Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lies, Damned Lies and MMORPG Forum Posts: The Truth about TSW

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by cutthecrap
    It's kind of ridiculous how a number of MMO gamers on these forums think that making the questing more interesting and immersive than a bare bones task list, makes an MMORPG a SPRPG. As if one excludes the other.

That kind of binary thinking really is 'Alice in Wonderland' type of logic

What makes it a SPRPG is that all through CB, I never once needed to group. In fact the way the quests are designed, group is actually counterproductive to getting your tasks done since you will be holding up everyone else's progression while you complete yours while they are doing the same to you.

I agree with that in a way.. questing in this game was not setup to encourage grouping in anyway and yes like you said how its tiered it's actually counterproductive to group.. but grouping is what Ill have GW2 for:) like SWTOR I basically played for the story and to co-op with friends when I could and run an instance now and again.  I don't expect TSW to be a long term game for me.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

It's kind of ridiculous how a number of MMO gamers on these forums think that making the questing more interesting and immersive than a bare bones task list, makes an MMORPG a SPRPG. As if one excludes the other.

What makes it a SPRPG is that all through CB, I never once needed to group. In fact the way the quests are designed, group is actually counterproductive to questing.

This. ^

And let's not forget to mention that the majority of "dungeons" are designed for, and locked to, ONE player so they don't "ruin the story". At least even ToR beat them here, allowing you to bring your group into storyline dungeons and even allowing those in your group to interact/make choices with you. TSW has none of that. Tehn again, TSW doesn't even give YOU dialog choices ( or even the illusion of choice such as in ToR ), much less your group.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

What makes it a SPRPG is that all through CB, I never once needed to group. In fact the way the quests are designed, group is actually counterproductive to questing.

If you are questing like that, you where doing it wrong.

The quest are re-doable, so if you have friends, a guild, or anyone realy you can group and not have that issue.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Arkain

Originally posted by cutthecrap It's kind of ridiculous how a number of MMO gamers on these forums think that making the questing more interesting and immersive than a bare bones task list, makes an MMORPG a SPRPG. As if one excludes the other.   That kind of binary thinking really is 'Alice in Wonderland' type of logic  

The quest are re-doable, so if you have friends, a guild, or anyone realy you can group and not have that issue.

Ok, sure. But why? It's just easier to do it yourself. Especially when someone's gonna have to do it twice.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Crunchy221

So how long are we going to continue complaining about combat while having access to only the most basic of skills, which are intended to prevent new players from gimping themselfs by choosing a wrong pairing?  How long are we going to keep calling the game repetative...as if were only locked into one map and need to do the repeatables for lack of other things to do?

Unless your a CBT and have played more maps and have experemented with high tier skills...im not interested in how lame combat is at "level 5" because im only going to be using those skills a short period of time

For a very long time.  People just enjoy trolling.  I personally would rather have the elements of a TSW then jsut about any other game.  I dont care how negative some people get about the game, to each their own.  TSW might not be mainstream but I could care less, the things it does well more then makes up any negatives for ME.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Why is it that some players feel that grouping must be "encouraged"?

Isn't that what the real "dungeons" in a MMORPG are for (a singal player "dungeons", is not a "dungeons" it is an "instance")?

What is an MMORPG, is it suppose to "correct" and "encourage" us like we are all bloody children?

Or is it suppose to be fun, and if you don't fine it fun, why spend so much time on a forum for it?

Sometimes, just sometimes......I feel for some of you, and that is a pity. image

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by //\//\oo
    Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by Torvaldr Originally posted by DannyGlover This is the only forum I've ever known where people create new threads in response to troll posts in other threads. Seriously, you're feeding trolls before they even ask for a menu.
    You nailed it.  Although you should know by now what "spotlight poster" really means. :p
      lol indeed

Oh, my feelings are so hurt. It's ironic how nobody has refuted any of the points I've made while this forum is bustling with claims of how wonderful a puzzle MMO this really is. 

Maybe it's because I'm not being paid to promote products. Just a thought. At least not this one...

Not trying to hurt your feelings. But this is funny because I'm about to write verbatim what someone else wrote in a GW2 troll thread just a couple hours ago. You don't have a point. You have opinions on game aspects. What is there to refute exactly? That your opinions are your own? Others may share them, others wont. This thread is basically a feeble discussion about the validity of your personal preferences on a video game. Its actually pointless. But sadly, thats what these forums are to some people. A way to incite pointless forum pvp instead of actually talking about a game you find interesting. Defend your right to be a cynic and pretend you're a fan of the genre. Its what people seem to do best around here.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by cutthecrap It's kind of ridiculous how a number of MMO gamers on these forums think that making the questing more interesting and immersive than a bare bones task list, makes an MMORPG a SPRPG. As if one excludes the other.   That kind of binary thinking really is 'Alice in Wonderland' type of logic  

Ok, sure. But why? It's just easier to do it yourself. Especially when someone's gonna have to do it twice.

Lots of things are easier to do yourself, but most of those are MORE FUN if you do it with someone else. image

Isn't that what the real "dungeons" in a MMORPG are for (a singal player "dungeons", is not a "dungeons" it is an "instance")?

