds that absorbs up to 15% of each target's maximum Life in damage.... OP much? And yes you generate enough spirit to cast it every 2 seconds

I threw this video together in like 30sec so sorry for the 'rushed' job.

I would LOVE any advice or other tips/tricks other monks have found. Im sure my lowbie nub self is like WAY behind the trends. But at least in the partys iv been in that have other monks none seem doing this. Is there a better setup? Please let me know, because from what I can see I could get another 1.00-2.00 attack speed increase with later gear (the gear I have now sucks) so yea. This is not a brag post or anything like that, just wanted to show you something cool that I think may be a tad op, please correct me if need be.

You can see my skills in the video. The runes its kinda up to you, other then boon of protection of course. I'm using Lighting flash/Blade storm/Blazing wrath/Peaceful repose/Searing light/Boon of protection.

To everyone who thinks the build wont work without boon of protection is dead wrong. I allready new about this change and have been testing alternative methods. Dont worry the build still work, you just use a different rune, can you guess which one? Even with the hotfix changed its still viable with boon of protection. Or just take sustenance or time of need and change stats around accordingly.

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    In my main build I am focusing on getting a sick amount of health but keeping my damage up a well.

I try to keep my attack speed around 1.8 - 2 aps. I've found daggers to be the best weapons for sick attack speed. They are usually 1.6ish while the fists are 1.5.

I try to keep my dodge up high withthe passives and procs.

I have about 15k health at level 45. I'm trying to balance that with damage right now my dps is 500. I could do more damage and get some more attack speed, but I'm hesitant to do so. I'm very survivable right now.

Most packs don't even hurt me in nightmare, but the ones that do I use lots of cc.

I probably won't keep it like this exactly in hell and inferno as my damage is suffering a bit, but I haven't had issues with spirit much. I ten to use as much low cost stuff as I can and when I'm reduce to no spirit I can usually outlast any mobs.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Sorry for double post can't edit on my phone at work.

Oh the other thing is that when you get to the harder difficulties that build is going to present some problems. I did the same thing in normal and was getting one shotted in nightmare.

It is a good base to start off with though. Just stick with it until you realize you need more survivability, and then start adding it in until you reach a good balance.

I overreacted when I started getting killed an went as far as to equip a shield and throw dps to the wind. That bit me in the but a bit as I had low damage.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• quickshotzquickshotz Member Posts: 215
    Originally posted by dubyahite
    Sorry for double post can't edit on my phone at work.

Oh the other thing is that when you get to the harder difficulties that build is going to present some problems. I did the same thing in normal and was getting one shotted in nightmare.

It is a good base to start off with though. Just stick with it until you realize you need more survivability, and then start adding it in until you reach a good balance.

I overreacted when I started getting killed an went as far as to equip a shield and throw dps to the wind. That bit me in the but a bit as I had low damage.

Yea this isnt something perma. But its a VERY EASY rotation that any newb can do (like me) and has made it so I really never drop below 60^ hp ever. This is of course 42+ with boon of protection. Pretty awesome that we can regain so much spirit that we can spam 2 second 50spirit abilitys without issue

Hah didn't even notice, you are level 42 so yeah. I'm an idiot.

I should have watched the video before running my mouth by I'm a work.

Anyway, I play with another monk and he has a lot more attack speed than I do. He does do a lot better on spirit regen than I do. His abilities are always popping off a lot faster than mine.

I have a bit of downtime on my abilities but it's not terrible. Like I said imnworking on balancing that a bit more, but I am just naturally leaning towards survivability.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Lol, that's pretty sick.  I'm going to have to try this.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Blizzard can't make money if people can't farm items. I highly doubt they overlooked this and I think they purposely let this happen so people can farm and sell like crazy.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

You founda  build that works, its not op. I kill 3 time sfaster then that with my witch doctor, but for the record, diablo is about having fun now balance. I could tell at level 15 with a monk that attackspeed is the way to go, it wasnt exactly rocket science. Tht guy needs more damage abilities in his build thats for sure though.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

stack enough dex, and not only do you 1 shot everything, even elite mobs (except of course event bosses, they take a few hits) but you can get your dodge rating to 90-99% with the dodge mantra and lightning fist dodge perk.

you dont really need alot of vitality when you have 99% dodge chance.  o and your dmg is insane because dex = monk raw % multiplyer dmg on your base weapon.  and i use a daibo for max base weapon dmg to multiply up.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by Mephster

Blizzard can't make money if people can't farm items. I highly doubt they overlooked this and I think they purposely let this happen so people can farm and sell like crazy.

rares are cheap due to 10s of thousands of the exact same items all for sale at the same time.

Added another video showing the build in action vs Belial. How long do you think this build will work. I now forsure into difficulty 3 but can it make it to inferno?

