Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To those people complaining about questing in MMOs.....

1235»

Comments

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

I don't even know where to begin, there's so much misconceptions about Tera's PvE, it's ridiculous. Here's a hint for people that don't like to do quests in Tera.  DON'T DO THEM.

Anybody that knows what they are talking about will tell you that not only is Tera's questing not the only method of leveling up, it's not even the fastest! Yet people are cherry picking one portion of the game that they don't like and ignoring all the other content, and saying that they don't like the game.  If you don't want to level up via quests in Tera you can:

1.) BAM hunting- Get a group of 3-5 people and questing has already taken a back seat as players will get a ton more exp and loot from farming BAMs, and it's not even the same one.  There are literally tons of epic BAM fights all over the place, so feel free to mix it up.

2.) Dungeon Finder- Yes, you can do dungeons all the way to cap because Tera is well endowed with beautiful, original dungeons (separate from endgame dungeons), with great loot and even more boss battles.

3.) Crafting-  Whereas crafting does not give the best exp, it does give you tons of money, which in turn you can use to buy/make stuff that makes leveling even faster!  The best part is that there's no level restrictions to zones, you can run around as a level 20 in a level 48+ zone and mine up everything you need to level your craft.

4.) Open World PvP- Want to take a break from PvE and do some PvP? It's as simple as turning on outlaw, challenge people higher level then you, or gank people lower level, it's all consensual since everybody is on a PvP server.  Or maybe you want epic large scale Guild Wars? Go ahead and join a PvP Guild that are constantly having GvG PvP and earn reputation for your guild on the server.

5.) Go ahead and Quit MMOs- If you don't find any of the above things interesting alternatives to questing then you're more likely not a fan of MMOs in the first place and just wanted to play a single player game. 

And a lot of people are going to go ahead and try to pick apart my post saying "Well X game does this feature better".  And maybe you're right, maybe Tera doesn't do that one thing as well as another MMO, but Tera does a lot of things, and I'm not interested in your frankstein MMO with features from all your past played games.  Nor am I interested in games that you "Claim" is superior yet doesn't have a release date!

The fact is that Tera is a AAA MMO that's out Right Now with a lot to offer, if players just want to do quests and then complain that's their problem, and they should quit, while the rest of us are actually playing the WHOLE game and having fun. That's nice that you convinced yourselves that the grass is going to be greener in GW2 and TSW, please take your love of those games somewhere else, this happens to be the Tera forums.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Kalfer

Looking at it now, it is INSANE how Bioware thought that it would make a difference by spending all those resources on the same thing, BUT WITH VOICE ACTING.

It's like polishing a turd. It's still a turd even if it's nicer looking.

Yes but a turd RPG with an actual story is still a shinier turd than one without one...even IF it does have little girls in skirts. Tera is a F2P quality game in a subcription sized world...the combat was even ripped off from a F2P game and they only took the double tap dodge and made it a button based dodge!

SWTOR = Turd, a great ride in a game with shallow gameplay to bad endgame

Tera = elephant turd pile, bad ride with shallow gameplay to an endgame with no meaning..but you can dodge!

Your hatred for TERA blinds you. TERA is in no way shape or form a F2P quality game.

Quality oozes from character models, armour, animations, combat feedback and heft, world design, seamless and large continents, monster design and animations, fully powered by the Unreal Engine 3, more than 80 world zones...well almost everything in the game.

They didn't innovate in the questing department. So fucking what? There are other MMOs out now one can choose if what someone wants is to be lulled to death being read a story.

You need to step back, stop coming to the TERA subforums spewing your bile (again, just by browsing your history) and spend more time praising whichever next title you think is going to "save us all" once again.

According to Bluehole Studio, TERA's development cost has reached 40 billion won by May, 2010, and it's estimated that the cost will surpass 50 billion won this winter. As the Studio analyzed, it is the employment of 40 new Quality Control staff that makes the cost go up in such way. A greater team consisting of 200 members is now working on the development of TERA.
    The existing online games that do involve large investments in development include: Blizzard's WoW (45 billion won), NCsoft's Aion (25 billion won) and NHN's self-developed C9 (about 15 billion won).

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-05-19/tera_will_become_the_most_expensive_mmo_in_the_world.shtml

• kastrixkastrix Member Posts: 75

There are mmorpg's with NO QUESTS AT ALL!! they are the best.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by kastrix

There are mmorpg's with NO QUESTS AT ALL!! they are the best.

Only if we can go back to that = but you know people are going to call it a grind fest because there is new quest. And most of them are F2P because of it and the P2W cash shop is just arg.... Also after Tera's combat I don't think i can go back to tab targetting. But hopefully in the future there be game like Tera combat but no quest =X

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Bigbadwlf

I don't even know where to begin, there's so much misconceptions about Tera's PvE, it's ridiculous. Here's a hint for people that don't like to do quests in Tera.  DON'T DO THEM.

