Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since SWTOR Is So Horrible, Do You Think There's a Chance for SWG's Resurrection?

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by eddieg50

In no time in its history did swg have as many subs as swtor so why would they revive a losing game?

SWTOR only had its subs based on hype. The game launched with 2 million sales, then people just quit, despitie paying for the game.

SWG sales were done mostly because they knew what the game was about, and then stayed. All my friends stayed subbed for 2+ years in SWG, before quitting, but did keep returning over the 8 years. Can not say the same for SWTOR.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

0%

It can never be 0% unless you know exactly why it got shut down and you work with LA / SOE

This threads proves that SWG is still generating interest, and it was shut down before its time.

There would be 0% chance if SWTOR was successful and it rose from 1.7 instead of dropped, and still dropping.

If SWTOR gets too low, and to a level below what SWG was doing at June 2011, it may make LA rethink things, and let SOE take it F2P, of what they wanted to do.

If LA approached SOE saying that SWG can go F2P, I bet SOE would jump at it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'll be an optimist and say anything is possible.  But even if they did bring it back, which version would they bring back?  I liked precu version the best.

This is a bit off topic but kind of related.  I used to play with Star Trek Mego action figures when I was a kid.  I loved them, but always wished I could collect them all.  Ofcourse, you could buy them on Ebay but they were hella expensive.  Anyway, another company basically remade the figures and is selling them now.  I could see something similar happening to SWG.  Maybe SOE doesn't have any interest, but a smaller company with less overhead might.  The only thing would be the IP.  

Anyway, I think it's possible but I'm not holding my breath.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Ecnali
    Since SWTOR Is So Horrible, Do You Think There's a Chance for SWG's Resurrection?

No.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by ignore_me

So is there a petition site or something?

Here is something or there is this

With threads like this popping up by the day, and SWTOR dropping faster and faster, the chances of SWG coming back increase by the day

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by mcburly

SWG vets are funny. Shall we apologize for your game never reaching the success that swtor already has.

get over it, your game is gone. theres free versions being hosted out there somewhere. go get em..

oh and after playing both, SWTOR>SWG easily

Even the beginning of the NGE was better than SWTOR. At least in SWG you can go wherever you want and explore until your heart's content. It not like the Star Wars "chutes and ladders" that Bioware made.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Have I missed something, when exactly did swtor become this big success people seem to be talking about?   Considering the amount of money spent on it huge failure seems pretty accurate att this time.  Or are they just saying it's more successful than swg because it has(or could even be had by now) more subs, which would be my guess and isn't the same thing.

Back on topic and short answer, no.  Would be nice though, but preferably out of the hands of SOE.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Fangrim

Well it certainly wasn't an annoying pain in the ass.

Thats your perspective.

Jawas were just as annoying to me and on the same level as Ewoks. Luke's NOOOOOoooooooo at the end of ESB was just a whiney as Vaders at the end of RoS. A New Hope, was campy...it was MEANT to be campy. It was a tribute to 1930s serials and Errol Flynn movies thrown in with a hell of a lot of stolen ideas from Akira Kurosawa films, namely The Hidden Fortress.

Take off the blinders and see the movies for what they are...entertainment and nothing more.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I never played SWG (my brother did). I did however play SWTOR and hated it! I would like for there to come in the future a good and decent (and fun) star wars game. As to the resurrection of SWG, I don't think that's going to happen.

Originally posted by theJexster

In this day and age all it takes is enough people on the web and social sites making enough noise and anything can happen.

Exactly, 600 people emailed Smedley to resurrect EQmac, and he did it, as said here

SWG is a bit more complex, as LA is involved, so emails for SWG need to go to LA, and so would need a bit more push. I bet SOE would make it happen if LA gave them the green light.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I don't think so. SWG engine is too dated and a complete mess. Not worth purchasing the rights for. And for SOE SWG is in the past. If some company would be interested in creating a new SW MMO, it would be from scratch I expect. But this would be too soon after SWTOR.

/agree

It would have to be a new SW MMO that was not from either SOE or BW.

Probably have to have some elements like Battlefront in order to draw people in. Some sort of ThemeBox hybrid design, and probably a BTP model. It would need to be deep as well, RP and systems deep so that the IP is fleshed out and not dropped flat like in SWTOR.

There in lies the problem.

Whom out there would we the Star Wars Fan base trust to resurect the SW:G MMO?  Like them or hate them...SOE and Bioware are the top (ugh...I just threw up a little in my mouth) MMO Hosts right now due to the numbers game of Marketing.

EQ/EQ2/EQ Next/Planetside are popular still after all this time.....

WoW is still rocking the world of Paladins and Elves and such.

EvE is still the major King of the Space Game.

The only other Sci Fi MMO out there right now is Star Trek Online and lets be honest, Perpetual and the Perfect World Entertainment Group have ruined it for a lot of Trekkies even though it went F2P.

