Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EME Opens up The Cash Shop

Comments

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

who cares if a game have cash shop. is a shop that turn game a P2W game? no....so i dont see any problem. in fact i like this kind of shop, give more money to company invest in game to make it better in future.

oO

Its more like: Give more money to company using cash shop so they "improve" the cash shop after they realize cash shop is a sucess.

No way im going to give money to a company so they make a better game. Make a good game and THEN i give them some money.

In TERA case, they diserve the month fee, but i dont agree with cash shop in p2p game, no matter what game is. (unless little services like name change and server transfer).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by rexzshadow
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Expansion packs are usually a collection of interlinked playable content, delivering challanges, new systems, social adventures, and actual play.

Cash shops are usually just selling the reward, without the need to play.

Being a gamer and not a shopper in MMORPGs I tend to go for the former.

Expect other game have expansion and cash shop, case and point WoW.

There really is no 'except' to it... the fact that some games have Xpacks and Malls has nothing to do with why I prefer Xpacks to cash shops.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Exactly.etc....

But "again" there's very little evidence that these extra items would be in the game if it wasn't for these cash shops.

Wasn't in EQ, EQ II, Lord of the Rings, Lineage 2, Age of Conan, Vangaurd, Ryzom, and any number of games that were released.

This is kind of a vague argument to make Sov... :/

Why does that line of thinking even matter?

The fact is that it is in game rewards gated off from the player unless they pay extra money. In a sub game that just isn't acceptable to me.

As ever, Play to Achieve > Pay to Achieve.

GW2 is playing it the smartest... they let me fully play to achieve while letting the other guy pay pay pay.

I think it's important to note that I'm not dismissive of these concerns.

You want to see nerd rage (quietly and internally that is)?

You and me go to the movies and see me squirm with abject hate when the car commercials start rolling across the big screen.

One could easily say "ignore it - you don't have to buy the Lexus as it  tunes the 552 horsepower V10 engine of the LFA with the precision of a musical instrument. Discover what else is possible at WWW. etc etc.

But the reality is that many people dont' mind, car companies want to advertise and they have a captured audience and movie theaters want to make more money.

Game companies need to make more money. They just do. Heck, look at Curt Schilling's company, he wanted to make a more EQ like mmo, realized that mmo's need a lot of money to make, even released a single player game just to get an influx of cash and his company defaulted on a million dollar loan and things look a bit grim.

Let's not even talk about the "we need more sandbox games because those will make bank" arguments. Or the "we need soemthing totally different" arguments.

For better or worse game companies need more money and $15 per month isn't cutting it. It's been proven that cash shops work. And of course there's the horror of the whole f2p + cash shop model that lets people play for free while a smaller group foot the bill.

There is a whole generation of players who don't view these games with the sacrosanct attitudes that many on the forums show.

So people can (and should) stand by their principles and not play these games if they cross that line or come to terms that a happy medium is going to have to be reached.

So the time is now. Because I don't see the argument that "these things should be in game" really carrying any weight other than that's what people are clinging to. I get it. But that's not the reality at present.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TeekayTeekay Member Posts: 94

Warcraft is not a game to base what is acceptable in other games on.

You should probably try and stay as far away as possible from anything WoW does if you're trying to say your game is any good.

What WoW did right was have a great advertising campaign and enter at a great lull in the market and sustain that advertising through out their existance.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Teekay

Mythic is a company, it's aim is to make money, let's not be naieve about this. The way they made money was via subs and via expansions. Those expansions did indeed provide you with new more powerful items and yes they made you more competative.

I see you add expansion there. You have rationalized that they are okay.

• An expansion is content not available for the sub fee.
    • An expansion is made by diverting resources that your fifteen bucks paid for to create content to sell back to you.
    • Expansion content is only available to those who bought the expansion and often not otherwise available to those who did not.

Where's the difference other than one is a package and the other is individual items. Wait... the difference is that expansions often are the definition of pay-to-win.

