Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Memory problem

jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member

I think one of my memory sticks is bad because I was having blue screens at least once a day, then I took a stick out and haven't had any for a few days, but I'm not positive it's the memory or if it's my PSU not able to support two sticks with everything else.

I've had the PSU for a few years. It's an OCZ 600 watt.

My cpu/gpu is a llano 3850.

Only have 1 sata HD and DVD drive.

Noting else hooked up besides mouse and keyboard.

I would think the PSU would be able to handle all this even with a bit of aging.

If it is the memory which replacement stick should I get for this model.. gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,474Member Uncommon

Memory doesn't use up a lot of power like a GPU does. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,779Member Uncommon

With the specs you describe, you may or may not ever pull 100 W from the power supply.  Even a really awful "600 W" power supply that would explode if you pulled 400 W from it could likely handle that.  Not that I'd recommend trying it.

OCZ typically doesn't do really awful power supplies, though.  Exactly which power supply is it?

You could also test the memory alone without much load on the processor or graphics by running memtest86+.  If that returns errors, then you've verified that memory is your problem.

• jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member

I ran memtest and got an error before, but I ran it a couple more times and got no errors, so I'm not sure.

Again, which power supply is it?  OCZ 600 watt isn't a power supply.  You should be able to find out if it's StealthXStream, ModXStream, EliteXStream, ZT series, ZS series, ZX series, or whatever.  If nothing else, you can open up the case and read the label.

It's a stealthxstream 600xsx

• FalcomithFalcomith Hastings, FLPosts: 800Member
    Originally posted by Quizzical

You could also test the memory alone without much load on the processor or graphics by running memtest86+.  If that returns errors, then you've verified that memory is your problem.

Quizz, not to highjack the thread,I am just cuirious. Have you ever ran into the memtest86+ saying the memory passed, even after running it over night, but found out the memory was bad anyway.

Ran into the problem a few months back. About pulled out my hair trying to figure out the issue when memtest said it passed. Finally just forked out the money and bought some higher end ram. No problems with random blue screens since.

Originally posted by Falcomith
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Quizz, not to highjack the thread,I am just cuirious. Have you ever ran into the memtest86+ saying the memory passed, even after running it over night, but found out the memory was bad anyway.

Ran into the problem a few months back. About pulled out my hair trying to figure out the issue when memtest said it passed. Finally just forked out the money and bought some higher end ram. No problems with random blue screens since.

The reason I said to try memtest86+ is that it will stress the memory subsystem and nothing else.  That memtest86+ finds problems does not automatically mean that your system memory is at fault.  Problems in the memory controller or motherboard could also cause memory problems.  But I'd think those would be a lot more likely to cause problems along the lines of "computer won't run" rather than an occasional blue screen, as can be caused by a single memory cell being bad.

Some problems can be caused by a combination of things.  If you're taxing your power supply, that can cause its power output to degrade (voltage drop, higher ripple), which in turn causes other things to malfunction.  

Originally posted by jusomdude

It's a stealthxstream 600xsx

The power supply should be decent, provided that it's not defective.  For a low power system like yours, I wouldn't expect the power supply to cause problems.

Exactly what memory do you have, and exactly what settings are you running it at?  Also, are you overclocking anything?

I posted the memory model earlier in the  thread. I had to set it to run at the correct timings, but the blue screens were happening before I changed that too.

Not overclocking.

At this point I really think it's the stick, because I would have usually had a blue screen by now. I guess I'll wait a few more days to be sure.

Can I buy a single stick to run in dual channel with my current one or do I have to buy a new kit?

This is what I was looking at: Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL

And this is the model of my current memory: Gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
  • WaldoCornWaldoCorn Fort Worth, TXPosts: 227Member

Yes that should be the right one, the, 12800-CL9, being the speed and CAS latency. The timing and volatage are the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231313 

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

Originally posted by jusomdude
    Can I buy a single stick to run in dual channel with my current one or do I have to buy a new kit? This is what I was looking at: Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL And this is the model of my current memory: Gskill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

You don't need a new kit, but you do need something that can run at the same specs as your old model.  If the stock voltage, clock speed, and latency timings are the same, it should be fine.  Memory kits are sold because it's a convenient way to get multiple modules with the same specs, and probably saves on packaging and shipping as compared to buying several separate boxes.