Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the eve of D3, it's getting ugly in the official forums

124»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by gestalt11

This is older than the internet.  Older than electricity.

Its called the Cassandra Effect.  And in phrases like "I don't want to be a Cassandra, but ...".

This is named after a character from anicent greek myth who told prophecies that were always true but no one wanted to hear.  That what you get when you won't give it up to Apollo when he wants it.

Its not the community.  Its human nature.  We have known it for 1000s and 1000s of years too.

Just because we didn´t know what electricity was until Franklin does not mean it didn´t existed before that...

But otherwise you are spot on.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by Nilenya

The community is 100% at fault.

Everytime a game is overhyped cautious voices are drowned out by rabid players who insist their new fad is the best thing since sliced bread.

Then the game launches, and the cautious voices grow to legion, but still they are absolutely ridiculed, spat on and pushed aside by the fanboys who still insist on rowing along in their sinking ship.

Then comes the great period of enlightenment, where everyone suddenly turns around and agree on how much the product actually stinks. How many ways in which they feel let down, and everyone, including the previous enthusiast and rabid fanboys, completely wash their hands of the situation they helped create, and certainly helped flourish.

If you provide an environment where executives can get away with the type of game development and production that Swtor represents then you are part of the problem. If you also help bully those who are critical of the game you happen to throw in with, you further that environment.

If you then, at the end of the day, completely fail to see any correlation between your own attitude, no matter how it changed in the end, the comments your made, posted and discussed, and take no responsibility for how you affect the community, and how the community affects the strategy these money hungry companies chose to use, then, you get exactly the type of games you tell them you're willing to live with. And its your OWN fault. NOT the companies. They are there to make money off of your leniency, which your adulation only intensifies. - Why should they care about your impotent rage once the adulation has faded. You already gave them your money, and history OBVIOUSLY shows you're willing to repeat this pattern over and over and over and over and over ad naseum.

Its called the Cassandra Effect.  And in phrases like "I don't want to be a Cassandra, but ...".

This is named after a character from anicent greek myth who told prophecies that were always true but no one wanted to hear.  That what you get when you won't give it up to Apollo when he wants it.

Its not the community.  Its human nature.  We have known it for 1000s and 1000s of years too.

Oh hey thanks for that :) 

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Loke666

Just because we didn´t know what electricity was until Franklin does not mean it didn´t existed before that...

I lol'd pretty hard at that

• Originally posted by tollbooth
    Originally posted by Loke666

I lol'd pretty hard at that

Perception is reality.  Electricity didn't exist until we said so!!!!

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by huskie77

I don't mind if people don't like it or even if they think it will fail. But at 300k subs the game would still be healthy. F2P is an option when you can't entice enough players to pay to cover costs. F2P is an option for a niche game. SWTOR is certainly not a GREAT game, but if you think there aren't 300k-500k Star Wars fans who will keep subbing to this you might consider spending mroe time away from this forum and experiencing life. BTW, I do not sub to the game and have nothing vested in it's success or failure.

If this game were at 300k subs EA would have to merge almost all the servers and the game would probably be officially on life support.  300k would represent a massive loss even by EA's PR spin standards.  So if that is where it is going, then EA is about to lose even more money.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by Barbarbar

The real disaster is the community and their treatment of an expensive attempt at an MMO. Surely, after seeing the shitstorm Bioware was engulfed in, no new big money is willing to attempt the risk of making an expensive MMO. Just not worth it.

Blame the community? For a crappy game?

Wow.

the community is part of the reason why swtor is doing so bad

part being the key word there  

Blaming customers for corporate failure has never worked out too well in the past. Just a thought.

so its the companys fault that so many people are re rolling on a couple servers,its the communitys fault the official forums are trashed by ex wow players wanting every single feature wow had?

like i said,i put more blame on the community then i do bioware for swtor being a bad game,not that im saying its bad.its a nice time waster until other mmos come out.but anyone who isnt a casual playing swtor is wasting there time

and i happen to not be a casual

LMAO!  They advertised the game publically as a WoW clone in Space!  So no wonder people start comparing it to WoW!

Second, the vast majority of gamers don't even visit forums! They just see the adds, buy the game and play it! And when it stops being fun, they quit!

