Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishing... fleshed out.

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

The thread about whether or not we'd want fishing got me to thinking on the subject, and I made a post over on guru here. But, to save you all a trip, here it is...

Right now, fishing isn't in the game, so this is purely hypothetical. However, imagine if they were to introduce it, what they could to with it.

* Craftable Fishing poles, various levels of poles perhaps, or even various levels of hooks jewelers could make

* Obviously more cooking options.

* Random dynamic events. Imagine if you accidentally hooked a Hylek leader and started a local skirmish, or hooked a long sleeping creature on the bottom of the lake that went into a rampage.

* Fishing competitions would be possible I imagine...

I hope they'll consider it... in the GW2 universe they could make fishing a whole lot more than buy a pole and cast a line.

----
Your skill bar changes with the pole equipped.

1. Cast. Distance of the cast is dependant on how long you hold the key down and it's straight line from where you're facing.
2. Jiggle. You give your bait a little wiggle.
3. Set hook. When you get a visual indicator that something is nibbling your bait you use three to set the hook which leads to:
4. Land/Reel in. Bring the fish in. Landing the fish could be made more complicated with things like drag, etc, but maybe not just yet.
5. Bait hook. Opens your tackle box (new bag type) and allows you to select baits as well as sinkers or bobbers. Depending on bait and depth different fish could become available. The Tackle box would be a bag with a certain number of slots in it that solely holds fishing equipment. Different size tackle boxes could be crafted.

Other event idea(s):

An NPC needs help clearing a dock or favorite spot of some nasties so he can fish. As a reward, you can buy certain baits, maybe a recipe, plus get advice on how to catch a certain type of fish for karma.         

This would not be your Grandaddy's fishin'.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

GW2 is not a sandbox game.... Doubt you will see fishing in it....

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by monoth

Since when was fishing a sandbox only activity?

Themepark MMOs can and do have fishing too!

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by monoth

All that time spent fishing in WoW really has me wondering what the heck you're talking about.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

I will post here instead of GW2guru (will never go back to that shitty moderated/flame site ever again).

Fishing if seen in this game will probably have hubs being how its' dynamic is made.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

There is fishing in the game already. In the norn lowbie zone, near the bear shrine, you go and catch fish to feed to the baby bears wandering about.  I came out of the river with some pretty huge fish,I might add.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I really find it strange how Fishing in reality is considered one of the most boring activities one can set out to do with their day.

And that most people in MMORPGs definitely do not do it in reality...

But yet, ask for it in these games? 

• bakamonkbakamonk Member Posts: 1

What are you talking about? Fishing is already in the game bro... you get a spear or a spear gun you jump in the water and you poke those fishies and eat em good. This was how it was done in the old ages, so why would they add a modern pole and line only to have to wait in a boat or dock just to wait for something to bite? I know im not you, but anet has given us  underwater weapons and cities and that is so much enticing than the modern wait for a fish to bite the bate and i tugg on it approach. Just my idea of the subject. :)...maybe as a minigame?

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I really find it strange how Fishing in reality is considered one of the most boring activities one can set out to do with their day.

I don't get it either. There are much better activities, other than fishing, that can be added to the game. Yet all the time, people on this site want fishing to be added to every MMORPG. Is there really that big of a demographic of MMORPG fishers?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I would love to see it as long as it isn't set up like WoWs. I hated staring at the bobber. A tackle box, casting, and reeling system need to be put in. It needs a sense of skill instead of staring and hitting a mouse key.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Master10K

I don't get it either. There are much better activities, other than fishing, that can be added to the game. Yet all the time, people on this site want fishing to be added to every MMORPG. Is there really that big of a demographic of MMORPG fishers?

What's there to get? Some people like me would love a fishing mini game and some wouldn't..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ResiakrawResiakraw Member Posts: 73

Seems that way sometimes. Not sure what it is about fishing, but Ive been in a few games wher epeople ar elike "OMG fishing yay!" and will spend days just doing nothing but fishing instead of leveling up and stuff. Granted fishing in some games is mor einteresting than others, but it still gets pretty lame pretty fast. Would be time better spent coming up with something new to do instead of  just fishing which so many have already done.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

What's there to get? Some people like me would love a fishing mini game and some wouldn't..