The only argument that you have presented is that you have rationalized that expansions are okay, supporting it with the irrational statement that they aren't bad because they are bigger than individual purchases.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Zadawn
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa

who cares if a game have cash shop. is a shop that turn game a P2W game? no....so i dont see any problem. in fact i like this kind of shop, give more money to company invest in game to make it better in future.

The major problem is that once they get a taste of it and see it works,it is more likely they will add more,and then more.Sooner or later it will turn into a pay to win shop just like everyone one of them out there.

I can't say that's not impossible. It really will be a tug of war for a while.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I really like the weapon model variations, but it makes me wonder why that variety isn't in the game already.  Just seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot, charging $9.99 for things that would make the game better, if they were actually in the game for everyone.  That sort of variety is exactly what Tera desperately needs, and I'd bet they lose a lot more subs for not having it, than the cash shop sales can make up for.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Vhaln

I really like the weapon model variations, but it makes me wonder why that variety isn't in the game already.  Just seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot, charging $9.99 for things that would make the game better, if they were actually in the game for everyone.  That sort of variety is exactly what Tera desperately needs, and I'd bet they lose a lot more subs for not having it, than the cash shop sales can make up for.

I found the price a bit up there, as well, but it is all going to come down to how well they sell. If they sell well then it's obviously something players want and, more importantly, want at that price.

Your point about adding more variety into the game (as opposed to the cash shop) is a very valid one, though. As this is version of TERA is being sold to the NA/EU audience, this kind of customization could possibly be a great selling point for the game if it was an existing part of the game and not a premium item. It seems like a better approach would have been to add a set of standard skins to the game and then put over-the-top premium stuff in the store.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I found the price a bit up there, as well, but it is all going to come down to how well they sell. If they sell well then it's obviously something players want and, more importantly, want at that price.

Your point about adding more variety into the game (as opposed to the cash shop) is a very valid one, though. As this is version of TERA is being sold to the NA/EU audience, this kind of customization could possibly be a great selling point for the game if it was an existing part of the game and not a premium item. It seems like a better approach would have been to add a set of standard skins to the game and then put over-the-top premium stuff in the store.

The reason I believe Vanity wasn't in the game already is in fact it is in the game already, and it always was, the only thing is that they wanted to Nickel and Dime people. I have no problem purchasing Expansions or additional vanity items, however I should be able to change my hairs , skins, and any detail about my character in game for free without having to pay $9.99 for it each and every single time.

When I logged into Tera I notice there was no update either which kinda makes me wonder why the developers had it there already and then decide to tell everyone today about it.

I am pissed and Cancel my sub that is all there is to it I will not stick around in a game with a dishonest company, and I hope a lot of others do at least enough to put a dent in their pockets, and by dishonest I was lead to believe by GameStop I would have access to full customizations, and that I believed that I would be able to customize later down the road without having to constantly pay cash to do it. By dishonest I was lead to believe it would be Pay 2 Play, not Pay Extra to enjoy or Pay 2 Win. Unlike Diablo 3, and Guild Wars which have announced about a cash shop Enmasse did not.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Renoaku

The reason I believe Vanity wasn't in the game already is in fact it is in the game already, and it always was, the only thing is that they wanted to Nickel and Dime people. I have no problem purchasing Expansions or additional vanity items, however I should be able to change my hairs , skins, and any detail about my character in game for free without having to pay $9.99 for it each and every single time.

When I logged into Tera I notice there was no update either which kinda makes me wonder why the developers had it there already and then decide to tell everyone today about it.

I am pissed and Cancel my sub that is all there is to it I will not stick around in a game with a dishonest company, and I hope a lot of others do at least enough to put a dent in their pockets, and by dishonest I was lead to believe by GameStop I would have access to full customizations, and that I believed that I would be able to customize later down the road without having to constantly pay cash to do it. By dishonest I was lead to believe it would be Pay 2 Play, not Pay Extra to enjoy or Pay 2 Win. Unlike Diablo 3, and Guild Wars which have announced about a cash shop Enmasse did not.