And blaming people for rerolling to a few servers that are actually still populated, because their server has died out?  Are you THAT daft!

My server went from FULL to Light population within two months!  I cannot stomach to reroll on another server and start all over again, going to the exact same crappy PVE content all over again. Thanks but no thanks! I just quit!

So yes! It's the company's fault to care more about positive press, than their customers and refuse to accept that the vast majority of their servers are dead and start transfering those poor bastards that are left, to more populated servers or just merge them!

No instead, they artificially inflate subscriber numbers, by giving practically everyone a free month just before the Q4 report, to present an illusion to their stake holders that the game is doing fine!  /FACEPALM

The Biodrones aren't even trying anymore.  It is sad, ain't it?  And almost every MMO I've played allows people without an active sub to post in the forums.  Why?  Because you want to use community to entice them back.

Oh wait, TOR has no community.  I forgotz.

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730
    10th in xfire.

nuf sed
  • sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

SWTOR is empty. The game forgot to include anything captivating. The stories seemed okay at first but did anyone notice that after the first flashpoint, things got a LOT simpler?

And the main story lines... well, they are okay but a bit action-movie for 12year old boys. Where were the sad moments? The happy moments? The moments you even gave a damn? They weren't any good at suspense either. Really, a sith master betrayes his disciple? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

And the faction story lines were even less intresting. Gosh, a new planet and the other side is waging war on us and we are in bad shape and I got to save the day? AGAIN? And then you go back to the same planet and your side is in bad shape again...

It also never made sense, since when do striking workers get struck down by a sith lord? I fight dead sith masters for breakfast and now I got to beat up factory workers? How about feeling epic now?

Only Lotro with its level 60 deer feels more ridicilous. Fight nazgul, fight dragons, get skewered by a robin!

Looking back on other MMO's like Lotro, it is amazing how empty SWTOR is. Lotro had player music as one of the extra's. Many MMO's have done something similar.  Even if not a real feature of a MMO, I usually have dealt with fashion designers in MMO's, people who helped their guildies look good. 

SWTOR even killed that off. No dyes? WTF? It shows Bioware never really understood that a MMO is NOT a single player game. Most Bioware games (those for the PC) have user made mods. All the crap the fans don't like about Biowares games, the users can and do mod the hell out of. 

But an MMO does not allow that, we are stuck with the game Bioware created and damn, after years of playing games ONLY after the first mods have appeared to fix them, it is a rude awakening. So this is really how bad Bioware games are if you play them straight out of the box. Really, no option for coloring, no hiding of gloves? Ugly ass helmets that even if inivisible on twileks still alter their voice?

It is the little things that finish the game off. Sure, Correlia looking like a 10 year old budget game is a big killer. The combat lacking any challenge beyond not fighting two elites solo is a killer BUT the lack of ANYTHING in the game except barebones combat and a crappy crafting system is the real killer.

There is nothing to collect in game, no housing, no chairs to sit on, no music, no just for fun skills to learn nothing to suggest Bioware ever realized MMO's are more then just action games with a monthly fee.

As a single player action game with about 999 out of every 1000 kills removed, SWTOR would have made a fantastic Kotor 3. They could even have sold it as seperate games for each faction and class. 

But as a MMO, it sucks!

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by sfc1971

SWTOR is empty. The game forgot to include anything captivating. The stories seemed okay at first but did anyone notice that after the first flashpoint, things got a LOT simpler?

And the main story lines... well, they are okay but a bit action-movie for 12year old boys. Where were the sad moments? The happy moments? The moments you even gave a damn? They weren't any good at suspense either. Really, a sith master betrayes his disciple? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

And the faction story lines were even less intresting. Gosh, a new planet and the other side is waging war on us and we are in bad shape and I got to save the day? AGAIN? And then you go back to the same planet and your side is in bad shape again...

It also never made sense, since when do striking workers get struck down by a sith lord? I fight dead sith masters for breakfast and now I got to beat up factory workers? How about feeling epic now?

Only Lotro with its level 60 deer feels more ridicilous. Fight nazgul, fight dragons, get skewered by a robin!

Looking back on other MMO's like Lotro, it is amazing how empty SWTOR is. Lotro had player music as one of the extra's. Many MMO's have done something similar.  Even if not a real feature of a MMO, I usually have dealt with fashion designers in MMO's, people who helped their guildies look good. 

