Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sacraficial Permadeath: What would it take for you to willingly sacrifice a character?

robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661

This isn't the type of permadeath where you die from an enemies sword, and thats it, your done.    This type of permadeath is instagated by your character, and you the player have complete control over the yes/no.  This usually will involve some sort of story quest, or even a one-time world event.  (Such as a charcter(s) need to sacrifice himself in order to keep a dark god from arising)

My question is what would it take you to willingly sacrifice your character permanetly in the game?

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I voted "Boob slider goes further to the right on consecutive playthroughs".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

In Game character statue.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

It would have to be some type of ingame recognition.  I wouldnt do it for the story because a game that requires you to kill your character when its permadeath is just plain stupid. And starting the character at the same level would require somewhat similar level gear in games like that to survive so again, that would be pointless.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

A Godzilla-sized  statue of the character that occasionally comes to life and tramples villages until enough virgins are sacrificed to appease it.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

If I don't need it for PvP then I'd do it even for the story if its any good. I have no attachment to my characters.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

It actually depends.

What kind of game is it?

Is it a one server game or a multiple server game?

Is there FFA PvP with full loot?

Whats the setting, fantasy, scifi, modern day?

Is it a gear based game?

Are there "good" Gods as well?

Is it a level based game?

Quest grind, mob grind, sandbox, themepark, something else?

In order for me to give an answer I would need to know a bit more about the game in question. What the game "is" has great influence over my decision.

If it's a free to play I would be less demanding than if it was a pay to play for example but it also becomes less meaningful.

In short I don't have enough information to answer this question.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Mabinogis rebirth system allowed you to keep all previously learned skills. Combined with the age/stats system I think it was a pretty neat.

Wouldn't translate well over into the modern WoW model of mmo's though.

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51

Do not give me anything, just don't make the game about obtaining loot. We got so caught up in loot-centric games that permadeath is viewed as a game concept that only mad men who live in caves would suggest. If the game is an MMO, or something of a simlar online experience, the challenge alone should help forge the playerbase.

• robert4818robert4818 Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by DarSepki

Do not give me anything, just don't make the game about obtaining loot. We got so caught up in loot-centric games that permadeath is viewed as a game concept that only mad men who live in caves would suggest. If the game is an MMO, or something of a simlar online experience, the challenge alone should help forge the playerbase.

And the award for most tenuously "on-topic" rant goes to....

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Not a new mechanic at all.   Developers are just too conviced players are too ego centric to take it as a gameplay mechanic.   Only games that have such are muds, and Mabinogi.  Though other games do have permadeath.

http://www.mud.co.uk/dvw/whatisremort.html

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by DarSepki

Yes, yes! Make a game that's fun enought to play in it's own right, a game in which obtaining loot or power or status is a secondary purpose or concept. The game itself, the challenge should help forge a community. 

Not that I love the idea of permadeath anyway. Again, the challenge should be enough for forge a community, and we shouldn't need the fear of permanent loss. But as always, more options in things like this are going to be better.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

When I was talking a lot about TTS on this site I had a thread about a system involving permadeath.

Essentially you could sacrifice a character to cast one of a powerful class of spells in a situation that was otherwise hopeless.

Characters who did so would get a special epithet with a small set of bonus powers based on their character's power. Furthermore, characters who had a certain level of connection to that character and were present at the event would gain a similarly named epithet with a smaller group of bonuses.

The game was a persistant virtual world that functioned as a giant RTS game. So making that sacrifice could be very strategic, to save an important town or structure for instance.

Also you would keep all epithets on your character if you did this again.

Furthermore a reality wide announcement would go out, there was a flavor reason why this made sense, so that everyone in the game would know that you had given up something valuable to help the whole player base.

The spells were obtained by exploring the world, since this was how all magic is learned. Also you could create a magic linkage and allow multiple characters to sacrifice their lives, for a more powerful effect and a different epithet with even better bonuses for each player involved.

The reason why I added this mechanic was that it was something I personally would give up a character for if needed.

Thusly I wish we could have ticked off more than one option on the poll since multiple answers interest me.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I remember a game called Astonia 3 where you started out with a Mage and Warrior, and if you got to a certain point in the game you could choose to start at level  1 again as an upgraded version of your class, or sort of a Hybrid class.

You'd lose a lot of power, but with enough patience you'd be better eventually, it was pretty cool.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

revenge system

1) ability to put bounty on the person who killed you. That person can be killed server wide without any penalty for the hunter.

