Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ. A game mod better than all MMO's i've played in the last 5 years or so.

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ive watch all the sidestrife videos of gamemod DayZ it's awesome.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by Yamota
    Looks great but why do they have to go ape-shit hardcore and do perma-death. Why is everything in MMOs so black and white? Either super casual, ThemePark, linear crap or super-hardcore FFA PvP full loot, perma death. Can't there be a middle ground?

Well you don't have to play it nobody forcing you.

And not many games out there so i realy see why this game should not be with permadeath.

Its freaking awesome that this mod is made this way with realistic world in survival horror simulator with permadeath i love it.

Don't follow or play it if you don't like it ok:)

I realy hope they improve the mod with more buildings that you can enter or you can make your own shelter.

Also maybe some other zombie creators for diversity.

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Looks great but why do they have to go ape-shit hardcore and do perma-death. Why is everything in MMOs so black and white? Either super casual, ThemePark, linear crap or super-hardcore FFA PvP full loot, perma death. Can't there be a middle ground?

And not many games out there so i realy see why this game should not be with permadeath.

Its freaking awesome that this mod is made this way with realistic world in survival horror simulator with permadeath i love it.

Wow Classic, ease off!

Yamota is just stating that he'd like a game that is more "middleground". He was not ragbleeding on your DayZ.

And frankly, as I said I'm not fond of the permadeath idea especially if it then comes down to "You dead. Just make a new one"

I play MMORPGs because they are the closest thing to good ol' p&p RPGs on the PC, and yes, for me the character I had created, I cared for, was important. So, a game where permadeath reduces my character care to pretty much just a casual "let's roll toon #214...today", well, I think there are better ways to make things work.

But don't worry, as long as you are having fun with your DayZ everything is cool whip and peaches.

• KushmasterKushmaster Member Posts: 47

BIS actually stepped in and offered to help Rocket with modding.

The game is only in alpha or something, right? I'm sure they all have quite a bit in store for the future.

• vaeiouvaeiou Member Posts: 39

Imagine if this mod was more polished, or made for a different FPS game.  I'm super interested in DayZ but Arma2 costs $30.00 on steam ;_;

League of Legends | Guild Wars 2
    Follow me at:
    mostlygamingblog
    Twitter

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Goreson
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Wow Classic, ease off!

Yamota is just stating that he'd like a game that is more "middleground". He was not ragbleeding on your DayZ.

And frankly, as I said I'm not fond of the permadeath idea especially if it then comes down to "You dead. Just make a new one"

I play MMORPGs because they are the closest thing to good ol' p&p RPGs on the PC, and yes, for me the character I had created, I cared for, was important. So, a game where permadeath reduces my character care to pretty much just a casual "let's roll toon #214...today", well, I think there are better ways to make things work.

But don't worry, as long as you are having fun with your DayZ everything is cool whip and peaches.

I disagree about there being better ways...only different ways.  You can't create the type of experience the devs were shooting for without permadeath.  Take away permadeath and you have an entirely different experience, not necessarily a worse experience, or a better one, since that's subjective, but definitely different.

Anyway, I heard about this mod while doing research on copywrite issues and Hollywoods attempts to subvert public interest in favor of their own.  So it's getting exposure on websites that don't even have anything to do with gaming.  Sounds freakin awesome though, I may actually have to buy a steam game for the first time in ages.

It sorta reminds me of a better version of hardcore mode in Fallout:New Vegas.  Maybe a 3 year old game getting a mod that propels it to the top of Steam's sales list with no promotional discounts, will encourage more developers to take a risk on hardcore gameplay.

• WookieebobWookieebob Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by vaeiou

Imagine if this mod was more polished, or made for a different FPS game.  I'm super interested in DayZ but Arma2 costs $30.00 on steam ;_;

It's $15 on Amazon.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I don't doubt that it's a good game, with depth and providing tense gameplay.

I wonder, however, about the longevity. You spawn, try to survive, and sooner or later you get killed and that was it, you spawn again, try to survive ... I can see how that is good gameplay for a few weeks maybe, but I reckon that when you've done the cycle 10 times or so you move on.

Am I missing something?

