Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't go by Total Biscuit's completely misinformed review/rant of D3

Comments

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

It's only one person's opinion-no one says you have to agree with it. 

Enjoy the game for what's it worth.

• Ever-AngelEver-Angel Member Posts: 46

The video seems to be dead on.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by seiiya

D3 is kinda crap game looks like an old hack n slash game

D2--->D3 end of story

For something we waited 12 years for sadly at the moment blizzard seems to believe it can keep shoveling b grade shit without innovation and get away with it. Unfortunatly according to pre orders and sales figures they may be right

Bdev "Hey I got a great idea lets make it impossible to mod D3, we can use the excuse of helping stop piracy and hacks"

Bdev2"Sounds fine after all no one out there is as innovative and technical as us"

Bdev"but what about single player fans will they not want to play the game how they wish with cheats and mods, items and new maps after all single player mode was available in D1 and D2?"

Bdev2"No they are just mindless drones in our battlenet machine, lets make it so we keep 90% of the guts of D3 on the servers forcing people who want to play offline to stay connected"

Bdev"Sounds good to me, should we pretest server loads and corelate server numbers based on pre-orders ?"

Bdev2"no need we are Blizzard, if we can sell pandas to the west we can do anything, let them drink in the ego and awe that is the login screen of D3"

• Gentl3ManGentl3Man Member Posts: 20

I dont play D3 but think TB is right that said

HAHAHAHAH sucks for those that play it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Kalfer

This thread is annoying. Why should ANYONE "GO" by anyones opinion.

The psychology that drives brand loyalty is well understood.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by demongoat

well it is a good thing he didn't say that then, what he did say was the "scene" would "crack" the game.  which i assume was his short hand for finding a way to make the game playable on something other than blizzard servers, usually this is done in myriad ways.  in fact they had "cracked" the game, prior to may 15th, so he was right in fact.

i'd post more about it but eh, i'm not sure if i should.  there is already a few emulators anyway.

"Cracking" the game entails more than grabbing assets off of it.  Writing an emulator doesn't necessarilly even require hacking the disk.  He's talking out of his ass.

i mean blizzard already had a solution to the hacking and bnet issues: don't play on open games, that really did minimize the issues d1 had when they made d2.   you can't stop hacking entirely, it would be an impossible task, but closed bnet helped remove most of it.

closed bnet was anything but hack free.  I don't think you understand what kind of hacks existed on closed bnet.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that things will be better with the smarts taken out of the client and placed on their servers.

seems to me he isn't a fan of DIABLO 3, not the genre, unless you are so much of a blizzard fanboy that you think the genre is made up of only blizard games.

You aren't paying attention.  He specifically says he's not a fan of the genre.

TL2, PoE are part of the genre! my god man, please think before you post.

also stop being a hack and slash snob, TL2 and PoE are good games, so is titan, and dungeon seige.  claiming "you arem't interested in the genre" because you aren't happy with what blizzard did, is downright assine and well... stupid, poorly thought out and sounds like whining.

I never said any of that.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

why does the OP even call this a reveiw this is just him answering his mailbag

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Lastly, Diablo 3 isn't a true successor to Diablo 2. Diablo 3 is beyond dumbed down to the point it cannot even be called a sequel in the franchise. Not to mention the art-style is horridly different than D2 or D1. 

Diablo 2 was hardly a successor to Diablo 1 if you wanna nit pick. The art style was far less dark and gritty, the skill system was less open you were locked into a more rigid class.

Honestly, i am loving D3 and if people like you and others would get your heads out of your asses long enough to see the good stuff you might enjoy it too!

I swear the internet was built for cynics.

I don't support "Grabs for cash" that destroy a franchise. Sorry :(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Well it is his opinion on his channel, but yes he is grossly miss-informed, his rant about the runes was painful to listen to.. he does seem enamored with TL2.  I thin k he's not given D3 a fair shake and he does seem to show more love for indie devs than the big ones.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

To buy Diablo 3 is to accept the possibility that you won't be able to play the game anytime you want to. And that you can only play as long Actiblizz permits you to do so.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Totalbiscuit hits the nail on the head!

Diablo 3 is a big disappointment. Now I understand why they handed it out for free to WoW-players. They needed more than a decade to make a game that is worse than Diablo 2 and then you cannot even play it offline? Waiting cues? Are you kidding me?

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by expresso

Well it is his opinion on his channel, but yes he is grossly miss-informed, his rant about the runes was painful to listen to.. he does seem enamored with TL2.  I thin k he's not given D3 a fair shake and he does seem to show more love for indie devs than the big ones.