Thats gamestop's fault for lying to you not EME, no where did EME ever stat that you will be able to recustomize your character after you made it. You had access to full customization wh en you made your character. Also it was on the new that premiun store is up if you bother to read and its on the launcher as well.

mmm where the fuck you been? Pretty much most P2P game all offer almost the exact same service for roughly the same price, also KTera also has a cash shop and EME already said they were going to deal with launch first than cash shop. No where did they EVER state that there will be no cash shop. Company isn't dishonest, you just didn't bother to do any research.

Also why would you need update for cash shop? Those skin have already been in the game since day 1, the other service such as name change/look change/race change are already part of the game in character creation, why would you ever need a update for that?

• BeenGamingBeenGaming Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by BeenGaming

I am confused as to how a cash shop that offers items that are clearly poor investments and provide no advantage to gameplay is an issue. If you feel like frivolously spending some money on whatever fictional goods they're selling, so be it. If you're not interested in that, then don't.

You would need the willpower of a three year old for this to feel threatening to you in some way. Christ only knows how you manage to contain yourself near a checkout line.

The truth is many don't. Impulse buying works for a reason, which ofc is exactly whay they stack crap near checkouts.

You seem to assume that everyone out there has the same decision making capabilities or psychological make up as you, and if they don't... screw 'em? Who needs to look out for the vulnerable anyhow, I'm doing just fine, right?

That attitude could also be examined I guess... it could be said to show signs of low level autism or be indicative of sociopathic tendencies.

I am not saying you are either of these things, I don't know you, but see how easy it would be to make harsh observations of others?

My personal view is that box+sub+expacks+cash shop is over a line and just smacks of greed and is looking to exploit the vulnerable and addicted.

You seem to have misinterpreted my post's deliberate intent doubly by first overlooking the fact that I candidly accept that some people simply desire the goods and pay for them regardless of how frivolous they are (which is their right as a consumer), and then furthermore by interpreting my comment about weak-willed consumerism as being generally damning of people who like to impulse shop.

You seem to have made the enormous leap to supplanting some of your own reactionary personality into my otherwise fairly benign post. While I couldn't say how much cross-over there is between sociopathy and the autistic spectrum (which as of yet is a generally grey area everywhere except on the internet), I would think that your inability to read a short opinion of another person without leaping to the not so subtle nor original mention of autism is perhaps indicative of your terminally boring personality.

Also you're smugly accusing a business of greed (despite the fact that no arms are being twisted) which becomes considerably less endearing after you grow up.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

It's not a issue as of now.

In K-Tera they have a kinda p2w cash shop where you can buy cosmetic items and get rewarded with t-cat coins.

And with t-cat coins you buy nice gameplay advantages.

As long as they don't bring the t-cat coins here to the West it's fine.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

1) They did announce plans for a cash shop, early on. Be more thorough with your own research before blaming others.

2) Gamestop led you to believe that, not En Masse. You believed Gamestop, that was your fatal flaw. Be more thorough with your own research before blaming others.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

If you look at the weapon skins, they are all goofy, KTERA has even more like stuffed bears and giant wrenches.

I am going to have to say I agree with Savroth as these probably would have never been in the game without a cash shop, they don't follow the regular designs of any other weapons, they are just gimmicky, awful looking weapons.

That being said, why do you blame EME? It has been and always will be the playerbase, I've already seen a bunch of people in game with this disgusting looking skins, look how many millions WoW makes whenever they release a mount?

What company would be stupid enough not to put cosmetics in a shop at this point especially considering reading the general discussion in TERA there's more people defending it than against it. It's the day and age of consumerism and people will pay for anything that's thrown in their face.

It can't be helped and it will only get worse, GW2 will make a killing off their cash shop, just like WoW makes tons off theirs and TERA is making a lot off theirs right now, Aion went f2p with shop and is making more as well. There really is no way to stop this sadly.

Originally posted by otacu

It's not a issue as of now.

In K-Tera they have a kinda p2w cash shop where you can buy cosmetic items and get rewarded with t-cat coins.

And with t-cat coins you buy nice gameplay advantages.

As long as they don't bring the t-cat coins here to the West it's fine.

