Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: System Mechanic – A Must Have App for PC Geeks

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Palazious

lol This went over like a fart in church. =p

That's why I always sit next to old ladies. 99% of the time, they'll apologize because they think they did it.image

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Ya know , being in the IT stuff myself I can say that SOME programs out there are pretty good even for a IT person. I have a friend of mine that has been doing IT work for 29 years and his responsibility is launching and networking new satellites in space and he recommends pc tuneup from avg, but even with programs like this you still need to know what your doing and what programs to disable enable ect.

So to the people who say this program is for newbs are newbs themselves and need to do actuarial research on the product.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Smart software if it improves your ping to a game server lol.

I agree with others that this review reads like an ad, especially if you finish like this :

"Who wouldn’t want a tool that will quietly and efficiently optimize so much of your system for such a low cost? It does everything I mentioned above and so much more.  The only downside is you’ll need to “resub” to the service plan on a yearly basis.  But for a year’s worth of protection and empowerment?  It’s hard to beat $35."

It does everything you mentioned and so much more..ohhh..and it Protects and Empowers your pc!

*sigh*

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    If you're going to buy a program like this, get D7.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

I normally like Bill's articles, but I was confused when I saw this posted on MMORPG.  It does feel like a paid review that would equate to recomending something like Symantec when most people can get the base version of AVG for free.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by stragen001

Paid Review?

If you are going to advertise a product, do it as an advertisement. 

Ditto

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Don't use any antivirus, even avast.  Just use adblock and noscript and be smart.  Auslogics has all these tools, including reg defrag. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

oh and guys, stop touting AVG, I know it's free but it's about the worst antivirus you can get.  If you want something free and you really can't stand not having some bloatware on your computer, avast is the only real choice.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

With the modern PCs out today, who needs this stuff? I'd rather put 40 towards new hardware.

Even an old 2008 system with a GTX 260 can keep up with any modern MMO just. These sassy tweaks are a complete waste, IMO.

The best way to keep your PC running fast is to keep it clean. Stay away from naughty websites, don't install every bs thing that pops up via web, etc.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Or, it could be, in our growing trend of hardware and software reviews, we thought we'd try something new!

I did pick this up, liked it, and thought I'd share it since our Roku Mouse review is taking longer than expected.  

Yeesh, folks. Lighten up. 

Just so YOU know. We love this site, we want it to be good as much as you do and we understand that having this site requires money.

Personally, I would rather see you do something like the above and call it an advertisement for revenue then pass it off as a review. Hell, I would actually rather have you NOT do the review and ask us to click on the advertisement for it to help get revenue for the site...

Either way, some of us may be acting hostile because doing it this way makes the site seem less credible for disengenuous aticles...it comes from love, not hate of the site.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Snippet60Snippet60 Member UncommonPosts: 20

I thought with the amazing feedback this zero-integrity stunt they pulled would have been deleted by now.  How did you feel about backing up something thats clearly a bad practice, Bill?

Do you like other website forums as they are where 1 in 2 comments are advertisements posing as comments/reviews/advice?  This is where you work.. It's like me going and driving through a shopping mall, hitting everyone I see and handing out pamphlets for a great new Emergency Medical Facility.

Hey man, Nice One.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Weeeeell Bill I'm usually on your side with these things but I agree, this has no place here. Now, if you were doing a more general article on software, more than one type, used to tune up a PC which in turn would help our games play better...well, that's a bit different.

I'd suggest the Game Mode from Advanced System Care myself, such a useful and cheap piece of software.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Worstluck
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

If I've learned anything about PC nerds.... its that they absolutely HATE it when someone posts about a program that "fixes" their PC.

PC nerds want to fix their own PCs and can't stand the notion that something exits that could potentially do a better job.

No, its just software like this causes more harm than good.  Things like this make my job harder.  If poeple just use their computer and surf the web responsibly, bloatware like this is not needed.  Not to mention that if you really want software that does this you can get it for free.

It is somewhat irritating when you read any article, even in the newspaper, where someone says such and such product is a must have for geeks when the writer knows less about such things than tech savy readers.

So let see.. Iolo System mechanic is rated at 59% detection if you are going to do an ad please do it on a quality product.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by stragen001

Paid Review?

If you are going to advertise a product, do it as an advertisement. 

