Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Doom & Gloom for Diablo 3?

Comments

• lukeborgmanlukeborgman Member UncommonPosts: 36

Still can't install due to inability to connect to the patch server.  I've tried every proposed solution on the forums (I'm not the only one this bug has bitten) and have had a ticket still open with Blizzard since a couple days before launch, but still not installed.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    [mod edit]

I'm not buying D3 because I am not OK with having to connect to a server in order to enjoy single player (I don't play MP in Diablo games) nor do I agree with RMT action house.

[mod edit] It's about being an adult and not being complacent with a shady product just because you want to play. LOL and exactly what does going outside have to do with anything?

Besides, I played the game in closed beta and it's not worth $60 for me, as I would only play the single player campaign and it's pretty short and the game doesn't even have PvP!

• xxpigxxxxpigxx Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I have not bought it because I refuse to buy a game that forces me to connect to a server to play SP.

Your argument of smartphones is null. I can turn off my data signal and still use the phone, and many useful apps.

Your argument of playing MMO's (and TF2) is null. Those are multiplayer games, and as such, must be connected to a server. If I wanted to play a game having to connect to a server, I would play a multiplayer game

Your argument of posting here is null. I can disconnect my internet and still read in offline mode, and do a bevy of other things, including playing other SP games that do not require a connection (like . . . I dunno . . . D2).

One day, the servers will be brought down for good, making your SP game 100% worthless. That same day, I can double-click the D2 icon and play on with no worries.

There is absolutely no reason to force a SP game to be connected to the internet to even play it. None whatsoever.

I have my standards and dignity, and this DRM goes against both. You don't like my PoV? I don't give a damn. I will sit here playing the games I choose, when I choose, whether I am connected or not.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by heartless

I'm not buying D3 because I am not OK with having to connect to a server in order to enjoy single player (I don't play MP in Diablo games) nor do I agree with RMT action house.

It's not about being scared. It's about being an adult and not being complacent with a shady product just because you want to play. LOL and exactly what does going outside have to do with anything?

Besides, I played the game in closed beta and it's not worth $60 for me, as I would only play the single player campaign and it's pretty short and the game doesn't even have PvP!

I dislike the DRM method as much as the next guy, but come on, what's shady about it? There's nothing about someone buying this game that is wrong or supporting shady practices, and there's nothing at all wrong with those who it doesn't bother that Blizzard used this form of DRM. There's nothing more adult like about your stance either, even bringing that word up is ridiculous.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

It's not about being scared. It's about being an adult and not being complacent with a shady product just because you want to play. LOL and exactly what does going outside have to do with anything?

I dislike the DRM method as much as the next guy, but come on, what's shady about it? There's nothing about someone buying this game that is wrong or supporting shady practices, and there's nothing at all wrong with those who it doesn't bother that Blizzard used this form of DRM. There's nothing more adult like about your stance either, even bringing that word up is ridiculous.

I'm not spending money on a product because I do not agree with Blizzard's decisions. Maybe "adult" is the wrong word to use. Would "rational" be better?

As far as that whole DRM thing, people had a huge issue with Ubisoft games having always online DRM. It was such a big deal that Ubisoft basically patched it out for most of their games. But Blizzard does it and it's OK.

Shady practices because you're buying a game that you can only play on their terms, even single player. I can't take D3 on a plane with me, when I travel. Nor can I play it when my internet goes down. This is not an MMO we're talking about, which are built around other players providing content. This is a single player game that I cannot access on my own terms. So yes, shady practice like an auction house where you can buy gear with real money and Blizzard takes their cut. Seriously?

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

I remember doing D2 Baal runs with my 99 sorc until I passed out at my desk. This game... I couldn't even finish the goddamn demo. Zzzzzz.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

"take MMO conventions into the hack-and-slash genre, it is trying to keep itself fresh by innovating and appealing to today's generation of gamers."

What mmo innovations does diablo 3 have except for the fact you can only play with a handfull of people on the same map/world?

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195

"it is trying to keep itself fresh by innovating and appealing to today's generation of gamers."

How, specifically, does D3 do this?  What is "innovating" in D3?

Wherever you go, there you are.

Originally posted by xxpigxx
    I have not bought it because I refuse to buy a game that forces me to connect to a server to play SP.

Your argument of smartphones is null. I can turn off my data signal and still use the phone, and many useful apps.

Your argument of playing MMO's (and TF2) is null. Those are multiplayer games, and as such, must be connected to a server. If I wanted to play a game having to connect to a server, I would play a multiplayer game

Your argument of posting here is null. I can disconnect my internet and still read in offline mode, and do a bevy of other things, including playing other SP games that do not require a connection (like . . . I dunno . . . D2).

