Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape: The Evolution of Combat Project Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The RuneScape team is ready to reveal details about the Evolution of Combat update that will shortly arrive in a limited-access beta phase. According to the team, the update with retool the entire combat system to give players a revolutionary new way to fight.

Due to the game-changing nature of the release, RuneScape members will have the opportunity to be among the first to trial the new system with a limited access closed beta; the first in the game’s history. Beta registration will open to all RuneScape members on 1st June in preparation for the first beta entry on 26th June. The beta will run from 26th June until September and will allow testers the exclusive chance to preview the expansion before the rest of the world.

Keep an eye on the RuneScape< site for more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• controversecontroverse Member Posts: 2

nice! too bad i left the game 3 years ago..

• SillyPantzSillyPantz Member UncommonPosts: 15

4 years ago here

• rastareyrastarey Member Posts: 3

5 years for me

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Not my taste at all.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

runescape is a good game just very very old

• CuhltonCuhlton Member Posts: 6

I still play Runescape. The main thing I love is that there isn't a set class, and you have so many skills to choose from that you can do.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    8 years for me
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by Jolander
    8 years for me

It was the here, i quit RS about 8 years ago and just came back to mess around. I am actually quite surprised how good the game is, aside from the grind.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• TwistingfateTwistingfate Member Posts: 177

I play it here and there. seems to be my comeback game lol. I always end up playing it for a bit and then stopping again. Its cool how its evolved though. :)

• Ex0dUs101Ex0dUs101 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Ive just gone back and im massively impressed with how Jagex are bringing the game up to date and still keeping it very accessible for all. So much so ive resubbed...

Happy to hear you are enjoying it exodus. its an old game but one i always find my self coming back to haha. the community seems to have matured a lot over the years as well which is nice. I live on world 48, the people are pretty cool.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

It'd be nice if they explained exactly WHAT the revolutionary part of the combat is. Combat was one of the dullest parts of the game and why I couldn't get into it. I liked all the additional stuff you could do, I could get over the graphics, but ultimately I want to incorporate combat into my gameplay at some point and RS could never fulfill that for me. Anyone know what the new combat is supposed to be like? Or have a link out there that explains it in detail? I'm not seeing much.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

They havent really released much info at all to be honest. just saying they want to rework it and make the combat more involved. they said they will be introducing more information as it gets closer to the beta though.

• KushmasterKushmaster Member Posts: 47

Played RS maybe 5-6 years ago. I remember its terrible combat. Anyone ever wonder what it would be like if RS was a full-fledged 3D retail MMO? I'd play it. It would make for a good sandbox with themepark elements. I like the no class system.

• KyuzoS8KyuzoS8 Member Posts: 13

they need to rid the game of bots and scammers completely...

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by KyuzoS8

they need to rid the game of bots and scammers completely...

No matter how many people they hire to take care of botters they'll never ever get rid of them, same goes for any other online game, if there's real money to be made from selling gold/items then players will continue to find a way to bot.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by sacredfool
    Originally posted by Jolander
    8 years for me

It was the here, i quit RS about 8 years ago and just came back to mess around. I am actually quite surprised how good the game is, aside from the grind.

i played in 5th, 6th, and part of 7th grade.  oh the drama with the other kids!  "you hacked my account and stole my gear!" "no! you left your account screen open and finders keepers!".  there was seriously a kid in the class who would try to take everyones stuff.  it was ridiculous.  had so much fun with it!  but...my best friends brother had gotten WoW and showed it to us...we said we wouldn't play it, but just a time later we quit RS and started WoW.  I wish they would release a vanila WoW optional server.  would be great.  I loved the game up until BC.  the shift in the in-game economy, item stats, and the quests in BC was so haywire that it just ruined it for me.  I quit, tried WotLK for about a month and stopped.  Someone ended up hacking that account and for some reason was actually doing quests.  Leveled me to 80 from 70.  Pretty cool.  I played for a "return to Aziroth" trial at some point for maybe 30 minutes and had enough.  CMON GW2!  next BWE here i come! WvWvW!

