Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two-Handed Greatswords

ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444

Hey everyone. 

Anyone here have anytwo handed greatsword pictures fromthe game? I wanna level up a Guardian with a greatsword, but only if there's some normal swords in the game. Those i've seen in the game are so big, to big. Is there any smaller greatswords in the game, that looks a bit more realistic?

Those iv'e come acrossed, looks like you coulden't hold with even 2 hands in reallife :-)

Comments

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267

uhh only ones ive seen in game looked about right to me. You are saying "great" sword which implies a pretty big weapon in its own. Idk man I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

I don't have any screenshots, unfortunately, but there are some normal greatswords out there.  I had a claymore-style greatsword on my Guardian, and from Wikipedia's average measurement of 47-55" in length, I'd say it was pretty well in-scale too.

It was just a low-level bronze greatsword, as I recall, nothing fancy or anything.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen

uhh only ones ive seen in game looked about right to me. You are saying "great" sword which implies a pretty big weapon in its own. Idk man I wouldn't sweat it.

I know, just that greatswords, are the only two handed swords in the game right? I just like 2 handed swords in mmo's :-)

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779
    Originally posted by Thodra

Hey everyone. 

Anyone here have anytwo handed greatsword pictures fromthe game? I wanna level up a Guardian with a greatsword, but only if there's some normal swords in the game. Those i've seen in the game are so big, to big. Is there any smaller greatswords in the game, that looks a bit more realistic?

Those iv'e come acrossed, looks like you coulden't hold with even 2 hands in reallife :-)

Yes I came across a few. But.. They actually are quite long, and I can tell you that there are real life Zweihanders, Dai-Katanas and Claymore swords that were that big.

You have to remember that back in the good ole' middle ages their armor was so thick that it often turned into wack-a-mole. going into a complete frenzy while being a battle suit. They added range increased your chances of staying alive. This is also why the spear was always one of the most prefered weapons of warriors across all cultures. It's long reach meant it was safer in a lot of situations.

The game has some very big sword. Not many Cloud-FF7 big swords, but fairly big. 

There are some generic long swords that look detailed but plain. I love that simple look. I came across one that went down to my human characters butt, so that's not that much bigger than a regular one handed sword. And you must remember that you can transmutate any gear in the game.

so once you find a normal sized sword you like, you can keep it, and then when you find your perfect stats sword, you can switch the stats back to the little sword that you like:)

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

If you find some nice smaller greatsword you can use that skin with transmutation stones later to transfer stats into it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There are some realistic zweihanders in the game even if a lot of them look a bit too "final fantasy" for my liking.

Don't have any shots though, but here is a concept art:

Looks realistic to me, my IRL claymore is larger than that.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Master10K

This Guardian looks to be wielding a fairly normal-sized Claymore.

I love the looks of this claymore.

But in general i agree with the OP most 2 handed swords feel over the top.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Not a screenshot, but about halfway through he demonstrates some greatsword abilities (with a fairly normal looking 2h sword), so you should be able to get an idea here. 

There are some highly detailed and imaginitive greatswords in game for sure, but there certainly were a lot of options for less idealized wapons. That means if you're particularly after a more realistic and traditional 2h sword, you can combine that appearance with the stats of any you find later on that may be too over the top for your tastes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGaq-IeVGao&feature=related

That's the one I was running with on my Guardian across the BWE, I thought it was pretty cool.  I didn't see any of the other 'real-life' sword types myself, though... kind of disappointed about that now!

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

And you can keep that weapon skin with the use of transmutation stones  for the whole game , i quess !

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Here is a warrior with a sword...I'm not sure how great it is! I think if you are using it and you don't chop off your own arm it is classified as a Greatsword. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by Kalfer

Hey everyone. 

Yes I came across a few. But.. They actually are quite long, and I can tell you that there are real life Zweihanders, Dai-Katanas and Claymore swords that were that big.

You have to remember that back in the good ole' middle ages their armor was so thick that it often turned into wack-a-mole. going into a complete frenzy while being a battle suit. They added range increased your chances of staying alive. This is also why the spear was always one of the most prefered weapons of warriors across all cultures. It's long reach meant it was safer in a lot of situations.

The game has some very big sword. Not many Cloud-FF7 big swords, but fairly big. 

There are some generic long swords that look detailed but plain. I love that simple look. I came across one that went down to my human characters butt, so that's not that much bigger than a regular one handed sword. And you must remember that you can transmutate any gear in the game.

so once you find a normal sized sword you like, you can keep it, and then when you find your perfect stats sword, you can switch the stats back to the little sword that you like:)

Thanks very much for the info. And yea you are right. Can always transmute into the sword i like :-) 

Just seems some pictures of real great swords, how on earth could they swing a sword like that :-)

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

retarded big swords, typical now-a-days.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Here's another one. At 15:15 you get to see some swinging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hvsuTd_No

The thing is that most of the really large swords were ornamental, something you hang on your wall to impress the neighbour.

