Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same Old MMO We've Seen a Million Times

Comments

• Originally posted by Grigor_Bron
    Originally posted by bartoni33
    Originally posted by Grigor_Bron

I know this is a joke post, but is anyone going to list some alternatives for fun?

That was my original intent. But . . . this seems to have gone alot angrier than I thought it would. (And yeah, I'm breaking character now. Jeeze, you people...)

You should know better than to poke the dangerous GW2 fan. You will get bitten.

The weird thing is I wasn't trying to provoke anybody. I just assumed everyone would get it. I made it as clear as I could without it not being funny anymore. I see now that more people are in need of Darkony's goggles than I thought.

Well being a fan of TOR (leave me alone!) I understand how trigger-happy fans can be when someone wrongly criticizes your favorite game. It gets VERY OLD after awhile. VERY. You get sick of hearing jerks spouting shit about the game you enjoy. So you lash out.

I love Guild Wars 2. And I'll admit, the OP is basically what I see when reading posts like this. But the plan was to take the normal absurdly generalized parallels and make a version that was so hypergeneralized as to be clearly ridiculous and thus, you know, funny. As in a satire. What went wrong? How could anyone take this seriously? DarkPony! Quick! We're running out of goggles!

Frankly I have seen so many people say almost exactly the same thing in extreme non-trolling seriouness and having done so in forums for other games without even being prodded into it by a fanboy that its impossible to tell.

• PhaedricPhaedric Member Posts: 18

Vini,Vidi,Ego LOLed...Good one OP!

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

Some people really are blind. The OP was being humorous guys, come on.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

LMAO nice trolling :) I really laugh image

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

Story: This game has a story. Sound familiar? Every other MMO has a story. 

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players for some kind of reward. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

Except for the combat part (there is a lot of freedom there) you ust made a definiton of an MMORPG. These are probably the general characteristics of an MMORPG. If you made to much differences from this, the game would not be an MMORPG anymore. But GW2 is still an MMORPG, so most of these things apply to it.

face it, GW2 is still an MMORPG, but there is enough freshness and innovation in it to feel different from a MMOs produced before.

GW2 is going to fail exactly like GW1, you level a character get to max level then realise just like in GW1 there will be no end game content. this is where Arena.Net fails they dont care about end game raids only thing they want is for the players to get to max level then PvP. If I wanted to kill other players I'd play games like CoD, Battlefield, MoH or AAO(America's Army Online).

It may come as a shock to you but the actual percentage of MMO gamers who participate in raiding in a raid centric game like WoW is close to 10%.  Something tells me that with 7 million box sales (2nd highest behind only WoW) GW2 will do ok.  Jus saying.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Oh ok thank you for info that gw2 is the same, now move along WoW is that ====>way have fun:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

GW2 is going to fail exactly like GW1, you level a character get to max level then realise just like in GW1 there will be no end game content. this is where Arena.Net fails they dont care about end game raids only thing they want is for the players to get to max level then PvP. If I wanted to kill other players I'd play games like CoD, Battlefield, MoH or AAO(America's Army Online).

It may come as a shock to you but the actual percentage of MMO gamers who participate in raiding in a raid centric game like WoW is close to 10%.  Something tells me that with 7 million box sales (2nd highest behind only WoW) GW2 will do ok.  Jus saying.

I remember from WoW forums how people complain about all the time and resources blizzard expend on raids that only the minority of the players can do (especially heroic)

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

I am glad u appreciate the environment and the sceneries in the game :)

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

GW2 has swords too. Swords are obviously Lightsabers without the light, they removed the light in order to try to disguise the fact that they are a SW:TOR clone. Sneaky <censored>!

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

haha great post OP,  just a shame it is wasted on some posters who appear to lack the intelligence to see it for what it is ;P

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

The conclusion is 100% correct - GW2 is a WoW clone, like so many others.

The aguments are obvious trolls.

Most MMORPGs will be WoW clones from now on because of the financial difficulties in the EU inhibiting new ideas.

An exception that proves the rule is DUST 514 because Iceland are no longer in the EU and most players are American.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players for some kind of reward. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

Except for the combat part (there is a lot of freedom there) you ust made a definiton of an MMORPG. These are probably the general characteristics of an MMORPG. If you made to much differences from this, the game would not be an MMORPG anymore. But GW2 is still an MMORPG, so most of these things apply to it.

face it, GW2 is still an MMORPG, but there is enough freshness and innovation in it to feel different from a MMOs produced before.

I am sorry mate but GW1 was a very succesfull game, it was no MMORPG tough, but it is seen by both the gaming community as the press as financial advisers as a very succesfull game. Your definition of Fail does not compute with general logic.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I am sorry mate but GW1 was a very succesfull game, it was no MMORPG tough, but it is seen by both the gaming community as the press as financial advisers as a very succesfull game. Your definition of Fail does not compute with general logic.

damn! 9 pages on this thread already! Trolls really need to get back to playing WOW and D3 (when/if its working)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Agreed, GW1 is one of the top best selling PC games of all times and it beaten games like Diablo 1 & 2. It was made with a very limited budget and earned loads of cash. If that is failing I don´t know how success look.

It was however not a MMO.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Really, what the OP wrote is so hyperbolized it's impossible to belive he is serious and people actually responded seriously to him. Guessing people didn't even read the whole thing before responding and are way too defensive or ye, the sad other posibility that has been pointed out...the sadder one.

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

4 stars for the original post, 5 stars for all the replys.. :D

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

it really takes a fan to troll fanbois that much. grats to OP. I read it very early and thought meeeh, but then all the replyes came in . In oi just marveled "this can't be real"

But also scary that that many is that much on the fence , that they miss such obvius joke

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

GW2 is just like everything we've already seen before.

It's a game played on a pc with keyboard and mouse just like we've seen before. If I want to send a tell to my buddy I have to type this on the keyboard...with my fingers! And the graphics, they appear on my monitor just like everything we've seen before.

When are these developers going to learn? Sheesh.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Originally posted by Vonatar

GW2 is just like everything we've already seen before.

It's a game played on a pc with keyboard and mouse just like we've seen before. If I want to send a tell to my buddy I have to type this on the keyboard...with my fingers! And the graphics, they appear on my monitor just like everything we've seen before.

When are these developers going to learn? Sheesh.

Well yes, the "HOLODECK" hasn't been invented yet.

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207

And don't forget, this game has thousands of other players all playing at the same time in a shared world, just like every other MMO...

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Dawnstar

And don't forget, this game has thousands of other players all playing at the same time in a shared world, just like every other MMO...

SWTOR would like to argue with you about "shared" world.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I know this is a joke post, but is anyone going to list some alternatives for fun?

That was my original intent. But . . . this seems to have gone alot angrier than I thought it would. (And yeah, I'm breaking character now. Jeeze, you people...)

You should know better than to poke the dangerous GW2 fan. You will get bitten.

The weird thing is I wasn't trying to provoke anybody. I just assumed everyone would get it. I made it as clear as I could without it not being funny anymore. I see now that more people are in need of DarkPony's goggles than I thought.

Hi Grigor_Born, this is a funny post, but here at mmorpg.com the tradition is to add "#Start sarcasm" at the beginning of the post and or at least "#END Sarcasm" at the end of the post, for those of our community that just might not get it, you could still edit your Original post and add this in now to alleviate any new, …well you know what I mean.

Anyways pretty funny all-round and remember even piranha have a smile.
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    DarkPony! Quick! We're running out of goggles!

New shipment on its way in a container from China. Will take a few weeks though. In the meanwhile keep this thread going. We'll make a killing!

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Hehe this thread is full of win.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I totally agree with the OP. Just look at how they 'innovated' the quests. They removed them! That's right! Some dev had this brilliant idea to just have no quests at all! How is that innovation I ask you?!?!  *Vein in face starts to pump*

I can do that! I can also not develop things and call that innovation! *starts foaming at mouth*

And the bugs! My character almost never shows the right level! Everywhere I go, it shows a lower lvl! This is so retarded for a bug! How could they not see that?!! *head explodes*

This discussion has been closed.