Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First Official Video of Project Copernicus (the kingdoms of amalur MMO)

Comments

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by Yuui

Originally posted by Charlizzard
    I feel like I've seen this all before.

Then please be so kind and show me there. I and I bet everyone else would really love to play a game with this amount of thought put into the graphical design of the world and this exact style of the world.

Sorry but can't think of even a single mmo that has this kind of art style or the overall feel the whole package gives off so far.

WoW and Perfect World are the two with similar art styles that pop right into my mind within seconds. I'm thinking you need to take those rose colored glasses off for a minute.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by eyeswideopen
    Originally posted by Yuui   Originally posted by Charlizzard I feel like I've seen this all before.
      Then please be so kind and show me there. I and I bet everyone else would really love to play a game with this amount of thought put into the graphical design of the world and this exact style of the world. Sorry but can't think of even a single mmo that has this kind of art style or the overall feel the whole package gives off so far.
    WoW and Perfect World are the two with similar art styles that pop right into my mind within seconds. I'm thinking you need to take those rose colored glasses off for a minute.

I am sorry but this looks nothing like those games.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Charlizzard I feel like I've seen this all before.
      Then please be so kind and show me there. I and I bet everyone else would really love to play a game with this amount of thought put into the graphical design of the world and this exact style of the world. Sorry but can't think of even a single mmo that has this kind of art style or the overall feel the whole package gives off so far.

Well, then it looks like KoA.

Which looks like WoW.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by greyed-out

Originally posted by greyed-out
    Absolutely stunning.  But will they survive to see it released.

ITs supposedly releasing next june and company did manage to pay its current loan paycheck. Reckoning II(or however it will be called) is also supposedly still in development.

So despite that financial struggle, they might just pull through. Of course they will need to search for some private investors(read: not states but companies).

I know, but they missed payroll.  Employees won't work for free.  And the news today is the State, thankfully, isn't giving them any more cash.  Seems like they put out this video so they can attract some private investors and offset all the negative attention they've got recently.

It sounds like Vanguard all over again...If the game sees the day of light, it will msot likely be very buggy and incomplete....I really doubt, considering their current situation, that they would have enough time to make this a legit game.

Originally posted by Yuui   Originally posted by eyeswideopen Originally posted by Yuui   Originally posted by Charlizzard I feel like I've seen this all before.
    Well, then it looks like KoA.

Which looks like WoW.

WHile it looks reminiscent of Reckoning, the art style seems to be completely different.

Reckoning looked nothing like WoW.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

In all honesty, and I'm not saying this to be a jerk, I was not impressed at all by that video.  It didn't turn me off but it didn't excite me either.  Why?  Probably just because I'm too old to get excited by some generic shots of a fantasy world while soaring orchestra music plays in the background and it looks nice enough but doesn't actually tell me a damn thing about the game.

I mean, it could look better than any game ever made and that still wouldn't tell me if I would enjoy the game. 

Seriously, I don't think I can take leveling up another character just for the sake of leveling up.  I'm just about done with PvE in these games untill someone can make me feel like I'm having an adventure.  I could offer suggestions on how to do that but nobody would hear me so it's pointless.  Anyway, it's the devs job to make me feel that way; it's not my job to tell them how to do it.

So, again, that video didn't impress me because it didn't tell me what I would actually be doing if I logged into their game with a character.  I ain't doing the quest grind again I can tell you that.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Reckoning looked nothing like WoW.

You can't be serious.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

@neantherthal

the thing is, a scenery video like this one is just one step above a bullshit CG video that has nothing to do with the game. There really is nothing there.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Impressive. Need more info, my present perception is another WoW clone.

Against popular belief and going against a popular 'phrase' there has never been a 'WoW Clone'.

That depends on what a person means by the term. Most of us who use it know what we mean by it. Many others do too. Yet some of you insist that we are wrong in how we mean a term that players like us coined. And don't say I don't know myself, I was there, amongst them, back in the day as it were.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by bloodaxes
    Originally posted by Yuui Reckoning looked nothing like WoW.
    You can't be serious.

And I still can't see any similarities.

ARe the KOA graphics stylized? sure.

Similar to WOW? not really.

