Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EME Opens up The Cash Shop

Comments

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by BarCrow

I know what many people mean. Just the other day ..living in Florida I went to Disney World. I paid full price to enter the park but I'll be damned if they didnt charge me for all the food and beverages as well as a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and a Pluto keychain. Pay to play at Disney World and Cash shop. Bullshit!!

Never been to Disney World, so I'll just assume regular themepark situation here...

You just paid an entrance fee that is equivalent to purchasing the box copy of a game. You didn't subscribe to a Disney World membership. Also food and beverages aren't really fluff or optional because you will get hungry and thirsty while there and they don't allow you to bring your own food (or do they?). Souvenir items are fluff though.

If I was way off on Disney World rules forget what I said above.

Usually when a person is subscribed to a membership it's all inclusive of amenities and services. That's how it used to work even in MMOs. Times have changed and I also dislike it, but it's here now so all I can do is deal with it. I can choose not to support a P2P game with a cash shop.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Zetsuei
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Originally posted by Otakun

P2P + cash shop = rip off. Whether it's P2W or not. 

Sorry cannot agree with you here, not sure why a cash shop that is not P2W is a rip off, it is your choice to purchase the item and it in no way gives anyone an advantage. More games are going this route for some additional income, I think its a great idea as long as it doesn't go p2w.

Either you're one of the people who buy everything in these cash shops, or you're just a ignorant fool. First off, you buy the game, already giving them money. Then you have to pay them monthly. THEN they add a cash shop for items / fluff stuff that should be in game already. Honestly, think about it. You are paying for a game, and they aren't giving you the chance to get these items in game. Do you see the problem yet? This is like the Capcom on-disc DLC problem. They have all this content ready, but rather than offer it the players who are keeping the game going, they would rather choose to make you pay more money.

Thank WoWs success with this system for it's introduction in MMOs nowadays.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Sorry cannot agree with you here, not sure why a cash shop that is not P2W is a rip off, it is your choice to purchase the item and it in no way gives anyone an advantage. More games are going this route for some additional income, I think its a great idea as long as it doesn't go p2w.

Either you're one of the people who buy everything in these cash shops, or you're just a ignorant fool. First off, you buy the game, already giving them money. Then you have to pay them monthly. THEN they add a cash shop for items / fluff stuff that should be in game already. Honestly, think about it. You are paying for a game, and they aren't giving you the chance to get these items in game. Do you see the problem yet? This is like the Capcom on-disc DLC problem. They have all this content ready, but rather than offer it the players who are keeping the game going, they would rather choose to make you pay more money.

Well put! I believe even anything in GW2 cash shop is also available in game if I'm not mistaken.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Ok, first of all don't go insulting the guy and also don't go pushing your beliefs down people's throats.

Do you have cable? Well, there was a time when cable promised limited commercials and more content. Well, I can safely say that has changed. "Well I pay for it and I don't want to pay to be advertised to". Well, you and me both. But guess what? Turn on the cable channels and you see commercials. Heck, go to the movies and you will see actual commercials. That have nothing to do with movies.

Going forward you are going to be very hard pressed to find mmo's, and I suspect other games, that don't have some sort of cash shop.

Would I prefer to just pay one monthly fee and have done with it? Sure. But that's not really what's happening now is it? So who exactly is the ignorant fool? The person who has kept up wiht the times or the person who is holding onto what used to be but is now no longer?

As far as the "should be there" that is arguable.

If there was no avenue for dlc or fluff items or whatever then it's very possible they wouldn't bother with anything in the first place. I don't really recall a plethora of additional items in Lineage 2 or Lord of the Rings when the games were just a sub.

if they can make money off of it they will. So if this is your line in the sand then I think it's time to cross it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    Originally posted by rexzshadow

Love how everyone throwing a fit over these thing, same things WoW has for years, race change, server change, faction change. Yet when Tera have it everyone throws a fit like its never happened before.

