Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Chugs in Combat and Quest Turn Ins

baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

Anyone have this experience? I get a solid FPS through the open world and in instances - 50-70FPS. But when I get into combat, things slow way down. I have been told this may be network lag. Bosses get choppy, regular mobs get choppy - 1v1 pvp gets choppy.  This isn't always but it does happen a good amount of the time.

I also get about a half second delay when turnign in quests and about a 2 second delay when turning in a quests levels a toon. And sometimes on when first getting onto the pegasus to travel.

I have tried lowering the settings to almost ridiculous levels, and still the same thing. I get solid FPS until combat starts.

My cpu is decent - i7 920 at 2.67 12 gigs of ram at 1600 and a 480gtx card. It is not a beast at all any more, but it runs the game so well other than at the times listed above that I am hoping for a tweak that will unlock the fps - especially in combat.

Someone please make a good MMO.

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by baritone3k

Anyone have this experience? I get a solid FPS through the open world and in instances - 50-70FPS. But when I get into combat, things slow way down. I have been told this may be network lag. Bosses get choppy, regular mobs get choppy - 1v1 pvp gets choppy.  This isn't always but it does happen a good amount of the time.

I also get about a half second delay when turnign in quests and about a 2 second delay when turning in a quests levels a toon. And sometimes on when first getting onto the pegasus to travel.

I have tried lowering the settings to almost ridiculous levels, and still the same thing. I get solid FPS until combat starts.

My cpu is decent - i7 920 at 2.67 12 gigs of ram at 1600 and a 480gtx card. It is not a beast at all any more, but it runs the game so well other than at the times listed above that I am hoping for a tweak that will unlock the fps - especially in combat.

your computer specs are way better than mine and i dont experience any of those problems. the only time i get any kind of lag is when i go in the main citys with lots of people around and i figure thats because i only have 2 gigs of ram right now.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

Beats both my computers and I don't have that issue.  You might investigate your internet connection or try a full uninstall reinstall.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Doesnt sound like network lag,  have you tried it with your sound off?  Not sure theres an option to turn off sound now that I think about it.   slow hard drive or something using hard drive activity may cause delays for sounds first playing but after that I would think they would be in memory so shouldnt happen everytime when turning in back to back quests.   Something else using ur cpu processing?   You could try to disable the fps smoothing see if that helps if you google: Tera unreal engine ini

you may be able to find something you can change to help.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

no problems here either,i run it on max settings even in groups and with all the fighting animations and such and it does,nt slow for a second.

• Temp1234Temp1234 Member UncommonPosts: 47

You might get better performance if you overclock your cpu a bit. Seems a little bit low in relation to your gpu and might be bottlenecking. Also make sure all your drivers are up to date, monitor, gpu, audio, chipset even etc. You could also tweak it a bit since it uses the unreal engine, some of the settings you're able to disable with little to no visual difference in the .ini. Try disabling shadows as its very cpu heavy. You should be getting better fps than that, im running a i5 760 @ 3.8ghz with a 560ti gtx and i get around 80-110 after tweaking. Theres also a feature in the game that actually caps your max fps at 80, try playing around with that.

Goodluck

-temp

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I have a great computer but sometimes I get this. I have noticed that it's worse on the wireless so plugging in an ethernet cable seems to solve it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

I have been pugged into an ethernet cable already.

I had been playing on what I had downloaded during Closed Beta - hopefully there was a glitch in there. I love this game, and I want it to run smoothly.

I am reinstalling now. I will check back in with results.

Thanks for all the responses!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

You may want to check your heatsink. I know it sounds dumb but if it is full of dust then the processor heats up and things will slow down. I'm not saying your computer is dirty just an idea! :D

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

I think it might be something with the UI.  I had smooth performance since the closed betas until a day or so ago when I tried to adjust the size of my chatbox while I was autorunning.  It knocked my 60+ fps down to the teens.  I tried this several times in different places just to make sure it was just not a fluke.  It happens every time.  It really is something up with the UI.  Just cannot say exactly what though.

I'm sporting an I7 2600k @ 4.6, a 570 with a slight OC, 8 gigs of ram.  It only slows when I change the size of the chat.  The UI might be slowing you down when it updates the hotbars.

BOOYAKA!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I have a somewhat low rent gaming laptop ($900.00 range last year) and it doesn't seem to have the issues you are describing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Amjoco

You may want to check your heatsink. I know it sounds dumb but if it is full of dust then the processor heats up and things will slow down. I'm not saying your computer is dirty just an idea! :D

This^^^ 

Or you need to update ALL of your drivers. 

My computer runs the game smooth except 1 lag spike I get every 2 hours.( and it only lasts half a second)

Also my computer really isnt that good- and I play Tera on High settings NOT MAXED.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 555 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

4096MB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Display Memory: 2806 MB
       Dedicated Memory: 1014 MB
          Shared Memory: 1791 MB

Update - as it will take a few hours to reinstall, I am going to do that overnight.

I switched into Windowed mode, and the game can't hande it. It is automatically stretching the window to the full size of my desktop, and I can't shrink it down. That is another quirk I am deaing with. Fullscreen is fine, but Fullscreen Windowed and Windowed don't work correctly.

I did this to run the Resource Monitor and check it. The Disk and Network areas keep spiking to the top. I think that is the problem.

CPU is below 30%, Memory doesn't even show up lolz. I have tons of Memory. But Disk and Network hit the ceiling then drop again.

I am running a Intl 320 Series SSD. My My motherboard is a P6t with a builtin ethernet adapter.

Do you think it's just my connection?

I have tried the game from both my HDs (I have 2 of the same SSDs installed right now. I would hate to find out that BOTH of my SSDs suck. I have had one for a while and the other is only a couple months old.

• mambomemambome Member Posts: 16

I get the hiccup when I level, but only then. Everything else runs smoothly for me, but my system is a bit better. 

I would DEFINITELY check your audio driver. You'd be amazed at how badly sounds can mess up your system.

Originally posted by mambome

I get the hiccup when I level, but only then. Everything else runs smoothly for me, but my system is a bit better. 

I would DEFINITELY check your audio driver. You'd be amazed at how badly sounds can mess up your system.

I just went through the drivers and they are all up to date...

Hopefully the full reinstall will do it. I will get that done tonight.

NETWORK ADAPTER - Updated drivers. Working fine now.

TY ALL!

It was a DUH solution.... I updated Audio and it didn't help. Then I got my head out of my ass and went to the Network Adapter.

TY again!

• mambomemambome Member Posts: 16

Glad to hear it.

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

Glad to hear it!!! Thats why I said ALL your drivers :)

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

my game slows down heavily when i have the trainer buy skill window open but never anytime else beyond the freeze/hiccups in velika

• CeromusCeromus Member UncommonPosts: 114

NETWORK ADAPTER - Updated drivers. Working fine now.

TY ALL!

It was a DUH solution.... I updated Audio and it didn't help. Then I got my head out of my ass and went to the Network Adapter.

TY again!

Anytime a network driver is causing something I can't explain its a realtek network card.  Is yours a realtek?