Anybody that knows what they are talking about will tell you that not only is Tera's questing not the only method of leveling up, it's not even the fastest! Yet people are cherry picking one portion of the game that they don't like and ignoring all the other content, and saying that they don't like the game.  If you don't want to level up via quests in Tera you can:

1.) BAM hunting- Get a group of 3-5 people and questing has already taken a back seat as players will get a ton more exp and loot from farming BAMs, and it's not even the same one.  There are literally tons of epic BAM fights all over the place, so feel free to mix it up.

2.) Dungeon Finder- Yes, you can do dungeons all the way to cap because Tera is well endowed with beautiful, original dungeons (separate from endgame dungeons), with great loot and even more boss battles.

3.) Crafting-  Whereas crafting does not give the best exp, it does give you tons of money, which in turn you can use to buy/make stuff that makes leveling even faster!  The best part is that there's no level restrictions to zones, you can run around as a level 20 in a level 48+ zone and mine up everything you need to level your craft.

4.) Open World PvP- Want to take a break from PvE and do some PvP? It's as simple as turning on outlaw, challenge people higher level then you, or gank people lower level, it's all consensual since everybody is on a PvP server.  Or maybe you want epic large scale Guild Wars? Go ahead and join a PvP Guild that are constantly having GvG PvP and earn reputation for your guild on the server.

5.) Go ahead and Quit MMOs- If you don't find any of the above things interesting alternatives to questing then you're more likely not a fan of MMOs in the first place and just wanted to play a single player game. 

And a lot of people are going to go ahead and try to pick apart my post saying "Well X game does this feature better".  And maybe you're right, maybe Tera doesn't do that one thing as well as another MMO, but Tera does a lot of things, and I'm not interested in your frankstein MMO with features from all your past played games.  Nor am I interested in games that you "Claim" is superior yet doesn't have a release date!

The fact is that Tera is a AAA MMO that's out Right Now with a lot to offer, if players just want to do quests and then complain that's their problem, and they should quit, while the rest of us are actually playing the WHOLE game and having fun. That's nice that you convinced yourselves that the grass is going to be greener in GW2 and TSW, please take your love of those games somewhere else, this happens to be the Tera forums.

I played the whole game, was unimpressed, felt the grind, and quit like many others have :) and the reason why people from other games are posting on this thread is because well you pretty much invited them on your OP silly

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

I'm glad people are enjoying TERA, I have a feeling it'll have a good niche like EVEor perhaps even better. But this game let me down somewhat... mostly the questing. I told myself that regardless of the grind the end game would be worth it, but beta testing the content I felt like I was wrong. I'm just tired of the same old questing.

To put it a bit more into perspective, I was looking forward to tera more-so than GW2; I can't even force myself to put up with such unimaginative quests and grinding anymore, took me more than a few hours to leave the noob island and killed the game for me. It gave me a shitty first impression, call me shallow if you will but I just don't have the time anymore; if TERA won't help in that matter then I'm not interested.

Perhaps I've been spoiled recently,perhaps my shrinking free time is the factor or I outgrew MMOs, which I considered, or perhaps it's time for a change. Been taking a loooong break from MMOs and games in general to see.

To the OP, that condescending attitude really isn't necessary.

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

It's not a condescending additude.  I'm trying to say that if the future of MMOs is TSW, GW2, and Elder Scrolls Online, then the future of MMOs is more stuff to grind and killing stuff en masse.  I'm perfectly fine with it, but it seems that a lot of people are revolting against the MMO standard.

A lot of people who have played MMOs for decades are wondering if it's time to quit, and I'm sorry to yes the answer is frankly yes.  That perfect Sandbox/Skyrim MMO you have all been wishing for will never see the light of day in the US, the dream is dead.  I waited 10 years for a good MMO to come out that I can enjoy and Tera fits the bill for me quite well.  The funny thing about GW2 is that they are feeding on gamers desperate for change, but the truth is that what players are really buying is Warhammer 2.0.  ArenaNet is playing up the hype machine because they know that once those boxes are sold they could give a darn what's the community thinks about their game.

I imagine that once GW2 and TSW is out that the tears from the Tera forums about not innovating enough, will shift from here to those forums.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Everyone please calm down and let's talk about IMBA-ULTRA-SUPER-AWESOME MMORPG called TERA after 6 months, when servers going to be empty. Anyone remember Runes of Magic? So fail game, so better than Tera. Wait, wait, but Tera has action non-targeting combat. Well, f.u.c.k. not only Tera, but every other game where only one good aspect, but 999999 others sux. Man, leveling from level 1 to level 2 was so boring....

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by altas

Everyone please calm down and let's talk about IMBA-ULTRA-SUPER-AWESOME MMORPG called TERA after 6 months, when servers going to be empty. Anyone remember Runes of Magic? So fail game, so better than Tera. Wait, wait, but Tera has action non-targeting combat. Well, f.u.c.k. not only Tera, but every other game where only one good aspect, but 999999 others sux. Man, leveling from level 1 to level 2 was so boring....

I haven't found a game where lvl 1-2 wasn't boring beside maplestory coz you got from lvl 1-2 too quickly to notice....