Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't go by Total Biscuit's completely misinformed review/rant of D3

Comments

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

"People took DAYS off work to play this game, and as a result of Blizzard's decisions, they're not able to do so!"  So, I'm annoyed on behalf of them.  It is, in fact, possible to feel empathy for people folks, it really is."

Jesus, really?  He feels empathy for mature adults who called in sick from work to stay at home to play a video game?  This is just a mere sample of the sensationalist bandwagon jumping nonsense he hops on every now and again that I can only assume is a mad grab for channel views.  It really goes to show you what an absolute fool the man is.

if thats what you got from listen to his mailbox, i think he could learn you something about empathy ;) .

I find that i agreed with most of what he said. And i would than OP for directing me to his mailbox. 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by jondifool

"People took DAYS off work to play this game, and as a result of Blizzard's decisions, they're not able to do so!"  So, I'm annoyed on behalf of them.  It is, in fact, possible to feel empathy for people folks, it really is."

Jesus, really?  He feels empathy for mature adults who called in sick from work to stay at home to play a video game?  This is just a mere sample of the sensationalist bandwagon jumping nonsense he hops on every now and again that I can only assume is a mad grab for channel views.  It really goes to show you what an absolute fool the man is.

if thats what you got from listen to his mailbox, i think he could learn you something about empathy ;) .

I find that i agreed with most of what he said. And i would than OP for directing me to his mailbox. 

It's a quote lifted directly from the video.  I'm not sure what else I was supposed to get.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I generally appreciate his input, but this review/rant is a total hack job of misinformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WbqdYuba4&feature=plcp

He has several misconceptions/biases about D3.

1) He seems to think the scene can hack the game to be playable offline.  That's an absolute joke.  The best they can do is make it easier to connect to a server emulation once they are written.  I don't think he even grasps server/client relationships.

2) He seems to only care about the game as a single player game.  As such, he doesn't care about item hacking or bnet cheating.  He completely minimizes the benefit of storing all characters on their servers and running most of the code on their servers.  That doesn't mean that

3) He only sees the evils of the RMAH and completely ignores the gold AH.  Ever tried trading items in D2.  the options were to create a game name with the trade you wanted, but if it wasn't elite good luck.  The other popular method was  D2JSP, where one person profited financially and trades were not secure.  You might get a refund from d2jsp if you got scammed, but that's a major hassle.

4)  He's not even a fan of the genre and thus he clearly wasn't a serious online D2 player and doesn't understand the appeal.  Which is why he sees TL2, with an open BNET type of system, and POE which also is online only,as comparable.

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.

Sorry but I agreed with most every word he said. 

Same.

Loved his rant. Especially the "Imagine what happened if EA did this ..." bit.

OP, you are trying to take his arguments out of context by saying stuff like "he only cares about the single player game". That isn't true. He just defends the notion that a game which allows for complete solo gameplay shouldn't be online only. He also brings up alternatives with dedicated offline and online characters which I personally would like a lot. His conclusions seem valid too. Because of the RMAH they can't really go around making this a strictly controlled online game only to prevent exploits and fraud as much as possible. Piracy is a secondary issue.

And yeah, they are really challenging the code monkeys with this. Curious when the first independent server will pop up.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

/shrug

I pretty much agree with him across the board.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Why don't people make the same complaints about PoE, baring the fact that it's an indy title without a huge fanbase?

Diablo 3 is not Diablo 2.  You can play by yourself same as you can play by yourself in LotRO, but it's still an online game, and Blizzard has always promoted it as such.  If you really want to play a game like this on a road trip or on a plane flight, just download Torchlight II and play that when away from an internet connection and play Diablo 3 when you get home.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Why don't people make the same complaints about PoE, baring the fact that it's an indy title without a huge fanbase?

Diablo 3 is not Diablo 2.  You can play by yourself same as you can play by yourself in LotRO, but it's still an online game, and Blizzard has always promoted it as such.  If you really want to play a game like this on a road trip or on a plane flight, just download Torchlight II and play that when away from an internet connection and play Diablo 3 when you get home.

The same reason nobody is complaining that games like Guild Wars and Vindictus are online only. Path of Exile is actually making it a feature of the game rather than some shitty DRM.

