Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Same Old MMO We've Seen a Million Times

12346»

Comments

  • xposeidonxposeidon Sandston, VAPosts: 384Member

    I think by now that it's pretty clear that the OP was being sarcastic, probably a GW2 player himself, just pointing out some of the flaws people can come up with regarding GW2 which indeed are pretty amusing.

    Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,214Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Speedhaak

    So OP, you're basically saying you are tired of Stories, Character Creation, Exploration and everything else. Here's an idea: Go find a room with four walls, enter, and stare at them 'till desire shits you elsewhere. Because that's what it sounds like you're after; entertainment devoid of content.

     And graphics. The same old 3d graphics. Antialiasing and shadows and dynamic lighting. Is anyone ever going to come up with anything new? I bet it even has texture mapping. Bleh.

    "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by cinos

    Probably the most succesful bait thread I've seen in a long time. Good job op.

    It just keeps reeling them in. :p

    agreed! and it won't stop! :)

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by cinos

    Probably the most succesful bait thread I've seen in a long time. Good job op.

    It just keeps reeling them in. :p

    agreed! and it won't stop! :)

    I'm a little sad that I don't have people eager to fund my game that corrected all of the problems pointed out in the OP.

    People on mmorpg.com have no artistic taste. :c

  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Speedhaak

    So OP, you're basically saying you are tired of Stories, Character Creation, Exploration and everything else. Here's an idea: Go find a room with four walls, enter, and stare at them 'till desire shits you elsewhere. Because that's what it sounds like you're after; entertainment devoid of content.

     And graphics. The same old 3d graphics. Antialiasing and shadows and dynamic lighting. Is anyone ever going to come up with anything new? I bet it even has texture mapping. Bleh.

     

    I know you are just trying to keep on the flaming, but I would point out that GW2 did use uncommon graphic effects such as light reflection on the blank floor and light distortion when looking through ice sculptures.  

  • SpeedhaakSpeedhaak CorkPosts: 294Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Speedhaak

    So OP, you're basically saying you are tired of Stories, Character Creation, Exploration and everything else. Here's an idea: Go find a room with four walls, enter, and stare at them 'till desire shits you elsewhere. Because that's what it sounds like you're after; entertainment devoid of content.

    wow it continues... people really don't get it? i mean seriously?

    Your medal is in the post, I mean, seriously...

  • spadge3k00spadge3k00 coventryPosts: 56Member

    thats strange, if there was no character creation we wudnt have a char to play the game so what wud be the point ?

  • cinoscinos LondonPosts: 963Member
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by cinos

    Probably the most succesful bait thread I've seen in a long time. Good job op.

    It just keeps reeling them in. :p

    agreed! and it won't stop! :)

    I'm a little sad that I don't have people eager to fund my game that corrected all of the problems pointed out in the OP.

    People on mmorpg.com have no artistic taste. :c

    Get that idea on kickstarter asap.

    It's already better than 3/4 of the things on there. ;)

  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by spadge3k00

    thats strange, if there was no character creation we wudnt have a char to play the game so what wud be the point ?

     

    Well, Lemmings is an example of a game where you don't have an actual character, but you play some form of a " God" that can do stuff to creatures in the game.  

  • spadge3k00spadge3k00 coventryPosts: 56Member
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by spadge3k00

    thats strange, if there was no character creation we wudnt have a char to play the game so what wud be the point ?

     

    Well, Lemmings is an example of a game where you don't have an actual character, but you play some form of a " God" that can do stuff to creatures in the game.  

    i see what u mean but in his perspective of Mmo char creation, wud it be really any good if ther was no customisation to ur char at all?. what r we kidding anyway were baiting in 2 this n i refuse to become troll as i havnt even played gw2 yet lol

  • DarkPonyDarkPony RotterdamPosts: 5,566Member
    Originally posted by Meowhead

     

    At first I laughed.  ... but then I really, really thought about it.

    So, i give you.... a game that's Totally Different.

    You start off as an emotional force.  You're a ball of energy.  At first you can't interact with the 'real' world much, you can just flit from NPC to NPC and indulge in their moods and attempt to shift them.  By doing this, you can gradually become more polarized as an emotion... whether you represent rage or sorrow or disdain, or whatever.  By using your powers to affect somebody's actions at appropriate times, you can affect the lives of other NPCs!  Use inappropriate rage at another person to make them feel confusion.  Devour their confusion!  Cry and whine at a stoic person until they feel frustration, then drain them as grey and depressed as your host.

    Rather than hanging out in cities, large amounts of emotion players can hang out in teenagers, insane asylum inmates, forum posters or other severely emotionally imbalanced people.

    You don't have to explore anywhere!  Stay comfortably in your host, and they will wander around for you.  Jump ship when they seem boring and they run across somebody more interesting, but you never have to take a step yourself!

    There's no story here.  Just emotionally manipulated people, sort of like some sort of extra emotive version of the Sims.

    There's rarely any outright combat, there's just emotional manipulation.  It's sort of like hanging out at highschool as a teenage girl!  Or having a Jewish mom!

    By collecting various emotions, you can use them to eventually build neuroses and other severe mental problems, giving you better hooks into your ride of choice.

    There's no direct player versus player, there's only you and the various hosts.  Even if you drive somebody's host to suicide, it's not like you're attacking them directly, any more than if you were to gank somebody's mount in WoW.

