Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514: Beta Registration Open

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

CCP Games has announced that beta registrations for DUST 514 are now being taken on the official site. EVE players and attendees at this year's FanFest will have preferential access but all registrants have the potential to be included in the ever-increasing number of beta players.

If accepted, beta registrants will be notified with an email invitation and instructions on how to access the beta. Thousands of players have already been able to experience DUST 514 during its closed beta, and CCP is beginning to let limited numbers of players join the action. Select players from CCP's MMO EVE Online will gain entry into the DUST 514 beta this week, as well as all those who attended the EVE Fanfest convention in Iceland this past March. The beta will continue to expand throughout the summer, and CCP will discuss more details at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3).

Register on the DUST 514 site though at the moment a database error is presenting itself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheDorTheDor Member UncommonPosts: 84
    The registration site isn't working for me right now.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Its so stupid that this game is only in the PS3! I want to play it in my PC!!!! :(

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Dust should have been a PC game.  We could use a new quality PC shooter right now and PC gamers have come to expect more as far as metagame goes than PS3 players who could care less about EVE Online.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by LoboMau

Its so stupid that this game is only in the PS3! I want to play it in my PC!!!! :(

all i can say is i think the whole PS3 thing is a fail of EPIC proportions, and while i was very interested in Dust514, there is not a chance in hell that i would purchase a PS3 on the strength of it.. It makes absolutely no sense at all to have it as a PS3 exclusive, as by now it should be abundantly clear to anyone, that even on a sales basis, Xbox games outsell PS3 versions by  a factor of at least 2:1 .. not that i'd buy an Xbox to play the game either, im not a fan of consoles in any way shape or form, I have a PC which is far superior to any existing console and its likely to remain so..  maybe they'll develop a PS3 emulator for the PC.. not like it can't handle it image

so i'll say it now, Huge flop incoming..  .. and yes i am a long time Eve player, have been since feb 2004..  and i seriously doubt im the only Eve player to have some serious doubts about Dust 514.image

• KushmasterKushmaster Member Posts: 47

Well HELL yeah. Makes me glad to own a PS3. You can always count on PlayStation to have great games.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I'm an EVE player, and I LOL at the haters.

Can't wait for this game.  Unlike the elitist, lolz my pc is better crowd, I own a PS3, love my PS3, so much in fact that I gave my 360 away.  I look forward to playing this PS3 exclusive on my wonderful PS3 console; with a controller, and my G15 keyboard plugged into my super awesome PS3 so I can type to people.

BTW, a PS3 game may not sell as well as an Xbox game, but a PS3 game sure sells more then PC games.  Doh!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Uhwop

Can't wait for this game.  Unlike the elitist, lolz my pc is better crowd, I own a PS3, love my PS3, so much in fact that I gave my 360 away.  I look forward to playing this PS3 exclusive on my wonderful PS3 console; with a controller, and my G15 keyboard plugged into my super awesome PS3 so I can type to people.

BTW, a PS3 game may not sell as well as an Xbox game, but a PS3 game sure sells more then PC games.  Doh!

The point wasnt that it should be on the PC and not on the PS3, but that it is on the PS3  and on no other platform, since the PS3 platform is a fairly small one, never mind that its larger than the PC platform - although not by much judging by the sales figures, by deliberately limiting the game to a single platform, means that the game has less chance of success, by a significant margin. Even from a business standpoint, or i should say, especially from a business standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense. I may as well say I TOLD YOU SO, now, because i think its pretty clear what will become of this game.image

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I'm sure it will be a great game, but the PS3 thing is pure idiocy.  I know CCP wants to bring in an entirely new market to the EVE universe but...  I'm really not sure how many PS3 gamers have ever even heard of EVE.  I am an EVE player and I do not own a PS3.  I will not be purchasing a PS3, so I will not be playing Dust.  Had it come out on PC i would have bought it for sure.   I predict a fail but whatever, I'll just play Planetside 2 instead. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

they must of  made one sweet deal with sony to not bring this to the pc 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Uhwop

The point wasnt that it should be on the PC and not on the PS3, but that it is on the PS3  and on no other platform, since the PS3 platform is a fairly small one, never mind that its larger than the PC platform - although not by much judging by the sales figures, by deliberately limiting the game to a single platform, means that the game has less chance of success, by a significant margin. Even from a business standpoint, or i should say, especially from a business standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense. I may as well say I TOLD YOU SO, now, because i think its pretty clear what will become of this game.image

I would ask that you take one second, and consider your logic here.

In one post you call out potential sales compared to the xbox.  Then you say it shouldn't be on the PS3 at all?  It's pretty safe to assume that even a PS3 exlusive title is going to sell more copies then a game that is PC only.  It's just the nature of video games, more people are playing on a console, any console, then they are PC.  11/2011 saw over a 50% increase in PC sales, due to ONLY 2 games, "primarilly".  That doesn't happen on any console.

Let's see.  F2P shooter, with possibly only a box cost, connected to the EVE universe, were your actions will have a direct impact on taht universe, were people in the internet spaceship game can have a direct impact on the PS3 shooter game, and not have to worry about whether or not some people have an advantage because they use a mouse and keyboard over a controller, were it's harder to hack the game, and were you have a broader audience.