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

how did I miss this wow!!!!

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

Originally posted by Larsa

I wonder, however, about the longevity. You spawn, try to survive, and sooner or later you get killed and that was it, you spawn again, try to survive ... I can see how that is good gameplay for a few weeks maybe, but I reckon that when you've done the cycle 10 times or so you move on.

Am I missing something?

Larsa, that is exactly how I feel. Chances are (very good I assume) that you don't have enough time to connect with your character.

Which IS important!

according to their website the average life expectancy is supposed to be 29 mins.

With just over 50,000 alive characters and just over .5 Mio created characters.

now, I'd actually be curious how long the game's been running... because if these numbers are correct the holding power of the mod is very limited.

Or to follow the data, on average the game will keep you going for 5 hrs thru 10 incarnations.

Which frankly I don't believe to be true but rather hype by the mod makers...

which now brings me to something that AticusWelles said "You can't create the type of experience the devs were shooting for without permadeath.  Take away permadeath and you have an entirely different experience, not necessarily a worse experience, or a better one, since that's subjective, but definitely different."

which I think is exactly where I think the modders are making their biggest mistake. Of course will the mod see a lot of "cyber tourism" - the "Let's see how tough this really is, bet I can make it" guys (and potentially gals) but once the hype is gone, you will either have a mod that turns out not so tough or a mod that is too fustrating for the "instant gratification gamer" - "fuck me, now I'm no my 6th toon in 4 hours and I haven't gotten really far and this all sucks and I'm out!" 

If on the other hand the modders were to really consider the type of person you are playing - You ARE a survivor! You are not one of the billions that died at the beginning of the outbreak.

Of course, you can still die... but assuming that you have learned your lession your chances are definitely better than that of the guy who got his dick bitten off (and shortly after pretty much everything else eaten) by a zombie when he went to the restroom. (Yes, I am thinking Zombieland, no matter how bad the movie actually is, it still holds a grain of "smarts": once you have learned how to survive you may actually survive!)

Now, get bitten by a zombie and the scenario is pretty much clearcut: you are better off dead. For the sake of all your buddies.

But from what I'm reading about the mod they have already damage systems in place that are more than your usual "you have just lost 47 HP, you now have 28 HP left": unconscious, sh ot in leg and you can't walk, too much pain brings on the shakes.

And I think it is exactly that which would drive the player: you die you just get a new toon. But what if you ended up crippled? Or hooked on morphine? I think THAT would be fucking scary!

But hey, that's just me... *shrug*

Am I missing something?

Larsa, that is exactly how I feel. Chances are (very good I assume) that you don't have enough time to connect with your character.

Which IS important!

according to their website the average life expectancy is supposed to be 29 mins.

With just over 50,000 alive characters and just over .5 Mio created characters.

now, I'd actually be curious how long the game's been running... because if these numbers are correct the holding power of the mod is very limited.

Or to follow the data, on average the game will keep you going for 5 hrs thru 10 incarnations.

Which frankly I don't believe to be true but rather hype by the mod makers...

which now brings me to something that AticusWelles said "You can't create the type of experience the devs were shooting for without permadeath.  Take away permadeath and you have an entirely different experience, not necessarily a worse experience, or a better one, since that's subjective, but definitely different."

which I think is exactly where I think the modders are making their biggest mistake. Of course will the mod see a lot of "cyber tourism" - the "Let's see how tough this really is, bet I can make it" guys (and potentially gals) but once the hype is gone, you will either have a mod that turns out not so tough or a mod that is too fustrating for the "instant gratification gamer" - "fuck me, now I'm no my 6th toon in 4 hours and I haven't gotten really far and this all sucks and I'm out!" 

If on the other hand the modders were to really consider the type of person you are playing - You ARE a survivor! You are not one of the billions that died at the beginning of the outbreak.

Of course, you can still die... but assuming that you have learned your lession your chances are definitely better than that of the guy who got his dick bitten off (and shortly after pretty much everything else eaten) by a zombie when he went to the restroom. (Yes, I am thinking Zombieland, no matter how bad the movie actually is, it still holds a grain of "smarts": once you have learned how to survive you may actually survive!)

