Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't go by Total Biscuit's completely misinformed review/rant of D3

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I enjoy TBs work but I don't agree with everything he says.

That's ok though, everyone is entitled to their opinion right?

I think D3, TL2 and PoE are awesome games and will get hundreds of hours out of all of them. 

TB would rather play TL2 & PoE? More power to the guy.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Originally posted by Everket
    Originally posted by monarc333

Dont listen to him anymore. He walks a fine like between being an asshole and being entertaining. Too often he's the asshole.

Asshole because he dares criticise a game? Why? Give me one good reason for online only drm, just one. There is no justification for it, and the amount of people defending it doesn't make sense. That is the main issue. He is not saying it's a bad game, so why would you call him an asshole? Are people not allowed to come with constructive criticism? It's at least a lot  better than your criticism, which has no valid points, and doesn't explain anything. 

You misunderstand, my comment has nothing to do with D3. Its a general comment about him. Hes very arrogant, just not a good guy. If you've had personal contact with him you might come away with the same opinion. And this is just an opinion. I'm allowed one of those, right?

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by monarc333
    Originally posted by Everket Originally posted by monarc333 Dont listen to him anymore. He walks a fine like between being an asshole and being entertaining. Too often he's the asshole.
    Asshole because he dares criticise a game? Why? Give me one good reason for online only drm, just one. There is no justification for it, and the amount of people defending it doesn't make sense. That is the main issue. He is not saying it's a bad game, so why would you call him an asshole? Are people not allowed to come with constructive criticism? It's at least a lot  better than your criticism, which has no valid points, and doesn't explain anything. 
    You misunderstand, my comment has nothing to do with D3. Its a general comment about him. Hes very arrogant, just not a good guy. If you've had personal contact with him you might come away with the same opinion. And this is just an opinion. I'm allowed one of those, right?

You are, just like TB is allowed to have an opinion. One which attracts the attention of hundreds of thousands. :P

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I just expected more from TotalBiscuit.  If he truly understood all of the problems with online play in D2 then he would at least be informed on an offline mode would create the same nightmare for online play in D3.  Either he doesn't understand why the smarts are on the server, and off of your machine, or he doesn't care and just wants to blast Blizzard/Activision.  The fact of the matter is that he doesn't really care for the genre and is railing for a cause he isn't a part of and isn't well informed on.

If offline play is that important to you then there are other games for you.  Just move on.  But don't get all flustered over Blizzard proactively addressing the mess that was created by the old battle net.  They couldn't do that with an offline mode.  And if you don't understand why that is I can't explain it any simpler than I already have.

I don't hate Total Biscuit and I have no problem adding to his youtube hits.  I just no longer respect him or his knowledge.  He clearly hates big publishers and feels the need to stand up for the "little guy", whether they need it or not.

Blizzard did not do this to make it easy for us as players let me explain something

There is a game called Dungeon defenders, quite popular 1-8 player  tactical action rpg cutesy graphics but a solid system.

Created by the developer trendy a quite small developer team, it can be played solo, lan, online or on there secure servers.

Now you can have your single player fun or even 8 player fun on private servers cheats/mods and silliness it is good to test out what if situations, then you have ONLINE play on public servers (covered by security to stop hacking etc) and then you have the official trendy servers, your char is saved on there system and you can back it up to your pc for single play etc (you can't uploaded it back to stop cheating).

That game has a software development kit and a full market system.

IF they can do that do not give me bullshit on how Blizzard is only looking after our own interests, Trendy = freedom, Blizzard = not but people like you will always believe blizzard knows best, they are run by accountants and not innovators

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

TB made some very valid points, people emailed him and asked for his opinion on D3 and many other games, so he gave his opinion, whether people agree with him or not is completely irrelevant, but it doesnt make him a douche for giving his piece of mind.

I didnt buy D3 for most of the reasons he gave, RMAH, having to be online to play singleplayer, and the fact that the game is just friggin boring, Blizzard are not making games for consumers, they are making games for the fanbois of Blizzard who will happily throw their money Blizzards way without any thought.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

TB mentioned log in issues (for a singleplayer)... anyone still having log in issues?

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by joocheese

TB mentioned log in issues (for a singleplayer)... anyone still having log in issues?

Can't log in right now.

Getting a "Failed to update tools" error. Their website is also down. Fucking POS game.

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by AZHokie54
    Originally posted by joocheese

Can't log in right now.

Getting a "Failed to update tools" error. Their website is also down. Fucking POS game.

Everything blizzard is down. Cant get games/websites to work at all.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Some hackers are probably busy trying to embarrass them for trying to hard DRM a single player game.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Problems must be american only then, everything works well in europe atm

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by colddog04

Some hackers are probably busy trying to embarrass them for trying to hard DRM a single player game.

hackers or Blizzard's not having a good week

• SykoleisaSykoleisa Member Posts: 41

its hard to go by something that the guy doesn't make (reviews that is).

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

I like TotalBiscuit's quick looks but his self entitlement is very high...

And btw: no one mentions Guest Keys. I personally think Guest Keys had a large influence on the Error 37. I know 4 people who bought D3 and gave away their 3 guest keys. That is 12 additional people trying to log in for the 4 people that actually bought the game!

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by calranthe

I just expected more from TotalBiscuit.  If he truly understood all of the problems with online play in D2 then he would at least be informed on an offline mode would create the same nightmare for online play in D3.  Either he doesn't understand why the smarts are on the server, and off of your machine, or he doesn't care and just wants to blast Blizzard/Activision.  The fact of the matter is that he doesn't really care for the genre and is railing for a cause he isn't a part of and isn't well informed on.