Do you like fishing in reality?

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Volkon

The thread about whether or not we'd want fishing got me to thinking on the subject, and I made a post over on guru here. But, to save you all a trip, here it is...

Right now, fishing isn't in the game, so this is purely hypothetical. However, imagine if they were to introduce it, what they could to with it.

* Craftable Fishing poles, various levels of poles perhaps, or even various levels of hooks jewelers could make

* Obviously more cooking options.

* Random dynamic events. Imagine if you accidentally hooked a Hylek leader and started a local skirmish, or hooked a long sleeping creature on the bottom of the lake that went into a rampage.

* Fishing competitions would be possible I imagine...

I hope they'll consider it... in the GW2 universe they could make fishing a whole lot more than buy a pole and cast a line.

----
    Your skill bar changes with the pole equipped.

1. Cast. Distance of the cast is dependant on how long you hold the key down and it's straight line from where you're facing.
    2. Jiggle. You give your bait a little wiggle.
    3. Set hook. When you get a visual indicator that something is nibbling your bait you use three to set the hook which leads to:
    4. Land/Reel in. Bring the fish in. Landing the fish could be made more complicated with things like drag, etc, but maybe not just yet.
    5. Bait hook. Opens your tackle box (new bag type) and allows you to select baits as well as sinkers or bobbers. Depending on bait and depth different fish could become available. The Tackle box would be a bag with a certain number of slots in it that solely holds fishing equipment. Different size tackle boxes could be crafted.

Other event idea(s):

An NPC needs help clearing a dock or favorite spot of some nasties so he can fish. As a reward, you can buy certain baits, maybe a recipe, plus get advice on how to catch a certain type of fish for karma.         

This would not be your Grandaddy's fishin'.

THE ELDER DRAGONS ARE ATTACKING QUICK FIND SOME FISH!!!  Somehow considering you are supposed to be a hero of lore fishing seems unimportant

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'd rather have a good housing system where I can put trophies and other things in it. I still have my UO account because of my keep with everything in it, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Originally posted by Tayah

I'd rather have a good housing system where I can put trophies and other things in it. I still have my UO account because of my keep with everything in it, lol.

Now all you have to figure out is to how to move your house and all of its stuff to GW2  GL!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by drel
    Originally posted by Tayah

Now all you have to figure out is to how to move your house and all of its stuff to GW2  GL!

I might just sell it and put up all my belongings and close the account down if GW2 comes up with a nice housing system. I know they said they're going to have housing when they bring guild halls, so I'm hopeful.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Fishing might be boring if you don't have a boat.  Get a boat or GTFO!  Also ocean fishing is even more exciting than lake fishing.  Fishing is about driving a boat, drinking beer,  and collecting deliciousness of the swimming kind.  They need to implement real fishing into MMORPG's.  Not this sit on the shore crap.  Of course that is boring. 

A) Require a fancy engine power or sail boat.  No oars please.

B) Successful fishing should require a delicate balance of finesse and beer drinking.  A fisherman should lose fish if they can't finesse it in, and fall out of the boat if they get too drunk.  (Sober fishermen shouldn't be able to fish for very long without getting bored)

C) Fish finder.  Gotta track the fish.

D) Sharks

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

do you like killing animals in reality? Or killing people? Does someone who likes fifa games have to like real soccer? (no, since im that person). A fishing mini game is most of the time not even close to real life fishing, in fact all gamefeatures resemble some sort of reality yet are not even close in resembling the real deal. Games are not simulators and vice versa.

Fishing in a game brings me immersion, and if its done in a fun way with some depth to it, it can be a nice change of phase while playing. Diversity is important in games, and this also goes fro diversity of gameplay features, not just diveristy in the same gameplay category. Next to diversity in the killing of mobs I also want to do other things than just combat. sometimes you want to do things that are more relaxing etc.

