Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 and Fishing...

SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Okay, it seems that Guild Wars 2 is missing Fishing.    This is kind of an important thing for a game that launches with a "Chef" crafting skill that allows you to cook things.  After all, I noticed that Rift is just adding in a fishing profession, WoW has had it for years.

There is water everywhere as most maps in the game have some body of water on it.   This would mean fishing would have multiple locations, even in WvWvW maps.

Another thing is that with the way that there is Water Combat in this game, that could lead to a whole other form of fishing called 'Spear Fishing'.  This would mean that fishing would have 2 weapon sets: Fishing Poles for above ground and Fishing Spears for in water.

Comments

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101

There is already fishing, the lakes and rivers are filled with crabs, lobsters and barracudas... you also go after them with tridents, harpoons and spear guns.

...they just have claws and sharp teeths.

• Well in the norn area you can catch fish with your hands. But you have to feed them to bear cubs.

The snow leopard cubs are also really cute.

• DrinkingbearDrinkingbear Member Posts: 60

I hope they do add it at some point. I plan on cookin' up a heap of good viddels and some fresh Asuran Walleye would go great with it. If we can get winery or brewey in, we're all set.)

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

In Tyria, fish hunt you.

You know, adding fishing could be a nice touch... it would also be funny if fishing could initiate certain random events, say for example you hook something you really wish you didn't hook... accidentally hook a Hylek and start a skirmish, hook a large, sleeping beast on the bottom of the lake and it goes on a rampage, starting with your face... they could really expand on it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MangaMaidenMangaMaiden Member Posts: 180

I actually really enjoyed fishing back in WoW days and more recently in Forsaken World :)

Would be a nice little addition, though you can always fish with your underwater weapon :D

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Eh, as long as they make it interesting. If they make it auto-fishing like many other games ( Forsaken World) then I'd say not, but if there's some fun into it then I'm good with that.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Volkon

In Tyria, fish hunt you.

You know, adding fishing could be a nice touch... it would also be funny if fishing could initiate certain random events, say for example you hook something you really wish you didn't hook... accidentally hook a Hylek and start a skirmish, hook a large, sleeping beast on the bottom of the lake and it goes on a rampage, starting with your face... they could really expand on it.

You know, I was sort of heading towards "meh, who needs it"... but that is actually a REALLY cool idea. Especially if there are tells(i.e. you can see a formation that looks like a giant closed eye under-water, so you go fishing hoping to trigger him).

Asura could also have dynamite fishing... ;) Less usable parts, but a whole lot of boom.

• I have never understood the obsession with fishing that seems to run through MMOs, although I do think Jeremy Wade is awesome, love that guy.

However it does seem to me to be a somewhat easy addition to GW2.  Make the fishing pole an environmental weapon similar to the diving goggles (ie. only has abiltiy in certain conditions).  Make it something other than auto bu having a skill interaction and an animation on the line/float.   The really cool thing  to do is make people choose their tackle based on the fish.

Have something like a skill to wiggle your line, a skill to cast, a skill to hook and maybe one other mechanic to make it interesting.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

In Tyria, fish hunt you.

This...OMG yes...this...I think I had a geekgasm at the thought of THIS!!

Also- Such things should happen rarely at their locations but since there are so many possible fishing spots there is a chance that a fishing event can be happening often enough somewhere in the world.  I would just hate if it happens too much...it needs to be rare and when it happens feel EPIC just like much of the game.  Man...if fishing did this....OMG...I think I need a cigarette and I don't even smoke.

Mors-Subita  I would rather be suprised or the tell-tale signs be very very subtle. 

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Since I hate fish meat, i'd say no. But I want variety, so I voted Yes.

But we can already fish. Fear the dreaded Spear Necromancer build!

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

In Tyria, fish hunt you.

Or if players were swimming where you were fishing they could get hooked if they swim into your fishing line and you could reel them in.....LOL

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• VamperoVampero Member UncommonPosts: 38

In Tyria, fish hunt you.

I would love to see fishing in GW 2 !

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

Voted yes! I'd like to see farming and other so-called "rpg" elements added to the game as well. I can imagine just how more immersed in the game I'd be with these activities available. :D

Reaslistically though, I wouldn't count on seeing any of these things added outside of an expansion pack. Which is why I bemoan the idea of adding new races and classes each expansion when development can go towards enriching the game. I have my fingers crossed.

• Originally posted by Volkon

That brings back memories of fishing in FFXI where you could occasionally fish up a mob that attacked you.  You had to make sure you were high enough level and geared well enough for them or you could easily wind up dead... which I did... often.  Stupid Kraken :(

Best fishing ever though ~.^

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It would depend. If I could make ingame money from selling fish or treasure caught on the auction house, sure.

For nothing monetary I could make from it, no thanks. I usually have to supply myself, my husband, and our son in items/money in mmo's. Wouldn't bother me though if it was ingame and others enjoyed doing it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

For me, it's not a priority if it's in at launch or never.  It would be a great addition to the game though if it's ever included.  They would have to make it fun and exciting too, and differentiate it from other MMO's that use it.  They would also have to add new recipes for cooking if they decide to let cooks craft recipes with it, etc.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

It is hard to make fishing fun in video games. Even if it were a mini-game people would eventually just hate fishing in the game. As long as the fishing is optional and there are alternative cooking recipes to achieve the same buffs I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I wouldn't mind a fishing mini game. Especially if you can get some unique minipets or items. Nothing overpowered, just different looking. Like a rusty helm that has seaweed hanging of it or something.

Anyway, fishing has my vote. I voted for it on the official forums too before they were locked and wiped.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Since there are so many great things in GW2, I just do not care about fishing. But hey, this could be something cool for future expansions.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Dear lord, I wish they'd add fishing. I don't care if you can't cook the damn fish, I just want to be able to relax and fish sometime. Also finding random cool items would be neat.

:( :( :( I hope they add it.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Oh yeah, I remember this one time when Bob hooked himself a real nasty Krait bugger, that thing dragged him under 'fore he had the sense to let go of the rod.  I had to jump in after and save his sorry hide, and ruined me best shirt in that dirty water!

I tanned his hide right good 'fer that, 'course, though I waited till after he stopped coughing up water...

• Somehow I feel that if I could figure out why this thread is so positive towards fishing and the one about fleshing out an actual system to implement it (that got locked, boo moderators!) was so neagtive that I could somehow figure out a secret of human nature.

I doubt that will hapen though.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Somehow I feel that if I could figure out why this thread is so positive towards fishing and the one about fleshing out an actual system to implement it (that got locked, boo moderators!) was so neagtive that I could somehow figure out a secret of human nature.

I doubt that will hapen though.

For me gestalt in games of yesterday, fishing was about leveling a skill, but mainly doing it with friends or random people and striking up a chat.

Back in the day (on a Pentium 4) in some games I just used to log on fish and just chat for hours making friends from all over the place. Every now and then there were mini games or a level raised and was able to catch something bigger to sell.

• HrethHreth Member Posts: 13

I find it surprising how many people seem to like fishing so much. I myself thought it was the most boring thing anyone could ever put in a game.

Honestly, I'd rather not have it in GW2, because naturally there would be cool items only available through fishing (like the minipets and diver's helm I saw people mention), and I'd be forced to either go fishing or not get the items.

I'd be okay with it though if you could get the same things from underwater combat. Or if all you could get was boring cooking ingredients.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Hreth
    I find it surprising how many people seem to like fishing so much. I myself thought it was the most boring thing anyone could ever put in a game.

Why do you think Runescape has still got so many players? The awesome fishing adventures, of course!