If offline play is that important to you then there are other games for you.  Just move on.  But don't get all flustered over Blizzard proactively addressing the mess that was created by the old battle net.  They couldn't do that with an offline mode.  And if you don't understand why that is I can't explain it any simpler than I already have.

I don't hate Total Biscuit and I have no problem adding to his youtube hits.  I just no longer respect him or his knowledge.  He clearly hates big publishers and feels the need to stand up for the "little guy", whether they need it or not.

Blizzard did not do this to make it easy for us as players let me explain something

There is a game called Dungeon defenders, quite popular 1-8 player  tactical action rpg cutesy graphics but a solid system.

Created by the developer trendy a quite small developer team, it can be played solo, lan, online or on there secure servers.

Now you can have your single player fun or even 8 player fun on private servers cheats/mods and silliness it is good to test out what if situations, then you have ONLINE play on public servers (covered by security to stop hacking etc) and then you have the official trendy servers, your char is saved on there system and you can back it up to your pc for single play etc (you can't uploaded it back to stop cheating).

That game has a software development kit and a full market system.

IF they can do that do not give me bullshit on how Blizzard is only looking after our own interests, Trendy = freedom, Blizzard = not but people like you will always believe blizzard knows best, they are run by accountants and not innovators

The only other conclusion would be that Blizzard are less competent than indie company.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by kartana

I like TotalBiscuit's quick looks but his self entitlement is very high...

And btw: no one mentions Guest Keys. I personally think Guest Keys had a large influence on the Error 37. I know 4 people who bought D3 and gave away their 3 guest keys. That is 12 additional people trying to log in for the 4 people that actually bought the game!

There's really no excuse for the launch mess. They're the same developers who run the biggest MMORPG, if they wanted to implement this extremely restrictive system for a single player with coop options. they should have known better how it could turn out.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    I like Total Biscuit, and the early work he did for WOW was, well.......EPIC, but I can't escape the feeling that many of these complaints are just like the complaints that emerged with the release of Starcraft II. Some of the professional Brood war players still haven't made the transition. Still, Starcraft II has turned out to be a colossal success. If I was a betting man, I would bet D3 will too.  As long as it doesn't lose in the late-game......so to speak.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Rant over review by far. Diablo 3 has flaws but it also has a lot of good stuff. Any hack and slash lover will enjoy diablo 3 I feel, just they might be a bit discouraged by its attempt to mainstream. I have a feeling diablo 3 might end up changing over time, possibly evolving more as they might realize that casual gamers aren't so quick to embrace the game and will shift it more into the rpg elements they cut out.

Its not perfect by far, but its not bad either. Biggest issue is its genre. 

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by qazyman
    I like Total Biscuit, and the early work he did for WOW was, well.......EPIC, but I can't escape the feeling that many of these complaints are just like the complaints that emerged with the release of Starcraft II. Some of the professional Brood war players still haven't made the transition. Still, Starcraft II has turned out to be a colossal success. If I was a betting man, I would bet D3 will too.  As long as it doesn't lose in the late-game......so to speak.

Did you listen to it? Because he never said it was a poor game. 

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Everket
    Originally posted by qazyman

Did you listen to it? Because he never said it was a poor game. 

Yes I did.

I have a hard time understanding how someone can rant for 17 minutes about almost every aspect of a game, and not be saying it's a poor game. He says Torchlight 2 is a better game in almost every way.  He was very critical of the game.

And, as I said, these were the same types of criticisms we saw with Starctaft II, and they didn't stop that game from being a colossal success.
  • MaNiaGGMaNiaGG Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by sgel

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.

Excuse me?... why would I buy Torchlight 2 if I wasn't interested in the genre?

You diss TB for not liking Diablo 3 as much as you do but then go and critique a game that isn't even out yet.

The fact that Torchlight 2 can compare with a game created by the richest company in the business and with such a ridiculous development time, says loads about it :)

Well, I can "compare" my Dodge Ram with your Suzuki Ignis, too.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

TB's a tool that talks about popular games to get hits on his youtube or website.  never listen to the nedia make your own decisions.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

This wasn't a full review of D3 it was an answer to a mailbox question. TB is definitely not misinformed.

You simply don't know the history of how other companies tried to do just what Blizzard did with D3 and it failed with those other companies as well and damaged their fanbase in the process.

And finally let me ask you this question as it will prove those of you who believe that the RMAH was the right move and somehow not a greedy move on Blizzard's part....

It's a simple coding proceedure to separate the code that is used for the RMAH so that people who play the single player game won't be able to use the RMAH at ALL yet did Blizzard offer this as an option forcing ONLY those who wanted to play online to use the RMAH? NO they didn't and that's very telling.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

TB's a tool that talks about popular games to get hits on his youtube or website.  never listen to the nedia make your own decisions.

Actually thats your opinion, I enjoy his casts, and find his opinion to be reasonable usually.  Do listen to media, but use your own brain and wit to work out for yourself what is relevant or not. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Basicaly TB doesnt like D3 and only played a little bit of it. He isnt hiding anything so i dont see the problem with his rant.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

I was pretty sceptical, but after watching his vid, I can see a lot of his points being pretty solid. Thanks for showing me this lol, you did me a good service. ;)