Why are people so much against diversity in gameplay? How in the world can people be exited for CoD 5, 6 and 7, while they offer exactly the same gameplay? HOW?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Considering Cooking is one of the available professions, I see no reason why Fishing shouldn't make it into the game one day. GW2's underwater world is one of, if not, the most fleshed out of any MMO, so something like underwater cuisine makes perfect sense. Not sure why anyone would be against that, except they slapped their head on some stupid and started assuming suggestions for additional features = criticism.

Could even have a place in the personal instance where you can mount a particularly amazing fish you caught, have some randomization and records for the weight/length of the fish. Maybe even give people the opportunity to fish up something huge that'll eat their faces, a la Hunter x Hunter. Sounds like a fun feature to me.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by impiro

do you like killing animals in reality?

Only delicious ones.

Why are people so much against diversity in gameplay? How in the world can people be exited for CoD 5, 6 and 7, while they offer exactly the same gameplay? HOW?

No one knows!   Why do people like killing mobs for days on end just to reach some sort of level cap and no nothing?  It's insane!

Originally posted by graggok

THE ELDER DRAGONS ARE ATTACKING QUICK FIND SOME FISH!!!  Somehow considering you are supposed to be a hero of lore fishing seems unimportant

Heroes do not need to eat or sleep either, cause thats not very heroic. Immersion is not heroic, so why have it?

Unrelated, I never understood how people can ever feel like a hero in a videogame. Cause everything is pretty much spelled out and determined beforehand. So you were made a hero, never really became one. Also, everyone is a hero, so relatively nobody is a hero, and the meaning of hero is actually based on relative value, so i dont even.......

Heroes do not need to eat or sleep either, cause thats not very heroic. Immersion is not heroic, so why have it?

Unrelated, I never understood how people can ever feel like a hero in a videogame. Cause everything is pretty much spelled out and determined beforehand. So you were made a hero, never really became one. Also, everyone is a hero, so relatively nobody is a hero, and the meaning of hero is actually based on relative value, so i dont even.......

You can do heroic things in games like EVE, where what you do matters and leaves a lasting impression on the game world.  Nobody remembers some fool that mines all day but when someone leads their corp to victory against a powerful opponent, that person becomes a hero.  WoW clones don't have heroes though.  They have chumps like like to kill boring mobs all day. 

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

do you like killing animals in reality?

Only delicious ones.

No one knows!   Why do people like killing mobs for days on end just to reach some sort of level cap and no nothing?  It's insane!

Actually that is not insane at all. What I wonder about is why people do the same thing over and over and are against anything that differs from that. Working towards a level cap on itself, no matter how repetitive the conent to get there, is still a goal that one wants to achieve. I have nothing against such a thing and its totally different from my example. Peopel like the goal, not the gameplay. Even if they do like the gameplay, how is it that they like the same gameplay over and over, without any form of diversity. I like shooters and I always will, but I would not be able to only play shooters, I need a break sometimes.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

What if they made fishing in an MMO with a more realistic time-sink to real life? I'd like to see how many people would like fishing.

If I recall fishing in WoW...you get fish very often, and each line is only in the water for like 15 seconds or something...fishing in real life takes A LOT more patience. I'm sure people wouldn't like fishing as much if they had to sit there for 4 hours to catch a fish.

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

You can do heroic things in games like EVE, where what you do matters and leaves a lasting impression on the game world.  Nobody remembers some fool that mines all day but when someone leads their corp to victory against a powerful opponent, that person becomes a hero.  WoW clones don't have heroes though.  They have chumps like like to kill boring mobs all day. 

I was indeed speaking of games like WoW and sp games. Sandbox games with substantial features like EvE do have real heroes. However, i dont really care about being a hero at all. It is really immersion breaking for me when I'm constantly the hero, together with every other player. RPG's are about creating your own stories, not passively following stories.

This discussion has been closed.