Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just unsubscribed from TERA.

Comments

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by deziwright
    Originally posted by trenshod
    Originally posted by deziwright

seriously when did questing become pve? it didnt. you dont like the rpg in it. the pve is combat, get it right.

and thanks for telling me when ill be bored of this amazing game. silly posters.

LoL why even bother posting your comment is fail from start to finish. Do you even know what PvE stands for?

player vs environment which means a player fighting the environment/enemies. PvE does not mean quests. Roleplaying is questing. Aka story. You are now informed. You are welcome.

Hm, are you sure that "role playing" is just a story? I think "role playing" is a little bigger that then just that.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by RoninOkami
    Originally posted by rexzshadow Originally posted by p_c_sousa PvE doesnt mean quest obvious (GW2 is a prove of that) but on Tera, quest is a huge part of PvE.  so for you PvE just mean combat? lol. PvE is far from be combat only...you can have the better combat system and have a bad PvE system...
    Wait what? GW2 PvE is all about quest, DE are just public quest they are still quest just delivered in different ways. If anything its the Pre-WoW games that prove it.
    Actually your part right... however the definitive questing tradition is you talk to someone and their asking you to do stuff for them or aquire a certain thing.  In GW2 I could be just roaming around and get suprised by something in that area and THEN the event triggers...thus PVE gets expanded into a wider area because you literally are fighting the environment as you encounter it.

There static spawn points, soon enough you will become aware of them them and could even camp them to trigger certain quests.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by seiiya
    Originally posted by mWo4life

First of all, to be clear, I don't regret spending $50 on TERA and I still would recommend to try the game is someone asked me. It think this is a very good game.

So why I unsubscribed? Its difficult to say, but I think TERA is good in small dosage. I guess I was playing too much, and just yesterday I started thinking "Oh god, again killing 10 of something"

then u should stop playing mmos in overall cause if u think that will change ANYTIME soon then keep dreaming buddy

mmos are all about kills,craft,exploration and grind for gear

and dont mention that gw2 warhammer-rift clone it does the exact same thing from lvl1 to 80 but with DE

GW2 dynamic events are nothing like kill 10 rat quests found in Tera..  It's completely different.  A lot of the events don't even involve real fighting or gathering.  They have mechanics specific only to that event.  The DE's that do involve killing set up more like a battle, with an enemy horde moving to a location and starting to kill the local npcs.  GW2 is hyped to hell because they aren't about gear grind and they aren't about kill 10 rats.  For structued PVP you can pick whatever gear you want. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I can see Tera being somewhat lackluster at this point in time for people who are on pve servers and gung ho about leveling for the sake of leveling and then "end game content".

If one is the type of person who can keep themselves entertained then it can be a good game. For those who are the type of person who is prone to "ok, what else do you have" then it might be lackluster on the pve side.

QFT, I can't say this enough. I've cleared my quest log completely at least 4-5 times now full of extra quests I don't need or care for.

I follow the story while doing dungeons and I do a few quests here and there to keep up, with PvP on the side as well as socializing. You don't have to bore yourself. :)

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

Same here.

Yesterday I hit 46 and I realized that i am simply TIRED of killing 20 wolves and collecting 4 treasures. Every time I come upon an outpost now I shudder because I know exactly what will follow: exclamation marks with bam quests, collection quests and kill 20 of every enemy type outside the outpost" 

TSW has far more inventive quests. Hell, even D&D online had so many gems!

I love the graphics, combat system and lots of other things, but I am sorry it is a GRIND and from 1 to 46 I was doing EXACTLY the same thing. Even SWTOR didn't evoke that feeling in me because at least it had a nice story.

We can complain all we want that story makes an mmo more like sp and it sucks and bla bla, but TERA has no story. I never even read a single quest because its just so boring and uninteresting. None of it makes sense so I just accept and turn in the quests hoping maybe the next quest will bring with it something more interesting. Won't happen. 

The game is content in washing you with the same quest repeated ad infinitum.

You're just making it boring by doing every single quest and failing to spice it up in between quests.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I can see Tera being somewhat lackluster at this point in time for people who are on pve servers and gung ho about leveling for the sake of leveling and then "end game content".