You still haven't realized that many reviews here and many "news"  are paid stuff?

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

Umm... what the hell has this got to do with MMOs?

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Shouldn't a dedicated gamer have a gaming pc without any unecessary crap running on it?

Would that not be the better advice?

Lol who cares what they put on their forums? Just don't click on the link is all.

Myself I use avg pc tuneup which works like a dream it's not anti virus but I don't have a day to do major maintenance on my $6000.00 gaming rig I built myself, so I get the program and I calibrate it to my liking and everything else is old news.

To Bill, don't worry about the nay Sayers there's always afew in every crowd that goes for everything.
  • Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Lol who cares what they put on their forums? Just don't click on the link is all.

Myself I use avg pc tuneup which works like a dream it's not anti virus but I don't have a day to do major maintenance on my $6000.00 gaming rig I built myself, so I get the program and I calibrate it to my liking and everything else is old news.

To Bill, don't worry about the nay Sayers there's always afew in every crowd that goes for everything.

You built a $6000 gaming rig yourself ? And your friend launches satellites while doing desktop tech work? 

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

You built a $6000 gaming rig yourself ? And your friend launches satellites while doing desktop tech work? 

If he actually spent $6k to build a PC for gaming, he'd be the LAST person I'd ever take advice from. lol

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• SlineerSlineer Member Posts: 246

After reading this review I decided to check this out as surely it sounds to good to be true. What I found from various retailers and other sites were hundreds of negative reviews far out numbering the positive ones. Loaded with accusations that this program ruined the registry and required reformating to fix, among other more minor problems.  I have not used it so I will not give my opinion on the software itself, but be smart consumers. Dont click the link and buy it, see what other people have said about this first.

Also the best way to keep your PC clean and running smooth and fast is to avoid unessecary software and to leave whats working alone. By that logic, if your computer is running fine, save the money and let it keep running fine, why install new bloatware to remove old stuff, it just seems counter intuitive to me. If your computer ran fine yestarday without a dozen new driver updates, chances are it will continue to run fine without them tomorrow. Infact in my experience, driver updates have always caused more problems than they fix, that alone tells me this review was done by a PC novice. Its not hard keeping your pc running like new as you control everything that goes on it. Also as other people pointed out, nearly every feature provided can be obtained legaly for free.

I'll just end by chiming in with a +1 on the bullshit blatant advertisement that this is. The wording and very apparent positive bias for this product seems a bit over the top.  If you want to make honest reviews, please research the product, even if in your opinion its amazing, you might want to at least point out that many many MANY other people reported significant problems with this product and direct potential consumers to find that information themselves as well. People who buy this product because of this reveiw and have a negative experience with it will be holding it against MMORPG.com, not Iolo. 

• bishboshbishbosh Member Posts: 388

rofl mmorpg have been doing paid reviews for ages. do you guys remember all of those roccat peripheral reviews. WORST peripherals ever. i dont trust any of the journalism from this site, its all paid off. i only look at the forums. this system mechanic review is probably the most obvious example i have seen.

srsly mmorpg, this is pathetic.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I don't like these all in one clean programs.. You can't tell me one program can do everything better then the best individual prgrams.

CCleaner.

Comodo Firewall (only)

Panda Antivirus

SuperAntispyware

Auslogics Disk defrag.

Why would I need anything else?

Yeah I did and ALOT of people take advice from me! 1 Tb solid state server grade main board and a stand along server , rig has quad sli gtx 580"s and 40 gigabytes of ram, liquid cooling chassis , and tons of business and engineering software hence my $6000.00 cost at my cost so yeah, I know what I'm doing and not some little kiddie using mommy and daddy's computer in the basement! Have a nice day and screw you too!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Or, it could be, in our growing trend of hardware and software reviews, we thought we'd try something new!

I did pick this up, liked it, and thought I'd share it since our Roku Mouse review is taking longer than expected.  

Yeesh, folks. Lighten up. 

Lighten up?  That and the "news" is disrespectful to your forum members imho.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

If he actually spent $6k to build a PC for gaming, he'd be the LAST person I'd ever take advice from. lol

ironically so true. you can build an absolute top of the line for less than 1500, no idea what he spent the other 4500 on...

i built a 700 buck rig that could handle everything i have thrown at it so far.