    Brilliant!  It's totally different.  I also think it should be done in lots of various colors, so it sort of looks like a version of the Sims if you are dropping acid and wearing kaleidoscope glasses.

    I can feel the critical gaming awards rolling in already, for this MMORPG that isn't afraid to contfront meaningful RL themes, and leaves behind the childish sword swinging of previous MMOs!

    I should start up a Kickstarter... For just a thousand dollars, you can get an emotion NAMED after you (I feel very... very... Darkpony.  So VERY Darkpony.)

    That's actually scary. A bit of a blueprint for alien invasion. One that we would never notice. They'll not wipe humanity out, they'll just use us to their own end and make us believe its our free will too.

    *shivers*

  • sirphobossirphobos Ames, IAPosts: 614Member Common

    In this thread: 15 pages of people who don't understand jokes.

  • RCP_utRCP_ut ...Posts: 263Member

    Its so easy, just dont play... And i dont think you will be missed :)

  • HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Speedhaak

    So OP, you're basically saying you are tired of Stories, Character Creation, Exploration and everything else. Here's an idea: Go find a room with four walls, enter, and stare at them 'till desire shits you elsewhere. Because that's what it sounds like you're after; entertainment devoid of content.

    wow it continues... people really don't get it? i mean seriously?

    I continue to be amazed at some people's innability to percieve and comprehend sarcasm or satire on fourms.  

  • HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member
    Originally posted by DarkPony
    Originally posted by Meowhead

     

    At first I laughed.  ... but then I really, really thought about it.

    So, i give you.... a game that's Totally Different.

    You start off as an emotional force.  You're a ball of energy.  At first you can't interact with the 'real' world much, you can just flit from NPC to NPC and indulge in their moods and attempt to shift them.  By doing this, you can gradually become more polarized as an emotion... whether you represent rage or sorrow or disdain, or whatever.  By using your powers to affect somebody's actions at appropriate times, you can affect the lives of other NPCs!  Use inappropriate rage at another person to make them feel confusion.  Devour their confusion!  Cry and whine at a stoic person until they feel frustration, then drain them as grey and depressed as your host.

    Rather than hanging out in cities, large amounts of emotion players can hang out in teenagers, insane asylum inmates, forum posters or other severely emotionally imbalanced people.

    You don't have to explore anywhere!  Stay comfortably in your host, and they will wander around for you.  Jump ship when they seem boring and they run across somebody more interesting, but you never have to take a step yourself!

    There's no story here.  Just emotionally manipulated people, sort of like some sort of extra emotive version of the Sims.

    There's rarely any outright combat, there's just emotional manipulation.  It's sort of like hanging out at highschool as a teenage girl!  Or having a Jewish mom!

    By collecting various emotions, you can use them to eventually build neuroses and other severe mental problems, giving you better hooks into your ride of choice.

    There's no direct player versus player, there's only you and the various hosts.  Even if you drive somebody's host to suicide, it's not like you're attacking them directly, any more than if you were to gank somebody's mount in WoW.

    Brilliant!  It's totally different.  I also think it should be done in lots of various colors, so it sort of looks like a version of the Sims if you are dropping acid and wearing kaleidoscope glasses.

    I can feel the critical gaming awards rolling in already, for this MMORPG that isn't afraid to contfront meaningful RL themes, and leaves behind the childish sword swinging of previous MMOs!

    I should start up a Kickstarter... For just a thousand dollars, you can get an emotion NAMED after you (I feel very... very... Darkpony.  So VERY Darkpony.)

    That's actually scary. A bit of a blueprint for alien invasion. One that we would never notice. They'll not wipe humanity out, they'll just use us to their own end and make us believe its our free will too.

    *shivers*

    Despite the satire, the OP's post did remind me of the Extra Credits video on non-combat gaming and how, although it has become an expected standard, games don't necessarily have to be centered around combat.  

  • xenptxenpt V.N de FamalicPosts: 430Member
    Originally posted by Grigor_Bron

    Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

    Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

    Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

    Story: This game has a story. Sound familiar? Every other MMO has a story. 

    Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

    Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

    PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

    How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

     

    Way to go

    image

  • xenptxenpt V.N de FamalicPosts: 430Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

    Anyone remembers "Populous"?

    I guess many here are a bit too young, but it was an amazing game back then in 1989... :)

     

    EDIT and Friendly PS to TwoThreeFour: Stop taking everything so seriously, specially in this thread... take a deep breath, relax ;-)

    Popolous and Magic Carpet :P

    image

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member
    Originally posted by xenpt
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

    Anyone remembers "Populous"?

    I guess many here are a bit too young, but it was an amazing game back then in 1989... :)

     

    EDIT and Friendly PS to TwoThreeFour: Stop taking everything so seriously, specially in this thread... take a deep breath, relax ;-)

    Popolous and Magic Carpet :P

    Haha yes, Magic Carpet was great!

    Same developer, but 4 or 5 years older I think no?

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • ZhauricZhauric Houston, TXPosts: 293Member
    Originally posted by binary_0011

    remove character creation

    remove cities

    remove exploration

    remove story

    remove pvp

    remove crafting

     

    May i introduce :

     

    LOL! Great thread OP and great response quoted here. Of course it probably shows my age that I remember playing that game back in the days.

12346»
This discussion has been closed.