2) Inheritance system - The next character inherits x nof skills welth etc .I addition he receive special buff on his stats

Originally posted by sassoonss

revenge system

1) ability to put bounty on the person who killed you. That person can be killed server wide without any penalty for the hunter.

2) Inheritance system - The next character inherits x nof skills welth etc .I addition he receive special buff on his stats

Did you just read the word Permadeath in the title and use a canned answer?  This really makes no sense in regards to the op

Originally posted by robert4818
    Originally posted by sassoonss

revenge system

Did you just read the word Permadeath in the title and use a canned answer?  This really makes no sense in regards to the op

yup

Originally posted by robert4818

This isn't the type of permadeath where you die from an enemies sword, and thats it, your done.    This type of permadeath is instagated by your character, and you the player have complete control over the yes/no.  This usually will involve some sort of story quest, or even a one-time world event.  (Such as a charcter(s) need to sacrifice himself in order to keep a dark god from arising)

My question is what would it take you to willingly sacrifice your character permanetly in the game?

in game recognition a statue or some monument in the wilderness etc

In addition ability to reincarnate the spirit back in another human form tha gets some of the traits inherited from his his ancestors

this can be done my marriage system ( single player game The Guild) So your blood line would continue

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, if you have a sacrificial permadeath with some kind of bonus, obviously people will powerlevel characters in order to archieve that bonus.

So I guess if I would introduce sacrificial permadeath, I would do it like this:

- The option for permadeath chance is random and quite low. It only pops up in certain, very tough areas. Areas that need a full, well coordinated group, good, well equipped players, and that are only accessible on special occasions, preferably in some kind of "sacrificial" theme, such as defending a city from a horde of bandits "Seven Samurai" - style.

- Once a character dies and accepts the permadeath option, the groupleader gets a special item in their inventory. The power of this item depends upon the character who permadied - not just their level, but also the power of their equipment, the time they've been playing, and the secondary skills the character in question had archieved (trade skills, WoW style fishing, Vanguard style diplomacy, etc). The more the character in question had in these respects, the better the item the groupleader gets.

- This sacrificial object can then be used to create an artifact. Artifact are special items: they need a huge amount of ressources to create, one such sacrificial permadeath object, and a large number of players of the same race than the character who had died, all of whom have to spend hours together at the same place in order to focus their magical energies (for this special spell, non-spellcasters can attend and help, too) for the creation of the artifact. The artifacts createable this way are very powerful, and depend upon race; i.e. any race has a specific list of artifacts it may create, and members of other races cannot use these. Also, any player can at most only use one artifact at any given time. Artifacts are freely tradeable, but they stay with you if you die. Finally, of course the actual power of the artifact depends upon the combined power of the sacrificial permadeath objects.

- There could be additional options. For example, there could be class artifacts as well, such as the famous D&D Holy Avenger sword of the Paladin. In this case the item would be class dependent.

- Oh, and another thing: the power of the permadeath reward item would also depend upon the number of quests the character in question has solved.

Sadly, none of the options in your poll fit to my ideas about sacrificial permadeath.

Round one of your life/death cycle human.   Round two a different race elf/drow/orc/whatever.  Round three a 'magical' race Ent/Dryad/Faun/Kitsune/Golem/Undead.

It's not the difficult or even original to get remort mechanics.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by anemo

Round one of your life/death cycle human.   Round two a different race elf/drow/orc/whatever.  Round three a 'magical' race Ent/Dryad/Faun/Kitsune/Golem/Undead.

Yeap. Some kind of Account XP, so you dont lose everything if your character permanently dies, or even more get access to something new. There would be a lot of mechanics to features permadeath in a meaningful and not so unforgiving way.

Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by anemo

Yeap. Some kind of Account XP, so you dont lose everything if your character permanently dies, or even more get access to something new. There would be a lot of mechanics to features permadeath in a meaningful and not so unforgiving way.

All well and good, but it dodges the point of the OP.  Your discussion is more at home in a discussion of general permadeath, not with what it would take for you to sacrifice a character.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Quitting the game, go out with a bang instead of a whimper. You know, some form of explosion downtown that covers everyone in bits of goo.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Remort does not mean permadeath.   Games that have remort mechanics rarely have permadeath(but pretty high exp penalties and resurection requiring player help).

Remort is  more along the lines of going through a ritual that involves stabbing a dagger in your heart to become something else.   There are no random PvP gankers, going for the boss won't have some of your buddies disappearing from your group for a week while they level.

_______

all in all read the OP.