If one is the type of person who can keep themselves entertained then it can be a good game. For those who are the type of person who is prone to "ok, what else do you have" then it might be lackluster on the pve side.

QFT, I can't say this enough. I've cleared my quest log completely at least 4-5 times now full of extra quests I don't need or care for.

I follow the story while doing dungeons and I do a few quests here and there to keep up, with PvP on the side as well as socializing. You don't have to bore yourself. :)

I want the achievement no matter what! This is not an option :p

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    First of all, to be clear, I don't regret spending $50 on TERA and I still would recommend to try the game is someone asked me. It think this is a very good game.

So why I unsubscribed? Its difficult to say, but I think TERA is good in small dosage. I guess I was playing too much, and just yesterday I started thinking "Oh god, again killing 10 of something"

then u should stop playing mmos in overall cause if u think that will change ANYTIME soon then keep dreaming buddy

and dont mention that gw2 warhammer-rift clone it does the exact same thing from lvl1 to 80 but with DE

While that is true, Tera is a bit worse then many other MMOs quest wise. For some reason do korean devs love killing 10 rats.

And if you tried GW2 you would know that your rant is wrong, besides having nothing to do in the discussion here at all.

Tera is not a bad game, but the quests and story is it's greatest flaw. Fortunatley is that still easy to fix for the expansions and later content but the devs need to hear that it is the part they need to put their focus on.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

All developers are deathly afraid of defying convention, especially eastern ones.

This game has diverted from what they are used to enough with the combat, I doubt they will ever ditch the comfort associated with "kill 10 rats" as well.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Can we make it "kill ten trees" instead, there's no rats man. Lol.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Loke666

While that is true, Tera is a bit worse then many other MMOs quest wise. For some reason do korean devs love killing 10 rats.

And if you tried GW2 you would know that your rant is wrong, besides having nothing to do in the discussion here at all.

Tera is not a bad game, but the quests and story is it's greatest flaw. Fortunatley is that still easy to fix for the expansions and later content but the devs need to hear that it is the part they need to put their focus on.

really hope TERA adds more variety into the questing, also if the end game fleshes out a bit more I may buy it but for now I just don't see it worth playing for me... and what I put in red is so wrong in so many ways I don't know where to start...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Can we make it "kill ten trees" instead, there's no rats man. Lol.

It is kinda a MMO insider joke. Meridian 59s first quest was to go out in the moat and kill 10 rats and many other games have followed on that. M59 was the first MMO so it was kinda the first MMO quest ever.

I mean you don't really work for FEDEX in a FEDEX quest either, we just use names that people get. :)

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I have an almost 57 Priest and I haven't been able to force myself to log in for about a week now. The game looks amazing, the combat style is a lot of fun and so is the way healing is done. I just know if I log in it will be a night of kill 10x whatever over and over. Don't tell me all MMO's are this way because they aren't. I have played every major and a hell of a lot of the lesser known MMO's over the past 12-15 years and they at least made an attempt to hide the grind, Tera make no such effort. Sure you can break it up and PvP which is basically just for fun since there are no rewards for killing players. I could run some dungeons if I want to spend 2-3 hours using the LFG tool or spend an hour or so /a Priest LFG for xx. I cancelled my sub while I debate if I want to continue in Tera and am playing some D3 and Torchlight 2 beta.
  • Free2012Free2012 Member Posts: 28

Tera is not a bad game, but the quests and story is it's greatest flaw.

TERA's biggest draw is the combat system, I personally after suffering through SWTOR's 'Story Story Story' driven MMO I could care less about what the quest log says. The combat system is fun, endgame will hash itself out one way or another in the fairly short term. I'm patient enough to wait for it before making my final determination.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by tankage
    I have an almost 57 Priest and I haven't been able to force myself to log in for about a week now. The game looks amazing, the combat style is a lot of fun and so is the way healing is done. I just know if I log in it will be a night of kill 10x whatever over and over. Don't tell me all MMO's are this way because they aren't. I have played every major and a hell of a lot of the lesser known MMO's over the past 12-15 years and they at least made an attempt to hide the grind, Tera make no such effort. Sure you can break it up and PvP which is basically just for fun since there are no rewards for killing players. I could run some dungeons if I want to spend 2-3 hours using the LFG tool or spend an hour or so /a Priest LFG for xx. I cancelled my sub while I debate if I want to continue in Tera and am playing some D3 and Torchlight 2 beta.

