Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keeping a balanced look at GW2

sofakingdumbsofakingdumb Member Posts: 54

This game is getting healthy promotions, but perhaps overhyped and here is why, first, let's flash back to key elements that are paralleled in GW2

1. PvE and Gameplay) GW franchise has always been the alternative   game in the mmorpg community. That is, it was one of the first to bridge single player box titles and mmorpg. In this period it was EQ, WoW, Camellote online, lineage, etc. aall those 1995 and up titles. The single player hits were baulder gate, str craft, etc etc. So when this game cme out, it was very popular as it got those box payers to pick it up (some not even knowing they will need an internet connection), and put their little tos in the mmo water.   

What they found was a graphically revoutioary game as they created their characters a devle into the world. My fancy pants mesmer was cutting down big bad gaurds and taking out bosses as I progresed in my tasks. Try a new charater and the tire deflates. The epicnes falls short. A heavy plated warrior class takes out the same gaurds as my mesmer... Albeit a little bit faster than me, but the  (1A) CLASSLESS system  took out the feeling of uefullness in PvE. Sure, some class dealt damage different, but overall, enemies were just over graphically beautifull obstacals that forced a group,because numbers of damage dealing, not class, is what pushed you to the next part of the map.

(1B) I easily found myself in single player game with mmo lobby (villages). The players half responsive and the maps instanced. People grouped jut to push past  an instance portion, yet another lack luster n PvE. This is why they added rentable bot  player AI later on. 

There is a reason for this:

2) PVP: Really, the goal ws pvp. Your memer was finally able to shine in a group to shut down that mage comming at your grouped warrior. A semi squirt of class action coud be seen, but again, it is motly lke a fast game of pokemon, whos pet could hash out as much dmg, or resist, or shut down the other first. The competitve play lead to international competitions. We can see this kind of hype today with MOBA genre LoL, an alternate game with comptitve level. Like MOBA, GW was not MORPG, it is:

THE gimped easy version version of mmORPG: Massive MULTI player Online Role Play: ROLE = Healer, Tank, Magic. A role of one lass that serve at one thing and needs the rol of anoher to fullfill the   other is mmorpg. Massive it was not aas pvp was limited (hence mmo), and towns lobby (mmo), and instance maps (action mmo). 

NOW GW2:

Did you think they would change? no.They 

1B) removed instanced maps to call the title mmorpg. Yet, the epicness of pe content i still lacking.at launch of every class, the big boss is there for you to kill at level 3 as you follow the story line. In fact the closed beta showed that the story line is the instance map equivelant. You have to eventully fullfil that quet to press on. You do have to pass that boss, you will see a bunch of el 3 noobs take out a large graphially armored boss with ease, like GW1, taking the luster out of feeling epic, or pve-ish (ie starting as that pesant an growing into a world hero). 

they kept forced grouping with damag dealing scheme. Instead of an istanced map blocking you unless you grouped with other dmage outputters (whatever class), they now put active mobs, random spawns, and baically made obs span by the hundreds, blocking yur path / quest objective, forcing that group to get the job done, ad everyone is caling this "intuiive gameplay". Add the fact no class support, eeryone is drinking potions nd every one has puh, pull, nd aoe skils, the ore is jus damage out and in. Your role is cosmetic, and allot less effort in class assistance (mmorpg, recall) So, it is the alternative mmorpg. 

Quite frankly, I love healing, standing back i  battle in robes and wathing how the group, in traditional mmorpgs, suht down, heal up, attack, efend, each charater needed eah other beaue of their build smarts, castig skills, armor builds, and personal relation with their character, and knowig the boss fight. GW...just grou up,lets go (pve). GW2 no different. Again, the conent, not the instancing, force this kind of gameplay in GW2. 

2b) PVP: GW2 atually takes a step back. Again, random mob vp zones, spittng out pvp eents in an ope world as been done. In fat all pvp types are one, yu ant create somethingnew, you can only chose. Realm,uild,arena, ross ream, etcc GW2 is overadvertising the fact that you can manipulte more items in the battle field(turrets, etc), and the battle progresses. Ok, but again, they need other distrctions in pvp as classless systems are going to take its toll here. Also, open world combat is 100% reliante on population and geogrph. With time the pop will even out, and the zones will be baren leaving 1or2 top areas prefered. Expansions make this wore. Structured pvp (instned hahaha) wil work, but that s stoc pvp, not market changing. So, she will hine exatly like the 1 gw, instanced competitve pvp. 

I^n conlusion. I am ejoying true class game play in my F2P (i never paid box price, nd my cash shop is low price for things i dont need) A true MMORPG, no excues, no need to try and break the mold (if the whee isnt broken, why try to fix it?). i unerstand mmorpg are not for everyone, they are hard. thankfuly WoW and GW2 is here for you all, and there is nothing wrong with that. 

