Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAC engine upgrade, back to alpha

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Long story made short, WAC is based on an MMO framework licensed from another game company.  That framework was originally based on TGE (Torque Game Engine) 1.52 using OpenGL for rendering.  I moved my work to the same framework but using TGEA (Torque Game Engine Advanced) 1.71 which uses Direct3D.  With work, I've gotten the platform stabile, improved efficiency by 400%, and have produced a couple different forks... One with tab-targeting, one with mixed tab and aimed, and the last with fully aimed targeting and AOE.  Unfortunately, memory management with how it handles sound is dreadfully obsolete, zone transfers are far too slow for my liking, and there are other issues as well.

I'm starting a port of the MMO framework to TGEA 1.82 which was the last prior to T3D (something I cannot use because of hardware requirements).  I've never done a mixed C++ Python port of this size, so I expect it to take a while.  Hopefully this will work out to be a win in the long run, and also provide a path where I can bring graphics up to 2010-ish standards and port the D3D calls up to compatibility with DX11.

Once the engine work is completed (a few months) I'll make a call as to whether I'm dropping the medeival fantasy genre and moving to something different, most likely space sci-fi.  If I do change, then the WAC development will be discontinued and existing work ported over to the new game.

My target, either for WAC or the new game, is still no instancing, public dungeons, progression by ANYTHING other than questing (so overused it has become a cliche), combat the moves fast enough that you can't sleep through it *yawn*, meaninful crafting, and support for both solo and group play.  I prefer holy-trinity gameplay for grouping but envision something where classes (or player created builds) can serve multiple roles so there isn't the dreaded "LFG some dungeon, need tank".

Just an FYI.  This isn't an attempt to hype the game.  Just a note in case someone stumbles in and wonders what happened to WAC's beta.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

If that was supposed to be short, I don't want to know what your definition of long is.

One screenshot would have spoken more than those words anyway.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Very true.  I'm terrible at written.

Simpler version:  Closed for upgrade, might come back as a different game.  :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Interesting.

Hope ya don't get stuck in that endless cycle of "forever updated/upgraded, but never released" that other indie projects have fallen into, such as Planeshift. 

Jumping from fantasy to Sci-Fi.. that's a pretty big change to make so far along.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

My advice is to switch to HeroEngine, it's free and already has a sample game that is way better than MOM. Has an amzing tools set. Messing with TGEA is like beating a dead horse. Anyway best of luck.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by medafor

My advice is to switch to HeroEngine, it's free and already has a sample game that is way better than MOM. Has an amzing tools set. Messing with TGEA is like beating a dead horse. Anyway best of luck.

Yeah they just released HeroCloud. You get your own server for just 99 bucks a year!