Not really P2W in Korea but if they were in the NA verison it would be. Because only thing that could be consider P2W is the auto rez and prevent crystal from breaking. In Korea they still boxes to reroll unless crystal to useful ones so crystal is much easier to get thus its more convience than P2W where in NA its super hard to get good crystal. And Koreans don't OWPVP much so auto rez scroll won't really matter that much anways. Crystal protection in NA? its meh kinda bad but its no like the point ot make people run but Auto res? If they put that in I'm forming a mob outside EME HQ with pitch fork and torches.

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion

And so the Moderator starts to lock like Dozens of multiple topics related to the same issue except one, I wonder if they finally get the message that quite a few of us are unhappy with the CashShop or at least certain parts of it.

• Mike_LMike_L Member UncommonPosts: 72

I paid for the game and I REALLY feel f*cked over by this En Masse shop. There's NO CHANCE in hell I'm going from my trial to recurring.

I might even charge back my money. Stuff like this really pisses me off.

If it ain't dead you're not pressing 2 hard enough.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Mike_L

I paid for the game and I REALLY feel f*cked over by this En Masse shop. There's NO CHANCE in hell I'm going from my trial to recurring.

I might even charge back my money. Stuff like this really pisses me off.

Actually if you read the TERMS OF SERVICE when you signed up, who does that?

You would have known they stated they would be implementing a novelty shop before you purchased anything.

Well GameStop or not Enmasse is responsible for the advertising of their game, and I was told the game had high customization even when reading their forums, never did Enmasse actually confirm to me that they would be sticking in a cash shop, I asked them they never said anything.

Even if that could not be complained about I find that there was no official announcement about a Vanity Shop telling me that I would have to pay $9.99 USD per character change, and in their agreement it says something like you agree to the use of the Manual, not that I agree by using the Key which activated my game account so Enmasse really needs to learn how to write an agreement before they send out their retail package.

Anyways quite a few people are angry at Enmasse for the Cash Shop, I just want to be able to freely customize my character without having to constantly pay for each and every single change, and if they can't do it then I am going to find valid reasons and do some research to complain to the BBB & such, and really at this point I am not playing the game anyways so why would I care if they ban my account for complaining it would just show the player base how bad this company really is with management.

Instead of Enmasse just sticking in Vanity shop items they should have asked the community what they wanted first for the major changes like require $9.99 USD fee to customize a character that is a major change, or requirement which is a key feature of the game.

Also the funny thing is I was enver presented a Terms OF Service, I was given a manual that said by using this game I agree to the Manual, not the games Terms OF Service, and I will use that as a LoopHole when I file my complaints they need to get their wording correctly.

It says, and I quote

"Your Use of this manual is governed by the Tera End User License Agreement (EULA) located at http://tera.enmasse.com Your use of this manual constitues your acceptance to the terms of the EULA."

( So from what I understand my use of the manual, not the key I used to activate my game was bound to the agreement, I also did go to that website and I saw no agreement they didn't tell me i had to click some other links to get to it, so therefore they are in the wrong.)

Therefore I never actually agreed to anything period the most they can do is ban my account, however I will make it clear when I file my complaints that I was never presented an agreement or agreed to anything they have no valid signature ;).

Maybe I am just dumb and don't understand their agreement but its their job to make sure the user or buyer can fully read and understand the agreement clearly.

And so the Moderator starts to lock like Dozens of multiple topics related to the same issue except one, I wonder if they finally get the message that quite a few of us are unhappy with the CashShop or at least certain parts of it.

It doesn't really matter it's a small minority.

Please read the article. This is somewhat similair to what Turbine discovered with DDO and later LOTRO:

I'll post it again thanks to Loktofeit:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33371/GDC_2011_Perfecting_The_FreeToPlay_Battlefield_Heroes.php

If you bother reading most of the post are people who support the premiun shops, and if yo look at the thread that was a petition to remove it has more -1 thand +1 posts.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Teekay

Mythic is a company, it's aim is to make money, let's not be naieve about this. The way they made money was via subs and via expansions. Those expansions did indeed provide you with new more powerful items and yes they made you more competative.