Comments

• sofakingdumbsofakingdumb Member Posts: 54

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Ok, your spelling is by far the worst I ever seen here, and that from someone who has English as his first language. Please get a spellchecker.

GW1 did not add henchies later, they were in from start. That the awesome customization made you feel that some classes were useless seems to point that you made the wrong builds. A class will always be better doing it's main thing than any other class having the skills as secondary.

As for GW2 I never got that feeling, my thief did some stuff alone without problems and some other stuff together with other players. I felt that the open world and the DEs were by far superior to the old system.

As for PvE it is annoying that GW2 havn't added Guild Vs Guild yet, but beside that is the mist so far from the battleground in factions as I ever seen anything.

GW2 is far superior in my meaning. GW was a great game of it's time but things change. To remake old games exactly the same as old games make little sense, then you just can make expansions instead.

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101

*yawn* I'm pretty sure the OP is a Poe, though I can't be sure because how fragmented his sentences are.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

Seems like you posted a huge summary of your opinions on how GW2 is going to work without actually playing it. Which obviously is completely idiotic. You are very clueless as to how the classes work, You have no clue about how tough fights actually get once you get past level 10, And you obviously are clueless about the WvWvW PVP. Perhaps you should just stick to your lock stock standard bottom of the barrel trilogy class system F2P games and leave the market changing revolutionary games to those people who are not scared of something a little bit different.

Originally posted by Loke666

Ok, your spelling is by far the worst I ever seen here, and that from someone who has English as his first language. Please get a spellchecke

Uusins a flixble keyboard on a business flight, but if you are a gammer you are used to ohai, wuzup, n"wb, etc, so dont get all academic on me. i hold a masters with 4 plus yers english (normal is jut 2 for students).

GW1 did not add henchies later, they were in from start. That the awesome customization made you feel that some classes were useless seems to point that you made the wrong builds. A class will always be better doing it's main thing than any other class having the skills as secondary.

As for GW2 I never got that feeling, my thief did some stuff alone without problems and some other stuff together with other players. I felt that the open world and the DEs were by far superior to the old system.

As for PvE it is annoying that GW2 havn't added Guild Vs Guild yet, but beside that is the mist so far from the battleground in factions as I ever seen anything.

GW2 is far superior in my meaning. GW was a great game of it's time but things change. To remake old games exactly the same as old games make little sense, then you just can make expansions instead.

you basically just greed with me and in your on words though LOL

Not gonna fall for it dude. Keep it Poeing, a tip for next time though. There's no potion in GW2. If you're gonna do it, at least do it right.    

Originally posted by sofakingdumb Add the fact no class support, eeryone is drinking potions nd every one has puh, pull, nd aoe skils, the ore is jus damage out and in. Your role is cosmetic, and allot less effort in class assistance (mmorpg, recall) So, it is the alternative mmorpg.

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

@OP

Nicely said...

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by meari

Not gonna fall for it dude. Keep it Poeing, a tip for next time though. There's no potion in GW2. If you're gonna do it, at least do it right.    

Originally posted by sofakingdumb Add the fact no class support, eeryone is drinking potions nd every one has puh, pull, nd aoe skils, the ore is jus damage out and in. Your role is cosmetic, and allot less effort in class assistance (mmorpg, recall) So, it is the alternative mmorpg.

It is exactly why I called him out... Almost everything mentioned in his post is way wrong. I have about 49 hours played in GW2 already and every time I see someone post some troll crap like this I get a good laugh. He clearly doesnt understand how the classes start to get really defined rolls later into the game as you start working out more detailed specs. He is very missinformed about the differences between DEs and Storyline quests and the standard fare quests in every other game. He seems to think that WvWvW is only zerg fests and wont hold people even though it has been the most popular aspect in the game since Closed betas, and he has never seen what happens when a good organized guild takes control of the WvWvW map with Macro management tactics.

Meh trolls will be trolls. Nothing we can do about it now.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

I read all the OP original post thinking there maybe a valid point somewhere and then his follow up comments about being on an airplane and has a masters degree.So my conclusion can only be he has been sampling to many free complimentary drinks (alcohol) or he is about to crash on some island that isn't on any map because some fool didn't press a button! :)

Also as far as map design, they also stated officially that NO FLYING MOUNTS will exist as flying takes awy from the feel of  game, like when ow made you fly or  hill of bad guys that you oe had to fight your way through. Now that is just n exuse to say "we launched withou adding flying hysics, and we dont want to dd it because the istanced map / free questing that  mentionwould be exploited. [mod edit]

loOk at LL THE ittle roads²² o flying, nope, this is GW1 baby!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOyPUx5d72M

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by sofakingdumb

LOL at the troll who uses memegenrator to troll forums, meanwhile, in game he uses l33t speak. You failed to ick up on tht and that means you are little ibt higher than this guy. 