I have VOWED that if I manage a Huge powerball win...I'm going to call up LA and try to discuss a re-release after a re-design on a new Game Engine for SW:G...I figure 50m up front might get them to listen and probably do it.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I don't think TOR is a bad game. Just above mediocre. Pretty fun under the right circumstances.

Everyone is so eager to proclaim it dead, or a failure. Sorry, if it's still online it can't be dead, and if it still has a million subs it hasn't failed.

Originally posted by joocheese

I never played SWG (my brother did). I did however play SWTOR and hated it! I would like for there to come in the future a good and decent (and fun) star wars game. As to the resurrection of SWG, I don't think that's going to happen.

SWG is the best there will ever be. In this day and age they just can not seem to do the franchise justice, and with each incarnation it just gets worse and worse.

Resurrecting SWG is the simplest thing they could do, the code is already written, and just sitting on SOEs servers somewhere, so no need to go spend millions more creating another one, when all it will do is just fail.

Considering SWG was P2P, and all the stuff it made players endure, it was still doing quite well when they closed it. If it came back and went F2P, it will get loads of players, as it has loads of features that attract a wide range of players. It is like a mix of WOW (NGE version) + Minecraft + Sims City + The Sims + EVE

There is no game or MMO where you can create your city and fly around it, like here

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

Unfortunately, there is no chance of this happening.  The actual reasons being:

1. LucasArts would never sign off on allowing SOE to re-open the servers.  They chose to give license to EA/Bioware for SWTOR, and both LA and SOE had long planned to close SWG once SWTOR launched.  SOE was given the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars in lieu of the SWG license.

2. The disaster that came from the NGE was a massive black eye to both companies, and the failure is what actually led to LA tapping Bioware to make SWTOR (for better or worse).  Neither company would be at all willing to revisit the now-legendary embarrassment that SWG became.

3. There is likely a contractual agreement between LA and EA/BW that would prevent SWG from being reopened.  Outside of the Clone Wars, which is a F2P game aimed at children, there is likely a stipulation that LA is not allowed to license a competing Star Wars MMO to a company other than EA for a certain period of time, and re-opening SWG would likely violate that agreement.

Now, there may be other options that I'm not able to discuss on these forums, but there is no chance in hell that SOE will ever be firing the SWG servers back up.  In fact, it's quite likely that the SWG servers have either been scrubbed or scrapped altogether, negating any possibility of SOE ever reconstructing the game.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Looks more wow fans turned swtor fans supporting more shit products again!!!! Let's face it swtor is fecking crud !! They must have been on drugs when they thought that this kind of game had a place in the mmo genre !!! It is the worst and most half hearted attempt at the worlds most famous ip !! I'm disgusted in them for doing it and for them for how it turned out !! 5 years of development and it has little to no appeal to mmo gamers !! If they said swg returning in all its orriginal glory then yea I would play again! Only reason we have shit games like swtor, lotro, and wow is because you tards endorse the pretty scenematic trailers and get over excited about the numerous advertising scandals !!! Hype is the number one killer of games !!! Mainly because devs don't have the ability to create a game that's as good as the adverts they use to seLl them , or they spend more time with adverts to hawk their crap to us ..
  • djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by superniceguy

In this day and age all it takes is enough people on the web and social sites making enough noise and anything can happen.

Exactly, 600 people emailed Smedley to resurrect EQmac, and he did it, as said here

SWG is a bit more complex, as LA is involved, so emails for SWG need to go to LA, and so would need a bit more push. I bet SOE would make it happen if LA gave them the green light.

Get about 500,000 signatures on a petition and maybe LucasArts will take notice. Going forward I don't think LA is going to do anything MMO related unless you're going to start with over 1 million customers. They've seen what's possible in the MMO market and will not do anything unless the numbers rank towards top. Even with all of the support you see here, a relaunched SWG (an old, graphically outdated game) won't be successful enough to satisfy the IP egotists at LucasArts.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Yamota

SWG had 250-300k subscribers between 2003 and 2005 when NGE hit and the subs plummeted. And that number is really nice for pre-WoW era. Prior to that it was basically only EQ, FF XI and Lineage 1 that could beat those numbers.

Wrong on multiple accounts. SWG, just as other MMO's so it wasn't unique, started plummeting in subs as soon as EQ2 and WoW hit the scene. Heck, SWG devs themselves confirmed it that the plummeting of subs after those 2 arrived was the direct cause for the NGE, not the other way around. So no, it wasn't doing good or stable at all before NGE and before CU, just like other MMO's felt the effect in sub losses around the same time.

Which leads to the 2nd conclusion: more competition of AAA MMO's arriving meant other existing MMO's felt sub losses. The reason that MMO's in the first years had a stable sub base and knew increase was for the plain reason that the MMO market was slowly increasing, broadband internet and online gaming got slowly more common and there were only a handful of MMO's around, compared to the legion there is these days.

