Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same Old MMO We've Seen a Million Times

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Selling satire detection goggles for cheap.

Best used when you first take off your fan-visor.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

lol @ responses as an indicator of gw2 fanboi intelligence.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Dredphyre
    Originally posted by Norpan
    Hey guys. OP is obviously being ironic. Thought that was pretty clear...

No. It's actually not that clear.  If that is true, that he's trying to be ironic, then he's a horrible comedian.

" This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO."

"I want TRUE innovation!!! Round screens! 4d! The ability to play as a real engineer that builds memory cards for typewriters! A game that plays itself!"

Yes, his subsequent posts were outlandish and obvious. He had to compesate for his original failing. 

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Selling satire detection goggles for cheap.

Best used when you first take off your fan-visor.

goggles are working fine.....thnx horseman :p

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Trobon

This thread has definitely made me lose a little faith in humanity. Not because of the OP of course, but because of far, far too many people who thought he was somehow serious when the original post was ridiculous and every post he's made in the thread since have been even more so.

I guess I no longer have to wonder how anyone could mistake the Colbert Report as a serious right wing show.

The difference is that Colbert is actually a good comedian, and knows what he's doing with regard to satire.

What I find rather ironic about his 'ironic' post is that he's trying to claim that GW2 is innovative and original, and yet his ironic post is so cliche and lacks any originality.  Seen these sorts of lame attempts at irony for nearly 10 years now...for every MMO.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

No. It's actually not that clear.  If that is true, that he's trying to be ironic, then he's a horrible comedian.

" This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO."

"I want TRUE innovation!!! Round screens! 4d! The ability to play as a real engineer that builds memory cards for typewriters! A game that plays itself!"

Yes, his subsequent posts were outlandish and obvious. He had to compesate for his original failing. 

bet his posts made a fiew of us smile......posts that make people smile can never fail :p

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Are we really this bored?

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Soz OP. I fixed it for you :)

Character Creation: Ah yes, me too OP. How I tire of having the freedom to create
    a distinctive character I can relate to during my dozens of hours of adventures. /sarcasm Do a poll. Just do it. A million to one the majority calls for your assassination when you advocate the removal of character variation.

Cities: The staple of the MMO genre. Large hubs for players to meet, trade and
    do activities are not stagnant, whatever label you slap on it.

Exploration: WoW doesn't make you explore. It sheperds you from place to place, with no content in between their concentrated hubs.

Story: The thing necessary to create a game in the first place. Not really necessary to explain, and easier to wrap your head around. X - that's all it is. Maybe a Y, a B and even an A. But some formula is needed to justify the game - it's not optional, it's a fact!

Combat: I'm sorry that ArenaNet has gone and done the only thing that's humanly possible within their capabilities. I just got a bit bored waiting for your coding for a real-time combat engine that can handle the lag of millions of players at once.

I'm sure it'll get here any day now.

Crafting: If it's like every other MMO, why are you disappointed? Why are you even surprised? Regardless of how you morph crafting, it's ALWAYS going to be collect and create. Can you eat using your ears? Can you go through a brick wall by squeezing through the atomic gaps in the mortar? There are some things that are constant, no matter how you build on them.

PvP: Have you seen many other successful World v World MMOs release recently? Have you noticed that the one element of GW2 that has received UNIVERSAL praise by beta critics is its PvP? That generally indicates THAT IT IS GOOD. Last time I checked.

This post has the same crap research we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about trolling mainstream, popular products to be "special". Nothing new here. No true intelligence.

How can Grigor_Bron continue these lies, when all they are doing is creating the same biased shite we've seen a million times over?

EDIT: Saw the above. I KNOW he's joking. This post is directed to the people who are taking him seriously - I'm really sick of seeing just how stupid people are these days 'round here. Plus, I needed the lulz.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

Are we really this bored?

True time for some warband.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by oubers

bet his posts made a fiew of us smile......posts that make people smile can never fail :p

Fair enough.  

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Grigor_Bron
    Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.
    Character creation could be done through doing things similar to how fallout 3 does it.
    Ie start playing look into a mirror for model definition, keep going read some books for stats ect..

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.
    Why not capital cities and towns?

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.
    shrug

Story: This game has a story. Sound familiar? Every other MMO has a story.
    create your own story! 

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.
    Revive the Nintendo power glove!

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.
    Anno 2070 type resource gathering and manufacturing.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players. Nothing new here. No true innovation.
    Gm's VS Player (GvP)

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?
    Everything is just stardust.

