Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List your Pros and Cons for debate!

RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Hey,

So I would like to invite the gamers on these boards to list their past gaming experience and their thoughts on here. Please keep it civil and no direct attacks on any other posters.

I want to get all of you to list what you like and dislike about Tera. I know there are other simmilar threads here, however after reading most of the threads there seems to be the same categories debated. I am hoping to get a more in depth discussion.

Constantly being debated:

1) Grind (every MMO has a grind, not sure why you guys are surprised that Tera has one. If you can name me 1 that doesn't have some sort of grind I will play it, but all including eve has some sort of grind.)

2) Combat (it is the first MMORPG that has this kind of combat system, DN  and Vin is simmilar to Tera but not the same.)

While the grind and combat are hot topics, what else about the game do you guys/gals enjoy or dislike?

My Opinion:

For a game that started in Korea, I feel Eme has done a great job for the NA release. There are several issues with the game of course and I am sure most of you know what those are.

Pros:

* Great artistic style

* Innovative combat

* Great landscapes and thriving environments

* Great customer service

* BAM

* Dye system

* Shared bank

* Easy learning curve if you have ever played an MMO and a FPS

Cons:

* Crafting system needs to be re-worked

* Quest quality is lacking

* Re-used monster models (Every game does this, but I have an issue when they re-used BAM models)

* Game feels rather Linear (Has the same feeling of Warhammer as far as quest hubs go and WoW post BC)

* Glyph system is not organized

As far as gaming experience goes, in regards to MMORPGs specifically because I have lost count of how many console games I have beaten. *EQ,EQ2,Vang,MUD,WoW,AOC,Tera,LOTRO,DD,Aion,Rift, just about every f2p game out there. DC, COH,COV,GW1,GW2B. I am sure there is more that I am missing.

P.S. Please no posts about how GW2 is better, as far as I am concerned GW2 is still an unfinished product and until it releases everything about it is purely speculation.

Comments

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Pros:

Combat - I do like the active dodging, blocking in combat. (tho i'm not sure why people act like it is a new thing)

Size - so far, judging by where I've been and the map, it looks like a pretty large world.

Polish - I haven't seen any bugs and the launch seemed smooth, tho granted I was on a trip during part of it and I don't know if I just missed some problems.

Graphics - loaded up the game, turned graphics on max, getting very good FPS and my computer is set up more to be an audio recording monster than a graphics machine, so. well done as far as I can tell. Tho... see art style below.

Monster AI - is pretty good, more at higher levels.

Species - I like that they have original playable species, even if some have an aesthetic I can not stomach. (tho i was too late to make a Baraka named Obama on my server, damn you fast downloader!) My main is an Aman(sp?) goat lizard thing. i must admit he looks pretty cool swinging his Freudian-sized Axe.

Cons (objective):

Character customization is a bit lacking. Fact that they have built in the capability to have good sliders, but that hair and horns etc. are linked is strange. No body size differences.

No skill customization to speak of. Glyphs, w/e. I am spoiled by City of Heroes.

Quests - boring. nothing new here.

Mobs - with the decent AI that the monsters have once aggro'd, I am annoyed at the typical way they are standing around waiting to be XP. I suppose some of the fights were reminding me fondly of Darkfall, and then realizing that, if these beasts should be hunting me. Thankfully, there are some that group up on you, but it is not like in Darkfall where they attack you from afar, and run away. More like Ryzom, but not quite as refined so far (I'm mid level only).

Cons (subjective):

Art style - granted very subjective, but I just don't like the fantasy eastern style. I like some eastern style art mind you, (e.g. Black Lagoon) but just not this typical fantasy style. I just zoom in so I can't see anyone else and I'm cool. I mean, when your gay friend laughs at how 'queer' it looks...lol..just lol...

Elin - gag

Potpori - gag

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Pros/Cons from the view of a PvPer playing a lvl42 Slayer / 30 Mystic

Past Gaming Experiences: UO, AC, DAOC, EQ, EQ2, WOW, and a ton of the smaller mmorpgs.  I think only major player I didnt try was starwars and I couldnt get into Eve.

Pros:

Unreal 3 engine. (Smooth engine, nice detailed bump mapping, etc)

Great combat.

Large skill gap (though mostly the gap is larger in melee,  lots of people disagree with me here but in my experience the skill gap between a nub melee and a great melee is much more apparent than a nub caster vs a great caster).

Great PvP potential.

Shared bank.

BAMs can be amusing at times.

Cons:

Pretty much everything else....

