Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Preparations Didn't Go Far Enough

2»

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Harafnir

Rubberbandning in a singleplayer game... New record of stupidity

Yup. Since yesterday I have constant lag and rubber banding!  What a complete farce! /facepalm

Together with a non-working Achievement system... I have given up for now and stopped playing till they fix all this mess!

• Manic.MinerManic.Miner Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Nitth

It's funny because it took them 12 years and they still fucked up :)

No problems for me... im from EU and only had error 35 in first day, so i dont know how they fucked up... 

Great game... good work Blizzard.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Fair enough- they admited a flaw-and i accept that.

it could of been 3 or 5 more months of waiting for D3-and have articles and forums thrashing Blizzard for their slow releases- or releasing the game upto par with speculation with some hick ups-and have articles and forums thrashing Blizzard.

an offline option would of been nice- (ala. steam.)

so far the game has lived upto the expectations with a seemless coop and outstanding graphics surpasing WoWs by far. theyve gone bold enought togo with real currency AH and other groundbreaking concepts- I look forward to playing D3 for a while and its expansions.

good work Blizz!-and GL!

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

is the Demon Hunter+Templar Shield bug fixed?

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Siveria

They should IMO take a look at the game and go "After 12 years this is all we could come up with?"

Yeah pretty much what I was thinking.

This is Diablo 2 reskinned, or how I call it Diablo 2.1

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

Great Job, Blizzard I've not encountered any of these issues people are crying about, but I'm glad you are on top of it, maybe it's cause I'm on the East Coast.....our internetz iz da best!!

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

They should have done a softer launch, but I think their agreements with retailers prevented that.  At least more stress tests would have been nice, I only participated in one.  Was there several?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

As TB said if this were anyone else but Blizzard, most would be up in arms. The torch weilders would have burnt down the other companies HQ by now and impaled the survivors on their Pitchforks..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

Great Job, Blizzard I've not encountered any of these issues people are crying about, but I'm glad you are on top of it, maybe it's cause I'm on the East Coast.....our internetz iz da best!!

DIdn't they take the service down for almost all of a 24 hour period?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Mari2k

No playing offline is not an option, its a relic from the past.

From business side its a simple equation:

$ lost from illegal copy  > $ lost from gamers that dont buy couse online only

Do we really need to get into this silly debate again?

They already hacked the Closed Beta client and create private server code to run your own private server.

They are now working on the Retail version crack + private server code as we speak. Won't be long till they are finished!

If history hasn't teached you any lesson (just like the stupid suits at Blizzard), then you know that any form of DRM implementation had the total opposite effect of what it tried to achieve! As it will only give more reason for hackers to crack it! The more challenge for the hacker, the more they can brag about it when they crack it!

So the pirates continue to pirate as usual, while the "honest" customers are suffering due to DRM and all the issues that come with it!

Yup,  it's an absolutely moronic move on the publishers side...

- They throw a ton of money at implimenting & supporting the DRM in the first place.

- They degrade the performance/experience and limit the options available to legitimate users of the project. Thus loosing sales there....and consequently making the pirated copy more attractive to users from not only a price but also a quality perspective.

- The DRM ultimately fails anyway as pirates find a way around it and start producing pirated copies. So at best you just DELAY the amount of time that you have before you face competition from priated copies.

- All to recoup about 1/30th of the sales you lost to Piracy, as that's about an accurate reflection of the percentage of users who got pirated copies who WOULD have shelled out the full retail price for a legitimate copy of the game, if the pirated copies weren't available.

Sorry, I don't condone piracy at all.....and I don't mind some common sense, low impact DRM (i.e. input a seriel number to play your registered copy and be eligable to download future updates, fixes, etc from the Developer)..... but if this really was about anti-piracy (which I don't believe for a second) then the executive that did the cost/benefit analysis on it must have gotten his MBA out of a box of cracker jacks.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Alphamojo

DIdn't they take the service down for almost all of a 24 hour period?

Didn't get my game til yesterday....so me not know.....had no issue thus far though.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

DRM aside, because frankly people posting on an INTERNET forum about needing to have an internet connnection to play a game; especially an internet forum dedicated to ONLINE games, is just retarded to the extreme.

Did any of you people ever consider that maybe, just maybe, Blizzard doesn't see D3 as a "single player" game, but a co-op one with the option to play single player.  D2 didn't require an inernet connection because it was a product of it's time.  The only aspect of this game that has any connection to "single player" is that it's a sequel to D2. 