^ exact same issue I had in the final beta weekend and it kept me from actually purchasing the game... love the art and combat is fine but I still can't beleive people that say it's just like all other MMOs quest wise.. it really isn't.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Free2012

TERA's biggest draw is the combat system, I personally after suffering through SWTOR's 'Story Story Story' driven MMO I could care less about what the quest log says. The combat system is fun, endgame will hash itself out one way or another in the fairly short term. I'm patient enough to wait for it before making my final determination.

I don't agree. To me it was fine, not great but not bad either. I thought the lack of character customization was worst. But both those 2 things are very depending on personal taste. The quests and story however is something that actually most of the players agree on needs to be fixed up.

And questwise you don't need SWTORs long talking, what I mean is that quests needs to be more varied. A huge percentage of the quests are the same just exchanging one mob for another, and while most MMOs have plenty of that TERA went far beyond silly.

I just betatested the game, but I might get it later if I get bored and need to kill some time, it was pretty decent. But they really should add more variety.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

You know, after SWTOR my stance changed as well. Which is why I'm not that enthused by the MMOs coming out soon. 

Aside from ArcheAge if it ever decides to show its mug on our shores.

Good guilds help lol, there's people gathered on Jagged Coast right now doing a player made 3v3 tournament with the deathmatch system. 

Lol just showed the streamers the spectator viewing feature and they were surprised lol. When you hold shift and then click a player you can spectate from their perspective.

http://www.twitch.tv/garbuk

Originally posted by NBlitz

You know, after SWTOR my stance changed as well. Which is why I'm not that enthused by the MMOs coming out soon. 

Aside from ArcheAge if it ever decides to show its mug on our shores.

Lol Archeage, I can only pray for that game to release, also yeah TERAs combat put me off some games sadly. Combat became more important to me now. :/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Lol Archeage, I can only pray for that game to release, also yeah TERAs combat put me off some games sadly. Combat became more important to me now. :/

All I can say is that I play these games for exploring, for story and for combat.

I despise crafting, despise fishing, despise a good amount of things that some players play mmo's for. I want to fight evil, fight players and explore and discover new things.

Tera offers this so it works for me.

Story isn't so great but I have SWToR for story and perhaps TSW.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Funny, I don't remember Dark age of Camelot(The early years), Ultima Online, or Asheron's Call being that way. As long as customers put up with mediocrity, game devs will keep pushing out the crappy kill 10 of those and collect 10 of these.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Tayah

Funny, I don't remember Dark age of Camelot(The early years), Ultima Online, or Asheron's Call being that way. As long as customers put up with mediocrity, game devs will keep pushing out the crappy kill 10 of those and collect 10 of these.

They didn't or barely had quest, release a game like that now days and it be called a grind fest and never touched.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

your wrong.  Grindy bad MMO's like Tera or Clones of WoW like SWTOR/Rift offer little replayability.  Games like GW2, TSW or Plantside2 off insane replaybility by not pigeonholing their playerbase into one single method of gameplay. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Suprisingly I'm enjoying Diablo 3 much more than I enjoyed Tera, go figure.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Blade & Soul is scheduled to be released in Korea in July. I wonder if GW2 influenced them in terms of the questing. They are certainly using the same soft lock target system.

Regarding Tera, I'm curious to see how the first vanarch elections will affect the game. I know, it is not related to questing, but neither is this thread technically. It just evolved towards that direction because most people seem to have an issue with the quests. The only people who don't seem to have a major problem with them are the few souls that actually read them and those with a Lineage 2 background or similar that the PvP conquest meta game was the game and the levelling process was just a means to an end.

I don't see how the questing could be changed at this point. I've offered some ideas but beyond offering exclusive levelling through PvP, I am not sure that they have the resources to basically redesign the early game from the ground up. At this point (almost at 60), I'd rather see them fix the situation with the lacking of tanks and them fixing their nexus system. A strong end game could justify going through the perhaps tedious process of levelling. If the end game is not strong enough, no matter how strong the early-mid game is, people will eventually leave.