One day, the servers will be brought down for good, making your SP game 100% worthless. That same day, I can double-click the D2 icon and play on with no worries.

There is absolutely no reason to force a SP game to be connected to the internet to even play it. None whatsoever.

I have my standards and dignity, and this DRM goes against both. You don't like my PoV? I don't give a damn. I will sit here playing the games I choose, when I choose, whether I am connected or not.

Whoa.------------------^

That would be what's called a "bullseye".

Originally posted by xxpigxx

Whoa.------------------^

That would be what's called a "bullseye".

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm not spending money on a product because I do not agree with Blizzard's decisions. Maybe "adult" is the wrong word to use. Would "rational" be better?

As far as that whole DRM thing, people had a huge issue with Ubisoft games having always online DRM. It was such a big deal that Ubisoft basically patched it out for most of their games. But Blizzard does it and it's OK.

Shady practices because you're buying a game that you can only play on their terms, even single player. I can't take D3 on a plane with me, when I travel. Nor can I play it when my internet goes down. This is not an MMO we're talking about, which are built around other players providing content. This is a single player game that I cannot access on my own terms. So yes, shady practice like an auction house where you can buy gear with real money and Blizzard takes their cut. Seriously?

I agree with most of this, especially the treatment Ubi received and Blizzard hasn't. I just think people need to realize a lot of this is going to depend on what you play D3 for. Those who want true single player capability will hate what they've done, those who only play for co-op won't really care.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    Originally posted by botrytis

The DRM is also to prevent the rampant hacking that happened in D1 and D2. In D1, I remember friends who all had one piece of armor - the Godly Plate of the Whale. It was all hacked. This way that won't happen.

As far as the auction house, I won't use it so it doesn't bother me one iota.

The game plays well and doesn't need a huge amount of horsepower to play well.

It will be nice to waste some time, playing it.

They hacked WoW and SC2, what make you think they can't hack D3 too?

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Pyuk

Actually there's one less copy  - I got a refund on mine because of the absurd connection issues. Too bad D3 doesn't work as well as their CS - got my refund without any hassle.

or you could have been less of a baby, waited 1 day and played flawlessly like the rest of us. glad you got your refund, i would have probably vote-kicked you from my games for crying too much.

The problem with modern gaming is that people are too complacent. Developers basically get away with questionable products and practices because people are too desperate to get their "crack." This shouldn't happen.

Game development is a business and most of these companies do it in order to make money. Companies always try to push the consumer a little, to see what they can and can't get away with and we have to let them know what is OK and what is not. We cannot be dismissive of valid customer complaints because that shows these companies that people will put up with this nonsense and these companies will continue to push.

Right now, most of you settled for an always online single player and the RMT AH. Blizzard, and other publishers/developers too, see that people are complacent so Blizzard will push a bit more next time and maybe when Diablo IV comes out, you'll be paying a monthly fee in order to play single player. And then someone will tell you that you could have been less of a baby and just payed...

This x1000- there are plenty of gamers out there that want to whinge and moan about what they dislike about a certain game, developer, publisher, etc. but the great majority have no intention of showing their dissatisfaction by not purchasing/supporting that which they complain about. The status quo will never change when we beg and cheer for what little scraps of quality we get in an otherwise crap game. But as I've said before you can't teach people to have higher standards.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I'm enjoying the game, and I think using the in-game gold auction house is a nice change.  instead of sitting around in a lobby hoping someone posts an item that I'd really like to trade for, I can search an auction house and find a specific item tailored to my class without being subjected to hundreds of spammed messages advertising RMT websites, all while not being able to play my game.

I have no intentions of using the RMT auction house, but for those that do, I don't see it as being much different than the sites out there that were selling Diablo 2 items online, and there will probably be ways that people connect and continue to make private transactions for Diablo 3 to avoid being stiffed by Blizzard.

You CAN trade between characters, so all it would need to entail would be exchanging gamer tags and joining a game together.

Sure, it's not exactly the "next gen" Diablo I wanted, but I'm finding enough about it to enjoy it, and that's all that's important to me, not whether or not someone else disagrees with what I enjoy.

Besides, there's Lineage Eternal to look forward to. ;)

• HakotenHakoten Member UncommonPosts: 23

I'd like to be able to play without 300 ping, when I get 60-80 in every other game.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Guys, this is no longer a single player game. That's just the way it is. The meultiplayer aspects of this game are always enabled.