There is a very absolute reason for this. It is not just TB that does this it is the majority of PC gamer fanatics in general. Big company developers like EA, Blizzard, NCSoft etc... are releasing a continous stream of garbage games designed to be cash grabs with no intention of future development. It has just taken 3 years and a few nice indie companies to come along for people to realize this.

Indie companies so far in teh last 12 months have hit teh market hard and fast with high quality low budget products that are outshining the competition. Just look at games like PoE compared to DIablo 3, or GW2 compared to SW:TOR. In both cases the lower budget games are debatebly a higher quality product. People are ready for a strong Indie development push because we are tired of getting ripped off by the large developers. Diablo 3 is a sham and pretty much the most lacking 50$ game ever released.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Thanks for the link.

Now I can totally ignore Diablo 3 since it's obviously not very good.

Back to Skyrim!

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182

Total Biscuit sounded spot on to me.

Problem is you cannot reason with Blizzard fans. They are very very die hard and seemingly take pride in being ignorant die hards.

LIke TB said. Any other company would have had people at their HQ with pitchforks and torches except.....Blizzard!

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I'm enjoying the fuck out of D3, and so are my friends. Really, I can't name anyone other than myself within our clique who has been a detractor, and I blame my bad experiences with a beta product that didn't appropriately represent the full client for that. Despite this, I still agree with about 90% of what Total Biscuit has to say regarding the game.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Durray

Problem is you cannot reason with Blizzard fans. They are very very die hard and seemingly take pride in being ignorant die hards.

LIke TB said. Any other company would have had people at their HQ with pitchforks and torches except.....Blizzard!

Not if that company is named  Arenanet.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I generally appreciate his input, but this review/rant is a total hack job of misinformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WbqdYuba4&feature=plcp

He has several misconceptions/biases about D3.

1) He seems to think the scene can hack the game to be playable offline.  That's an absolute joke.  The best they can do is make it easier to connect to a server emulation once they are written.  I don't think he even grasps server/client relationships.
    How is the outcome not the same, make an invisible back end that gives the user a perceived single player game.

2) He seems to only care about the game as a single player game.  As such, he doesn't care about item hacking or bnet cheating.  He completely minimizes the benefit of storing all characters on their servers and running most of the code on their servers. That doesn't mean that
    He suggested having 2 modes, and offline and an online mode. how is that not the best way to go?

3) He only sees the evils of the RMAH and completely ignores the gold AH.  Ever tried trading items in D2.  the options were to create a game name with the trade you wanted, but if it wasn't elite good luck.  The other popular method was  D2JSP, where one person profited financially and trades were not secure.  You might get a refund from d2jsp if you got scammed, but that's a major hassle.
    I think hes most annoyed because he believes that game mechanics are built to complement the rmah. from what ive seen im inclined to aggree.

4)  He's not even a fan of the genre and thus he clearly wasn't a serious online D2 player and doesn't understand the appeal.  Which is why he sees TL2, with an open BNET type of system, and POE which also is online only,as comparable.
    That's bad shape to attack a persons integrity. you don't have to be a "hardcore" player to have an opinion.

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.
    It was just his mailbox, were he expressed his personal opinion...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You cannot really make that claim until Arenanet releases something on the same level of garbage as Blizzard and EA both have. At that point then we would see how ANet fans react. As long as Arenanet lives up to the claims it makes and releases exactly what it advertises people have no reason to riot against them.

Originally posted by NeoZcar2

You cannot really make that claim until Arenanet releases something on the same level of garbage as Blizzard and EA both have. At that point then we would see how ANet fans react. As long as Arenanet lives up to the claims it makes and releases exactly what it advertises people have no reason to riot against them.

The gems for gold  system is garbage. The regionbased lock-out so that Europeans wouldn't import copies from overseas was garbage too (don't know if has been fixed by now).  If Arenanet introduced a straight RMAH like Blizzard is doing in Diablo 3,  there would be people who would think it is okay, because it is just convenience, you can earn the same items by playing. Both those arguments apply in Diablo III as well: just time convenience and you can earn the items through playing. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I like TB, he isn't the type of guy that hold back on his opinions so he wont step on someones toes.

My other favorite review guy, Angry joe, have this to say: http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/05/diablo-3-is-out-and-so-is-error-37/

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The gems for gold  system is garbage. The regionbased lock-out so that Europeans wouldn't import copies from overseas was garbage too (don't know if has been fixed by now).  If Arenanet introduced a straight RMAH like Blizzard is doing in Diablo 3,  there would be people who would think it is okay, because it is just convenience, you can earn the same items by playing. Both those arguments apply in Diablo III as well: just time convenience and you can earn the items through playing. 

If Diablo 3 would have been a B2P MMO i would have agreed with you. But it ain´t, it isn't even a CORPG.

