It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
The thread about whether or not we'd want fishing got me to thinking on the subject, and I made a post over on guru here. But, to save you all a trip, here it is...
Right now, fishing isn't in the game, so this is purely hypothetical. However, imagine if they were to introduce it, what they could to with it.
* Craftable Fishing poles, various levels of poles perhaps, or even various levels of hooks jewelers could make
* Obviously more cooking options.
* Random dynamic events. Imagine if you accidentally hooked a Hylek leader and started a local skirmish, or hooked a long sleeping creature on the bottom of the lake that went into a rampage.
* Fishing competitions would be possible I imagine...
I hope they'll consider it... in the GW2 universe they could make fishing a whole lot more than buy a pole and cast a line.
Your skill bar changes with the pole equipped.
1. Cast. Distance of the cast is dependant on how long you hold the key down and it's straight line from where you're facing.
2. Jiggle. You give your bait a little wiggle.
3. Set hook. When you get a visual indicator that something is nibbling your bait you use three to set the hook which leads to:
4. Land/Reel in. Bring the fish in. Landing the fish could be made more complicated with things like drag, etc, but maybe not just yet.
5. Bait hook. Opens your tackle box (new bag type) and allows you to select baits as well as sinkers or bobbers. Depending on bait and depth different fish could become available. The Tackle box would be a bag with a certain number of slots in it that solely holds fishing equipment. Different size tackle boxes could be crafted.
Other event idea(s):
An NPC needs help clearing a dock or favorite spot of some nasties so he can fish. As a reward, you can buy certain baits, maybe a recipe, plus get advice on how to catch a certain type of fish for karma.
This would not be your Grandaddy's fishin'.