Enmasse - I'm not really sure this company gets it.  It looks like they are trying and thats great but I don't think they have done enough pvp wise to assist Tera.   Enabling LFG for everything was a serious mistake, it may not be a big deal on the lower population servers but its a disaster for the higher populations.   Sure you can turn off the chat but people will try to talk to you on it instead of area chat or whispers. 

Duels - No unit collision in town,  should have a way to regain hp faster after a duel for example automatically recovering hp and mana to same level you were at before the duel started..of course would need to add an exception to null the hp and mana recovery if any pve activity occured between just to avoid abuse.

Deathmatch - A cool idea but getting one together? not so easy.  What I would like to see is if someone starts a deathmatch in the area you are in you can accept from a dialog that pops up and be ported to the specific spot they have chosen.   Of course there would have to be some other restrictions to avoid abuse such as people not in the death match would be unable to attack or assist players in the deathmatch.  (i've never done one but im going with the assumption that they havent though of that)

Potions -  Its one thing to have a single potion on a 1min cooldown but to have a 2nd one on a 3min seperate cooldown is a bit much.  Fine for PvE but can be a nasty advantage in PvP.

Quests -  Only a few quests are interesting.  One thing I find most people can get behind is revenge.  What? Its true! tell me you didnt enjoy killing such and such traitor.

Possible Cons:

Linear maps - Some of the maps remind me of that final fantasy...the number escapes me it was one of the recent ones on ps3 where the maps were all like tunnels.  In some of the recent zones ive been in the zone is only a little wider than the roads....does help me run into PvP more often so im not really sure this is a con for  me but I imagine it is for some.

Glyph system -  The glyph system does not allow as much customization as say wow's talent system.  This lowers diversity but at the same time makes the game that much easier to balance.   Con for PvE'ers for sure undecided so far for me.

Bottom Line:

If you don't PvP I can't imagine Tera is the MMORPG of choice for you unless you dislike all the other choices out there at this time.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

If you don't PvP I can't imagine Tera is the MMORPG of choice for you unless you dislike all the other choices out there at this timet

I wholehearedly disagree.  The PVE in this game is basically as good as other games questwise/mobwise etc, however the action combat makes it a lot more fun.  If you like zoning out while just PVEing and not really paying attention or encountering any real risk or having to react fast, then yeah maybe not.

TERA is weird to me because most of it's pros can be cons and vice-versa.

Pro: I think almost everyone agrees the combat is a big step forward for MMOs.  I like how the guy in the G4 review said, "If you want to get a glimpse of the future of MMO gameplay, TERA is well worth checking out."  Lord only hopes so.

The rest can be either pro or con depending on preferences.

Graphics: Pro: Looks fantasic and runs very well on most systems.  Con: Eastern look which is a big turnoff to people who prefer medieval fantasy.

Lack of skill trees: Pro: Fights are not determined by having the FOTM spec and are determined by how the player plays much more than anything else.  Con: No micromanaging skill points (although there is some chance to do that with glyphs and crystals) which can be fun in a nerdy kind of way.

Lack of battlegrounds: Pro: Deathmatches can be arranged and bet upon, although people aren't used to the game enough to see much of this happening.  Also, no grinding BGs or scenarios for PVP gear.  Con: No instant PVP action, which has become a staple of MMOs since Warhammer.  They will be added "later in the summer".

Insanely quick transportation options: Pro: you can get anywhere you want super fast.  You get a mount at level 11.  Con: Slightly immersion breaking as you never quite feel ike you're traversing a world (at least not more than once, once you get a teleport point, you're not going to go over the same distance again).

Group fights are challanging: Pro: it feels rewarding when you work as a team and win against a boss.  Con: some people just aren't good players and mess up a lot and can bring a party down.

Quests: Pro: they are pretty much standard and what you'd expect from an MMO.  Con: they are pretty much standard and what you'd expect from an MMO.

Real racial diversity including different animations/different armor looks etc: Pro: You feel like the races really are different.  Con: People can't handle Elins.

No Raids: Pro: No need to schedule your life around a game to progress at endgame.  Con: what to do at endgame?  So far it's just hardmode instances and dailies however a not-quite-fully-understood Nexus system will be put in which will be kind of like raiding apparently.

So, I can see how people might not like the game.  Generally I see the Pro side of what TERA has to offer, but I can see how some people might only see the Con side, I suppose.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Pro:

Combat requires more attention than we're used to

No limits to the number of gathering and crafting.

