Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just cancelled my pre-order..

SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

.. and I'm fairly sad I had to do it. Yes, I followed Guild Wars 2 pretty heavily.. until a few months ago. Damn that real-life stuff. Then I go out to Game Stop, tell the guy I wants to pre-purchase for some 3 days of early sexyness and beta loving. Pay in full, ring me up. Go home, enter the code on receipt and it tells me I pre-ordered, not pre-purchased and as a result, I lose.

Called Game Stop, said they'd be able to switch my purchase over and give me the OTHER code, no problem. Show up, completely different story. So they gave me money back.

Guess I'll have to do this directly through the source. I must Guild Wars 2, just not via those evil stores.

Comments

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

I saw many ppl complaing about Gamestop on Twitter with the same issue you had.. Thinking they were buying a pre-purchase copy and then it was a pre-order.

Buy in in time to participate the next BWE, hopefully we have one next weekend :).

I just bought it directly from GW2 site too.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Synthetick

.. and I'm fairly sad I had to do it. Yes, I followed Guild Wars 2 pretty heavily.. until a few months ago. Damn that real-life stuff. Then I go out to Game Stop, tell the guy I wants to pre-purchase for some 3 days of early sexyness and beta loving. Pay in full, ring me up. Go home, enter the code on receipt and it tells me I pre-ordered, not pre-purchased and as a result, I lose.

Called Game Stop, said they'd be able to switch my purchase over and give me the OTHER code, no problem. Show up, completely different story. So they gave me money back.

Guess I'll have to do this directly through the source. I must Guild Wars 2, just not via those evil stores.

No one PreOrders through gamestop anymore for PC. They're pretty much console only now. Trying to pre-order from them anymore is literally asking to get shafted.

The last time I preordered from them was with Prototype for PC. I go to the store on the day of release only to find out that the PC edition comes in 2days later than the official release date, and all my friends who purchased from Amazon or Direct2Drive (when it was still around) were playing the first hour it released.

Don't even get me started on their online-store shipping either. You'll get preorders the NEXT day after release. You're better off getting it directly from the source :|!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

So the negative title on this thread is just so more people get the wrong impression?  OP.....you WANT to play the game, but create a thread with this title?  Why?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Originally posted by just1opinion

So the negative title on this thread is just so more people get the wrong impression?  OP.....you WANT to play the game, but create a thread with this title?  Why?

Well he did cancel his pre-order.. Not because he dont like it, but he had problems with Gamestop pre-purchase, like many had.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by RKameL

Well he did cancel his pre-order.. Not because he dont like it, but he had problems with Gamestop pre-purchase, like many had.

The title should reflect his issues with pre-purchasing from gamestop then. Most will flock to this thinking its something else based on such a negative title.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518

yeah whenever possible I buy straight from the source.....its much more secure

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Buying directly is usually the way to go. Prices rarely change, and you are in direct contact with the provider. So, if something goes awry, you can sort it out directly with them.

I only hear crap about Game Stop. I wonder why they are still around.

Originally posted by Zetsuei
    Originally posted by RKameL

The title should reflect his issues with pre-purchasing from gamestop then. Most will flock to this thinking its something else based on such a negative title.

Yes, i understand what you mean. The title could be better ye.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I know at one point GameStop was converting ill-pre-order keys into their proper pre-purchase keys. I don't know what has come of that, but I would deinately be seeking the real answer. If you indeed paid in full for a pre-purchase and they gave you the wrong code you are able to get a store refund.

If they try and act new, I suggest you request the information for the regional manager, not the store you want regional. That should get you an answer from there right there or they'll give you the information as they have to..

Good luck, hope you don't miss out on a pretty good game..

Edit: See you got your money back already missed it first time, but my response still rings true for any situation you may find yourself in with a retailer..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

FYI OP, I beleive Anet was honoring Gamestop Pre-order keys that should have been Pre-purchase. They made a few nice long posts about it. Shoulda talked to them first.

Honestly, I would strongly recommend pre-purchase through digital download directly if you want the head start+BWE access, and so long as it's a viable option. Gamestop is...horrible. Just terrible. Been mad at them since the Deus Ex fiasco, every time I hear them since makes me angrier.

Hope to see you in game regardless, if you are purchasing a normal box on launch day. If not..hope you aren't letting a retailer dictate whether you enjoy a game. Cheers.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

I pre-purchased 3 copies of GW2 from GameStop and had no problems what so ever.  Hate to see you had issues but still... if you were waiting this long for the game just do a Digital Download when you can or buy it from the ArenaNet site.