Everyone that is on my friends list from WoW is in my friends list in D3.  I can chat with friends that are playing WoW, while I play D3.  I can chat with complete stranges.  Us an online AH, open my game up so that others can join, invite friends, or just ask if anyone wants to play with me. 

This game feels no more single player to me then any of the MMO's I play.  The only diffierence is I don't have to see anyone else if I don't want to.

I suspect that most of the people crying about the online only aspect are the same people that likely hacked and cheated in D2, or pirate most of their single player games anyways.

PS:  The online always aspect is how Blizzard managed to attract a player who actually couldn't stand D2.  It was the only reason I was even willing to give D3 a shot.  Cry all you like, it's obviously not hurting sales, the servers attest to that.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Uhwop

DRM aside, because frankly people posting on an INTERNET forum about needing to have an internet connnection to play a game; especially an internet forum dedicated to ONLINE games, is just retarded to the extreme.

Did any of you people ever consider that maybe, just maybe, Blizzard doesn't see D3 as a "single player" game, but a co-op one with the option to play single player.  D2 didn't require an inernet connection because it was a product of it's time.  The only aspect of this game that has any connection to "single player" is that it's a sequel to D2. 

Everyone that is on my friends list from WoW is in my friends list in D3.  I can chat with friends that are playing WoW, while I play D3.  I can chat with complete stranges.  Us an online AH, open my game up so that others can join, invite friends, or just ask if anyone wants to play with me. 

This game feels no more single player to me then any of the MMO's I play.  The only diffierence is I don't have to see anyone else if I don't want to.

I suspect that most of the people crying about the online only aspect are the same people that likely hacked and cheated in D2, or pirate most of their single player games anyways.

Yep, if people don't like a feature of the game, they are obviouslu cheaters or thiefs. Nice way of belittling others oppinions through that logic.

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95

good to see they spotted the issues, shame it was also the case in the beta so they were not wrong. They just didnt care!

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

Yep, if people don't like a feature of the game, they are obviouslu cheaters or thiefs. Nice way of belittling others oppinions through that logic.

Thanks for your approval, it means a lot to me.

Ask yourself something.

why would people posting on a site dedicated to online rpg's be upset that an rpg requires you to be online?  Sounds rather weird to me too!

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Ask yourself something.

why would people posting on a site dedicated to online rpg's be upset that an rpg requires you to be online?  Sounds rather weird to me too!

Because they don't want to deal with the problems of online gaming like server being down, queues etc while playing single player? Maybe they would like to play it on a plane or they travel to places with bad internet connections and they want to be able to play a single player game in those cases? You expect to not be able to play a MMO in these cases, but not a single player game.

Ask yourself something.

Because they don't want to deal with the problems of online gaming like server being down, queues etc while playing single player? Maybe they would like to play it on a plane or they travel to places with bad internet connections and they want to be able to play a single player game in those cases? You expect to not be able to play a MMO in these cases, but not a single player game.

Reread my first post.

You're entire arguement is based on the idea that the game is designed as a strickly single player/ offline experience.  What happens when you start to look at the game as being designed with an ephasis on co-op/ online gameplay? 

D2 may have been a primarilly single player game, and everyone I knew that was playing it was playing it as an offline single player game, and only sometimes playing it in LAN.  Oddly enough, every single person on my friends list is playing D3 with friends. 

You people complainging about the online aspect are perfectly fine if the game was intended to be played offline.  You arguements aren't so valid when the game is clearly designed around laying online, and with friends.  Just because it's a diablo game doesn't mean it's designed as a strickly singleplayer experience, and from what I've experienced playing D3, it feels very much a multiplayer designed game.

DRM is only ONE aspect of the online only part, but not the only aspect of it, and some of you can't seem to see beyond that.  Blizzard stopped making single player focues games a long time ago, and why is that not obvious to more people?

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Ask yourself something.

Reread my first post.

You're entire arguement is based on the idea that the game is designed as a strickly single player/ offline experience.  What happens when you start to look at the game as being designed with an ephasis on co-op/ online gameplay? 

D2 may have been a primarilly single player game, and everyone I knew that was playing it was playing it as an offline single player game, and only sometimes playing it in LAN.  Oddly enough, every single person on my friends list is playing D3 with friends. 

You people complainging about the online aspect are perfectly fine if the game was intended to be played offline.  You arguements aren't so valid when the game is clearly designed around laying online, and with friends.  Just because it's a diablo game doesn't mean it's designed as a strickly singleplayer experience, and from what I've experienced playing D3, it feels very much a multiplayer designed game.