Oh, there was lots of fit throwing over those things when they were introduced in wow.  Not only that, but when they opened the cs with the sparkle pony?  Holy Sh*t!  Forget Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, it was  more like Hell hath no fury like a cs hater.  It was nuts.

I can see that but you think people be used to it by now? After many P2P game offer roughly the same thing peopel are stil throwing a fit over it?

Originally posted by Amjoco

Well put! I believe even anything in GW2 cash shop is also available in game if I'm not mistaken.

Not inv space or character slots, some of the idk boxes? or keys or whatever that give drop is obtainable through game.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Well then glad I didn't pick it up.  

Also cash shops are always ripoffs.  Making games is just another business, so if they game is making money by p2p then they make the game better so you keep playing and your get your friends to play.  If it's cash shopped based they work to annoy you to the point you buy the pretty clothes, instead of wearing the rags the game let you loot, or till you buy the xp or gold bouns instead of spending the days grinding. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Originally posted by Drakxii

Also cash shops are always ripoffs.  Making games is just another business, so if they game is making money by p2p then they make the game better so you keep playing and your get your friends to play.  If it's cash shopped based they work to annoy you to the point you buy the pretty clothes, instead of wearing the rags the game let you loot, or till you buy the xp or gold bouns instead of spending the days grinding. 

Well first of all, all those premuin service are offered by most other P2P games, second the skin so far is limited sale only so we don't even know what they are selling. Third the in game gear doesn't look like RAGS they all look great, the skin simply make your weapon look like a different weapon. Aka warrior get 2 axe skin and lancer get a long sword instead of lance. And there never be exp or gold bonus unless they go F2P.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

This game let's us wear more than rags, the armor is godly. The stuff in the cash shop isn't even that nice(looks half assed to me), it's just different I guess, wouldn't even spend $5 for any of it let alone $10 when you've got amazing stuff in game already, no weapon pictures but here's examples of armor...

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Weapons are just as good.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Wait untill they start selling skills in the GW2 cash shop....

Anyway...its just costumes, which are no diffrent than deco pets.  If it supports making the game better people should care so long as they dont cross any lines and start adding enhancment/consumables or other pay per advantage items.

Its a rip off lucky for you its 100% optional.  Mabey buy them off a friend with in game gold if you need them in game so badly.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

This game let's us wear more than rags, the armor is godly. The stuff in the cash shop isn't even that nice(looks half assed to me), it's just different I guess, wouldn't even spend $5 for any of it let alone $10 when you've got amazing stuff in game already, no weapon pictures but here's examples of armor...

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Weapons are just as good.

So your saying, they will see that the junk in the cash shop isn't selling and the next round of armor and weapons will look stupid to get you buy the skins from the cash shop?

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Well first of all, all those premuin service are offered by most other P2P games, second the skin so far is limited sale only so we don't even know what they are selling. Third the in game gear doesn't look like RAGS they all look great, the skin simply make your weapon look like a different weapon. Aka warrior get 2 axe skin and lancer get a long sword instead of lance. And there never be exp or gold bonus unless they go F2P.

I think people are upset more because it is a sub based game and they are providing an item that should be in game.  

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

I think people are upset more because it is a sub based game and they are providing an item that should be in game.  

^^^ This

If this was F2P or B2P, then I would understand it. But to charge 10-15 bucks a month and then withhold content from players is a money grab and will ALWAYS be a money grab. And, imo, this practice will lead to better looking weapons and armor being available for cash while a lower quality of weapons and armor will be available in game.

If not, then there would be no incentive for using the cash shop and the shop would be pointless.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Bcbud35Bcbud35 Member Posts: 5

I never post on forums, just like to read and see how gamers are changing for the worse. All I have to say is, WHO EFFING CARES  ABOUT THE CASH SHOP!!  You dont have to buy it!! How hard is that to understand?? You gain literaly NOTHING besides a SKIN!!! This is why mmo's suck now. This new "Generation" of cry baby gamers are ruining every mmo that comes out becasue they can never be satisfied! Dont like the cash shop, then dont effin play, that simple. "OMG Tera has a cash shop, I better take it to the forums anc cry and tell everyone that I quit becaues of a effin cash shop". Ya thats what you ass hats sound like!