I see you add expansion there. You have rationalized that they are okay.

• An expansion is content not available for the sub fee.
    • An expansion is made by diverting resources that your fifteen bucks paid for to create content to sell back to you.
    • Expansion content is only available to those who bought the expansion and often not otherwise available to those who did not.

Where's the difference other than one is a package and the other is individual items. Wait... the difference is that expansions often are the definition of pay-to-win.

The only argument that you have presented is that you have rationalized that expansions are okay, supporting it with the irrational statement that they aren't bad because they are bigger than individual purchases.

The difference lies in the sheer amount of content per dollar in an xpack (usually) compared to a seperate cash shop item, if we take wow for example a sparkly pony mount costs 25 dollars.. while an expack costs 40 which contains over 10 mounts a slew of pets not to mention the increased lvl cap new dungeons raids yadayada but even on mounts alone it beats it by far in terms of value per currency.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well GameStop or not Enmasse is responsible for the advertising of their game, and I was told the game had high customization even when reading their forums, never did Enmasse actually confirm to me that they would be sticking in a cash shop, I asked them they never said anything.

Even if that could not be complained about I find that there was no official announcement about a Vanity Shop telling me that I would have to pay $9.99 USD per character change, and in their agreement it says something like you agree to the use of the Manual, not that I agree by using the Key which activated my game account so Enmasse really needs to learn how to write an agreement before they send out their retail package.

Anyways quite a few people are angry at Enmasse for the Cash Shop, I just want to be able to freely customize my character without having to constantly pay for each and every single change, and if they can't do it then I am going to find valid reasons and do some research to complain to the BBB & such, and really at this point I am not playing the game anyways so why would I care if they ban my account for complaining it would just show the player base how bad this company really is with management.

Instead of Enmasse just sticking in Vanity shop items they should have asked the community what they wanted first for the major changes like require $9.99 USD fee to customize a character that is a major change, or requirement which is a key feature of the game.

Also the funny thing is I was enver presented a Terms OF Service, I was given a manual that said by using this game I agree to the Manual, not the games Terms OF Service, and I will use that as a LoopHole when I file my complaints they need to get their wording correctly.

It says, and I quote

"Your Use of this manual is governed by the Tera End User License Agreement (EULA) located at http://tera.enmasse.com Your use of this manual constitues your acceptance to the terms of the EULA."

( So from what I understand my use of the manual, not the key I used to activate my game was bound to the agreement, I also did go to that website and I saw no agreement they didn't tell me i had to click some other links to get to it, so therefore they are in the wrong.)

Therefore I never actually agreed to anything period the most they can do is ban my account, however I will make it clear when I file my complaints that I was never presented an agreement or agreed to anything they have no valid signature ;).

Maybe I am just dumb and don't understand their agreement but its their job to make sure the user or buyer can fully read and understand the agreement clearly.

Careful, you're awfully close to the truth here, or at least this is how your coming off with all of this mock outrage over something so slight.

Let it go, this is a video game, and your complaint is insignifcant.  There are more important causes in the world worth fighting for, this isn't one of them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

What's pathetic is they will likely offer ways to get cosmetic stuff in game  (if there isn't already)....but because it's not the exact thing offered in the store...people will still bitch.

e.g If you could get a Slayer weapon skin that looks just like the mace in the store except it is slightly lighter brown and has a hawkhead instead of a skull...people would still complain because they can't get the exact one in the store unless they pay $9.99.

Oh..well.

Stale thread is stale.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by BarCrow

What's pathetic is they will likely offer ways to get cosmetic stuff in game  (if there isn't already)....but because it's not the exact thing offered in the store...people will still bitch.

e.g If you could get a Slayer weapon skin that looks just like the mace in the store except it is slightly lighter brown and has a hawkhead instead of a skull...people would still complain because they can't get the exact one in the store unless they pay $9.99.

Oh..well.

Stale thread is stale.

on GW2 everything that is on shop can be buy with in game gold still you see some people complain about silly things. people are like that, need something to discuss.

and discuss about cosmetic items for me is just....mehh. cosmetics items really? LOOL.