People can join your game even if you want to play single player. The game has an economy, a real world economy soon for that matter.

This is no longer an offline single player game. It is an online multiplayer game that can be played solo.

The game is structured like an mmo. Characters, mob spawns, item drop tables, and many other things are hosted online. This goes far beyond DRM. This is a game that is designed with online multiplayer gameplay in mind.

No other game designs a client/server architecture like this solely for drm. It is the way the game is designed from the ground up to be played online.

Now, you are entitled to your opinion. If you don't like that design decision don't buy it. That is your only recourse.

If you are against online games, don't play them. Makes me wonder why you are on this site though. Mmorpg.com......

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

I am personally loving the game. Not being able to connect on occasion and bits of lag here and there kinda suck, but it's not a big deal, imo.

Now if I were playing Hardcore, the lag would be a bit more of a problem. But luckily for me, I have no desire to do so.

Originally posted by pierth
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    Originally posted by Pyuk

Actually there's one less copy  - I got a refund on mine because of the absurd connection issues. Too bad D3 doesn't work as well as their CS - got my refund without any hassle.

or you could have been less of a baby, waited 1 day and played flawlessly like the rest of us. glad you got your refund, i would have probably vote-kicked you from my games for crying too much.

The problem with modern gaming is that people are too complacent. Developers basically get away with questionable products and practices because people are too desperate to get their "crack." This shouldn't happen.

Game development is a business and most of these companies do it in order to make money. Companies always try to push the consumer a little, to see what they can and can't get away with and we have to let them know what is OK and what is not. We cannot be dismissive of valid customer complaints because that shows these companies that people will put up with this nonsense and these companies will continue to push.

Right now, most of you settled for an always online single player and the RMT AH. Blizzard, and other publishers/developers too, see that people are complacent so Blizzard will push a bit more next time and maybe when Diablo IV comes out, you'll be paying a monthly fee in order to play single player. And then someone will tell you that you could have been less of a baby and just payed...

This x1000- there are plenty of gamers out there that want to whinge and moan about what they dislike about a certain game, developer, publisher, etc. but the great majority have no intention of showing their dissatisfaction by not purchasing/supporting that which they complain about. The status quo will never change when we beg and cheer for what little scraps of quality we get in an otherwise crap game. But as I've said before you can't teach people to have higher standards.

People need to realize that they (the developers and publishers) exist because of us. If we stop buying their products, they will go out of business. They know this, though, that is why any major release gets a shit ton of hype. Sadly, most people fall for the hype and look past the negatives.

I mean, it simply boggles my mind. Ubisoft creates an always online DRM and it's the worst thing ever. People are boycoting, creating online petitions, contacting the BBB, etc. Blizzard releases Diablo 3 with the same exact thing and all of a sudden it's OK and anyone who complains about it is acting like a child? WTF is wrong with people?

Originally posted by Gajari

I am personally loving the game. Not being able to connect on occasion and bits of lag here and there kinda suck, but it's not a big deal, imo.

Now if I were playing Hardcore, the lag would be a bit more of a problem. But luckily for me, I have no desire to do so.

It's not a big deal to not be able to play the game you paid for anytime you want? What?! How does lag even make sense in a single player game?

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by dubyahite
    Guys, this is no longer a single player game. That's just the way it is. The meultiplayer aspects of this game are always enabled.

People can join your game even if you want to play single player. The game has an economy, a real world economy soon for that matter.

This is no longer an offline single player game. It is an online multiplayer game that can be played solo.

The game is structured like an mmo. Characters, mob spawns, item drop tables, and many other things are hosted online. This goes far beyond DRM. This is a game that is designed with online multiplayer gameplay in mind.

No other game designs a client/server architecture like this solely for drm. It is the way the game is designed from the ground up to be played online.

Now, you are entitled to your opinion. If you don't like that design decision don't buy it. That is your only recourse.

If you are against online games, don't play them. Makes me wonder why you are on this site though. Mmorpg.com......

No they can't. Now if you choose to make your game public then, yes, they can join.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by jpnole
    Originally posted by dubyahite

No they can't. Now if you choose to make your game public then, yes, they can join.

Yeah, it would be kind of stupid if anyone could join at any time without permission. I personally wanted to go through the story solo first so no one bugged me, and so I did just that. :D

But after the story is known (if you care at all) and getting into the higher difficulties, it's a lot of fun joining public games or opening your games up for people to join.

Personally, the way the online multiplayer works is one of the biggest draws for me.

• Mills007Mills007 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Remember when you used to get excited over a Blizzard produced-game? Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Diablo, Diablo 2, Starcraft, Vanilla WoW.