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

I play Tera, and the Cash Shop isnt going to effect me what so ever.

Everything they have in it I dont need, and so what if they add more cosmetic stuff. 

I dont need it, no one does. If you buy it then good for you! Just know its not worth it.

(Its really just a waste of money)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Let me see ...

Those who pre-ordered will get a set of cosmetic skins that noone else will have (for now). Basically that's a set of skins noone will have but those who got the game early.

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=73558

Then you have those skins mentioned in that page. They don't look that special compared to what is already in the game. However, there is the potential to expand it with much more items, but that would mean exclusive development for the cash shop. Too risky imo right now.

You also have NPCs in all major cities selling skins, assuming you don't like the looks of your weapon.

In any case, I'm still quite happy with the look of the gear. It might change in the future of course, but I doubt it.

This "cash shop" is the mildest thing you could find in a P2P game. It is nowhere near the ballpark of GW2 that some people mentioned, where Anet is expecting it to be a major monetisation avenue. And of course, it is very mild compared to TSW, which seems to be adopting a LOTRO style approach on cosmetic gear, only with a subscription model. In any case, it is hilarious to see people crying wolf over Tera's "shop", in comparison they should be crying gonzilla towards the other games mentioned in this thread.

Personally i find most of those skin pretty horrible lol. Aside from the lancer one (which i brought coz its too awsome, i finally get my damn sword/shield, I love sword/shield so when tank in Tera was lancer iw as pretty disappointed but now i can poke people with my long sword even though swinging is is much more effective but i'm too cool for that. Also now i can pretend to be slayer with shield =D most broken class ever if it exsited.) warrior and sorc one is decent but honsetly all the other one looks so bad lol. The dragons/gold (whatever they are called) ones look much better.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

This cash shop has 0 effect on the game. Anyone thinking it has an effect is very misinformed.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

I have nothing against it as long as it is for skins only. Off course when they start selling items that give your character some sort of boost then I will be furious and be gone from TERA sonner than the first posts about it appear on this forum. 

• BeenGamingBeenGaming Member Posts: 44

I am confused as to how a cash shop that offers items that are clearly poor investments and provide no advantage to gameplay is an issue. If you feel like frivolously spending some money on whatever fictional goods they're selling, so be it. If you're not interested in that, then don't.

You would need the willpower of a three year old for this to feel threatening to you in some way. Christ only knows how you manage to contain yourself near a checkout line.

• seiiyaseiiya Member Posts: 24

If tera was f2p with thes kind of items from shop (luxury stuffs and no p2w)

it could own

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by BeenGaming

I am confused as to how a cash shop that offers items that are clearly poor investments and provide no advantage to gameplay is an issue. If you feel like frivolously spending some money on whatever fictional goods they're selling, so be it. If you're not interested in that, then don't.

You would need the willpower of a three year old for this to feel threatening to you in some way. Christ only knows how you manage to contain yourself near a checkout line.

The truth is many don't. Impulse buying works for a reason, which ofc is exactly whay they stack crap near checkouts.

You seem to assume that everyone out there has the same decision making capabilities or psychological make up as you, and if they don't... screw 'em? Who needs to look out for the vulnerable anyhow, I'm doing just fine, right?

That attitude could also be examined I guess... it could be said to show signs of low level autism or be indicative of sociopathic tendencies.

I am not saying you are either of these things, I don't know you, but see how easy it would be to make harsh observations of others?

