Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking sides in DEs and alignment system

belerenbeleren Member Posts: 63

When I read the DE concept first, I wanted to take sides. You should judge the situation and choose a side when you encounter something in real world. I want a freedom to be evil in this game too. They also can implement a alignment system which have different effects(Increased boon/condition duration/damage etc)/visuals (Like in the fable for example). What do you think about it?

Comments

• Arachneus1Arachneus1 Member UncommonPosts: 248

Well then your talking about active PvP in every dynamic event and griefing as players try to stop your progress.  As cool as it sounds, this game's PvE is all about cooperation and unless every player can vote which way to go then there is no point to facing off against one another.  Perhaps another game could allow that kind of thing and the pvp face off between sides taken.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by beleren

When I read the DE concept first, I wanted to take sides. You should judge the situation and choose a side when you encounter something in real world. I want a freedom to be evil in this game too. They also can implement a alignment system which have different effects(Increased boon/condition duration/damage etc)/visuals (Like in the fable for example). What do you think about it?

It sounds good for an open world PvP game, but doubt we'll see it for GW2, at least for now. The whole philosophy behind the game story is that all the races join together against the dragons, having factions in the DE would go against it. However, it might show up in the future, specially if we get a cantha themes expansion, maybe they'll bring the whole Luxons/Kurziks thing back again.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Um... no. You can't have it. Fuggetaboudit. We have enough problems with the Elder Dragons out there and their minions trying to frak over all life on the planet to worry about some bungholes running around trying to grief things up. You want evil? SWToR is over there. Evil it up. There are bigger things to worry about than you.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Goes against the entire philosophy of the game which is players working together and not against each other.

• belerenbeleren Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Volkon

Um... no. You can't have it. Fuggetaboudit. We have enough problems with the Elder Dragons out there and their minions trying to frak over all life on the planet to worry about some bungholes running around trying to grief things up. You want evil? SWToR is over there. Evil it up. There are bigger things to worry about than you.

If we leave the gw2 pholosphy a side (Which is a valid argument and I totally agree choosing sides in same DE can ruin multiplayer friendly PvE enviroment and I don't want that either) I want to answer your question. What if I don't friggin' care about Elder Dragons? What if I want to take side with them? What if I am rp'ing as a trader and want to prevent that new trade route to protect my business? That is not an intelligent argument to come up with I guess. There is war and famine around the world but we are not fighting them as a united body. There is some people who don't care about them and pursue their own goals.

For the second argument, You can change into a bear and attack people for example instead of being a player. Or you can try and hunt down the npc which carries a freshly collected resources to their village. Or you can kill npc builders who came to a build site of a brige to prevent it building and destroying the site afterwards. There don't have to be 2 sides in same DE. There can be counter DE's to compete. And in an WvWvW game system can be implemented in the first way.  Maybe. :)

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Volkon

If we leave the gw2 pholosphy a side (Which is a valid argument and I totally agree choosing sides in same DE can ruin multiplayer friendly PvE enviroment and I don't want that either) I want to answer your question. What if I don't friggin' care about Elder Dragons? What if I want to take side with them? What if I am rp'ing as a trader and want to prevent that new trade route to protect my business? That is not an intelligent argument to come up with I guess. There is war and famine around the world but we are not fighting them as a united body. There is some people who don't care about them and pursue their own goals.

For the second argument, You can change into a bear and attack people for example instead of being a player. Or you can try and hunt down the npc which carries a freshly collected resources to their village. Or you can kill npc builders who came to a build site of a brige to prevent it building and destroying the site afterwards. There don't have to be 2 sides in same DE. There can be counter DE's to compete. And in an WvWvW game system can be implemented in the first way.  Maybe. :)

Iti's still a means to grief. If there's a way to grief, you'll have those people that find a juvenile pleasure in ruining other people fun doing exactly that. Let them go play lesser MMOs, there's no room for them here.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I would like to see this in a future game as new MMOs adopt and adapt the active event system in the same way that MMOs suddenly ran with the quest system once it was invented; but I wouldn't want this idea implimented in GW2.  It's just fundamentally counter to their cooperative philosophy. 

