Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Official Video of Project Copernicus (the kingdoms of amalur MMO)

13»

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

FFS guys, Stop with the fking assumptions.

You guys can tell whether the game is good or not by just looking at the environment video.

Play the game first and then tell Curt to sort off if the game is bad.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by xmenty

You guys can tell whether the game is good or not by just looking at the environment video.

You may not tell from the environment videos but you sure as hell can tell from his comments.  Plenty of which I listed above.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Graphic style looks preety WoW-ish cartoony.  Just higher polygon count and higher rez textures.  

Setting is a bit diffrent but well.

It is not surprising though as Kingdom of Amalur looked preety WoW-ish in graphic style as well.

Seriously I don't understand why some people are impressed.

Of course grahics look nice, but imo GW2, TERA, AoC and ArcheAge all look better than graphics in this vid.

Matter of personal preferences propably.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Zylaxx                                                                                                                                                                             Well, I also can't believe all the retards telling the head of a studio who just launched a x-platform RPG that has sold over a million copies in a month how he needs to market his game.

Someone should remind that schmuck that KoA only sold 330k in it's first month and has sold trickles since then.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

well all i know is this game is officially OFF my radar. looks like all my hopes lay with AA and dare i say EQ Next.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by xmenty

You may not tell from the environment videos but you sure as hell can tell from his comments.  Plenty of which I listed above.

Zylaxx, I had seen some of those comments from Curt before but not all of them, thanks.  Soooo....., yeah, I had pretty much figured out what kind of game they were making before all this started.  I suppose they could suprise us but I won't be pinning any hopes on that remote possibility.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by Zylaxx                                                                                                                                                                             Well, I also can't believe all the retards telling the head of a studio who just launched a x-platform RPG that has sold over a million copies in a month how he needs to market his game.  
    Someone should remind that schmuck that KoA only sold 330k in it's first month and has sold trickles since then.
    You mean not counting pc sales , right? If yes then sure.

The real KOA sales are way over one million already which is astonishingly good.

Not to mention that due to pretty much unified critical praise for the game, Amalur is quite already established as one of the best rpg games in last few years. People KNOW what Amalur is.

Add to that the unique and beautiful look of Copernicus and I really can't see them NOT getting investors.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

It was a little surprising to see Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning sitting pretty at number four in the NPD software sales charts for February, an impressive feat for a brand new IP. But what does the number translate to in actual sales? NPD tells Joystiq that Reckoning sold a total of 330,000 copies in the US across Xbox, PS3 and PC last month.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/09/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-sold-330-000-in-the-us-last-month/

Though if Europe and Asia bought like craaaazy they might have sold a million

Originally posted by obii
    It was a little surprising to see Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning sitting pretty at number four in the NPD software sales charts for February, an impressive feat for a brand new IP. But what does the number translate to in actual sales? NPD tells Joystiq that Reckoning sold a total of 330,000 copies in the US across Xbox, PS3 and PC last month.http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/09/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-sold-330-000-in-the-us-last-month/ Though if Europe and Asia bought like craaaazy they might have sold a million

That does not include steam sales or any sort of digital sales. :)

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Originally posted by Yuui

You mean not counting pc sales , right? If yes then sure.

The real KOA sales are way over one million already which is astonishingly good.

Not to mention that due to pretty much unified critical praise for the game, Amalur is quite already established as one of the best rpg games in last few years. People KNOW what Amalur is.

Add to that the unique and beautiful look of Copernicus and I really can't see them NOT getting investors.

If KoA did much better with digital sales, EA and 38 Studios would have been bragging through the roof.

KoA never even came close to a million sales, or it would have been blasted everywhere by both EA and Schilling.

In fact, take a look at May 2012's statement: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1819153208x0x566942/0a817daf-08b4-4e2d-bc35-c00d03059369/FINAL_Earnings_Release_withPressTables_1204pm_PDF.pdf

While willing to throw out praise for the contributions of FIFA, SWTOR, Mass Effect 3, and Battlefield to EA's bottom line, the only mention of KoA is a quick blurb of it being a "successful" release.

So, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your rose colored glasses are cracked.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I think SKyrim really hurt games like KoA......It just raised the bar so much on what is expected of a big time game anymore that everything else seems to fall short....If 38 had released KoA a year or two ago it would have done better.....KoA also felt too "fableish" for me......As for Copernicus, it just seems that a release date of June 2013 is really pushing it....Not so much that can they get in out in that time, but can the company stay afloat another full year without some other funding?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Very nice video, pretty impressed with it.

Originally posted by Theocritus

I think SKyrim really hurt games like KoA......It just raised the bar so much on what is expected of a big time game anymore that everything else seems to fall short....If 38 had released KoA a year or two ago it would have done better.....KoA also felt too "fableish" for me......As for Copernicus, it just seems that a release date of June 2013 is really pushing it....Not so much that can they get in out in that time, but can the company stay afloat another full year without some other funding?

I think trying to compare themselves to Skyrim hurt even more than just the existance of Skyrim itself. There would have been a lot less backlash and disappointment if they hadn't tried to play that card.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I think trying to compare themselves to Skyrim hurt even more than just the existance of Skyrim itself. There would have been a lot less backlash and disappointment if they hadn't tried to play that card.

My first thoughts on Amalur when I played it were "It's Skyrim lite!"

My second thoughts were: "If Skyrim and WoW had a love child, and it was some kind of idiot savant that was awesome at combat but mediocre or worse at everything else, it would be this game."

KoA never even came close to a million sales, or it would have been blasted everywhere by both EA and Schilling.

In fact, take a look at May 2012's statement: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1819153208x0x566942/0a817daf-08b4-4e2d-bc35-c00d03059369/FINAL_Earnings_Release_withPressTables_1204pm_PDF.pdf

While willing to throw out praise for the contributions of FIFA, SWTOR, Mass Effect 3, and Battlefield to EA's bottom line, the only mention of KoA is a quick blurb of it being a "successful" release.

So, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your rose colored glasses are cracked.

And yet anything in that link fails to mention any of smaller dev successes. Where's minecraft? Or any non corporate games? Nope. oh i know why! Because its just EA games!
    It would not be mentioned under EA because its not "EA" game. EA only published it. EA does not own it, nor an rights to it. EA owns all other games you quoted. THey got profits from Amalur they mentioned that, but sales numbers are not theirs to announce.

M.Pachter also happens to disagree with you.

This is way too reminiscent of "they should have released torchlight II before diablocraft III !!!" crap I have been hearing over here.

Sorry no.

Now while better than abysmal failures that were Oblivion and "Fallout" III, Skyrim was a disappointment. Streamlined, consolized, senseless thing without any atmosphere. It felt like a movie and not like an RPG. Skyrim was pretty much a "Oblivion-Lite: The Dragon Grinding Edition".

Amalur was a great alternative for a folks like me. Amalur felt more like Elder Scrolls than Skyrim did.

not to mention that Amalur actually had an actual good combat system and beautiful world instead of "tundra, tundra tundra, oh look some skeletons(I guess I have to click mouse a few times while jumping backwards), and now more tundra, oh a mammoth, now lets go back to skeletons" of skyrim.

Amalur was met with huge critical and community praise. And Frankly I have not enjoyed an rpg this much since the masterpiece that was Dragon Age Origins.

Amalur was first game to TRULY merge true RPG gaming and Action Combat and make it work on both fronts and just like I'd take Torchlight II over the mess that is D3, I will always take Amalur over Oblivion and Skyrim. Any Day. And i have no doubt that with Amalur II, Elder Scrolls franchise will be completely surpassed(just like how diablo3 was left in the mud by TLII)

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    They sure like to use lighting effects as much as possible. Graphics are ok. I think they'll look pretty standard when playing. Lighting effects can only do so much.

Also, it looks like a lot of closed areas. I hate walls.

KOA was a single player game with mmo quests. that was a huge disappointment. I'm sure an actual KOA mmo won't improve much.