SWTOR even killed that off. No dyes? WTF? It shows Bioware never really understood that a MMO is NOT a single player game. Most Bioware games (those for the PC) have user made mods. All the crap the fans don't like about Biowares games, the users can and do mod the hell out of. 

But an MMO does not allow that, we are stuck with the game Bioware created and damn, after years of playing games ONLY after the first mods have appeared to fix them, it is a rude awakening. So this is really how bad Bioware games are if you play them straight out of the box. Really, no option for coloring, no hiding of gloves? Ugly ass helmets that even if inivisible on twileks still alter their voice?

It is the little things that finish the game off. Sure, Correlia looking like a 10 year old budget game is a big killer. The combat lacking any challenge beyond not fighting two elites solo is a killer BUT the lack of ANYTHING in the game except barebones combat and a crappy crafting system is the real killer.

There is nothing to collect in game, no housing, no chairs to sit on, no music, no just for fun skills to learn nothing to suggest Bioware ever realized MMO's are more then just action games with a monthly fee.

As a single player action game with about 999 out of every 1000 kills removed, SWTOR would have made a fantastic Kotor 3. They could even have sold it as seperate games for each faction and class. 

But as a MMO, it sucks!

Yes you nailed it. This game is so bereft of anything that you need anyone esle for, that there is no reason to do anything with others (except the combat content). And thank you for the part about Corellia (I feel validated now :) ), their treatment of this classic planet was so bad that I am still in disbelief.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• mmaizemmaize Member Posts: 274

SWTOR is empty. The game forgot to include anything captivating. The stories seemed okay at first but did anyone notice that after the first flashpoint, things got a LOT simpler?And the main story lines... well, they are okay but a bit action-movie for 12year old boys. Where were the sad moments? The happy moments? The moments you even gave a damn? They weren't any good at suspense either. Really, a sith master betrayes his disciple? SAY IT AIN'T SO!And the faction story lines were even less intresting. Gosh, a new planet and the other side is waging war on us and we are in bad shape and I got to save the day? AGAIN? And then you go back to the same planet and your side is in bad shape again...It also never made sense, since when do striking workers get struck down by a sith lord? I fight dead sith masters for breakfast and now I got to beat up factory workers? How about feeling epic now?Only Lotro with its level 60 deer feels more ridicilous. Fight nazgul, fight dragons, get skewered by a robin!Looking back on other MMO's like Lotro, it is amazing how empty SWTOR is. Lotro had player music as one of the extra's. Many MMO's have done something similar.  Even if not a real feature of a MMO, I usually have dealt with fashion designers in MMO's, people who helped their guildies look good. SWTOR even killed that off. No dyes? WTF? It shows Bioware never really understood that a MMO is NOT a single player game. Most Bioware games (those for the PC) have user made mods. All the crap the fans don't like about Biowares games, the users can and do mod the hell out of. But an MMO does not allow that, we are stuck with the game Bioware created and damn, after years of playing games ONLY after the first mods have appeared to fix them, it is a rude awakening. So this is really how bad Bioware games are if you play them straight out of the box. Really, no option for coloring, no hiding of gloves? Ugly ass helmets that even if inivisible on twileks still alter their voice?It is the little things that finish the game off. Sure, Correlia looking like a 10 year old budget game is a big killer. The combat lacking any challenge beyond not fighting two elites solo is a killer BUT the lack of ANYTHING in the game except barebones combat and a crappy crafting system is the real killer.There is nothing to collect in game, no housing, no chairs to sit on, no music, no just for fun skills to learn nothing to suggest Bioware ever realized MMO's are more then just action games with a monthly fee.As a single player action game with about 999 out of every 1000 kills removed, SWTOR would have made a fantastic Kotor 3. They could even have sold it as seperate games for each faction and class. But as a MMO, it sucks!

Spot on!
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

But, but...the replayability, the multiple alts...

Yea, watch me logging out and never going through Nar Shadda and Balmorra for xy-th time again.

It's not even on my wall of crazy.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

SWTOR is empty. The game forgot to include anything captivating....

But as a MMO, it sucks!

Bravo. Really hits the nail on the head.