My personal view is that box+sub+expacks+cash shop is over a line and just smacks of greed and is looking to exploit the vulnerable and addicted.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

In any case, if you want to see some hilarious weapon skins from K-Tera shop (remind me of the goofy Aion ones) here's a link:

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=88423

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I know what many people mean. Just the other day ..living in Florida I went to Disney World. I paid full price to enter the park but I'll be damned if they didnt charge me for all the food and beverages as well as a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and a Pluto keychain. Pay to play at Disney World and Cash shop. Bullshit!!

Because there's absolute no difference between disney world and a mmorpg.

Well, they both are theme parks that let you ride everything for the price of admission and charge you extra for things such as clothing.

I think the analogy was pretty good actually.

Can you really make no difference between real life and a game?

Are you really unaware that you are taking the anaology too literally? 

Then lets say he would have been staring at the other people's food and beverages drooling.

That's really where the hatred comes from too. While others have no problem...the embittered ( or the "principled" as they would likely call themselves) stare and drool at what others have that they don't ...all the while crying "sour grapes".

I don't go hog wild in cash shops but I certainly don't mind them as an option and am not above getting that Slayer weapon-skin for $9.99 if I choose to fork out some cash from my very meager account.

When i purchased the box i expected to be equal with any other player .When i see they got something that i don't have access to unless i pay,i'm pissed.

Zadawn you play WoW...they sell $25 mounts, server transfers and the whole deal.

It's should just be expected now because people WILL buy this stuff, why wouldn't the company do this. Also I blame WoWs playerbase in a sense, they are the kings of getting milked and it makes billions for Blizzard. Why wouldn't other companies do the same...

Except that:

1. I never  touched their paying services and never said it was right what they did.

2. I simply played wow because there was nothing better on the market from my point of view.

3. I don't play anymore,and this time it is for good.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Bcbud35

I never post on forums, just like to read and see how gamers are changing for the worse. All I have to say is, WHO EFFING CARES  ABOUT THE CASH SHOP!!  You dont have to buy it!! How hard is that to understand?? You gain literaly NOTHING besides a SKIN!!! This is why mmo's suck now. This new "Generation" of cry baby gamers are ruining every mmo that comes out becasue they can never be satisfied! Dont like the cash shop, then dont effin play, that simple. "OMG Tera has a cash shop, I better take it to the forums anc cry and tell everyone that I quit becaues of a effin cash shop". Ya thats what you ass hats sound like!

You would have been better off not posting at all and remain silent like you were up until now.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Kumapon EME has been keeping it more on the hush-hush, but today they opened up a premium cash shop for players that want to buy fluff. If it starts to become pay to win I am gone, but what do you all think about it ?
    http://store.enmasse.com/store/tera/html/pbPage.PremiumServices/ThemeID.19945700?resid=T7QmagoBAlUAAAPmbGoAAABJ&rests=1337206378655#novelty-items

Can I have your attention please... I remember posting about a cash shop on my blog last year and here is EME's response at the time:

After a press release by Digital River announcing our e-commerce partnership a few players expressed concerns that TERA would be a micro-transaction game in addition to requiring a subscription fee; that is not the case.

TERA is not a micro-transaction or cash-shop item game. The game is built and designed to function as a subscription-based game. We would have to make dramatic changes to the game's design to support micro-transactions and there is no intention of doing so.

TERA will have paid services, which could include character transfer, name change and gender change. We do not have a complete list of these services yet, but we will let you know as we confirm them - those services will likely be available inside the game.

There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles.

To clarify the press release further; Digital River OFFERS many options to En Masse to choose from for TERA and for future products we publish.

We're more than happy to answer questions, and hope that this clarification allays any concerns you might have.

Sometimes is SUCKS so hard to be right...

And back to the linked topic on my blog: The choice for FROGSTER as EU host is clear now indeed. FROGSTER has a lot of experience with cash-shop items and like I said back then (on my blog, but here as well), TERA will indeed become a cash-shop based game. Now we only have to wait till it goes fully F2P...