I'm blanced like you. I retty much hate GW2. It's has so mny things in it that are jus wierd. Way too wierd for me. I ean, like, I woder what else is so bad since I played it. But I don't know. And I wat to!

I dOnt hATe GW2 READ the end of the article!!

if it is  game for you...go for it, but it is not 1)mmorpg, and 2) not for the morpg crowd, tey will be dissapointed. But it is, like  MOBA, a way to get into something from the irst franchise, an mmo in a persistnt world. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I dOnt hATe GW2 READ the end of the article!!

if it is  game for you...go for it, but it is not 1)mmorpg, and 2) not for the morpg crowd, tey will be dissapointed. But it is, like  MOBA, a way to get into something from the irst franchise, an mmo in a persistnt world. 

Bu I hate it wy are you trolling me? I dont like itlive with it.

• RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by colddog04

LOL at the troll who uses memegenrator to troll forums, meanwhile, in game he uses l33t speak. You failed to ick up on tht and that means you are little ibt higher than this guy. 

I'm blanced like you. I retty much hate GW2. It's has so mny things in it that are jus wierd. Way too wierd for me. I ean, like, I woder what else is so bad since I played it. But I don't know. And I wat to!

Lal es funne!

Oh hey, I haven't seen this video before.. thanks mate! such awesome design, not to mention the music... didn't get to try WvWvW in beta yet, looking at those maps just make me want to run around and explore it.

Gods I miss Tyria *sob*

Stop making me miss playing the game sofakindumb!

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Ok, your spelling is by far the worst I ever seen here, and that from someone who has English as his first language. Please get a spellchecker.

Lol OP you make Loke666 angry.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• SomsbalSomsbal Member Posts: 222

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Does anyone know a good, free WTF -> English translator I can use to figure out what the hell this guy is saying?

Could make out a little... saw a fallacious claim that GW2 isn't a full MMO, saw some crap about taking out guards in GW1 which shows he has never played the game or has any real idea what it's about,... clearly never played any of the GW2 betas... very sad. Very sad indeed.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by xmenty

Lol OP you make Loke666 angry.

Lol, that is not Loke angry... Just slightly annoyed.

But to be honest is most of that due to OPs spelling and not his opinions, reading it was painful and that comming from someone who have english as one of his secondary languages.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Also as far as map design, they also stated officially that NO FLYING MOUNTS will exist as flying takes awy from the feel of  game, like when ow made you fly or  hill of bad guys that you oe had to fight your way through. Now that is just n exuse to say "we launched withou adding flying hysics, and we dont want to dd it because the istanced map / free questing that  mentionwould be exploited. More logicl proof for you trol fan boys (already a sad sad community in this game, its ike Aions F2P lunch lolol).

Any how, watch any vieo ANY VIDEO, it is the same little paths to actin as the original. FAIL MMORPG layer. 

here, ill help yu s yuor brrais are small:

Oh yeah that conspiracy theory totally makes sense :D You forgot to mention the fact that there are no mounts at all in the game? Nor are they needed. Waypoints are much more convenient and not any more immersion breaking than swift travel options in any other game, and after that you mostly still have to run quite some distance through the area to where you wanted to go because the maps are huge.

Ok, your spelling is by far the worst I ever seen here, and that from someone who has English as his first language. Please get a spellchecke

Uusins a flixble keyboard on a business flight, but if you are a gammer you are used to ohai, wuzup, n"wb, etc, so dont get all academic on me. i hold a masters with 4 plus yers english (normal is jut 2 for students).

you basically just greed with me and in your on words though LOL

Uh, what? I have some problem understanding what you are saying.... As a "gammer" I am not really used to "ohai" (I think").

Some bad spelling happens to anyone but there is a limit to when something is complete jibberish.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

But to be honest is most of that due to OPs spelling and not his opinions, reading it was painful and that comming from someone who have english as one of his secondary languages.

Ouch, dude...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

OP, please learn what trolling really is, before you call everyone one when they say something you don't like. You're using the word far out of context.

Second of all (and this entire post is pretty much going to be off topic), you'll understand if it's hard to believe that you hold a masters in anything because of the above. That, and well, no one cares on the internet. It's still no excuse to make a sloppy post like this.

If you want forum goers to read what you have to say on said forum, I would definitely make sure they are able to.

Also, everyone in the mmo community doesn't type as horrible as you, like you said. Only people like you do that.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Volkon

Ouch, dude...

You are going to nitpick one word? Just one, when there are quite a few actually.

The OP is just being really lazy. No amount of Flexible Keyboard/Business Flight excuses will ever work if you don't even bother to read what you have written before hitting the post message button.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    *snip*

Perhaps you should learn to read. i mention ll kinds of existing pvp. Unless new echnology comes out (google game glasses thigy) there are no ne forms. leearn to read.

*snip*

I think your learning to write should be top priority. Or are you trying to set some kind of record for the most spelling errors in one post?

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.