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by neorandom

stack enough dex, and not only do you 1 shot everything, even elite mobs (except of course event bosses, they take a few hits) but you can get your dodge rating to 90-99% with the dodge mantra and lightning fist dodge perk.

you dont really need alot of vitality when you have 99% dodge chance.  o and your dmg is insane because dex = monk raw % multiplyer dmg on your base weapon.  and i use a daibo for max base weapon dmg to multiply up.

seems unlikely that they allowed dodge to go that high without some sort of cap like 75 or 85%.

• DoggettDoggett Member Posts: 39
    In my main build I am focusing on getting a sick amount of health but keeping my damage up a well.

I try to keep my attack speed around 1.8 - 2 aps. I've found daggers to be the best weapons for sick attack speed. They are usually 1.6ish while the fists are 1.5.

I have about 15k health at level 45. I'm trying to balance that with damage right now my dps is 500. I could do more damage and get some more attack speed, but I'm hesitant to do so. I'm very survivable right now.

Most packs don't even hurt me in nightmare, but the ones that do I use lots of cc.

I probably won't keep it like this exactly in hell and inferno as my damage is suffering a bit, but I haven't had issues with spirit much. I ten to use as much low cost stuff as I can and when I'm reduce to no spirit I can usually outlast any mobs.

You should really hit the AH to find some better equipment, although I only have 11k health my dps is 2.5k at level 42. Must be so slow to get through anything with just 500dps

I found a new build that I really really like tonight.

It's something I dismissed early in the game, and I think it requires a lot of high level skills to be effective but it's a Daibo build. I am finding it to be very effective. Stuff hits really hard. This isn't meant to be used with dual weapons. 

I'm level 49 now btw. This build requires level 48, but some of this stuff is interchangeable. I have made some choices based on our group makeup. 

The build relies on spamming WotHF and WoL for all of it's damage. I try to use every point of spirit I generate for WoL. Hundred fists is pretty decent damage on it's own though. You could always swap out one of the defensives for another damaging ability, and I was doing that some of the time. This build could probably stand to see some tweaking a little bit as well. 

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#UeXdYh!bYd!YZYbYa

I'll explain some of my choices:

Way of the Hundred Fists: Daibo's hit really slow. I tried the other three spirit builders, but they were severely hampered by the low attack speed. This ability however, has a hard hitting first attack, the second attack is a series of fast hits that hit fast regardless of your attack speed, and the final hit hits even harder than the first usually. This seems to do more DPS than the other three and my low aspd doesn't hurt it. 

I chose the spirit rune because Daibo's don't generate spirit as fast as dual weapons. I found a need to use a lot of spirit generating abilities/runes throughout the build to be able to maintain the dps. 

Wave of light: This thing hits hard. With the explosive light rune, I think its our hardest hitting ability. This takes advantage of the Daibo's higher damage. I want to use the pillar rune when I level high enough. The lower spirit cost rune could fit this build well, but I want this thing to hit as hard as possible when I use it. It seriously hits like a truck with a Daibo. 

Breath of heaven: I'm playing with a group, so this is useful to heal others. If I was soloing I might switch this out for Serenity with the heal. As it stands I have the spirit regen rune for the reasons I mentioned earlier. 

Dashing Strike: It's really the only mobility this build has, so I needed to take it. I took the lower spirit cost to save my spirit for WoL. It could be switched with a CC rune or something, but I'm trying to maximize my spirit for WoL.

Blinding Flash: This one is totally optional. I'm using it because it helps my group greatly on the bigger packs. It's especially useful in Act 3 and beyond in nightmare. I've actually switched this slot around a lot looking for a good fit.

I've used seven sided strike, and exploding palm with good effect as well. I just really like a lot of CC.

The reduced accuracy rune for elites is very nice in preventing damage to the whole group.

Mantra: I have evasion in the build because there is almost always another monk in my group with the healing mantra. If you are soloing or not with another monk, I recommend the healing Mantra over the evasion one. Conviction is also very good in a group, but Healing is just too good not to have. 

Passives: 

Exalted soul and Gaurdian's Path: Both spirit generators. Again, it seems like the daibo is dependant on things like this. It's not very good at generating spirit without these extra sources. You could possibly tone it down on this stuff in a build, but since my only spirit using damage ability is WoL and it's very expensive, I went with as much of this stuff as I could. 

Transcendance: I never leave home without this skill. I just love it. It actually works very well with this build because you will be casting WoL a lot and it has a high casting cost. Also This gives you a lot more back than it would if WoL had the spirit reduction rune. This ability is very good in my opinion and I use it in almost every build. Your mantras will also give you a pretty decent heal from this especially if you are using the healing mantra. 

That being said, if you feel you don't need it, the build is definitely not dependant on it to pump out dps. I honestly think its the best skill to fill this slot though. 

Edited to add:

Gear: You want very high dex and a very good Daibo with this build. The damage is very dependant on the DPS of your daibo. 

What is interesting to note is that items with +% to attack speed seem to increase your damage significantly more per percent with a daibo than Dex does. When I was using dual weapons i was comparing some attack speed rings against some dex rings right before I switched over to the Daibo build. They were showing a loss of dps compared to the dex rings. I believe they were 13% aspd rings, and I don't remember how much dex was on the dex rings. 

