Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forget the endgame, what about the long game?

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is VERY simple A-net missed the boat by creating a one time play through Altaholic game.The best design for longevity and community is PVE and sub classes.

You then create a whole new tier of content based on the story line,the way FFXI did with it's missions.It gives the players meaningful content to break away from the everyday grinds or leveling or player advancement.You can also make farming lucrative,example FOOD in FFXI was VERY important and crafting those arrows to use was a MUST,so you needed to farm.

All that depth of content adds realism to the game and keeps players busy other than just doing the same old uni directional race to end level then pvp.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

For me its going to be pvp for the most part. They have already mentioned they will be adding more events regularly and I also expect expansions fairly regularly too.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

The % unlock isn't how many DEs you've done, it's simply a list of how many points of interest you've seen + heart tasks done + waypoints unlocked.

You could hit 100% without seeing most of the DEs, the vast majority of the story, and without discovering a single secret.

They mentioned in an article what that percentage is, and even in the demo, if you look, the percentage explored only goes up when you do one of those three things... finished hearts, points of interest and heart tasks.  Oh, and maybe the skill points, I forget.

Basically hitting 100% just means you've wandered over the whole world and hit certain hot spots, not that you've 100% finished the game.

edit:  Also, Wizardry made me laugh.  I'm not sure 'Be FFXI' is the world's best concept for how to make your bestselling MMORPG.  Oh well.  It takes all types, I guess. :)  I personally appreciate that Arenanet has their own vision and design and went with it.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Talk your friends into playing! If they are level 1 you can sidekick and play along with them! Don't forget that even at level 80 you can still go anywhere in Tyria and the challenge will still be there because of the dynamic level adjustment. And the devs will be moving and creating new DEs from what I read. That means that the world will always be changing and not get dull!

I'm playing another mmorpg right now that only has one starting area. The replay value on it pretty much sucks because it's the same starting area, same quests, same blah, blah. GW2 will be better for replay value for my alts!

I'm hoping the mini-games are fun, I'm looking forward to that also!

PvP will be awesome to play at anytime on the way to endgame. 

Crafting! I love any game with good crafting. The game I'm playing right now has it but it isn't worth making anything because the items can be aquired through normal drops. It's a waist of time. GW2 has a great crafting system. I like that you can experiment and come up with your own recipes. 

Just the fun of adventuring. I'm looking forward to finding all of the jumping puzzles. I did some of the SWToR datacron quests and I was terrible at them. I know I will suck at the GW2 jumping puzzles but I love trying. 

edit: spelling

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Sorrow

Do not forget NC lovesssssss expansions... by the time you get one avatar to 80 if you take your time I am willing to bet the first expansion will be waiting..

That is a good bet, you kinda have to make expansions for B2P games rather often.

Expect one every 9 months. That still might make some people take a 2 months break but frankly is that just healthy.

Relax, explore and enjoy the game. Once you explored everything (or close to) run the dungeons in explorable mood and PvP. If you take your time instead of powerleveling you will do fine.

If you on the other way love doing all content rushing through the game in one month you are missing part of the fun but it is your choice. Then you are a so called "bungee player" that jumps in a while after every expansion.

Remember that it is you that should have fun so try to play the game so you maximize your fun, and forget what other people say. Since your friend will level down if they get into your zones the old "hurry so you can play with us" doesn't really work.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Loke666

Do not forget NC lovesssssss expansions... by the time you get one avatar to 80 if you take your time I am willing to bet the first expansion will be waiting..

That is a good bet, you kinda have to make expansions for B2P games rather often.

Expect one every 9 months. That still might make some people take a 2 months break but frankly is that just healthy.

Relax, explore and enjoy the game. Once you explored everything (or close to) run the dungeons in explorable mood and PvP. If you take your time instead of powerleveling you will do fine.

If you on the other way love doing all content rushing through the game in one month you are missing part of the fun but it is your choice. Then you are a so called "bungee player" that jumps in a while after every expansion.

Remember that it is you that should have fun so try to play the game so you maximize your fun, and forget what other people say. Since your friend will level down if they get into your zones the old "hurry so you can play with us" doesn't really work.

This is so true what Loke666 said. I have written before that I am retired and my sons like to play games at the same time I do. Since they work, I have to play at a really slow pace so we can play the same areas together. In GW2 I can play to my hearts content and not worry about out-leveling them because of  the sidekick system! This is one of my favorite things about the game.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by MercAngel

after 40 hour of play lvl 22 with only 6% of the wold explored

not where does the 6% come from  just the stuff open in beta we had access to  or all the world that is still locked.

if it is from all the world  and i could do 6% more every 40 hours of play it whould take about  16 weeks just to explore every thing. but i know it going to take longer to explore the higher lvl zones.

if it is from the stuff unlock in beta only and not the rest of the world then WOW it will take a long long time to explore every thing.

That number refers to all heart quests, waypoints, points of interest, and skill point challenges discovered and completed in the entire world, not just beta.  But it does not account for dynamic events (though some are related to the points of interest), pvp, crafting, personal story, or anything dungeon related.  There will definitely be a LOT to do.  And as others have pointed out from that recent PC gamer article, every zone will continually be updated with new events.  Six months down the road, even if you are working on your 3rd or 4th character, you will very likely encounter many entirely different things throughout your levleing process.  

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

There was a quote from a dev in this forum talking about 300 hours of gameplay at launch.

• 7.5 Weeks at 40 hours a week.
    • 10 Weeks at 30 hours a week.
    • 15 Weeks at 20 hours a week.
    • 30 Weeks at 10 hours a week.
    • 60 Weeks at 5 hours a week.
    I think I fit in at about 5 hours a week (as I'll also still be playing Rift and D3).  I'm sure within the first year they'll release more content!