Originally posted by romanator0

The same reason nobody is complaining that games like Guild Wars and Vindictus are online only. Path of Exile is actually making it a feature of the game rather than some shitty DRM.

And seamless switching between single player gameplay and online play along with auction house fuctionality isn't integrating online play into the game?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Ditto.  Totally.  

Im not the biggest fan of TotalBiscuit and he has gotten on my nerves a few times, but he's hit the nail on the head.   He basically just got done saying everything and more, that Ive been saying here for the last two days. 

Also OP.....  If they can emulate a WoW server, or any mmo they care too, I cant find a reason in the world hackers will not emulate Diablo 3.  Its very likely to happen.  Would probably take 6 months to a year but I expect it to happen. 

Where did I say they couldn't emulate D3?  They definitely will in the next 6-9 months.  But I'm pretty sure it's not "the scene" that does that. He implied the scene could hack the disk and somehow find a server in there.  Totally ludicrous and ignorant.

Okay sorry must have mis read.  Did he say that?  No...sigh thats not going to happen.  You cant hack a disk and get into the......yea whatever. 

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Ditto.  Totally.  

Im not the biggest fan of TotalBiscuit and he has gotten on my nerves a few times, but he's hit the nail on the head.   He basically just got done saying everything and more, that Ive been saying here for the last two days. 

Also OP.....  If they can emulate a WoW server, or any mmo they care too, I cant find a reason in the world hackers will not emulate Diablo 3.  Its very likely to happen.  Would probably take 6 months to a year but I expect it to happen. 

Where did I say they couldn't emulate D3?  They definitely will in the next 6-9 months.  But I'm pretty sure it's not "the scene" that does that. He implied the scene could hack the disk and somehow find a server in there.  Totally ludicrous and ignorant.

or they could  hack and reverse engineer the game to not require a connection

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

I generally appreciate his input, but this review/rant is a total hack job of misinformation.

1) He seems to think the scene can hack the game to be playable offline.  That's an absolute joke.  The best they can do is make it easier to connect to a server emulation once they are written.  I don't think he even grasps server/client relationships.

2) He seems to only care about the game as a single player game.  As such, he doesn't care about item hacking or bnet cheating.  He completely minimizes the benefit of storing all characters on their servers and running most of the code on their servers.  That doesn't mean that

3) He only sees the evils of the RMAH and completely ignores the gold AH.  Ever tried trading items in D2.  the options were to create a game name with the trade you wanted, but if it wasn't elite good luck.  The other popular method was  D2JSP, where one person profited financially and trades were not secure.  You might get a refund from d2jsp if you got scammed, but that's a major hassle.

4)  He's not even a fan of the genre and thus he clearly wasn't a serious online D2 player and doesn't understand the appeal.  Which is why he sees TL2, with an open BNET type of system, and POE which also is online only,as comparable.

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.

He's actually sounds like a pretty nice guy I think. He wasn't being offensive about it. He even said that he can see why people like Diablo 3.

I like Diablo 3, but other people don't so what.? [mod edit]

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by joocheese

You may not agree with the adults who took time off to play a video game, but regardless of the reason, if anyone took time off to enjoy any hobby and then were not able due to not fault of their own but the company that provided the hobby, I would feel empathy for them. They probably lost a sick/vacation day or lost a little pay. Some may take time off to go to Dinsey World with their familes, others will take time off to play video games with their kids, family members, or friends. Either way, if both situations were ruined I would indeed feel bad for them.

Are we honestly comparing taking off work to sit around and play Diablo 3 to taking a vacation to Disney World?  I know where all gamers, but sweet mary, that's not even close to the same thing.

If you take work to go see a movie, to go fishing, or to play video games and something prevents you from doing so, you have no one to blame but yourself for your lost productivity.  Those people made a conscious choice to skip work for a day to play a video game, and now they must suffer the repercussions for doing so.  If they're not able to accept what they've lost then they really weren't mature enough to decide to skip in the first place.