Thats as outlandish as some people claiming that Torchlight franchise looks like wow.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

big shiny white stoned city with banners flying around? Stormwind?

dark greenish environment with an underground vibe? Undercity?

lots of trees and houses on or around trees? kelethin? Darnassus?

nah, nothing like we have ever seen before.... /sarcasm

Originally posted by prizm1234

By those kinds of descriptions lord of the rings, elder scrolls, torchlight oh and...oh I don't know, Real World medieval europe and africa also are copies of WOW :)

Jokes aside, those areas look nothing like the stuff in the video, not even ounce of similarity.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

By those kinds of descriptions lord of the rings, elder scrolls, torchlight oh and...oh I don't know, Real World medieval europe and africa also are copies of WOW :)

Jokes aside, those areas look nothing like the stuff in the video, not even ounce of similarity.

Yeah, really you can't tell much by the art. Not much at all about game play. But it does look like they put a lot of effort in that world building that was can see. It's not my ideal art, but it still looks impressive to me.

Once upon a time....

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

I hope this gets released. I want to play this MMO.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but dont try to convince me that i am not entitled to mine

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

It must be a new fad for these dev studios to put out mmo's just to ruin their corporate identity, its really funny to me.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I just hope the combat is better than kingdoms of amalur reckoning cause it was quite too click fest instead of thoughtful fights.

And to be honest some of the trailer towns/areas reminded me more of warhammer than wow but people should know wow was a copy of warhammer so they are ought to look similar.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

i dont know what vid everyone else that was "impressed" saw but the one i saw made me sick. This is what we have been waiting for? "next gen" game with "old world" graphics? the textures were 2ed rate at best. on par with wizard 101. NOT impressed one bit so far. was expecting something way better then this.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

The architecture is fabulous.  I wish they hadn't decided to go with the typical "High Fantasy" super saturated color scheme.  Some of the close up shots revealed textures that definitely reminded me of Blizzard's style.  The lore for the game so far seem rather gritty, yet the graphical theme is anything but gritty.

Yep, same as Amular. Makes me wonder if McFarlan is cashing checks for doing nothing, because I see nothing of his style anywhere in either game.

^ This +1 ^ From the flyover vid i see absolutly nothing of McFarlans style anywhere.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

It looks like a mix of Fable and WoW. Not really impressed but I liked the music.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I'm a born and raised Yankee fan, but I'm also a curt schilling fan. I love that he took the chance to follow his dreams even if they don't resemble my own. I thought the world looked good enough, but I get the feeling too that the gameplay will not be what I'm looking for. Regardless of whether or not its a game for me, I will buy it to support 38 studios even if I never download it.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• greyed-outgreyed-out Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by kantseeme
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

The architecture is fabulous.  I wish they hadn't decided to go with the typical "High Fantasy" super saturated color scheme.  Some of the close up shots revealed textures that definitely reminded me of Blizzard's style.  The lore for the game so far seem rather gritty, yet the graphical theme is anything but gritty.

Yep, same as Amular. Makes me wonder if McFarlan is cashing checks for doing nothing, because I see nothing of his style anywhere in either game.

^ This +1 ^ From the flyover vid i see absolutly nothing of McFarlans style anywhere.

It has a painterly almost cell-shaded comic book look to it.  Pretty McFarlane to me.  Not to mention the entire world looks lovingly hand-crafted with that 'composer's eye' attention to detail to it.  And I'm sure, just like Reckoning, his influence will clearly extend to the animation.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kantseeme

McFarlane interview

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40156/Todd_McFarlane_brings_a_comic_artists_eye_to_Kingdoms_of_Amalur_Reckoning.php

The look of Kingdoms of Amalur is pretty different from the type of work you've done with, say, Spawn. How did the game's aesthetics evolve?

TM: We knew we were going to do this big, immersive world, so we wanted to create as much variety as possible. If it was all going to look the same, it wouldn't make much sense to me. Is there dark, gritty stuff that someone would typically attach to my style? Sure, there are pockets of it. But then there are the sort of mundane areas that every world has and the more whimsical, happy areas. There's a wide range of color pallets, environments and architecture, so when we say it's a giant open world, then the variety really shows that.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

In all honesty, and I'm not saying this to be a jerk, I was not impressed at all by that video.  It didn't turn me off but it didn't excite me either.  Why?  Probably just because I'm too old to get excited by some generic shots of a fantasy world while soaring orchestra music plays in the background and it looks nice enough but doesn't actually tell me a damn thing about the game.

I mean, it could look better than any game ever made and that still wouldn't tell me if I would enjoy the game. 

Seriously, I don't think I can take leveling up another character just for the sake of leveling up.  I'm just about done with PvE in these games untill someone can make me feel like I'm having an adventure.  I could offer suggestions on how to do that but nobody would hear me so it's pointless.  Anyway, it's the devs job to make me feel that way; it's not my job to tell them how to do it.

