Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is it compared to Torchlight?

OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

I'm more of a classic RPG-player than an ARPG:er, so D1 and D2 was just so so to me. However, I do quit enjoy Torchlight and I really did like the skill trees of D2 (I know they are gone now).

But how does D3 compare to Torchlight? Pluses, minuses? Trying to find out for myself if it's worth to shell out 60 euros on this or not...

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Well, if you enjoyed Torchlight more than D1 and D2, and also enjoy skill trees, then chances are you will prefer T2 to D3.  I've played both games, and I far and away prefer D3, as I think it's a better game.  But some of that has to do with the fact that it feels like Diablo through and through, so it has that history behind it. If you aren't as impressed with the first two Diablos, chances are you won't be blown away by this one.  

So the safe bet for you would be to probably stick with T2, although a good idea would be to pick up a guest pass from someone who bought a box version of D3 and try it out for yourself.  

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    To day torchlight 1 is better than d3 is delusional.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• syklonissyklonis Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Well, if you enjoyed Torchlight more than D1 and D2, and also enjoy skill trees, then chances are you will prefer T2 to D3.  I've played both games, and I far and away prefer D3, as I think it's a better game.  But some of that has to do with the fact that it feels like Diablo through and through, so it has that history behind it. If you aren't as impressed with the first two Diablos, chances are you won't be blown away by this one.  

So the safe bet for you would be to probably stick with T2, although a good idea would be to pick up a guest pass from someone who bought a box version of D3 and try it out for yourself.  

Curious as to how you can think D3 is like D1/D2 through and through?  Besides its' visual look, everything else so far seems to be done better in Torchlight 2.  But that's me...

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

torchlight seemed like something my 5 year old would play when i looked at it. whats the draw to it? I don't see how it could even come close to diable in any form.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

While i enjoy the genre in total and own torchlight 1 and 2 and diablo 3 i realy feel diablo 3 is the better of them all . Not sure why but you feel the blizzard polish in diablo 3 even if it sticks with the old familiar hack and slash and doesnt realy inovate . I did play bit of torchlight 2 beta and it did have some points that where stronger tho in total i do like diablo 3 more not sure if its little things like sounds , birds flying around or the responsive combat .

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637
    Originally posted by Fuggly

torchlight seemed like something my 5 year old would play when i looked at it. whats the draw to it? I don't see how it could even come close to diable in any form.

Agreed, the graphics of Torchlight is its biggest minus to me!

Originally posted by krea

While i enjoy the genre in total and own torchlight 1 and 2 and diablo 3 i realy feel diablo 3 is the better of them all . Not sure why but you feel the blizzard polish in diablo 3 even if it sticks with the old familiar hack and slash and doesnt realy inovate . I did play bit of torchlight 2 beta and it did have some points that where stronger tho in total i do like diablo 3 more not sure if its little things like sounds , birds flying around or the responsive combat .

Let me ask you this then, when you don't get to choose skills etc. in D3, doesn't that take away from your involvement of your character? Seems very little rpg not being able to choose what skills/spells you want to specialize in, or doesn't that matter to those of you who like D3?

Trying to establish what makes it tick, so to speak :)

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by OBK1

Let me ask you this then, when you don't get to choose skills etc. in D3, doesn't that take away from your involvement of your character? Seems very little rpg not being able to choose what skills/spells you want to specialize in, or doesn't that matter to those of you who like D3?

Diablo 2 and it clones largely had the illusion of choice. Most choices just gimped your character. In d3 you can't gimp your character and have the option to change up it's play style completely on the fly. You just get to experience a lot more customized gameplay in d3 and you don't have to fear using a skill you think is fun ruining your character.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• Enforcer71Enforcer71 Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by EndDream

Diablo 2 and it clones largely had the illusion of choice. Most choices just gimped your character. In d3 you can't gimp your character and have the option to change up it's play style completely on the fly. You just get to experience a lot more customized gameplay in d3 and you don't have to fear using a skill you think is fun ruining your character.

This is very true and in turn allows me to play exactly how i want without feeling gimped or unusuable.

Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there,
    80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters.
    Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior,
    and he will bring the others home.
    -Heraclitus 500BC

Thanks for all the replies, been helpful!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

RPG never really were the focus of the Diablo games. I remember playing D1 and Baldurs gate at the same period in the late 90s, D1 to get some dungeonhacking done and BG for thr RP.

If you want a RPG you might consider something like ME instead.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by syklonis

Curious as to how you can think D3 is like D1/D2 through and through?  Besides its' visual look, everything else so far seems to be done better in Torchlight 2.  But that's me...

Aside from the change in skill progression, I don't understand how anyone would view D3 as anything OTHER than the natural progression of the Diablo series.   Torchlight 2 looks and feels more like WoW than anything resembling Diablo.  

ME being Mass Effect? Liked the first one not that impressed by the second one. To be honest mostly playing Vanguard at the moment, but need something different now and then.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by syklonis

Aside from the change in skill progression, I don't understand how anyone would view D3 as anything OTHER than the natural progression of the Diablo series.   Torchlight 2 looks and feels more like WoW than anything resembling Diablo.  