D3 is a regular single/multiplayer dungeonhack. Any kind of AH have nothing to do in games like that.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I have to add my voice to the "agree" set. He's pretty much right most of the time. (I hated his views on Dear Esther, but that's for another time.) But really, it isn't a review. He gives his impressions of games, which is, I guess, what a reviewer does, but he isn't trying to say what everyone else should think. The reason many people listen to him though, is that he is entertaining while also being well-reasoned and accurate in most cases.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by sgel

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.
    Excuse me?... why would I buy Torchlight 2 if I wasn't interested in the genre? You diss TB for not liking Diablo 3 as much as you do but then go and critique a game that isn't even out yet. The fact that Torchlight 2 can compare with a game created by the richest company in the business and with such a ridiculous development time, says loads about it :)  
    Except ... it cant T2 is great game. I mean i love it! I finished Torchlight 1 , over 3 times + grinded the endgame random levels to no end. I still play it to this day (and i bought it on first day it was launched) And Torchlight 2 (judging from beta) is many times better ! And with all this said and done Torchlight can barely lick boots of Diablo 3 ... its so so far away in quality

This just makes me angry. It isn't far away in quality. An argument could be made that Torchlight 1 is on par with Diablo III's level of quality, or very near it. When considering how much time it took them to make each game, and the amount of money they are able to put into each game, this says a great deal. Blizzard has the "productions values" with things like lots of cinematics, and they do have a couple more classes, which is good, but it would be easy to compare the two, and Torchlight is going to come on top on many issues.

But, did you know, and this is incredibly important. The people who made Torchlight and are making Torchlight II are the very same people who made the first Diablo games. That's right. The reason Torchlight games are so good and why many people think Torchlight 1 is even better than Diablo III is that the people who made Torchlight made Diablo I and II. They are the ones who know what they are doing.

That the OP would say one should get Torchlight II is one is not interested makes no sense, since I'm not buying a game in a genre I don't like in the first place, but the obvious implication is that Torchlight 2 is nowhere near Diablo III in terms of quality, and that's simply not true. You might not like some of the choices they have made, that they have made in an attempt to progress the genre past what they did with Diablo, but it is definitely a top notch game.

I mean, it has a metascore of 83, while Diablo III has a score of 87. So that's not a big difference between the two games in overall perceived quality or enjoyability. Of course, compare that with Torchlight's user score of 8.4 and Diablo III's 3.6. We know which company is perceived as giving a shit about the players, and it sure isn't Blizzard. Just look at people's (including TB's) rants about the online-only nonsense. Many people don't like it, regardless of why the decision was made.My point is twofold.

First, the people who made Diablo I and II made Torchlight and are making Torchlight II. Second, while you and the OP might not like the design choices in Torchlight, it cannot be argued that it isn't a AAA game. Both Diablo III and Torchlight are well-designed and of the highest production quality. Not liking one doesn't mean it is so far away in quality. Learn the difference between quality and preference.

Edit: All that said, I prefer Diablo III for one reason. Scrolls of identification and town portal. I hate them. They are an annoying, dated concept. I hate them. They waste my time. I hate them. They waste bag space. I can't state enough how much I hate them. Obviously, this is my opinion, and it might seem petty, but it just kills my enjoyment of a game after a while.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

Originally posted by Loke666

If Diablo 3 would have been a B2P MMO i would have agreed with you. But it ain´t, it isn't even a CORPG.

D3 is a regular single/multiplayer dungeonhack. Any kind of AH have nothing to do in games like that.

Why do AHs have nothing to do in games such as that? Again the arguments are the same: it is completely optional time convenience for those who choose to use it. You can still earn all the items offered in the AH by just playing. Unless you really care a lot about what other people have and do, it shouldn't bother you, right?

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

lol scared torchlight fan, what was the point in your post? To scare away people from d3? It is so pathetic to beg people to come to torchlight

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

He has several misconceptions/biases about D3.

1) He seems to think the scene can hack the game to be playable offline.  That's an absolute joke.  The best they can do is make it easier to connect to a server emulation once they are written.  I don't think he even grasps server/client relationships.

LMAO!  Under what kind of rock have you been living?

They already managed to hack the closed beta client and ran Diablo III on a private server infrastructure.

These hacks are readily available, including private server code to set up your own private server lol!

They are working on the Retail Version Server emulator right now. Won't be long till it will be available.

You really naive to think that making an online only DRM will stop piracy!

If history hasn't learned you anything, then any form of DRM has exactly the total opposite effect! It gives hackers even more reason to hack! As the whole point of being a hacker is the challenge and brag about it, when you managed to crack it!