What is an MMORPG, is it suppose to "correct" and "encourage" us like we are all bloody children?

Or is it suppose to be fun, and if you don't fine it fun, why spend so much time on a forum for it?

Sometimes, just sometimes......I feel for some of you, and that is a pity. image

most people play MMOs to play with lots of other people.. if not you could just play a srpg and probably get a much better story experience.. problem is in games like SWTOR that don't really have any real incentives to group it ends up being just a srpg with mmo options taked on..  I find if i game doesn't offer some incentives or designs some quests around grouping then grouping just doesn't happen as much.. just how these games are nowadays..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by DannyGlover This is the only forum I've ever known where people create new threads in response to troll posts in other threads. Seriously, you're feeding trolls before they even ask for a menu.
    You nailed it.  Although you should know by now what "spotlight poster" really means. :p
      lol indeed

Oh, my feelings are so hurt. It's ironic how nobody has refuted any of the points I've made while this forum is bustling with claims of how wonderful a puzzle MMO this really is. 

Maybe it's because I'm not being paid to promote products. Just a thought. At least not this one...

Not trying to hurt your feelings. But this is funny because I'm about to write verbatim what someone else wrote in a GW2 troll thread just a couple hours ago. You don't have a point. You have opinions on game aspects. What is there to refute exactly? That your opinions are your own? Others may share them, others wont. This thread is basically a feeble discussion about the validity of your personal preferences on a video game. Its actually pointless. But sadly, thats what these forums are to some people. A way to incite pointless forum pvp instead of actually talking about a game you find interesting. Defend your right to be a cynic and pretend you're a fan of the genre. Its what people seem to do best around here.

+ 10 for DannyGlover, but -5 becouse you stole it from someone else,...but +7 for finding it on the GW2 forum. image

Why is it that some players feel that grouping must be "encouraged"?Isn't that what the real "dungeons" in a MMORPG are for (a singal player "dungeons", is not a "dungeons" it is an "instance")?What is an MMORPG, is it suppose to "correct" and "encourage" us like we are all bloody children?Or is it suppose to be fun, and if you don't fine it fun, why spend so much time on a forum for it?Sometimes, just sometimes......I feel for some of you, and that is a pity. 

No one said it must be encouraged.....But someone did challenge the notion that the game has been deemed another online SPRPG. But the truth is. It is. But then again, So is WoW prior to level cap. But any game where quests chain heavily off each other, are going to discourage grouping. Rift is one of the better Theme Park MMOs (IMO) currently available. And yet, it's probably one of the worst games to level with a buddy using the quest system.

To me, it's not the end of the world to solo in an MMORPG. But in the event I may have an opportunity to group. It shouldn't be made more difficult to do so.

Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by //\//\oo Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by Torvaldr Originally posted by DannyGlover This is the only forum I've ever known where people create new threads in response to troll posts in other threads. Seriously, you're feeding trolls before they even ask for a menu.
      lol indeed
        Oh, my feelings are so hurt. It's ironic how nobody has refuted any of the points I've made while this forum is bustling with claims of how wonderful a puzzle MMO this really is.  Maybe it's because I'm not being paid to promote products. Just a thought. At least not this one...    
    + 10 for DannyGlover, but -5 becouse you stole it from someone else,...but +7 for finding it on the GW2 forum. 

lol I worded that wrong. I was basically rewriting what I wrote in response to a similar topic in the GW2 forum earlier. SO i guess I stole it from myself haha!

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

most people play MMOs to play with lots of other people.. if not you could just play a srpg and probably get a much better story experience.. problem is in games like SWTOR that don't really have any real incentives to group it ends up being just a srpg with mmo options taked on..  I find if i game doesn't offer some incentives or designs some quests around grouping then grouping just doesn't happen as much.. just how these games are nowadays..

TSW does not make grouping a must, and I like that. I only group with friends and giuld members, and few others. 

Some MMORPGs did try to make it almost mandatory (FF, was one, or so I have read), and they saw the error of their ways and fix it.

I am not much for playing srpgs, they always seem to be missing something.

I like seeing people in the world, even if I am not going to group with them, I still want to see them.

i.e. In real life, I like seeing peaple in the the city I live in, but that does not mean that I will deal with any of them, unlese I know them for some reason.

So for me, thats not an issue.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by DannyGlover This is the only forum I've ever known where people create new threads in response to troll posts in other threads. Seriously, you're feeding trolls before they even ask for a menu.
      lol indeed
        Oh, my feelings are so hurt. It's ironic how nobody has refuted any of the points I've made while this forum is bustling with claims of how wonderful a puzzle MMO this really is.  Maybe it's because I'm not being paid to promote products. Just a thought. At least not this one...    
    + 10 for DannyGlover, but -5 becouse you stole it from someone else,...but +7 for finding it on the GW2 forum. 
    lol I worded that wrong. I was basically rewriting what I wrote in response to a similar topic in the GW2 forum earlier. SO i guess I stole it from myself haha!

Ok, you get the full +17, DG good going image

• ruejacobsruejacobs Member UncommonPosts: 41

I like seeing people in the world, even if I am not going to group with them, I still want to see them.

i.e. In real life, I like seeing people in the the city I live in, but that does not mean that I will deal with any of them, unless I know them for some reason.