Having played both Torchlight 2 and WoW, you really need to stop pulling things like this out of your ass. Torchlight 2 feels and plays nothing like WoW does and no person who has any amount of intelligence at all can say it does.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

ME being Mass Effect? Liked the first one not that impressed by the second one. To be honest mostly playing Vanguard at the moment, but need something different now and then.

It was just one example, Skyrim or whatever works fine as well.

Dungeonhacks like Diablo are about killing stuff, and maybe getting some loot.

Originally posted by Loke666

It was just one example, Skyrim or whatever works fine as well.

Dungeonhacks like Diablo are about killing stuff, and maybe getting some loot.

Indeed...Skyrim was the game that got me back to Vanguard...

I'm just jaded and spoiled. Very tempted to buy D3 but 60 euros is a lot to ask for a game!

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

I wish there was some way to keep  people who only experienced the beta of D3 from telling others what it's like. It has been said a million times that the full game of D3 is much more challenging and complex than the beta even hinted at. It was a bad move by Blizzard, but still, stop talking out your asses. Also, we have no idea what the final TL2  product will be like but I'm sure it will be great.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Enforcer71
    Originally posted by EndDream

This is very true and in turn allows me to play exactly how i want without feeling gimped or unusuable.

As with D2, the number of viable builds is limited when you first hit hell and now inferno.

• RachelofliteRacheloflite Member Posts: 2

Ok first off, everyone has there right to what they want to say about this game, and I respect that. BUT someone tell me how D3 after spending 60 bucks can convince me that D3 is worth that much when no matter what class you play its the same ending for everything. Ok so you beat it in normal, ok so you beat it on Hell, ok so ya beat in in Inferno, now what ya going to play the *real* money AH to try and get your 60 bucks back, lets face it thats a joke in itself. Now I have tried TL2 and *watched* on D3 on some twitch TV sites and sorry I'm not buying how D3 convinces me to send 60 bucks over 20 for other then graphics and story are somewhat the same game. Yes D3 has an edge to it and yes its blizzard but come on 60 bucks for no change in story. SO like I said someone convince me 60 bucks is worth D3 when someone does that then I'll explain why I feel TL2 is in my books a better game for the price.

• AnzieAnzie Member Posts: 468

Diablo 3 is not worth the $60 sure is a fun game, but not as fun as D2 that cost $20 with expansion. Torchlight 2 also seen like a lot of fun for $20 you start getting good items at low level, you have the pet system, they have different scenarios unlike diablo3 is all caves and crypts. 

I'm gonna get some some nerd rage over this, but Diablo 3 got too much WoW in it.

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The simplest way to put this, is like this. Buying a used/refurbished 360 is on the same plane as sharing a condom in a gangbang with strangers.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Anzie

Diablo 3 is not worth the $60 sure is a fun game, but not as fun as D2 that cost $20 with expansion. Torchlight 2 also seen like a lot of fun for $20 you start getting good items at low level, you have the pet system, they have different scenarios unlike diablo3 is all caves and crypts. 

I'm gonna get some some nerd rage over this, but Diablo 3 got too much WoW in it.

I agree with this.

I'm having fun in D3, but I wouldn't have bought it if my friends weren't so crazy about it. Another thing that kinda bugs me about it is it's continuing Blizzard's trend of stealing ideas from other games, and bandaiding them into their own. The stealing of ideas itself doesn't bother me, per se, but when it's implemented in a way that doesn't really make sense it just feels like a cheap shot at someone else's good idea. I didn't notice this in the beta, but I keep seeing these half-assed 'dynamic events' slapped into the maps, and they are so pointless. I'm still not sure why they added those, it just seems so out of place in a diablo game.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Racheloflite

Ok first off, everyone has there right to what they want to say about this game, and I respect that. BUT someone tell me how D3 after spending 60 bucks can convince me that D3 is worth that much when no matter what class you play its the same ending for everything. Ok so you beat it in normal, ok so you beat it on Hell, ok so ya beat in in Inferno, now what ya going to play the *real* money AH to try and get your 60 bucks back, lets face it thats a joke in itself. Now I have tried TL2 and *watched* on D3 on some twitch TV sites and sorry I'm not buying how D3 convinces me to send 60 bucks over 20 for other then graphics and story are somewhat the same game. Yes D3 has an edge to it and yes its blizzard but come on 60 bucks for no change in story. SO like I said someone convince me 60 bucks is worth D3 when someone does that then I'll explain why I feel TL2 is in my books a better game for the price.

TL2 isn't even released yet and you're already claiming it to be better based on your 'feelings'. That and you can buy both.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

comparing the beta of TL2 to the complete game of D3 is a bit unfair, but if you are comparing than I vote for D3, I just like the atmosphere, the story, and the lore better

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

SO far from what I have seen in beta, in Torchlight 2 you have better control over your character when you manually put your stats in yourself. You can make any build you want without the devs telling you how to play. Torchlight 2 has better music making the game feel more immersive thanks to Matt Uelmen and the dungeons in Torchlight 2 seemed much bigger than D3.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

IMHO, D3 >>> Torchlight

1) skill system MUCH better design. Choosing abilities is 100x more interesting (to me) than putting points in skills. There are way more combo to consider in D3.

2) D3 is much more polish with much more content (obviously)

3) character & abilty design is much better in D3

4) much better destructive & interacting environment in D3

In fact, i can't find a thing that is better in torchlight