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by maddbomber83

There was a quote from a dev in this forum talking about 300 hours of gameplay at launch.

? Are you sure that wasn't about Skyrim or such? I can recall that figure being used regarding Skyrim but not with GW2.

Anyway, it takes about 90 hours to reach level cap (about 1.5 hr per level from L30 onwards), so probably around 60-70 hrs for the faster levelers among us. After that, you'll have dungeons, exploring other classes, character stories and areas you haven't been in, the arena PvP and WvW PvP.

Just like with other MMO's, it depends what your usual reasons are to stay playing in an MMO after you've reached level cap, that differs per person.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Well from what i've seen and read, the content will expand after level 30 into dungeons with explore options and meta events which are chained events that branch, think of it like a tree. It's definitely not a group quest basic design that repeats constantly (unless players nearby are simply that terrible at completing tasks that lead up to the meta events or you have some kind of griefers standing around which i believe they already have a workaround for). The events chain to other minor events and then half way in an area they begin to change into more advanced events that are called meta events where the game decides which out of 3 or 4 events will take place next to keep it as random as possible. They make it this way to reward you for staying in a zone longer and following the path of events. Reaching the end in these meta events will lead to highly rewarding fun major events.

The code is impressive, from what i've seen from the beta videos they have completely streamlined the events system so they can add content faster then the standard patching system used in most modern mmo's which means they will have content in the main world where one doesn't have to buy a patch every second to actually play.

I'm excited by their practices it looks like they might actually have solved every known problem with these games so far.

• V-L-A-DV-L-A-D Member Posts: 50

I don't know about you guys, but for me the end game is really interesting. When you get to 80lvl you unlock 3 dungeons filled with awesome looking gear (its not stronger than any other 80lvl gear, but it's all about the style) so it will be fun to get them. At 80lvl you can pay some attention for your guild while you don't need leveling anymore. Also it should be fun to raise an alt, you can get help from your 80lvl character with some gear, crafting, gold.

Sorry for bad English. :)

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483
    Originally posted by donpopuki

As you may know GW2 boasts having the "endgame starts at level 1". There isn't any raiding or traditional gear grind progession at level 80, which is fine with me since I never was much of raider (not enough free time). My question is once you take your sweet time to smell the roses along the way to lv 80 what is there to do? By then I would assume one would have seen about 75% of the game's content and it's just a month or two beyond that probably to see the rest.

Basically whats going to keep me playing once I've leveled 3 alts to 80?

Of course pvp, Gvging did not bore us for 4 years straight, Anet changed the game all the time in GW and kept it fresh imo. They will have this in PVE side as well with a higher scale for GW2. Devs once said they will have whole team for random content replacement that touches any zone in the world chaging the dynamic events, adding new ones probably without an update notice. He also said when you play with an alt 3 months later that zone may offer lots of different content that werent there back then. Also the personal story have lots of twists accoirding to your personal decisions, self organised tournaments will be always good fun.

Also, guild wars was really satisfying with its expansion packs, it delivered a whole new game with lots of new content and gameplay. Design of Guild Wars 2 is a lot more suitable to expand, with its weapon system. And The world map is missing two colossal pieces Elona Cantha which may appear really very differently because of the time lapse. I dying to know what happened in Cantha after all those years, what happened to the factions, what happened to dervishes... I just think we will have endless fun!

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178

Exactly and people think its f2p. Expansions will ensure they Get as much money in as s sub game. Funny how people think game developers make games for free
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Nethriil

Exactly and people think its f2p. Expansions will ensure they Get as much money in as s sub game. Funny how people think game developers make games for free

Ummm....the only people who say it's f2p are the misinformed, or trolls.  GW2, like its predecessor is B2P.  But to say that they get as much money as a sub is not quite correct.  It may seem like that in the short term (like right after they release the expansion) but it's definitely not in the long term.

GW1 has been going for over 7 years now, since the first game was released.  It's been 4 1/2 years since EotN.  If you look at the total cost of all of the GW1 games in that 7 years @ $50 for each game and $40 for EotN, you only paid $190.  In 7 years that's less than $30 per year.  Try playing a sub game for that price over 7 years.  Even if you only bought the 3 games and EotN at full price 4 years ago (6 months after EotN came out), you're still paying less than $50.

The total time from original Prophecies release to EotN release was roughly 2 1/2 years.  If we assume that GW2 will keep to a similar schedule (and there's no reason to think they wouldn't) you are only paying $96 per year in 2 1/2 years if you pay the full $60 for each game/expansion.  You pay almost twice that in sub fees alone for sub based games.

So while Anet is certainly not making games for free, they are also not gouging their customers.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Nethriil

Maybe. The difference is that with a sub you have to keep paying if you want to keep on playing. With an expansion you can choose not to buy it and just keep playing the content you paid for. That's a big difference, a very big one.

It's buy to play, not free to play. That's a part where the developer gets paid for their game. Then there's a non-P2W cash shop and expansions with additional content. Nobody that has been following the game thinks that it's a free to play game.

imageimage
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

From level 1 to level 15 during the beta week end + stress test evening, I saw 8% of the game, but this includes exploring a lot (including higher level areas where I was dodging mobs that would one hit me). If we remove the high level area exploration, this would be approx. 5%, possibly less.

There are 80 levels in the game.

So at level 80, by playing normally (not going out of my way to explore high level areas but simply playing the game), I would have seen (5/15)*80=27% of the game.

Looks like there will be a lot to be explored and discovered even after hitting 80...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !