Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Project Copernicus Flythrough Video Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Even with all of the gloom and doom news hitting the net about 38Studios' financial difficulties, the team working on "Project Copernicus", an MMO based in the same world as Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, has released a new flythrough video. In addition, the team is anticipating Copernicus's release in mid-2013. Enjoy!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

after watching this vid i was very pissed. this is what they were keep under wraps? just from the flythough it looks just horrable. very dissapointed now.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99

Looks lovingly hand crafted with a beautiful art style and epic in scope.  Once it gets polished up (like with AA) I bet its going to be phenomenal.  Too bad we'll likely never see it, as 38 Studios is broke.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

Looks like KoA:R.  Would love to see a title and some gameplay.  I don't think this was a solution to the bad press over the past couple of days. 

As a veteran MMO player, it doesn't give me any confidence that they game will be any good.  I finished KoA:R too and that game got worse ... or at least didn't get better as things went along.  Good combat system, but incredibly generic story with way too many elvish type of characters.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    I've been looking forward to more info about this game. Have to admit the art style isn't what I was hoping for. Still, would like to hear more about the gameplay.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

LOVING the art style.

Very unique architecture and world design. Can't wait to hear more about the gameplay itself, but the musical soundtrack and the graphical uniqueness already has me hooked. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• GelthidorGelthidor Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Rohn
    I've been looking forward to more info about this game. Have to admit the art style isn't what I was hoping for. Still, would like to hear more about the gameplay.

What did you honestly expect from the guy who drew some of the most colorful, serious comic books out there?

Anyways, I personally like the art style, it takes advantage of color, while still staying realistic enough to make you say "wow"...and inb4WoWjoke :P

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I'm sorry but it HAS to be said.

This LOOKS like a Carbon-Copy of WoW. I'm going to start calling this art-style "WoWlyzed Art".

I'll say it again, if people want WoW they'll play WOW ffs!!!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

This LOOKS like a Carbon-Copy of WoW. I'm going to start calling this art-style "WoWlyzed Art".

I try...HEAVILY....to avoid calling things WoW-clones. I think Alganon was the only one I did it for, and that was because they quite literally lifted textures from WoW up until fans bithced during beta!

And even still, having watched this video and having played KoA:Reckoning, it's hard to see this game as anything but highly inspired by WoW. The masonry and architecture look good, but my god the vegetation...2005 called, they want their horrible trees back. 

On the upside, if this uses KoA's combat, it will be a LOT of fun. That was the one thing that game did right. It was like haivng Dynasty Warrior style battles in a WoW setting.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by terrant

I try...HEAVILY....to avoid calling things WoW-clones. I think Alganon was the only one I did it for, and that was because they quite literally lifted textures from WoW up until fans bithced during beta!

And even still, having watched this video and having played KoA:Reckoning, it's hard to see this game as anything but highly inspired by WoW. The masonry and architecture look good, but my god the vegetation...2005 called, they want their horrible trees back. 

On the upside, if this uses KoA's combat, it will be a LOT of fun. That was the one thing that game did right. It was like haivng Dynasty Warrior style battles in a WoW setting.

Well the combat didn't do KoA any good, as it still flopped misserably! Hence, why they are in financial trouble now.

KoA was just a boring game. They probably just quickly made it, rush it out of the door in hope to rake in enough cash to fund their Copernicus project.

It sertainly felt that way.

And seeing this flythrough video doesn't inspire me much. As do we really need YET another WoW clone...ehh  "inspired" MMO on the market? After so many have failed already?

With current economic difficult times, even in the US, I don't think it's fair to have the local government over there start using people's hard earned tax money into saving this studio!

They will never recoup their losses, as this game will flop just as hard as their KoA game did!

Sorry... might sound harsh... but it's just a total waste of tax money.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Well the combat didn't do KoA any good, as it still flopped misserably! Hence, why they are in financial trouble now.

KoA was just a boring game. They probably just quickly made it, rush it out of the door in hope to rake in enough cash to fund their Copernicus project.

It sertainly felt that way.

And seeing this flythrough video doesn't inspire me much. As do we really need YET another WoW clone...ehh  "inspired" MMO on the market? After so many have failed already?

With current economic difficult times, even in the US, I don't think it's fair to have the local government over there start using people's hard earned tax money into saving this studio!

They will never recoup their losses, as this game will flop just as hard as their KoA game did!

Sorry... might sound harsh... but it's just a total waste of tax money.

KoA's problem was it tried to be Skyrim, and failed horribly. So they made it a BIG world. The problem was it was a big empty world, quests were generally the repetitive wow-style kill 5 rats things, the story was nearly incomprehensible, you could outlevel quests very easily, and just overall the parts of the world didn't feel like they fit together. Oh, and inventory management was a chore. Combat was THE thing Amalur did right.

I'm not arguing with you, if 38 wants to make an MMO, they're going to have to....wait for it...wow me. (mass groaning ensues)

I'm not really feeling positive about the game after seeing this video either, but I'ma give it some time, see what else it has going for it.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by terrant

If that's what you are looking for then that is what you are going  to find.

I love the way it looked. I also REALLY enjoyed the music. Will be nice to see this game come to release, if just for the world glimpsed in the video.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Wtf....Just horrible...

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I don't think that video is going to convince the state of Rhode Island to lend them money, or any Angel investors to jump in and save them.

I wonder how much of Schilling's millions went into the studio?

He talked like he wanted to really bring a new game to the genre that would be what fans have been wanting and no one was delivering, then he makes a game like this?

KoA was a big dissapointment to me. If the game had been anything like Skyrim in scope and game play, I may have been able to forgive the WoW-like art style, but the game felt like it stepped out of the 90s. My hopes for the MMO were dashed by KoA and seeing this video does nothing to inspire confidence.