The claymores were the largest swords that actually were used a lot. The reason they are so long is not really to penetrate armor but because they are made for foot soldiers fighting mounted enemies. While a pike and a spear are slightly more effective there the claymore also works well against infantery making the wielder rather useful in most situations. That is also why the claymores were made earlier than the landsknecht zweihanders which in deed were made as you say.

Yeah, Loke like swords. :)

Originally posted by Nevulus

The real problem there is not the size of the blade but the lady wielding it. I seen Wallace sword (or at least the sword that the museum in Stirling say he wielded), it was longer than me. Wallace was 210cm and could wield something a normal size person can't.

A sword weight a lot less than most people thing (a normal sword 1,5-2kg, a 2h 2,5-3,5) but for you to use a blade effective you need one of the right size.

Ok, the blade is too wide anyways so it still doesn't look like a real sword but more as a wallhanger. But few MMO devs ever hold a real sword in their hand.

Yeah, until the advent of the longbow, maces and hammers were about the only weapons powerful enough to damage the metal itself much (though as I understood it, armor strength came from its design, not its thickness of metal).  Reach was important because weapons were largely designed for stabbing into whatever openings presented themselves, like those in the armpits, which were protected by much weaker chain mail.

I've heard that the longbow effectively ended the age of chivalry simply because it made peasants capable of downing a fully-armored knight.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

I like the big swords they look awesome on the norn, but im more of a hammer type person, so hopefully they have massive hammers too.

Just seems some pictures of real great swords, how on earth could they swing a sword like that :-)

Swords aren't as heavy as they appear - even that 55" claymore, which is a rather huge sword, might top out at 6 lbs.  The lack of weight is a large part of why they were so ineffective against plate armor (at least when used directly).

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Istavaan

I like the big swords they look awesome on the norn, but im more of a hammer type person, so hopefully they have massive hammers too.

Ya, I'm liking a hammer on the warrior. Backbreaker and Staggering Blow are pretty effective. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Nevulus

So I am a big fan of everything japanese and anime and manga, and I love this. I don't play female character, but I think that sword is cool, and the size does not take the immersion from me. I am surprised it does for you guys. I could understand an Asura, but it is not that bad at all. Beautiful design as well.

Romero.

Originally posted by Wolfynsong

Yeah, until the advent of the longbow, maces and hammers were about the only weapons powerful enough to damage the metal itself much (though as I understood it, armor strength came from its design, not its thickness of metal).  Reach was important because weapons were largely designed for stabbing into whatever openings presented themselves, like those in the armpits, which were protected by much weaker chain mail.

I've heard that the longbow effectively ended the age of chivalry simply because it made peasants capable of downing a fully-armored knight.

Longbow... That was the englishmen's speciality wasn't it? They were famed for their archers.

It's hard to believe that a longbow would be able to pierce the metal, but maybe the sheer speed of an arrow at such pace, would cause damage underneath the armor? Maces and Hammers were more about destroying the thing inside underneath the metal. internal bleeding and other good stuff. 

It seems to me that being cut down with a sword is more elegant and a better way to die than suffering the trauma of those mace/hammer blows. jebus.

• From what I could tell it was very race dependent.

Norns tended to get silly unrealistic cleavers.  Humans and Charr tended to get greatsword that had a blade something on the order of a realistic claymore or zweihander.  One of the Mesmer GS my human got has a semi curved hilt you might see on some zweihanders.  Fairly large hilt/crosspiece or not and a blade that would be maybe 2-4 inches wide and 4-5 feet long maybe some gettng to 6 feet hard to say.

But my Norn guardian got a big ass cleaver that had a blade that was a foot+ wide all along the blade.  Really silly.  Not TERA silly (god I utterly hate and loathe the lancer class) but still silly.  Some people like that though.

Not sure if these skins cross races or its just what you get for your race in the starter areas or what.

Originally posted by Loke666

The claymores were the largest swords that actually were used a lot. The reason they are so long is not really to penetrate armor but because they are made for foot soldiers fighting mounted enemies. While a pike and a spear are slightly more effective there the claymore also works well against infantery making the wielder rather useful in most situations. That is also why the claymores were made earlier than the landsknecht zweihanders which in deed were made as you say.

Hum, I've never heard that before, but it makes a lot of sense that the length would be useful against calvary.