The fact is that customers could not play the game when it was released. Their reasons for taking off work, losing productivity and whatever else are irrelevent. Customers could not use the product they paid for. It's a simple as that.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

1. well it is a good thing he didn't say that then, what he did say was the "scene" would "crack" the game.  which i assume was his short hand for finding a way to make the game playable on something other than blizzard servers, usually this is done in myriad ways.  in fact they had "cracked" the game, prior to may 15th, so he was right in fact.

i'd post more about it but eh, i'm not sure if i should.  there is already a few emulators anyway.

2.  what are you talking about? he brings up hacking and bnet cheating, just because he didn't bang on about it to your satisfaction doesn't mean he didn't.  like most people, including i bet quite a few people here,  he was highly conserned and unhappy with the lack of single player and need for internet connection, since that is a big deal in general.

i mean blizzard already had a solution to the hacking and bnet issues: don't play on open games, that really did minimize the issues d1 had when they made d2.   you can't stop hacking entirely, it would be an impossible task, but closed bnet helped remove most of it.

3. yes because we should be more concerned about backroom dealing that every game has over the game company saying basically that intangable bits on hardrives are worth real life money and they design the whole game around that concept.

one is bad and can cause harm to a game potentially, the other is the GAME COMPANY creating a system that legitimizes one of the worst things 90% of the people on this website complain about.    yeah yeah, people sell gold, but the amount of people who do it is small, on the other hand the company doing something like it is far worse.

4. wow... just wow.  is that really the best you have? really?  i wasn't a serious d2 player either, that must be why i find your whining to be painful at best and horribly blind at the least.

seems to me he isn't a fan of DIABLO 3, not the genre, unless you are so much of a blizzard fanboy that you think the genre is made up of only blizard games.

TL2, PoE are part of the genre! my god man, please think before you post.

also stop being a hack and slash snob, TL2 and PoE are good games, so is titan, and dungeon seige.  claiming "you arem't interested in the genre" because you aren't happy with what blizzard did, is downright assine and well... stupid, poorly thought out and sounds like whining.

what he said is true, nearly all of it, while i liked the game i'm not buying it because of what blizzard did, they killed half the reason i'd play it, namely lan play.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Your last paragraph completely negated anything good you said, Torchlight 2 is co-op, IS offline friendly, Will release with a dev kit, has pets that work (not a gimmick) actually useful and does more to innovate the genre than anything blizzard ever does but keep on going.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by calranthe
    Your last paragraph completely negated anything good you said, Torchlight 2 is co-op, IS offline friendly, Will release with a dev kit, has pets that work (not a gimmick) actually useful and does more to innovate the genre than anything blizzard ever does but keep on going.

the only reason he looks down on TL2 is because of how it looks and it isn't by blizzard, dare i say he sounds elitist?

like people looking down on WoW for being cartoony? :)

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by jondifool

It's a quote lifted directly from the video.  I'm not sure what else I was supposed to get.

to take days off work does it means that you have to call in sick? What about making a deal with your boss, having the right to take some days off. Legit reasons ?

I think you are interpretating it in a way that shows lack of empathy. I find that he adress the situation with a legit concern, where you for some reason are so angry at him that you are willing to see the people he is talking about a cheaters in their worksituation to make TB look stupid.  That is lack of empathy.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

if you actually listen to the rant about D3 in the link you would hear him talk about how horrible the online 24/7DRM system is. and how it only hurts the legit users. 

i recall UBI using a similar DRM for their settlers game.. and it was cracked in 24hrs after their pompus press about how it will never be cracked ect ect... 

the fact D3 is a single player game with coop i do not get the reason to have it online 24/7. when i played D2 i never had any reason to have it online 24/7.. it sounds to me like the DRM is put there just to fk with the legit users who wanted D3..

blizzard put the crap in place to limit people actually using the game for what they wish. as well no one ever thinks about later on when the game is no longer profitable and blizzard pulls the plug... if they have all your data.. that means it goes to the trash can in the sky...their data.. their choice what to do with the server files... tatta good bye mrs D3 pie.. 

i also like how all the counter points againts the video never touched on the queue for a SP game >>" that just takes the cake. its like loading up farmvile on FB and having a queue to get on it.. or trying to play minesweeper on windows and getting a queue.. completely and totally retarded.

while i dont always agree with his point of views on games... (they are his thoughts and feelings not mine..) i do have to agree inpart on alot of what he said on this D3 junk that is going on right now.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333

OP is butthurt that 75% of PC gamers aren't all casual scrubs that drool over Diablo 3.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

For some reason the OPs rant on TB seems to be more about venting his frustration over the general negative view of Diablo 3 community wide then it does about TB's credibility as a game reviewer. 