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I want a freedom to be evil in this game too.

No, go away.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

One of the things I loved (and missed) about Everquest was the alignment system, that allowed you to join nearly any city you wanted provided you killed enough of their enemies (even if that meant atacking currently friendly allies) You could be as good or evil as you wanted, and switch sides.

Unfortunately, the dual ages of "hard faction" and "shades of grey" are on us. In Hard faction, you are who you are. Horde or Alliance. Republic or Empire. Whatever. No changing it, even when the game's lore has multiple characters that do.

Shades of Grey is the idea that ALL players are heroes. Neither the Horde or Alliance are evil; just differing ideals.

I get why both of these are popular, but I wouldn't mind seeing a game where I could gleefully stab puppies for fun and profit. Don't mention EVE or CoH please, neither really does it for me in terms of villain content.

Mind you, I like GW2 as it is. And the devs have made plain it's going to be a "we're all good people" type game.

Originally posted by terrant
    I get why both of these are popular, but I wouldn't mind seeing a game where I could gleefully stab puppies for fun and profit. Don't mention EVE or CoH please, neither really does it for me in terms of villain content.

"I wish there was a game where I could do anything I wanted."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The entire PvE world is designed around cooperative play. That's why there is no PvP in the PvE world and WvW is vs. other servers, rather than racial factions. It's also why the game assumes and expects you will be a hero. You can be a flawed hero, but you can not be a villian.

If you want an alignment system where players work against each other based on which side they are on, this is not and never will be that game.

GW2 has extremely wide appeal and offers a lot for players of many different play styles, but it can't be everything for everybody.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Very interesting idea, but it would promote PvP in the world, and this would go against the design of the game. Maybe some other game with DEs could do something like this.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

There actually is an alignment system of sorts already in place, but it's completely unrelated to events.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality

It also seems completely pointless as you can spam certain NPC's to change your alignment to whatever you want right at the beginning of the game. Hopefully they give it some actual purpose at some point.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

There actually is an alignment system of sorts already in place, but it's completely unrelated to events.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Personality

It also seems completely pointless as you can spam certain NPC's to change your alignment to whatever you want right at the beginning of the game. Hopefully they give it some actual purpose at some point.

NPCs react differnt to you, and sometimes give you different options, if you are a high enough rank of those.

What the OP (and I) were talking about though is actual good v evil. Which will never make it to this game, and I'm OK with that. But I'd be happy to see a game where it did.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Hmm, I'd say something like this would be fun in WvWvW but there's already enough going on there, and you don't have the luxury of picking sides considering there are two other whole servers full of people waiting to eat your face.

I wouldn't mind seeing an alignment system, but not against other players. If you're looking for an open-world pvp environment, and that's just not what this game is designed for. It never was, and never will be. You can't do something like this without open-pvp, as then people would have no way to fight back against those working for the opposite alignment.

GW2 isn't going to allow open-pvp. Ever. Let it go. I understand people see the dynamic events as a great way to inspire PvP, you're absolutely right, except the majority of people don't want that out of a game, hence their interest in GW2 in the first place. If you want to see an FFAPVP game with a dynamic event system, hope and pray that GW2 is successful enough that someone will want to incorporate the system into their game. Probably not a stretch that it will happen eventually, anyway.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

The problem with being "evil" in this game is that all the evil ones are controlled by the dragons.  The evil characters don't have any true free will in what they do.  So, how could you play a game like GW2 without any free will?  Your sole purpose would be to kill, kill, kill.  No crafting, no housing, no interaction with others....if you want that type of thing, maybe D3 is a better bet for you?

With the lore of GW2, the whole point of this game is for disparate "factions" to come together to fight a common enemy.  Why would I want to team up with you if you tried to kill me?  Or if you killed my friends?  You could start something that would end up setting off a chain of events that caused the "factions" to not band together and hence not defeat the dragons.  So much for "endgame" at that point.....

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Alders

Goes against the entire philosophy of the game which is players working together and not against each other.

Exactly.

This was a very deliberate design choice for the game. Doing something like that would bork things up pretty badly. Be evil against your enemies in PVP, problem solved.