Ratero.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Op please edit the title i read that and thought some one was a bit nuts or plain odd as i can't  see how any body could be that negative obviously  you are not,i got mine from Play.com just had to wait a few days for the box and key  in the post for digital download.

p>
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Well the pre-order and pre-purchase might have not be obvious for some reseller honestly . I think its the first time for me i'm making a pre purchase for an mmo, all the mmo before had pre-order only, honestly i don't think i ever made a "pre purchase" in my life and i'm kind of old already. And with such a difference with pre-order for the beta test aspect, that's quiet normal people mixed this up. I think a lot of people missed this. And honestly i'm not supporting Anet here, pre order should be enough for any company. Paying up front the totality of an unfinished product is a bit, you know, "comme ci comme ca", even if i choose to do it and don't personally regret it, but still.

Originally posted by Requiamer

Well the pre-order and pre-purchase might have not be obvious for some reseller honestly . I think its the first time for me i'm making a pre purchase for an mmo, all the mmo before had pre-order only, honestly i don't think i ever made a "pre purchase" in my life and i'm kind of old already. And with such a difference with pre-order for the beta test aspect, that's quiet normal people mixed this up. I think a lot of people missed this. And honestly i'm not supporting Anet here, pre order should be enough for any company. Paying up front the totality of an unfinished product is a bit, you know, "comme ci comme ca", even if i choose to do it and don't personally regret it, but still.

I can agree with you that pre-purchase is a bit of a spooky venture, and I went out on a limb shelling out over 100 bucks (copies for me and my gf of the "normal" edition) for something sight mostly unseen. So far I feel I made a good choice though.

However, as to pre-purchase..I can't agree. look, a game retailer should be informed as to how things work. GW2 is easily in the top three most anticpated MMOs coming out for the next year or so, (Top one in my opinion, but YMMV), Anet worked out a partnership with gamestop and other companies to do the whole pre-purchase+keys thing. If they explained it HALF as clearly to the retailers as they did to the players, this should not have been a difficult thing to grasp.

Heck, let's say they didn't. The information given to players is freely available on the internet. And Gamestop employees are, in a sense, sales people. The guy selling me a car better damn well do his research and known what the models on the lot do. If he doesn't understand the product he's trying to sell, I see no reason to buy it from him.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I just paid from the code from an official retailer from GW site, cost me £45 quid

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I agree terrant its their job, they should be aware of it, but you also have to be realistic. Sure they should "research" on the product they sell, but well, you can't really espect them to do it either, they are just reseller, not rocket scientist :D

I agree terran its their job, they should be aware of it, but you also have to be realistic. Sure they should "research" on the product they sell, but well, you can't really espect them to do it either, they are just reseller, not rocket scientist :D

Maybe. On the other hand, their management/marketing should be pushing info from this game to the retaielrs, since they have a big incentive (whatever deal Anet made with them) to drive sales. So far the majority of times I've heard "Gamestop" and "GW2" in one sentence, it's been followed up by "they screwed up my order". That's not to say there probably aren't thousands who got the game just fine from them....we all know in the service industry only the unhappy people speak up. But...

The fact that any stores didn't seem to have proper education on how this works (or flat-out lied in some of the complaints I've heard) shows poor management. And I once again bring up the Deus Ex mess...Gamestop is just shady soemtimes. It's sad cause they're literally the only decent game retailers in my area but...I'll drive out of my way or order online before I go to them.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I agree terrant its their job, they should be aware of it, but you also have to be realistic. Sure they should "research" on the product they sell, but well, you can't really espect them to do it either, they are just reseller, not rocket scientist :D

I use to work for a catalog company that sold shoes, specializing in sports shoes and fashin. I am NOT a fan of basketball, and could never imagine spending more then $30 on shoes. My company gave me all the info I would need though so I could sell those god awfull, ugly as sin, new release Jordan basketball shoes for $150. I use to be able to tell you all kinds of things about every shoe brand we sold. In my everyday life, I was happy in a ratty pair of converse chucks.

My point being, if the clerk did not have the imformation he should have, I would NOT trust that store at all. If the clerk didnt care to learn about it, they should be fired. There is a thousand other people out there that would love a job.. and I would guess there is at lest a few hundred real gamers that would REALLY love that job.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

That sucks man, but ya I wouldn't trust Gamestop for anything. They really are a terrible retailer, with only a couple stores under that banner having pleasantly surprised me. The vast majority of my experiences with those stores have been awful.