So, again, that video didn't impress me because it didn't tell me what I would actually be doing if I logged into their game with a character.  I ain't doing the quest grind again I can tell you that.

That is exactly my feeling.  Graphics are probably the least important part of a MMORPG for me so this video did nothing to get me excited about this game.  In fact it makes me afraid that they might have spent too much time on graphical fluff and not enough on content and gameplay.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

You guys really need to get out more.

The studio had to not pay their employees just to make their loan payment....bad!

Secondly, its already been stated by Curt Shilling, Copernicus will basically be another WoW clone.  I suggest you go read his remarks over here.

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/search.php?searchid=2588450

and more specifically here are some of his remarks:

EDIT: Copernicus, and as always this is IMO only, will be an amazing MMO, an amazing experience for reasons that I believe MANY MMO players here will find awesome. Some won't, some of you guys will bitch and will gripe, that's likely the reason FoH is FoH.
    It will NOT be an ability based sand box game, it just won't. So those of you that want that need not continue following this thread. Apologies if that was what you were hoping for.
    It won't reinvent the wheel in many ways, but I do believe it will introduce some things promised, yet never done, and some things thought un'doable'. It may not be your cup of tea, but I am betting, roughly 40mm of my own money, and crap ton of others, that we will change the MMO space forever.
    It will not be a twitched based combat system, it will have classes, it will have things I think MMO players love, and it will do them as well as anyone ever has.
    I do believe we will move the genre forward, how much we do will likely be on you, the players, to determine on your own if we did what you had hoped, or did not.

I can't believe this game is going to be 2 faction, ugggggh that is like the biggest thing all these MMOclones need to stop doing. Well, I also can't believe all the retards telling the head of a studio who just launched a x-platform RPG that has sold over a million copies in a month how he needs to market his game. Excuse me now while I go tell Tom Brady the proper way to make love to brazilian supermodels, he's probably doing it all wrong.

and his reply here:  Ya but don't think about factions in a traditional sense...

Yes there is, there's a ton of info on Amalur and the MMO out there, if you care enough to look.

If you don't, then no, there isn't a ton on the surface to see.

Zehn I am unsure what you're going for.
    Are you trying to piss me off to get a response? I think you know that's not going to happen by now.
    Or are you trying to talk for me, or tell people what you think I really mean, in both cases you continue to be wrong.
    Can't figure it out.
    We are not going to reinvent MMO's, but we are going to to try to elicit some of what we all felt with EQ, in some way, while evolving MMO's in ways we think are pretty damn cool and new.

For a huge set of players levels denote, call out, and acknowledge achievement. Levels are a way to recognize effort, achievement, dedication, whatever you want to call it or label it, for many players.

I always liked levels in my games.

Not to say I didn't like games without levels, because I did, but given the choice I liked it due to it's simplicity.

It gives me a ladder to climb, and imo HOW I climb the ladder is about as important to me, if not more so, than the actual climbing itself.

It's a game, my hobby, and I want to have fun playing it, whatever the system in place to denote progress.

I wasn't a fan of UO, mainly because of PVP, and me not being a PVP guy, but I think more so because everyone looked and acted the same. Everyone had the same skills, and abilities, and to me that was boring.

I like being able to be a monk, and the fact that ONLY (at launch) humans could be monks in EQ was, I think, the major reason I picked the class. I like that, I think that's cool.

Originally Posted by Cadrid View Post
    You surround yourself with teenaged boys in speedos?

I will agree with this, and what I was thinking (but failed to say) when I wrote I wanted to feel that "there was a grander story being told." As a Human in WoW, I thought the Deadmines questline was amazing, and by the time I finished (in spite of the tedious collection quests) I felt like there was a story far bigger than my own going on in the world.

Then it kind of petered out and the rest of the game felt like "Okay, now that you beat the Defias, go kill undead in that scary forest over there/animals in the mountains/whatever. Drop the pointless collection quests and offer a few epic questlines akin to the Defias Brotherhood one.

Gotta tell you SWtoR did this for me. My NPC buddies made me a hero, or at least feel superior. And it wasn't from jump street.

I think there's another angle here. What if we made you feel different, special? Then made the world something epic and awesome, then made you important in that, then made you matter in the future of that.

All of that wrapped up in an extremely polished and fun game...

SO MUCH FAIL IN HIS POSTS

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.