Dungeons are cool (thanks to the combat)

Huge world

Extremely well polished

Cons:

To much action/combat orientated. Very little reason to hang out, not much else to do except grinding, questing or dungeons.

World/zones is/are not as open as I wished it was (even though the world is big)

The art style. Not really my style but it's not that bad either.

Simple character progression. Very little options to distinguish yourself from the others.

Quests are dull and boring

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

Pros:

Levelling - some ppl may not agree here. To me feels just right considering what kind of content is used to level up characters. If you have a group and want to rush to cap then by all means, go ahead, will be fast. However if you prefer to do quests, sometimes some dungeon and so on thet it feels right. Just my simple comparison to Rift - in Rift reaching cap (mainly quests, sometimes dungeon) always were taking me around 10-14 days. In TERA I am not spending any less time in game, playing over 2 weeks and still have over 15 levels to go using same style of levelling.

Combat - won't argue here. Playing slayer is amasing so far. Don't take me wrong, regarding PvP it's all about movement, just more than in other games. About PvE slayer is said to be hard and in the beginning it might be the truth however it's really easy to get used to that style of combat. BAM's - well on most of them that are in my level range (+/-3 levels) don't require any insane dodging while in group. It's rather easy combat (if you want a challenge then by all means do it solo - also doable). Connection definitely helps but then in order to suck completely your connection would have to ba a total disaster really.

Story quests - never really liked that kind of stuff, preferred rather old style that was present in WoW (vanilla), EQ2 or DAoC - more of the free roam than just finish hub 1 then move to hub 2 and never go back. But still story quests in TERA do feel rewarding and enjoyable actually

Lack of skill trees - this one is definitely working for TERA however so far I feel that it could and should be explored by devs much more. So far it works that in any other MMO there is char level, gear, build, rather static skill rotation that does not change during fight. After that there comes player skill as the least important for real. In TERA it is char level, gear, build (at least to some extense) and then player skill. Having rotation that you just blidnly follow doesn't really work well even in PvE - player must have functional brain to aid group.

Races - enough ebout elins, it will be about poporis this time^^ On a serious note every race in TERA is always inspired by some other race from other game(s) out there. For example poporis/elins are influenced by night elfs from WoW (but not only by them) while amans and Kaiator reminded me of Ironforge really. However they are all represented in manner so when you play any of those races it doesn't feel like "omg, I've played this in every game out there!". Perhgaps except high elfs and humas for obvious reasons.

Graphics and audio part - you may not like the style, it stinks korean really. Personally I don't mind it, some ppl do. But then comparing it any MMO game released in past 2-3 years or that is about to be released perhaps only GW2 is somehow comparable regarding it's quality.

Nexus - not much experience with that so can't say for sure. Disabled temporarily after Essenia crashed because of that feature. Still it's good that instead of doing classic instanced raids they are doing thing like this in the first place. I just hope that regardless it's position in gearing up hierarchy Nexus and other features like that will play major role unlike rifts in Rift. Having this instead of dozen tiers of instanced raids or another bunch of 5 man instances for endgame (when ppl get bored with current ones) should be much better.

World size - Not really sure if it's Kalidor + Easter Kingdoms or Arun + Shara that are bigger. In either case finally world that can't be explored in half of an hour.

Cons:

Not for everyone - if you don't like action oriented combat everywhere no matter what class youu play then TERA is not for you. Simple as that.

Worls design - sometimes it does feel more like labirynth and another Unreal Tournament map than MMORPG zone. Not often but still.

Questing - as much as story quests can be fun questing in general feels just like finish all quests around, then leave and never come back.

Crafting - way too easy to master it. Doubtfully will play any significant role in economics (note that right now players are still leveling plus gear is boe at best)

Minor bugs - there are several minor bugs in game or things that could be tweaked such as climbing down, instanced matching sometimes doesn't teleport to instance and so on.

Frogster - if you are from Europe then this is the biggest one. Recently company made a few good decisions and taken some steps in right direction. As a whole of past few months? Below average quality of f2p companies. They can learn from any company, even like gPotato. It always will be for them advancement. If you are from Europe, go through forums and follow it for some time. If you get the feeling that something there doesn't just work right then it may be a sign to either stay away or roll NA servers instead.

• EwanisEwanis Member UncommonPosts: 39

Crafting - way too easy to master it. Doubtfully will play any significant role in economics (note that right now players are still leveling plus gear is boe at best)

You are wrong in this place m8, craft is realy i mean realy expensive. It costed mi 25k gold to hit 410 on weaponsmith, and the materials for the weapons i can craft now are not cheap, not at all. Best weapon from craft, i mean the t13 one, i can easly sell for 50k, i realy dont think this is not significant role in economics.

