Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• Sp1dersbaneSp1dersbane Member Posts: 49
    ESO looks promising. Here's hoping they don't compromise with content and features to cater for a single group. Make the game the same way they'd make a single player game, with the same design process. B2P not P2P and let's see it on consoles at release.
    If they're gonna make it, might as well do it properly and go full hog. :)

Will be watching this one.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by dontadow

Be on the lookout for another serious misuse of IP. An Elder Scroll that Bethesda has nothing to do with, obviously focusing on an aspect of the game that none of the other games ever focused on PVP or good players attacking good players.  

IF the game was going to be something other than a normal MMO or bring something new to the table it would be toted like the TOR and GW2 announcements.  GW2 said from the get go they were taking out the trinity TOR talked about stories in their press release.

If it's anything more than multiplayer Skyrim, it's already a failure.  

Why do you gotta be a d__?

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

my only question is after countless numbers of years(ever since Morrowind came out probably earlier) of Bathesda and ZeniMax both saying "There will be no Elder Scrolls MMO Please Quit Asking for it". What made them change their mind?

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• MithurMithur Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by akiira69

my only question is after countless numbers of years(ever since Morrowind came out probably earlier) of Bathesda and ZeniMax both saying "There will be no Elder Scrolls MMO Please Quit Asking for it". What made them change their mind?

They say "we will not develop a MMORPG, we haven't the skills". And is true.

The problem with ESO (BTW, the acronym in my languaje means "that") is that having the best singleplayer sandbox in the market remade as a online themepart is a big mistake. The fanbase of the saga love the sandbox experience, and will not like the themepark one. And the rest of the people will not have any interest in a lore they don't know...

I know I won't be playng another WoW-Clone. SWTOR was my mistake, not to repeat.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by Mithur

The problem with ESO (BTW, the acronym in my languaje means "that") is that having the best singleplayer sandbox in the market remade as a online themepart is a big mistake. The fanbase of the saga love the sandbox experience, and will not like the themepark one. And the rest of the people will not have any interest in a lore they don't know...

I know I won't be playng another WoW-Clone. SWTOR was my mistake, not to repeat.

I think here in lies the crux of the problem, and we have seen this demonstrated before by an mmo company, SOE.  SOE created the NGE and when existing fans of the game cried out this was unacceptable, SOE said they would get new fans if the old ones left.  Well, they did get new fans and some converts as well, but as we all know SWG population had a sharp decline after NGE and never recovered, and henceforth the NGE lives in mmo ignominy.

The same seems true here.  ESO does not cater to the fans of their games, instead opting to find new fans.  With an IP as successful as Elder Scrolls, you would think they would stick with a game style that was more familiar to fans over the years based on their games.  Instead, they try to create something totally different, and like NGE SWG, the new players may not materialize as they expect, while many fans will stay away based on principle or feelings of betrayal.

Ive said it once ill say it again there is no such thing as a "WoW Clone". In order for it to be a Clone it must be identical in every shape and form. There are many differences between WoW and SWTOR. First the graphics in SWTOR is much better than the graphics in WoW. Second unlike in WoW there is actually a storyline in SWTOR that even a blind man could follow. Another thing the classes are deffinitly NOT the same. In WoW all classes share the same questlines, while in SWTOR each class(Republic: Knight, Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Empire: Warrior, Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent) each have their own unique storyline. The only 2 things that SWTOR and WoW have in common is their both MMO's and they both use a talent tree for their classes. Having 2 things in common does not make a game a clone. The only time there will ever be a "WoW Clone" is if Activision/Blizzard makes World of Warcraft 2.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• descrethdescreth Member Posts: 21

The game runs on the Hero engine (same engine SWTOR runs on.)

Right there, it's destined to hit an even harder iceberg than the tortanic did.

I suppose we'll call it The Elder Scrolltanic.

Or something along the lines of a failure just destined to happen.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Ive said it once ill say it again there is no such thing as a "WoW Clone". In order for it to be a Clone it must be identical in every shape and form. There are many differences between WoW and SWTOR. First the graphics in SWTOR is much better than the graphics in WoW. Second unlike in WoW there is actually a storyline in SWTOR that even a blind man could follow. Another thing the classes are deffinitly NOT the same. In WoW all classes share the same questlines, while in SWTOR each class(Republic: Knight, Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Empire: Warrior, Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent) each have their own unique storyline. The only 2 things that SWTOR and WoW have in common is their both MMO's and they both use a talent tree for their classes. Having 2 things in common does not make a game a clone. The only time there will ever be a "WoW Clone" is if Activision/Blizzard makes World of Warcraft 2.

"We have 8 unique Classes that each have their own Storyline so easy that even a blind man can follow"

Great selling point there.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Oh give me a break, they are identical themeparks despite one being fantasy and the other science fiction they basically operate the exact same way.  When the word clone is used in this context it means operates the same way, which they do, SWTOR is just Wow in space.  You can stop your nitpicking now.

• NevereveNNevereveN Member UncommonPosts: 11

TES has been known for their horrible PVM in single player!!!

Now are they really using SWTOR engine??? pve and pvp combat will fail. And i dont even think they are making adjustments to improve them at all and busy with housing, RvR system, and props. I just cant believe it....

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Supposedly it will be released in 2013, has been in development since 2007.  Not holding my breath though, it looks like garbage after reading the GI article.

• gsgalaxygsgalaxy Member UncommonPosts: 7

Elder Scrolls Online .... why do they all want to jump on this MMO train ? The Elder Scrolls games have their own deeper story and world - the single player game experience works because it's combination of story, open world, unique visuals and not to forget, the extensive modding capabilities. In this game series the players not only get to play the game as it is, after, besides or before the main story you can find many secrets and places, which aren't known and not even necessary to and for the storyline, there is ONE Hero (and not thousands)  and players can start the modding machine and give their creativity a wonderful tool, to help with their talents to make the game even more a better experience. And anybody is free to choose, what they will add or not add to their basic game !