Now, get bitten by a zombie and the scenario is pretty much clearcut: you are better off dead. For the sake of all your buddies.

But from what I'm reading about the mod they have already damage systems in place that are more than your usual "you have just lost 47 HP, you now have 28 HP left": unconscious, sh ot in leg and you can't walk, too much pain brings on the shakes.

And I think it is exactly that which would drive the player: you die you just get a new toon. But what if you ended up crippled? Or hooked on morphine? I think THAT would be fucking scary!

But hey, that's just me... *shrug*

Thing is, I don't believe he's shooting for longevity, or popularity, he's not trying to make millions of dollars and hook gamers for years.  He created an experience that he felt was missing from gaming today, an experience that he himself was looking for, and it just happens that it's caught on with a lot of other people looking for the same experience.

Perhaps another modder, developer, or publisher will pick up where he left off and make something more fitting to what you desire, while keeping the core ideas he brought to the table. 

But either way, he reminds me more of old school visionary developers who created games they themselves wanted to play, and not games that they thought could sell the most copies possible.  IMO That's what the gaming industry needs more of.  Especially in the virtual world department.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Am I missing something?

Which IS important!

I think I found the problem;

You crazy folks out there are confusing an FPS MOD for an MMO. I'm not going to argue semantics about how many people fit on a server at once (50 atm), but this is simply a take on the ARMA franchise with zombies. It's not meant to be anything else, at least atm.

All the characters are stock ones from the main game itself - if you wanted to connect with them, you'd have to play the single player to even get who they are.

Ya'll need to drop the MMO-baggage at the door and see this game for what it really is... an FPS MOD, not some end-all zombie MMO. Jesus...

"It is what it is because it's what it was meant to be."

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Is there some kind of built in voice chat too this? 

I only have to wonder because in one of the vidoes when the players were talking to each other I noticed their avatars mouths moving so I had to think it wasnt vent or something like it. 

Im just curious.

Originally posted by GTwander

Am I missing something?

Which IS important!

You crazy folks out there are confusing an FPS MOD for an MMO. I'm not going to argue semantics about how many people fit on a server at once (50 atm), but this is simply a take on the ARMA franchise with zombies. It's not meant to be anything else, at least atm.

All the characters are stock ones from the main game itself - if you wanted to connect with them, you'd have to play the single player to even get who they are.

Ya'll need to drop the MMO-baggage at the door and see this game for what it really is... an FPS MOD, not some end-all zombie MMO. Jesus...

see, and there it could already be more!

think simple Battlefield Heroes: it i far from being a MMORPG but you still connect with your character by a) getting him skills , and b) getting him gear. 

You want him to be the best looking loon out there that can shoot anybody's nuts off!

I'm not saying that the character's should be your very own, unique character concept (as we know it from MMO character creation) but he should still feel like being more than just some stock cardboard cutout that will die in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 with a wilhelm scream overlaid.

but on the other side, if it really is just about the quick flash of a hardcore gaming experience being given, well... *shrug* - too bad I guess...

• CitalkayCitalkay Member Posts: 141

Could someone answer this for me quickly? Sorry if someone already asked this D:

Does Dayz require only ARMA 2 and the Arrowhead expansion?

And! Would a torrented version of both games run on the server..?

And is there a difference between the ARMA from amazon Us and arma from the EU version? It's double the price for us in EU

Scratch that, "Game Downloads are only available to US customers"

Hope a torrented version of the game works..

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Params7

Its build on concepts no dev today would have the guts to try, but after experiencing this game I'm convinced permadeath is the future of RPG's.

Wanna bet against me on that? I'm looking for 100% guaranteed wins, and it seems like I finally found it.

Originally posted by Netspook

Its build on concepts no dev today would have the guts to try, but after experiencing this game I'm convinced permadeath is the future of RPG's.

Wanna bet against me on that? I'm looking for 100% guaranteed wins, and it seems like I finally found it.

Permadeath works when there is little investment in the character itself. Thusly, DayZ permadeath is likely a 'perfect' incarnation.

This game treats longevity as a high score, others do it for the sake of doing it - and that's stupid.

Am I missing something?