Originally posted by jazz.be

Cons:

Simple character progression. Very little options to distinguish yourself from the others.

Quests are dull and boring

I was thinking about this yesterday.  My slayer is coming up on lvl44 now and I started to feel the desire to stop and watch some tv come along.  This is very unusual for me as I usually dedicate my spare time to leveling a char until he hits the cap.  At first I thought it was the boring quests but then as I got to some more interesting quests I realized its not the quests thats the problem its the character progression.

I already have the glyphs I wanted the most,  crystals don't exactly change much between upgrades, last new ability I got was back at lvl38 I don't think I get another one I can use for leveling until 50. 

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

there character difference are noticable like other game where you use completely different skill and such. however playstyle matters  lot. 2 slayer with the exact same gear, glyph, and crystal plays like 2 different class depending on how a person plays.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by rexzshadow

there character difference are noticable like other game where you use completely different skill and such. however playstyle matters  lot. 2 slayer with the exact same gear, glyph, and crystal plays like 2 different class depending on how a person plays.

100% agree here. But this is the case in any mmo isnt it? I mean statistical terms aside it always eventually comes down to the player.

Originally posted by Wakygreek

100% agree here. But this is the case in any mmo isnt it? I mean statistical terms aside it always eventually comes down to the player.

Not techinally true, because most mmorpgs have a set rotation that provides maxium dmg out put. So if you go with said build most likely you have set rotation. Also most mmorpgs movement doesn't matter much, its all about your rotation, tera you can have exact same rotation but depending on the person's movement it feels completely different.

Like archer can all use skill 1-3-4-5 but one of them will say safe and snipe while other whill be moving in and out getting maybe 1 and 4 in melee range for more dmg but 3 and 5 in safe range.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

It was fun at the begining but the quest grind really bored me, than D3 came (lol, which is pretty much the same... except you grind items except quests) Almost everybody break up their Pros and cons like this:

Pro:

Combat.

Cons:

Rest of the game.

==============

I think this is not healthy for the longevity of the game. Personally i would love to see more detailed world pvp. And i dont agree to the skill based pvp concept as the only real skill req is that crosshair that you need to aim at your target, but any person that plays any FPS game with a decent lvl can nail that aiming. I think skills of the game does not synergize with each other and with other classes, that was really upsetting for me. Game is fun but it gets boring fast.

Are you responding to me? What i meant is that there is no perk to reaching the next lvl for me right now.

Originally posted by Butregenyo
    And i dont agree to the skill based pvp concept as the only real skill req is that crosshair that you need to aim at your target, but any person that plays any FPS game with a decent lvl can nail that aiming. I think skills of the game does not synergize with each other and with other classes, that was really upsetting for me. Game is fun but it gets boring fast.

Aiming has very little to do with the skill req of pvp however I suppose for some classes that could be an issue. Most of it is responding appropriately and quickly there is very little room for failure against a good opponent.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Pros

Great combat system+8

Graphics are very good+8

In the middle of Cons and Pros--The world is semi open in the sence that it looks big but it really is a bit of a box,compared to Vanguard it feels pretty small.

Cons

Quests-damn right boring to say the least,linear hub questing and lacking depth.

Style of graphics and game is not to my liking,very child like IMO.

Very control item and armour system,no supprise when out in the world questing.

Each class can only use a certain weapon,i'm used to MMO like Vanguard where a class has a number of weapons available to them.

All in all,Tera is fun for a while but if you like more depth to your MMOs then it fails in that regard.

The best thing Tera has going for it is the combat system but as you get higher it becomes a bit boring.

7/10 IMO. 

More--i really dont understand why MMOs only have one or two starting areas,each race should have it's own city and areas,it makes the world feel very small.

IMO the game is a filler and has no lasting appeal but it is still a well made game but lacking some key features that make an MMO shine.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Pros:

1> Gorgeous character models, really pretty.

2> Wonderful animations in both players and enemies.

3> Lots of potential to make the world more entertaning.

Cons:

1> Quests. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

If they don't make the game world more entertaining then this game is going to fall to the wayside ridiculously fast.  The world and the quests within it, are just lacking to a monumental degree.

There's no sense of urgency in this game what-so-ever.  Its just random enemies standing there waiting to be attacked. 

Absolutely pointless feeling.