Getting it straight from the source is definitely your best bet. Looks like they may even have some available as well (I believe the next BWE is the weekend of the 27th, so you still have time. Good luck.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

I've been through this and took many steps.  This is a streamlined version to deal with Gamestop.  I went through a bit more hoops though.

Go back to that store and repurchase it.  Explain to them they have 2 SKUs for the different types (preorder and prepurchase).  If they still give you trouble, just make sure they know you want to pay in full right now.  So they may still give you the incorrect code.

Call Gamestop 1-800-883-8895. Be firm but respectful...very respectful. Explain your situation.  Have your receipt ready.  They will ask for your receipt # and your name.  If they try and say that they will email you the code within 2 days DO NOT accept it.  There is a good chance they will not email you the code (but don't say that).  Just mention that you need access sooner than that (good chance they won't know the details of the BWE schedule).  Mention that your friend (you can say Stephanie [that's me]) went through this and managed to get the code over the phone from them (I did) so she did not miss out on a BWE.  This is not exactly how it went down but...details...This should make them aware that you know it is possible for them to pull up a code and read it to you over the phone.  Before you hang up make sure ask them to let you read the code to them.  Make sure you are very clear (Z for Zebra, 1, W for water, 3, 9, T for Tommy...ect.).

You can finally have the peace of mind that you will be getting proper access.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

Nobody has ever gotten what they are supposed to when they pre-order/purchase a game from Gamestop.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    If you get the digital version from gamestop you can ge
    t the code. The code on the reciept is a gamestop code that you have ko redeem,them download their app and login to it to get your key. It was a pain in the ass.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Yaos

Nobody has ever gotten what they are supposed to when they pre-order/purchase a game from Gamestop.

really? I had no issues at all at gamestop.. pre-purchased from the website and got my key instantly...  they do have two GW2 listed though digial and box.. perhaps I just choose the correct one.. both say "with bonus" though 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I hate misleading titles. It's just a waste of people's time when they expect something different opening a thread.  Clarification is needed.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    Originally posted by Lucrecia

I've been through this and took many steps.  This is a streamlined version to deal with Gamestop.  I went through a bit more hoops though.

Go back to that store and repurchase it.  Explain to them they have 2 SKUs for the different types (preorder and prepurchase).  If they still give you trouble, just make sure they know you want to pay in full right now.  So they may still give you the incorrect code.

Call Gamestop 1-800-883-8895. Be firm but respectful...very respectful. Explain your situation.  Have your receipt ready.  They will ask for your receipt # and your name.  If they try and say that they will email you the code within 2 days DO NOT accept it.  There is a good chance they will not email you the code (but don't say that).  Just mention that you need access sooner than that (good chance they won't know the details of the BWE schedule).  Mention that your friend (you can say Stephanie [that's me]) went through this and managed to get the code over the phone from them (I did) so she did not miss out on a BWE.  This is not exactly how it went down but...details...This should make them aware that you know it is possible for them to pull up a code and read it to you over the phone.  Before you hang up make sure ask them to let you read the code to them.  Make sure you are very clear (Z for Zebra, 1, W for water, 3, 9, T for Tommy...ect.).

You can finally have the peace of mind that you will be getting proper access.

Good to know all of this. I should of looked into the 800 number sooner, but honestly figured the multiple store locations around time would be knowledgeable enough about at least such a major PC release.

I originally went in thinking (and still not 100% clear) that the pre-purchase, according to Game Stop, would be pre-ordering the product and only paying the partial deposit. I was told at the time of purchase that paying in full upgraded me to a pre-purchase and would have access to all of the according pre-purchase goodies.

When I went to the ArenaNet site to input the code, it told me they were currently not accepting pre-order codes, only pre-purchase. If ArenaNet was honoring the codes, I honestly didn't see the threads or posts regarding it, and didn't think to take it to their customer service due to the fact it was a problem with the retailer.

After the registration error I called another local store and he didn't know there was a difference in the pre-order/pre-purchase options for Guild Wars 2. Once I explained the situation he did some research on his end and acknowledged my purchase yielded the wrong code and I would have to return to the original store to receive the correct code and corrections. When I returned to the original Game Stop, they wouldn't acknowledge the mistake and refused to give me another sort of code.

As a result, I asked for a refund. I have since purchased directly from the source. First time pre-ordering through a retailer, and the only real reason was the Lego store I took my kids to next to Game Stop and the big "GUILD WARS 2" logo blasted all over the store. -grumble-

Oh, and yea, the title was intentional. Sorry about that.