Which IS important!

think simple Battlefield Heroes: it i far from being a MMORPG but you still connect with your character by a) getting him skills , and b) getting him gear. 

You want him to be the best looking loon out there that can shoot anybody's nuts off!

I'm not saying that the character's should be your very own, unique character concept (as we know it from MMO character creation) but he should still feel like being more than just some stock cardboard cutout that will die in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 with a wilhelm scream overlaid.

but on the other side, if it really is just about the quick flash of a hardcore gaming experience being given, well... *shrug* - too bad I guess...

I guess I don't understand why it's "to bad"?  It's one guy creating an experience he was looking for, and he's proven there's certainly a market for that kind of experience.  Now hopefully others will pick up the baton and run with it and create some really great games.

Here's a great interview where he talks about why he created it, what he was thinking etc.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/12/for-the-love-of-pc-gaming-download-day-z-arma-2s-zombie-survival-mod/

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by citalkay

Could someone answer this for me quickly? Sorry if someone already asked this D:

Does Dayz require only ARMA 2 and the Arrowhead expansion?

And! Would a torrented version of both games run on the server..?

And is there a difference between the ARMA from amazon Us and arma from the EU version? It's double the price for us in EU

Scratch that, "Game Downloads are only available to US customers"

Hope a torrented version of the game works..

Operation Arrowhead is on http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/Arma-II-Operation-Arrowhead.html?currency=EUR for 9.49 euros and I heard you can get Arma 2 free somewhere, check spizz's thread.

Sorry, misread post.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Netspook

Permadeath works when there is little investment in the character itself. Thusly, DayZ permadeath is likely a 'perfect' incarnation.

This game treats longevity as a high score, others do it for the sake of doing it - and that's stupid.

Well, that's kinda my point. RPGs are almost always about a lot of investment, spending lots of time developing your toon. Permadeath forces you to start over from scratch. It may work in some games, but not in typical RPGs. Which is why I'm sure it's NOT "the future of RPGs".

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

You crazy folks out there are confusing an FPS MOD for an MMO. ...

Yes, very strange. Here you are on a forum called MMORPG.com and you find people crazy wanting MMORPG features. Crazy indeed.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

You crazy folks out there are confusing an FPS MOD for an MMO. ...

Yes, very strange. Here you are on a forum called MMORPG.com and you find people crazy wanting MMORPG features. Crazy indeed.

Then where is the usual argument that "This is not an MMO, why is it here?" at?

Too busy in the Diablo 3 section?

~Even the thread title says "A game MOD better than any MMO I  played..." and people are just throwing their expectations at it ahead of time.

• Don-QuixoteDon-Quixote Member Posts: 87

How come an MMO is more than an FPS mod?

Define more.

Also : in Battlefield Heroes you still connect with your character by a) getting him skills , and b) getting him gear.

Nah, in Battlefield Heroes I connected with my character in spite of a) and b), not because of it.

Playing DayZ I have felt more connected to my character than I have to any avatar I created in any MMO for the last 6 years. What I find this mod does is, because we are out in the wild alone (in the way he possibly represents me in the gameworld) I am more attached to my character.

I do not need to get some shiny armour for my character in order to feel connected to it.

I do not need to progress some skill-tree.

I do not need to go into instances in order to progress anything.

I do not need to get to a place late in the game where danger rears its head, because the whole concept of the game is to survive.

MMOs use these things sure, but not in order to make you feel connected to your character, but to represent a story within the game's limits, which is a different thing.

Why would anyone want to introduce MMO concepts into it?

I am dreading that with the boost in sales ARMA 2 is getting, a big publisher will buy the studio and ruin the experience. They will do exactly what you guys are asking:

(At the grey suits HQ):

- So lads, here we are with this game and the mod, what should we do?

- Let's get rid of the permadeath, we will broader the game's appeal.

- Let's include some instances filled with zombies and a couple of end-game raids against Rob Zombie.

- Hey, how about an auction house where players can sell the items they found in the island?

- Classes, we should put in some classes and some skill trees in there.

- Why there be no collectable companions in teh game, let's include them too!

- We could name the first expansion "Rise of the Elf zombies"!