• Yuki_KitsuneYuki_Kitsune Member Posts: 4

Wow it's still alive and kicking <.< well I suppose that since it's score has risen over teh years I should stop hating on it so much. Non the less, good to see it's not so terriable anymoar. Grats to thier team! Still I won't be playing :3 

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Best days were the Classic days from 2001 to 2003 or so. I miss my full set of party hats and all those drops on special days :) Haven't logged in forever.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I still miss the old 2d graphics!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Two games I would have liked to have seen redone: UO and RS.......I thought both games offered alot of unique gameplay but the graphics in both felt so 1980ish that it ruined both games.....Also the community in both wasnt all that great either.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

It'd be nice if they explained exactly WHAT the revolutionary part of the combat is. Combat was one of the dullest parts of the game and why I couldn't get into it. I liked all the additional stuff you could do, I could get over the graphics, but ultimately I want to incorporate combat into my gameplay at some point and RS could never fulfill that for me. Anyone know what the new combat is supposed to be like? Or have a link out there that explains it in detail? I'm not seeing much.

They detailed some of what they'd LIKE to do (that is, no guarantees) at RuneFest last year. Some of the main goals:

Balance the Combat Triangle (Melee > Range > Mage > Melee). Right now, Melee is the premeir form of combat because the other two styles are either underpowered or are too expensive to be feasible.

Incorporate more varied effects into magical spells and give weaknesses to NPC enemies - for example, casting a fire spell on a moss giant should do additional damage.

Most importantly, players will have an ABILITIES BAR that will be filled with abilities gained by leveling active combat skills (Attack, Strength, Defense, Ranged, Magic, and Prayer). For example, achieving level 90 Defence might grant an ability that makes the player immune to damage for 10 seconds. Level 10 Ranged awards a snaring shot. You know the drill; standard MMO combat. It's just revolutionary for RuneScape and incorporates leveling and specialization in one (since you can choose which combat skills you want to train, and the abilities and their effectiveness are determined by the level of those combat skills).

Besides that, gear and monster rebalancing - all gear, and all monsters - are coming, too. That's why they need to test everything.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

The major changes that have been stated for the combat revamp are:

1. Action bars (optional, you don't need to use them)

2. Adding combat abilities/special attacks when you hit certain levels (these will go in action bars, along with prayer, spells, etc.)

3. Re-jiggering armor to have fewer offensive bonuses, but better tweak the "combat triangle" (i.e., mage gear will defend better against melee, range better vs. mage, melee better vs. range)

That's all I've heard to far, really. There likely will be even more, but these are what is "expected" best on what J-Mods have said and "leaks" found by players.

They've stated that you'll still be able to engage in combat as you do now, but you will be missing out on DPS and survivability, as the abilities/specials you earn as you level higher in combat skills need to be activated.

• mmachine88mmachine88 Member Posts: 7

I put a bit of time into Runescape myself. I would never go back to it due to the fact i did almost everything i could and the graphics. The game feels like something that could of been acomplished in the 90's. If they made a sequel to the game and made it a downloadable game with better graphics i would probablly purchase it.

• lynncurablelynncurable Member UncommonPosts: 1

First off I would like to say that this is just my opinion from having played runescape for over 6 years and seeing many good and bad changes. And as someone who actually likes most of the new EOC.

With that said now that EOC in runescape has come out I must say while it is better than I had thought it is still lacking many things. I also can see why so many are against it as it was done despite several paying members objections and along with all kinds of pushes for their money in the form of rewards  if you spend real world cash which has led many to be upset with jagex and feel like they no longer care about the game but rather making as much as possible from them

One problem is that what many came to runescape for was because it wasn't world of warcraft or any of the others out there. Because it was so unique many were willing to put up with all the bots, lagging and scams as well as the idea that for the last couple of years Jagex has seemed to be ignoring their loyal members and spending more time trying to create new ways to make more money off of them than fixing real problems like bots and lagging.

In my opinion now that they are no longer unique they will have to seriously complete with all the others out there which means at least three things will have to change

1) they will have to get rid of bots and real world trading which so far they have not been able to do by any means and fix the game so it lags less and is thus more smooth to play

2)Combat will have to be looked at and revamped yet again one example is  multi combat in all areas while being a different change of pace now means that instead of beating out bots for a monster then getting the rewards you will fight alongside bots and most likely lose the drop this must be addressed along with all the other combat problems

3) must they must improve their loyalty and service to members and win back all those they alienated in the last year or two. This mean listening to their concerns fixing the game and not just advertising more ways to get their money players want real game changes that improve it not just more adds for sol's store and rewards for the many ways to buy in game coins and membership.

I do want to give EOC a chance and hope that Jagex will finally start to listen to all players and fix the game but even though I do love the game and will for now play I do not recommend it to anyone if one must spend money spend more and get a better game experience with less bots and better customer support