I know this is a joke post, but is anyone going to list some alternatives for fun?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Grigor_BronGrigor_Bron Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by Nitth

Character Creation: Just like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 begins with character creation. You choose a race, class, gender . . . blah, blah, blah. When are MMOs going to break away from this tired formula of creating a character and then playing the game? I'm tired of it, but it keeps being regurgitated out by every game that hits the market.

Cities: Like every other MMO, Guild Wars 2 has cities. I knew as soon as I saw that there were cities in this game, just like World of Warcraft, Warhammer, and Dark Age of Camelot, this was going to be the same boring formula we've seen time and time again.

Exploration: As if it were copied straight off of World of Warcraft, this game forces you to explore places to advance the story.

Combat: This is where it is most obvious that Guild Wars 2 is just another WOW clone. The combat is just the standard repetition of hitting things, shooting things, and casting spells . . . LAME. And you do all this WITH WEAPONS. Plus, what is it you fight? That's right, monsters and bandits and crap, just like every other MMO.

Crafting: Crafting is the same in Guild Wars 2 as it is in every other MMO there is. You get equipment, collect supplies, and then turn that supplies into weapons and armor and stuff -- exactly like every other MMO.

PvP: Finally, this game has the same PvP we've seen a thousand times. Once again, it's all about players fighting other players. Nothing new here. No true innovation.

How can ArenaNet continue these lies about innovating, creating a unique experience, and changing the genre, when all they are doing is creating the same game we've seen a million times over?

I know this is a joke post, but is anyone going to list some alternatives for fun?

That was my original intent. But . . . this seems to have gone alot angrier than I thought it would. (And yeah, I'm breaking character now. Jeeze, you people...)

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Yeah OP is (not so?) obviously being sarcastic. His posr reeks of it. No one can type that post and be honest about it. He hits on everything that actually makes a game a game. Leave out what he is "complaining" about and you just have a test pattern.

Just saying.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Originally posted by Nitth

That was my original intent. But . . . this seems to have gone alot angrier than I thought it would. (And yeah, I'm breaking character now. Jeeze, you people...)

You should know better than to poke the dangerous GW2 fan. You will get bitten.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Ever-AngelEver-Angel Member Posts: 46

you had me going there with the tittle, then i saw that you ware trolling : )

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Beta weekend event down sydrome in effect :(

Originally posted by bartoni33

The weird thing is I wasn't trying to provoke anybody. I just assumed everyone would get it. I made it as clear as I could without it not being funny anymore. I see now that more people are in need of DarkPony's goggles than I thought.

The weird thing is I wasn't trying to provoke anybody. I just assumed everyone would get it. I made it as clear as I could without it not being funny anymore. I see now that more people are in need of Darkony's goggles than I thought.

Well I thought it was decent satire.

People get edgy on game forums. Sports forums is much easier to be sarcastic.

Yeah OP is (not so?) obviously being sarcastic. His posr reeks of it. No one can type that post and be honest about it. He hits on everything that actually makes a game a game. Leave out what he is "complaining" about and you just have a test pattern.

Just saying.

Problem is, I've read the very exact sort of post from people being serious when said post applies to other games.  That's why it's not very successful irony. It would be more successful if more people were exposed to GW2 and had a chance to play it.  But as it reads now, it's the same earnest criticism that I've read with regard to LOTRO, to SWTOR, to any number of MMOs post-WoW. 

The weird thing is I wasn't trying to provoke anybody. I just assumed everyone would get it. I made it as clear as I could without it not being funny anymore. I see now that more people are in need of Darkony's goggles than I thought.

Well being a fan of TOR (leave me alone!) I understand how trigger-happy fans can be when someone wrongly criticizes your favorite game. It gets VERY OLD after awhile. VERY. You get sick of hearing jerks spouting shit about the game you enjoy. So you lash out.

Well being a fan of TOR (leave me alone!) I understand how trigger-happy fans can be when someone wrongly criticizes your favorite game. It gets VERY OLD after awhile. VERY. You get sick of hearing jerks spouting shit about the game you enjoy. So you lash out.

I feel your pain on that. I think the greatest mmo pvp is actually on the forums. In fact, here are gamers in a 16 second clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc

I love Guild Wars 2. And I'll admit, the OP is basically what I see when reading posts like this. But the plan was to take the normal absurdly generalized parallels and make a version that was so hypergeneralized as to be clearly ridiculous and thus, you know, funny. As in a satire. What went wrong? How could anyone take this seriously? DarkPony! Quick! We're running out of goggles!

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

I can't believe your all responding to the OP. When are you going to get it through your hard heads that this is nothing but ant-prop? When? #$@#@# Heads!

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Best GW2 troll yet, thank you OP

•  I figured it was a facetious joke and not a troll but wasn't sure. 

This discussion has been closed.