Lol.

TSW does not make grouping a must, and I like that. I only group with friends and giuld members, and few others. 

Some MMORPGs did try to make it almost mandatory (FF, was one, or so I have read), and they saw the error of their ways and fix it.

i.e. In real life, I like seeing peaple in the the city I live in, but that does not mean that I will deal with any of them, unlese I know them for some reason.

I'am as well don't get me wrong I don't care for "forced" grouping usually. But I do enjoy when a games questing is done in a way it can be soloed but also you can easily just pick up another person along the way and continue the questing.. sort of a drag if Im 8 of 12 on a quest and my buddy is 1 of 12 and I need to wait for him or go back though all 7 tiers again to get him to catch up. Not a huge deal but just something I like in these games..

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I am not quite sure I understand this... These are the same developers who gave us the excellent combat in AOC, WHAT HAPPENED? 

Originally posted by eddieg50
      I am not quite sure I understand this... These are the same developers who gave us the excellent combat in AOC, WHAT HAPPENED?
    not the same developers.

I'am as well don't get me wrong I don't care for "forced" grouping usually. But I do enjoy when a games questing is done in a way it can be soloed but also you can easily just pick up another person along the way and continue the questing.. sort of a drag if Im 8 of 12 on a quest and my buddy is 1 of 12 and I need to wait for him or go back though all 7 tiers again to get him to catch up. Not a huge deal but just something I like in these games..

See I never had an issue with going back and helping someone out, I had grouped with cach up to me, even if the group disbands before it gets up to my tier becouse it is the interaction with another person that I was looking for, not becouse I had to have someone, but becouse I wanted them there.

TSW seems to understand that, you can do the quest alone, but also with a friend as well.

TSW does not make grouping a must, and I like that. I only group with friends and giuld members, and few others.  Some MMORPGs did try to make it almost mandatory (FF, was one, or so I have read), and they saw the error of their ways and fix it. I am not much for playing srpgs, they always seem to be missing something. I like seeing people in the world, even if I am not going to group with them, I still want to see them. i.e. In real life, I like seeing peaple in the the city I live in, but that does not mean that I will deal with any of them, unlese I know them for some reason. So for me, thats not an issue.  
    See I never had an issue with going back and helping someone out, I had grouped with cach up to me, even if the group disbands before it gets up to my tier becouse it is the interaction with another person that I was looking for, not becouse I had to have someone, but becouse I wanted them there.

TSW seems to understand that, you can do the quest alone, but also with a friend as well.

I think there are a lot of gamers who are the same way. They will selflessly go back and help the noob. This is great. But then, he has caught up to you and you go on and do some quests and have some fun together and eventually call it a day. But now you don't log in for a couple days and now the other guy is way ahead of you and now he has to go back and help you catch up and on and on the cycle goes and in the end it took you guys twice as long to level and you can say all you want about how willing you are to do it, but I'll tell you it get's frustrating. My brother and I did this in WoW. Several months prior to the WOTLK release, we had decided we wanted new characters in the upcoming expansion. I cannot begin to tell you how much work it was to maintain our levels and quest logs to remain compatible. If he and I didn't plan out or online time together outside the game, it would never have worked. And we both had to be willing to commit that we wouldn't get ahead of each other when one was online and the other wasn't. While I admit it was kinda cool, I'll also admit that It really wasn't worth it and I probably wouldn't do it again in games like these. And I am talking about my brother, not a guildie.

not the same developers.

It isnt?  funcom did not make AOC and TSW

Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by eddieg50   I am not quite sure I understand this... These are the same developers who gave us the excellent combat in AOC, WHAT HAPPENED?
    not the same developers.  

He's talking about the actual team.
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Agree. One of the reasons I like TSW as well.  many times I've just joined another in downing the evil horrors of this game and vice versa. I'm not sure about the longevity...for me personally. Once you know the investigative/puzzle stuff then a nice little part of what made this game a bit different is pretty much gone. I'll ride it out though as I really enjoy the storyline and  ambience they've achieved. It is downright wierd and succesfully creepy at some points.

I  like your grouping/solo analogy using your RL city, which is my RL city as well. We actually know each other though its been more than a decade since I've larped and years since I last ran into you at The Castle. Glad to see you're still gaming strong.

Originally posted by eddieg50   I am not quite sure I understand this... These are the same developers who gave us the excellent combat in AOC, WHAT HAPPENED?
    not the same developers.  

that is what is known as a "lack of communication" it got Paul Newman killed and may very well of killed TSW.  "Hey lets see what our fellow Funcom guys did with AOC" "nope were doing our own thing!"     "Ok?"

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by eddieg50   I am not quite sure I understand this... These are the same developers who gave us the excellent combat in AOC, WHAT HAPPENED?
    not the same developers.  

that is what is known as a "lack of communication" it got Paul Newman killed and may very well of killed TSW.  "Hey lets see what our fellow Funcom guys did with AOC" "nope were doing our own thing!"     "Ok?"

"Cool Hand Luke" reference ftw.

This discussion has been closed.