When I made the same comparison after equipping the Daibo, the aspd rings showed a big increase of damage over the very same dex rings. 

I'm no theorycrafting wizard or anything, so maybe someone else has a better understanding of why this happened? I assume its because the Daibo only has 1.1 attack speed by default. Anyway, if you try this out it may be worth looking into for yourself and see how it compares. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Originally posted by Doggett

You should really hit the AH to find some better equipment, although I only have 11k health my dps is 2.5k at level 42. Must be so slow to get through anything with just 500dps

I should explain. The build I was talking about was a purely defensive/control based build. I almost exclusivelyplay with a group of guildmates and we usually have 4 people. 

I just use the crazy amount of CC and defensive abilities the monk has to keep the mobs off my friends. It works very well. They are all built for maximum dps glass cannon style. It's like a wizard, a demon hunter, and another monk.  They are pretty squishy, but do a very high amount of dps. It actually works pretty well keeping the mobs off of them.

It's not slow going at all. We tear through mobs like butter this way and the squishy guys rarely take much damage. And I'm there to heal them if need be.  They are able to sacrifice survivability and maximize their dps. Like I said, it goes really really fast and I can control large packs of mobs. 

That being said, I do have a dps set of gear as well as dps builds that I use. In fact the build that I just posted above about was what I was using all night last night and it's my new favorite thing in the world.  I most definitely am not using that build with 500 dps. 

Anyways, there is more than one way to skin a cat in this game, and our group setup works extremely well. I stun, blind, knockback, cyclone strike, snare, and root mobs to keep them off the dps. I have good dodge, very high health and high armor with my tanky set. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

Thanks for all this very helpful info guys. I am just getting into the monk and so far LOVE the fast paced carnage they are capable of. Since I am still in nub territory its nice to get some solid info from other players.  I kind of figured attack speed might be the way to go and this solidified it.

Thank you again! :D

BTW anyone have any ideas graphically what the skill wave of light represents? To me it looks like a giant cylinder or bell. Its a great skill but somehow looks nothing like its description.

Build is actually working great through Hell difficulty atm. I stat'ed more into life% and vitality (obv getting some dex still) so once again this build is viable. Boss fights take a little longer but who cares, never dying is AWESOME!

Be posting another video of this build vs this boss on Hell difficulty. I havnt needed to touch the build yet, just reworked my gear. Vid should be up sometime tomorrow after sleep. Builds still OP as fuck!

Ug I hate the 2 handers :P Il give it a try in a bit forsure :) 

*Just added a video of the butcher from HELL difficulty. The builds actually getting stronger as I level lol. Im actually kinda hoping this doesn't work for inferno because iv 2 buttoned my way to act 3 HELL with this lol. Would kinda enjoy being 'forced' to try something else. "Then blizzard nerfs mantra to have a 4-6second cooldown" FUCK!

• ZerdZerd Member UncommonPosts: 26

Meh... Right now I'm in hell, do just over 3k dps (not a lot for hell really... I know several DH who're hitting closer to 10k already, before Inferno). I use a variation of the build, works fine for me and I'm not even touching attack speed yet, but it lets me spam my Mantra (no it's not the FoT trick).

As for someone saying you don't need to heal when you have 99% dodge... you can't get dodge that high. Dodge suffers from diminishing returns just like in a normal MMO. If you don't believe me, check your dodge pre & post mantra of evasion when you have the Guardians Path passive selected. Even though the passive says you get a 15% chance to dodge... it does NOT give you 15%... same with the mantras.

Even with my dex which puts me at 30% dodge, the passive puts me up to 40%, adding the mantra about 53% and thats WITH the 2s bonus to dodge it gives., even though without diminishing returns, that would put me at 75% dodge.

You can't get to 99% dodge.

Yeppers. Im not 60 so I cant say for sure but iv tried to max dodge as much as I can in another build and I tapped out around 70%-80%. I hope that dude comes back and tells us his build lol. Even with my attempt at a dodge build even at 70% I took hits like crazy. doesnt seem dooable.

Stacking Dex,Vit,Minimum of 2.00 (2.40+ is better) attack speed, and Life per hit (NOT LIFESTEAL!) and as always my gear is NOT perfect. I could easily get another 200 vit and dex with the right gear, and prob another 200-300 extra dps to. Enjoy and good hunting! 

This build is VERY gear dependent.

Yea after getting resistances up a bit build seems partially viable for Inferno.

Farming Hell mode now like its nothing :D almost ready to start inferno stuff

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by quickshotz

Yea after getting resistances up a bit build seems partially viable for Inferno.

You'll probably be able to just stack one resistance and use One Wtih Everything.

Yea with the passive that icnreases all to the highest one. I actually got really lucky and have found a bunch of cheap gear with all the stats I need but also All resist so that should help. I know im going to have to slightly rework the build for inferno but the fact this basic build (as long as your properly geared) can carry you though normal to inferno is kinda awesome :D