Maybe SoE will buy them out? This looks right up their alley.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

KoA was a big dissapointment to me. If the game had been anything like Skyrim in scope and game play, I may have been able to forgive the WoW-like art style, but the game felt like it stepped out of the 90s. My hopes for the MMO were dashed by KoA and seeing this video does nothing to inspire confidence.

If KOA was anything like Skyrim(ala Oblivion: Dragon Grinding Edition), I would not have touched it with even a stick. 

KOA actually had an engaging COLORFUL world, good old-school lore, rpg systems and actually blended combat and rpg parts really well.

Coampred to Skyrims "skeltons, skeletons, lets bash skeletons by clicking mouse and jumping bakwards and then lets go back to that brown tundra~", KOA is miles above that. 

Skyrim was too cinematic. I would not even call it a real RPG. Bethesda has not created a good game since Morrowind(which was awesome.

KOA on other hand...have not enjoyed an rpg this much since the masterpiece that was Dragon Age Origins. 

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Im in the minority, but I felt the combat was horrible in KoA......I mean I'd left click once and my character would swing his weapon 6 or 7 times while hte mob just stood there helpless......The ranged combat was terrible as you couldnt hit the broad side of a barn until you were in ranged, then once in range it autolocked......Tha magic system felt awkward and didnt go where I was trying to get it to go.....SKyrim was just light years better than KoA in every way, shape, and form.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Im in the minority, but I felt the combat was horrible in KoA......I mean I'd left click once and my character would swing his weapon 6 or 7 times while hte mob just stood there helpless......The ranged combat was terrible as you couldnt hit the broad side of a barn until you were in ranged, then once in range it autolocked......Tha magic system felt awkward and didnt go where I was trying to get it to go.....SKyrim was just light years better than KoA in every way, shape, and form.

your not in the minority. some people like that cartoonishly bright colored world to romp around in. i myself perfer it to be alittle more toned down and realistic.

[mod edit]

but if this is the mmo 38 wants to put out then theres no way in hell there goin to get any of my money.

[mod edit]
    Originally posted by Yuui

If KOA was anything like Skyrim(ala Oblivion: Dragon Grinding Edition), I would not have touched it with even a stick. 

KOA actually had an engaging COLORFUL world, good old-school lore, rpg systems and actually blended combat and rpg parts really well.

Coampred to Skyrims "skeltons, skeletons, lets bash skeletons by clicking mouse and jumping bakwards and then lets go back to that brown tundra~", KOA is miles above that. 

Skyrim was too cinematic. I would not even call it a real RPG. Bethesda has not created a good game since Morrowind(which was awesome.

KOA on other hand...have not enjoyed an rpg this much since the masterpiece that was Dragon Age Origins. 

Yeah you are absolutely right!

That's why Skyrim was a massive success! Won tons of prices world wide!

And that's why KOA-R flopped misserably and is 38 studios now in financial trouble!

So yup! You are absolutely right!

/sarcasm off

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

Vid looked great, really hope they can pull through this, KoA was an amazing game, second only to Skyrim  and maybe Witcher 2 . ( only taking recent games into account)

And that's why KOA-R flopped misserably and is 38 studios now in financial trouble!

/sarcasm off

Twilight, Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 were also massive successes and won tons of prizes. Were those good things? nope.

38 Studios financial "troubles" have nothing to do with Reckoning and Reckoning selling around a million copies for a completely new ip, hardly can be said to be "flopped". IT was a massive success and a sleeper hit.  The financial troubles are from and because of MMO and the overall scheme on what the hell is going on in there is unclear due to sensantionalist nature of gaming journalism. 

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

/sarcasm off

Twilight, Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 were also massive successes and won tons of prizes. Were those good things? nope.

38 Studios financial "troubles" have nothing to do with Reckoning and Reckoning selling around a million copies for a completely new ip, hardly can be said to be "flopped". IT was a massive success and a sleeper hit.  The financial troubles are from and because of MMO and the overall scheme on what the hell is going on in there is unclear due to sensantionalist nature of gaming journalism. 

I can safely make the assumption that your opinion is in the minority on all three of those fronts.

Ehh what?  Gaming journalism?  It is even mentioned in the regular newspapers here in Europe!

There were several articles in various regular newspapers stating how 38 studios isn't paying out salaries this past week in order to make a deposit to pay off portion of their huge loan! And that if they cannot fulfill further payments, that the local government is going to step in and take over with tax money!

So it has nothing to do with sensational journalism. This is just a fact about what is going on right now.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Ehh what?  Gaming journalism?  It is even mentioned in the regular newspapers here in Europe!

There were several articles in various regular newspapers stating how 38 studios isn't paying out salaries this past week in order to make a deposit to pay off portion of their huge loan! And that if they cannot fulfill further payments, that the local government is going to step in and take over with tax money!

So it has nothing to do with sensational journalism. This is just a fact about what is going on right now.

I'm still waiting for Yuui to show us where these "million sold copies" are, as both NPD and EA seem to indicate much less than that.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    A flythrough vid... seriously.

Well I guess that's to be expected, this was released out of desperation as they need to show the world something, anything, given how near it is to release and how little they have shown, but they needed to do much more given the scale of the scandal. I guess they will be working like mad on some real game footage now, but I wonder how long they would have taken if not in the middle of a PR disaster. For the record, 38's troubles are due to a bad loan, not the sales of KoA. Still, I am not getting a good vibe of the studio, kinda reminds me of  the crooks behind Stargate:Worlds.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen

I'm still waiting for Yuui to show us where these "million sold copies" are, as both NPD and EA seem to indicate much less than that.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=amalur

My internet browser has this thing called "google"...

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I liked it,  I would like to see character models ;D.  Loved the music too.