Originally posted by Karahandras

`

Back on topic and short answer, no.  Would be nice though, but preferably out of the hands of SOE.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you. But, the dev team that SWG had in the past couple of years was great.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Sure why not :)   

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

swtor IS not "so horrible,i quit playing becuase it lacked in the area i expect to be the important>>>COMBAT structure/depth.

If SWTOR had of put even a remote effort into the combat system, i would have been more than happy with the game.

When i usually do not like a game i pretty much erase it within the first hour ,yet  i played every class until around level 15-20 to try and get a real feel.

What i found was i am of no doubt this game was rushed out the door becuase it always had a dead line to meet,this is the problem working for EA.The players models were the obvious part and that took all but a few minutes to notice right away,the game uses the same two models for every class.That allows them far less effort and work to complete the game,lack of effort never sits with me.

However lame model use  aside i was still happy but the combat system was the most generic i have ever played or at least in a VERY long time.I was still leaning on the fence as to weather to at least play this game throguh one player but the cheap crafting again confirmed this game was rushed and lacked effort,so i gave up on the game.

IMO all this game needed was about another year of actual effort and it would have been a top 5 of all time for sure.Sqaure Enix has done it with FFXIV the ytook no money in return and put in the effort to improve the game,the problem is you will NEVER see  EA do that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by djmtott
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Get about 500,000 signatures on a petition and maybe LucasArts will take notice. Going forward I don't think LA is going to do anything MMO related unless you're going to start with over 1 million customers. They've seen what's possible in the MMO market and will not do anything unless the numbers rank towards top. Even with all of the support you see here, a relaunched SWG (an old, graphically outdated game) won't be successful enough to satisfy the IP egotists at LucasArts.

If it gets rereleased as F2P, I could see it getting millions of players. If Minecraft can, SWG certainly can. SWG is not just a game, there are loads of unique systems in it to get peoples creativity going - build a shopping mall / empire, build a city, explore the worlds and create your own pet, or buy one and nurture it.

Or just play the game with the many instances, quests, invasions, battlefields, heroics, theme parks etc just SWTOR

Minecraft would have gotten ignored too, if it had a monthly fee, like SWG had. One look at the graphics, and you think "what a load of crud" but millions still play it, and it got that way by being free to play.

EA are now even stomping all over the indie scene as stated here, so an old looking out dated game like Minecraft still sells well, and egotists like EA and LA are noticing this

Originally posted by KyBo

Unfortunately, there is no chance of this happening.  The actual reasons being:

1. LucasArts would never sign off on allowing SOE to re-open the servers.  They chose to give license to EA/Bioware for SWTOR, and both LA and SOE had long planned to close SWG once SWTOR launched.  SOE was given the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars in lieu of the SWG license.

2. The disaster that came from the NGE was a massive black eye to both companies, and the failure is what actually led to LA tapping Bioware to make SWTOR (for better or worse).  Neither company would be at all willing to revisit the now-legendary embarrassment that SWG became.

3. There is likely a contractual agreement between LA and EA/BW that would prevent SWG from being reopened.  Outside of the Clone Wars, which is a F2P game aimed at children, there is likely a stipulation that LA is not allowed to license a competing Star Wars MMO to a company other than EA for a certain period of time, and re-opening SWG would likely violate that agreement.

Now, there may be other options that I'm not able to discuss on these forums, but there is no chance in hell that SOE will ever be firing the SWG servers back up.  In fact, it's quite likely that the SWG servers have either been scrubbed or scrapped altogether, negating any possibility of SOE ever reconstructing the game.

Yeah true, but all that was before SWTOR being a flop became reality. If SWTOR sustained those 1.7 million subs, and in fact got more, they would be rolling in it, but from the looks of things, there looks to be about 400k subs now of ones guaranteed to be staying, with the rest cancelled waiting for the subs to run out, and even those 400K will probably quit once gotten all they can out of the game, as there is simply not much to do at level 50. There was plenty to do at max level in SWG.

They may need to do something to counter this unexpected decline of SWTOR.

For exmaple, If EA acquired SWG, and hosted it as F2P, but if you subbed to SWTOR you would get SWG VIP version, I would sub to SWTOR then, forvever and ever.

• BreitbartBreitbart Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Ecnali
    I'm sorta hoping that SOE and Lucas.Arts could come to some sort of reconciliation and bring back SWG. I was so terribly disappointed with SWTOR. 

The majority of mmo enthusiasts were disappointed in TOR also, being a cooperative online lobby-system rpg.  SWG wont come back though.  Bioware will play their posture of ignorance even after the game goes free-to-play, and spin it as a more accessible game-play model.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

To be honest though, the original queue combat system and lack of a vertical movement axis would not fly today. Pre-CU SWG would sink like a stone because of these two elements alone. The game would have to be remade.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

To be honest though, the original queue combat system and lack of a vertical movement axis would not fly today. Pre-CU SWG would sink like a stone because of these two elements alone. The game would have to be remade.

I agree with that. I would love to see Bethesda grab the SWG reins since they definitely know how to do sandbox.