This won't be possible for a fixed MMORPG game world, were there have to be exact rules to follow, that the game will work online for thousands of players.  It will be like any other MMO - just an MMO - looking at the first screenshots, if i would have not known, there suppose to be images from the Elder Scrolls MMO game, i would have thought, it's just  ANOTHER MMO, not more or less ... Do i want an Elder Scrolls to be like any other MMO ? Not really ...

And - look at all those "great" MMO names, which were released the last two years ... the hype at the beginning was huge, but really quick they have to struggle with players leaving those game real quick and they have a hard time to keep going on - and there fate not too long after the first release is to be turning into "Free-to-play" game models ... Do i want this fate to hit an Elder Scrolls game title ? Not really ...

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

seriously, what is it that should make me want to play TESO?

another theme park with tab target combat?

another game that can't deliver propper pvp?

it gives me the possibility to fusrodah with people i never met or even wanted to know, great :)

i'd say let it come, if it's good we will see... if not... yea, didnt expect it anway.

what we have is a "great background" and a company doing their first mmo

aaaand you guys really start the hype train again? okai. hf ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

BillMurphy, and You guys on mmorpg.com are overhyping yourselves again. Just because it's being developed by ZeniMax Studios doesn't mean anything. It doesn't matter who's developing it either. Just as Bioware was good at making single player RPG's it doesn't mean that it's going to be the same for a Online MMO. None of you even know what formula the developers plan on using to develop this game, for all we know it could be just another WoW Clone. And already you are protraying this game to be the second comming of jesus. Are you guys getting paid to overhype games on here? It seems so, but just don't come back to us on here complaining how sad you are because you think the Game is just another WoW clone, or isn't something you expected it too be.

Good lord when are you guys going to wake up.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Ive said it once ill say it again there is no such thing as a "WoW Clone".

I could believe that there is no such thing as a "WoW clone" but I just couldn't get my head that far up my ass. :D

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

it ll be one more SP+MP+monthly sub game...new trend

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

"What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs?"

Probably nothing much as it's likely to be just another MMO like all the rest of them.

• liadzliadz Member Posts: 35

So did anybody see/read this http://leviathyn.com/blog/2012/05/04/the-elder-scrolls-online-massive-leak-from-game-informer/ ?

Lots of information about the game here and some of them kind of kill my excitement.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

From what we know of this they've gutted everything that actually made the Elder Scrolls series great... this is literally being sold on the name alone, and idiots are already buying into it.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

It means the following and it keeps getting worse...

1. That the majority mmo developers still do not care about what players want out of a franchise. They still believe that the WoW  way is still the standard, which clearly it is not.

2. They are just in it for the money, there is no love for the franchise or fans here because if there was we wouldn't be getting a generic mmo.

3. The mmo genre keeps sinking to new depths. Once you think there is hope, sure enough you can always count on the majority of mmo developers to disappoint.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Oh give me a break, they are identical themeparks despite one being fantasy and the other science fiction they basically operate the exact same way.  When the word clone is used in this context it means operates the same way, which they do, SWTOR is just Wow in space.  You can stop your nitpicking now.

the definition of clone from Dictionary.com(2nd as the first deals with biology): 

a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style

Using this definition the only person nitpicking is you. You look at all of the MMORPG's that were released after WoW and pick and pick and pick at it untill you see what you want to see. The only thing you want to see is this fabled "WoW Clone" and nothing else matters especially facts you cast aisde that prove you wrong. If you really want to nitpick on what is a clone and what is not a clone. Then any and all RPG games both online and offline are AD&D Clones. Cause without AD&D most if not all game developers would never have created their game. Also WoW in it self is a clone of all MMORPG's that came before it.

[mod edit - fixed spacing]

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Oh my god...another one of those "X game is not a wow Clone because it's not EXACTLY THE SAME"

Geeeeez, are you for real?

And you linked the definition of clone? are you for real dude? ahahahahhahahahahhahahaha

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• rguilbertrguilbert Member Posts: 107

Not sure why all the hate. 

Seems like they are leaning towards a realm war type setup (similar to DAOC), with the unfortunate inclusion of some instanced (dungeons/battlegrounds) and heroic content.

I get that everyone loves single player TES games.  They are a favorite of mine as well.  Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't heard that single player TES games are going away because this is being released.

They do seem to be trying to be everything to everyone.  That is likely a mistake.  I'd prefer to see a totally persistent (non instanced) world myself.  If that is bothering people, I'm with you.  However, I'd note that GW2 is doing the same, and the positive hype for that is off the chart.

Using the Hero engine is a complaint, largely because TOR used it, and TOR is horrible.  I don't think the engine makes the game though.  In fact, using Hero saves money.  That frees up development money for other things.   So many people complain that TOR wasted money on voice overs and advertising, rather than using those resources on content.  Now we have a game coming out that is saving money with the Hero engine, and people are claiming that they are greedy...they should use all their excess money on making a new engine.  You can't have it both ways.  Either being frugal when possible is good for the game's development, or it isn't. 

I'm looking forward to seeing more info about the game.  It's a little too early for gloom and doom.

• KyllsynKyllsyn Member UncommonPosts: 110

And there goes the fun in Elder Scrolls. Rest in Peace.

all derp'd out and nowhere to herpaderp.
  • syrionsyrion Member UncommonPosts: 15

If what I hear is correct and this is close to DAOC2 then my whole guild is in. We are excited and waiting for more news.