Gotten to my upper 20s and I just don't see a point anymore.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Pro= combat-----PvP-----horse quickly---------different channels----------crafting---------graphics

Con= Trash quests(a lot of them)------------PvE--------teens---------

Over all good PvP game if you igore the idiots

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Pros: Large world, future F2P, dodge

Cons: Cutsey Anime graphics, average animations, Story, Crafting, quests, outdated class limitations, brings nothing new

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Pro= combat-----PvP-----horse quickly---------different channels----------crafting---------graphics

Con= Trash quests(a lot of them)------------PvE--------teens---------

Over all good PvP game if you igore the idiots

Seriously!

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

let's see

pros> more races to choose,

open world,

beautifull world to look at,

gets buffs for collecting things like ore, plants

cons> slow combat, don't need to really have a tank  just need a healer,

most combat ends with the first one to land something,

lvl and gear more important then skill, easy to kill elites (bams) alone,

most of time you have to look your back against pks who will attack you first and be always on higher lvl with no way to flee or lose agro of mobs,

even though we do have more races to choose its just a skin thing

grindish,

really I give this game 1 year till it hit f2p, its like aion most of time only diference is slow combat

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Pros - Combat, Animations, Character models, environmental design, diversity(insane diversity) and quality, world size, BAMs, the story quest line, dungeons, PvP.

Cons - The kill 10x quests everywhere(you barely have to do any if you really don't want to, level up primarily on story quest+dungeons+group BAM quests only if you want, ive been doing it for the last 5 levels, 40-45), lancers, people who do every quest in the game then complain it's boring(pick and choose my friends, think outside the box). Some excessively reused mobs(doesn't bother me but it would be nice to see even more mobs).

@Alkarion, what? You absolutely need a tank later on in the game that's for sure and the combat is pretty darn fast.

Originally posted by Ceromus

Are you responding to me? What i meant is that there is no perk to reaching the next lvl for me right now.

Yes, and you lvl up to get better gear, unlock new glyphs, new skills, and new dungeon. I don't feel game should be handing out new skills ever 2 lvl or else you end up with way too many skill thats will just be useless.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Pros: It looks good.

Cons: combat gets old super fast.

the quests are terrible

Bams become boring after awhile

It s not a pvp game, although many people claim it is, it was a pve game first, with some lame ass so called owpvp, with nothing at all, as far as purpose goes.

Can t think of anything else for pros, but cons, too many to list.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

let's see

open world,

most of time you have to look your back against pks who will attack you first and be always on higher lvl with no way to flee or lose agro of mobs,

grindish,

really I give this game 1 year till it hit f2p, its like aion most of time only diference is slow combat

Who cares about how long you give the game to go Free To Play? You mad because your game Aion is considered total garbage by everybody and now you wish for TERA to suffer the same fate?  And just to be clear that I am not a TERA fanboy I think TERA is probaly a 6 out of 10 at most and thats being generous. Its not a bad game but its not a really good game either.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Mannish

let's see

open world,

grindish,

Who cares about how long you give the game to go Free To Play? You mad because your game Aion is considered total garbage by everybody and now you wish for TERA to suffer the same fate?  And just to be clear that I am not a TERA fanboy I think TERA is probaly a 6 out of 10 at most and thats being generous. Its not a bad game but its not a really good game either.

Actually I care, I care a lot. Thanks for your POV alka

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by xposeidon
    Originally posted by Mannish

let's see

open world,

grindish,

Actually I care, I care a lot. Thanks for your POV alka

Oh, so thats how it is. Let me leave then so you 2 can be alone.image

Originally posted by Ceromus   Originally posted by rexzshadow there character difference are noticable like other game where you use completely different skill and such. however playstyle matters  lot. 2 slayer with the exact same gear, glyph, and crystal plays like 2 different class depending on how a person plays.
      Are you responding to me? What i meant is that there is no perk to reaching the next lvl for me right now. Yes, and you lvl up to get better gear, unlock new glyphs, new skills, and new dungeon. I don't feel game should be handing out new skills ever 2 lvl or else you end up with way too many skill thats will just be useless.

I get better gear multiple times per level, that doesnt mean anything to me. I have all the good glyphs already until I learn backstab which isnt until lvl 56. From 38 to 50 I dont learn any new skills aside from a 'pvp only' one on a 1 and a half minute cooldown. At lvl50 I get overpower which just buffs my next attack by 30% dmg so basically from 38 to when I get backstab at 56 I have a serious lack of character development.