DRM is only ONE aspect of the online only part, but not the only aspect of it, and some of you can't seem to see beyond that.  Blizzard stopped making single player focues games a long time ago, and why is that not obvious to more people?

You can't really blame people for having certain expectations about something that is billed/marketed as SEQUAL to a previous title.

It's kinda like releasing Saving Private Ryan II - and wondering why folks are off-put when they discover this one is a light hearted romantic comedy with no shooting in it.

When you use an existing name to market something there are things that go with that. Maybe if they had called it "Diablo Online" or something there would be a stronger case for people not expecting support for offline play.

Furthermore, saying that people shouldn't expect offline play is a far cry from your origional accusation that the only folks who were bothered by lack of support for offline play were cheaters or pirates.

As was pointed out, there are alot of legitimate reasons for people wanting to be able to play a computer game while offline.

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Ask yourself something.

Reread my first post.

You can't really blame people for having certain expectations about something that is billed/marketed as SEQUAL to a previous title.

It's kinda like releasing Saving Private Ryan II - and wondering why folks are off-put when they discover this one is a light hearted romantic comedy with no shooting in it.

When you use an existing name to market something there are things that go with that. Maybe if they had called it "Diablo Online" or something there would be a stronger case for people not expecting support for offline play.

Furthermore, saying that people shouldn't expect offline play is a far cry from your origional accusation that the only folks who were bothered by lack of support for offline play were cheaters or pirates.

As was pointed out, there are alot of legitimate reasons for people wanting to be able to play a computer game while offline.

And your annology has no relevance here.

They made a sequal.  How many post do I need to read from people saying the game isn't different enough from D2 for them to play it?  I didn't like D2, I tried it it a couple of times, and played it enough to know that D3 is very much indeed a sequal to D2. 

You're confusing your expectations with what the developers intended. 

D3 is an online game. 

Here it is folks.  D3 is an online game.  Period.  Online games are the evolution of multiplayer games.  I haven't played a game with someone next to me in many years, we play online together now.  And blizzard specializes in multiplayer games, they have for well over a decade.  I NEVER played warcraft alone.  I NEVER played starcraft alone.  And most everyone I knew was playing D2 with someone else.  That is Blizzards forte.  Is this not a company that embrasses Esports? 

The reason we are all here, posting on these forums, is because we love massively multiplayer online games.  We all have that in common here.  Can you undrestand why I would have zero understanding why anyone here would complain about a game requiring you to play online?

This isn't 2000, when very few games actually had online play.  It's 2012, were very few games have no online play.  Just because D2 that came out 12 years ago had offline, doesn't mean it's sequel today isn't designed as an online game.

And a better analogy would have been Rockstar releasing GTA 5 and requiring you to have an inernet connection.  And I would tell you that if the online was done as well as Blizzard did D3's I would say awesome.

Blizzard did not just throw out a requirement to have an internet connection for the game.  It's very much a part of the game.  It's the only reason I was willing  to give it a shot.  I don't play offline games.  Skyrim, as much as I love the ES games, only lasted me a few days.  I don't play offline games.  And just like I don't like PvP to be an after thought in my MMO's, I don't want the online component to be an afterthought in my online game.  It needs to be integral part of the game, even if I never play with another person. 

Rage against the server outages, by all means.  You're more then just and fair in doing so.  But for godsakes drop the "I won't by it because it's online" mantra.  It's a simply rediculous arguement considering the website you're doing it at.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Unlight
    Originally posted by Mari2k

No playing offline is not an option, its a relic from the past.

From business side its a simple equation:

$ lost from illegal copy  > $ lost from gamers that dont buy couse online only

Ask Ubisoft how well that kind of mentality has been working out for them.  The tighter the DRM they slap on their games, the bigger a target they paint for pirates and hackers.  Meanwhile, legitimate gamers like myself are left with either jumping through a lot of stupid, arbitrary hoops placed in our path or not buying their games.  I can't remember the last time I bought something from Ubisoft.

As for Blizzard, they can only get away with it because of the legion of drones they command who do as they're bid and buy what they are given with unquestioning loyalty.  Anyone else trying that kind of bullshit would be drawn and quartered by the gaming community.

The Blizzard hate is strong with this one.  Blizzard gets away with it because they have a legacy of great games that define their genres.

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

My take on this is that they were arsing around rather than actually developing the game all those years. Having the EU servers down on the first Sunday after the launch is an outrage. It would go for any other company, but not for Blizz  - the MMO leader who likes to buzz around about them serving 10mln clients around the world. WTF with Diablo 3 then? Seems like they no longer care about their corporate image.. they had too much customers for the last 10 years to bother about another few millions...