Now, all I see is Activision getting their grubby little paws all over games and mucking them up, much like EA did to Bioware with SWTOR and Sony did with... well, everything, but we'll start with Verant and EQ.

Between the direction the latest WoW expansions have taken and are taking, Starcraft 2 being released with only 1/3 of the playable races's content in place (come on, that's like making an Aliens vs Predator game and only allowing you to play Colonial Marines in the storyline), now D3 (12 years for roughly 12 hours of content... sure, you can play it again on a harder mode, but come on) and the issues they're having.

Sad to see Blizzard fall so far, though I guess it's the guys at the top who have the farthest to drop.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I'll just throw this in for the people in ivory towers: I just upgraded my internet from a 5gb a month plan to a 27gb plan. Bandwidth is a precious commodity for me, and to waste it on a single-player game borders on insane.

How stupid do you think I am?

You're from Nevada, I'm from Delaware.  Odds are the exact same providers operate in your state as operate in mine.  We can even ignore the fact that in our country you don't pay for what you use, only the speed.

Try another one.  It cost you NOTHING to play D3 online.  NOTHING.  The fact you would even quote me and then make the responce you did is beyond insulting. 

Try as much as you like, common sense can't be argued against. 

LOL, you're tower sure is shiny. Those fancy wires they use to get you that super-cool unlimited download internet? Yeah, they haven't run them in rural Missouri yet. Maybe in a few years. But for now, my choices are cell-modem, satellite and dial-up (except I don't have a landline either, no point).

I don't think you're stupid, just very uninformed on events outside your apartment.

My sister lives in a rural area with the exact same conditions, her only option is dial-up, satelite, or dsl because like you, they haven't had the lines run for real broadband yet, but her internet is not limitted to pay by use.

I have a 50gb plan, and it has nothing to do with the amount of data I'm allowed access to.

Just because you wrote on the internet, doesn't mean I'm inclined to automatically believe a word you say.

You're still using the interent, to post on an internet forum, dedicated to onine games.  If this was the game informer forums, or PC magazine, or even Blizzards, I'd understand, but it's not.  It's a forum dedicated to online gaming.

Let me say it again.  Complaining about his HERE, HERE, is rediculous.  The venue you chose to voice the complaint, not the complaint itself.  Think about that for a second.  Why should anyone here, take that complaint serious let alone sympathise with it?  It makes NO SENSE given the LOCATION you chose to voice that complaint.  Get it?

I don't expect you to belive me. But the FACT is I pay 70$ per month to be able to download up to 27gb at a blazing speed of up to 3Mbs (very rare to hit that though).

I guess you don't understand that not everyone lives in a town. I live on a farm. I could see the entirety of your state in the time it would take me to drive to the closest metro area.

BTW, I'm at work, on break. I rarely visit this forum at home because, like I said, bandwidth is a precious commoditiy for me.

Edit: Perhaps you should ask your parents to call your internet provider and ask them what having a 50gb plan means.

Are you serious?  Stop talking like you're entitled to everything...  You live on a farm yet you work elsewhere?    That's your problem and your mistake.  It's obvious you live with relatives (most likely parents) if you live on a farm, yet don't work on the farm...  The technological world is not catered to rural areas, this is common sense.  If you want the same commodities as people living in urban areas, then MOVE.  Stop complaining about things you can't change.  Especially on a gaming forum like this.  I mean what did you expect?  Seriously, what did you expect posting your issues that 1.  No on cares about, and 2. are your OWN fault...  Really?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The series ended with Diablo 2. I finished D3 on normal and I was quite diasppointed with it. The game lags alot, not all servers are stable yet, the story is too predictable and cliche, there are not a many viable builds as they said there would be, doesn't seem like magic find helps much and you are contasntly running back and forth t town to empty out the small inventory you have. Diablo 3 needed  better visionaries.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Originally posted by Mephster

The series ended with Diablo 2. I finished D3 on normal and I was quite diasppointed with it. The game lags alot, not all servers are stable yet, the story is too predictable and cliche, there are not a many viable builds as they said there would be, doesn't seem like magic find helps much and you are contasntly running back and forth t town to empty out the small inventory you have. Diablo 3 needed  better visionaries.

The people who were responsible for the original Diablo left Blizzard a long time ago. Some went on to make GW1 and GW2. Some made Torchlight 1 and 2. Diablo 3 ia basically created by a bunch of Full Sail graduates. I sincerely doubt that there is anyone on the Diablo 3 team who was a serious decision maker on the Diablo 1 and 2 teams.