Not to mention CCP having clearly stated that the goal is to get people who aren't familliar, or couldn't get into the internet spaceship part of the EVE universe, into the EVE universe.

You can I told you so all you like, I don't fall for psyics and fortune tellers, they're just con artists.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

well i love EvE...

I recall long ago i bought an xbox just to play Futurama- and Judge dredd. ats all i used it for. had pc for my mmo games.

If you have the cash, just buy a ps3 just for this game- see it as a 'passport' to play your eve character on  terrain.

makes up for all the FREE expansions youve been getting through the years in eveonline.

<.<

Epic Fail-perhaps but i will never know.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Also, worth noting, if memory serves CCP did try to also get it on the Xbox, but Microsoft wasn't willing to agree on who would control the servers (or some other technical aspect like that). In the end, Microsoft declined the option, a.k.a. it was MICROSOFT, not CCP, that completely shut down the possibility of this going to the Xbox. The PS3 is the only other console that is powerful enough to handle the game, therefore they had to go PS3 exclusive.

And also, keep in mind, right at the start of development CCP had the goal of breaking into a completely different customer market, the console gamers. They already have a game in the PC market (obviously), they are directly trying to expand their horizons. If Dust does well on the PS3 I can definitely see it getting ported to the PC. Either way, I'm looking forward to it myself.

Where's the any key?

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

People always get this backwards.

Dust 514 is not about bringing console players into the EVE universe, it's about CCP branching into the console market.  Dust 514 isn't being developed for PC because CCP already has a PC game.

One day years ago, CCPs executives decided they wanted to create a console branch.  The senior producers took a look at all the possible genres to develop and decided on a FPS.  It was at that point they decided to leverage their existing IP, and then listened to "that guy" who said "wouldn't it be cool if the console game could interact with EVE!"

The Sony thing was apparently the best available choice, given Microsoft is apparently difficult to work with (and frankly, the PS3 is the better machine - that may have had something to do with it). 

While I'm sure there will be some cross-over from EVE players.  DUST is all about CCP making a name in the console market - they want to bring in brand new customers, not just milk more money out of their existing PC customers.

• sc1ronsc1ron Member Posts: 8

Is everyone on this thread forgetting that Planetside 2 is coming out on the PC? Do you know who develops Planetside 2?  If you can figure that little bit out maybe you might understand why its a ps3 exclusive at launch.  Expect it to hit the PC in the coming months.  Its already has keyboard/mouse support on the ps3 and connects to the CCP (Not SOE) servers.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I agree up to a point. However, it's easier to have DUST on PS3 and Eve running on your PC at the same time - this would enable a more co-ordinated orbital bombardment.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I agree up to a point. However, it's easier to have DUST on PS3 and Eve running on your PC at the same time - this would enable a more co-ordinated orbital bombardment.

This is CCP's plan they want you to have them both running at the same time. hence no fee for dust.

and OMg unnecesarry console hate.. get a life please.

• KyuzoS8KyuzoS8 Member Posts: 13

wait this game is only for the ps3? what... why noob company's thinking haveing the game on 1 platfoarm is smart.

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by KyuzoS8

wait this game is only for the ps3? what... why noob company's thinking haveing the game on 1 platfoarm is smart.

Because this will interact with the PC universe of EVE, they might be able to combine all gaming ports. but companys would have to agree to that.

This issnt just a shooter..... This is no CoD

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by xeniar
    Originally posted by KyuzoS8

This issnt just a shooter..... This is no CoD

+1

i respect CCP descicion togo with ps3- they need a seemless graphic console to use for this game.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Thank you MMORPG for this reminder.  Signed up and am looking forward to the opportunity.

I was just telling some people who haven't heard of this game and its concept yesterday.  If CCP can pull this off, (PC MMORPG interacting with a console FPS in a meaningful way) they will have truely pushed the bar higher and set a new standard.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

hehe CCP already suppose that future users have a PC and a PS3

BestSigEver :P

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by cosy

hehe CCP already suppose that future users have a PC and a PS3

I do...but that is besides the point as I will not be playing Eve.

• TLa77TLa77 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

Dust should have been a PC game.  We could use a new quality PC shooter right now and PC gamers have come to expect more as far as metagame goes than PS3 players who could care less about EVE Online.

Well, how about waiting or testing the Firefall? They're inviting people quite fast in recently.

I've been at the beta test some time now and I must admit that the game is looking really promising, even with quite limited content at the beta phase 1.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor with Antec Kühler 920 liquid cooling
    Memory: 2x4 Gb Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
    GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1 Gb TOP
    Enclosure: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
    PSU: Enermax MODU82+ 625W
    No rotating HDD at my mouse at all, all goes on SSD.

• killkoolkillkool Member UncommonPosts: 83

We both my gf and I play Eve i not so fanatic any more as she. But as on PC outcomes i buy it if stays an console game we buy it not we have 6 accounts on EVE. I have played Eve since may 2003. The last patch for EVE was disaster for POS players it now is guessing which compeling array too set on they all look the same now. Every change is not an improvement.

AK

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I do get why this is on PS3.  I will play it because I prefer shoot em ups on PS3 and not my PC.  Plus for EVE players, if they are on the PC won't they be playing EVE???