Typically TB has pretty much spot on reviews and even stays on topic when the game obviously isnt his cup of tea. He doesn't candy coat his reviews and he is not afraid to rip into something that has as many glaring problems as Diablo 3 does. 

The real problem here is Blizzard released something that they new 13 months ago the community was not happy with. They refused to listen to any player feedback, and continued to drive that truck over the cliff. 

For me I do not see why it is such a big deal that some people do not like Diablo 3 unless the fanbois feel threatened that there is 2 other amazing Hack and Slash games coming out soon, and are running the typical fear mongering garbage they do every time a great MMORPG comes out that they feel threatenes WoW.

There is no reason to get so upset over other peoples opinions. Without opinions on both sides of the fence nobody would ever get a clear view of the truth of matters.... If left up to typical Blizzard fanbois then WoW, SC2, and Diablo 3 would only have reviews abotu how the game was perfect from the instant a light flickered into a developers brain. We all know this is so very untrue... Blizzard games have continous reptitive problems with Balance, Bugs, and Lack of Content. With only the reviews of Blizzard fanbois the general community would not have known this and Blizzard and its parent company would probably not be losing money... 

Companies do not change their corrupt and lazy ways until the community hits them in the pocket book. Positive and Negative reviews on products shoudl be seen as a form of checks and balances to keep the developers honest. The market really does not need another major failure like SW:TOR anytime soon.

GW2, TSW, Tera, Diablo 3, Torchlight2, PoE are all good PC games that are or will be available this year and if they can all remain healthy and profitable then we just might see the PC gaming market begin to grow again.

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by Aori
    Originally posted by LizardEgypt

OP is butthurt that 75% of PC gamers aren't all casual scrubs that drool over Diablo 3.

...i think you may have got that statistic reversed.

Yeah sorry. 25%. I forgot that there's only like 3 of us per topic and we get flamed. It's really early in the morning

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Xasapis

That's nice publicity you generated for him right there.

Besides, do you really need TBs opinion to see what the general concensus is regarding Diablo? I think this site alone has exploded with complain threads.

This site also thinks GW2 is a big deal where no other big gaming site thinks so, and everyone on the board hates the mmo that is more popular than all the other mmos combined, not exactly the popular consensus.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by alexmino
    Originally posted by Xasapis

That's nice publicity you generated for him right there.

Besides, do you really need TBs opinion to see what the general concensus is regarding Diablo? I think this site alone has exploded with complain threads.

This site also thinks GW2 is a big deal where no other big gaming site thinks so, and everyone on the board hates the mmo that is more popular than all the other mmos combined, not exactly the popular consensus.

These statements really make you seem to be a typical Blizzard fanboi. GW2 is currently the highest trending and highest rated MMORPG ever in development. No other game has reached the recognition and acclaim it has pre launch. We will probably also soon learn that it has the highest prepurchase numbers of any PC game in history but that is just a guess on my part.

Now as for your remark about teh popular concensus maybe you should ahve done some research.... Diablo 3 has a negative review and rating on almsot every single website that tracks such things as critic and user reviews. Blizzards own D3 forum is blown up with negative threads.... I would say TB's opinions and those of MMORPG.com users are pretty much a mirror of the popular concensus.

• seiiyaseiiya Member Posts: 24

D3 is kinda crap game looks like an old hack n slash game

D2--->D3 end of story

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

That's nice and all, but he doesn't really say anything negative about the game itself as much as he justifiably rants about the technology behind it and services related to the game. Which DO deserve to be ranted against given the launch day debacle, but whether such potential problems offset the benefits is up to individual judgement.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

He is almost on all accounts right and spot on, plus OP totally misunderstood TB rant about D3.

TB is absolutely correct about TL2 its way more value for money without the bullshit DRM D3 have and all its limitations from a money hungry grabbibg bullshit company called blizzard/activision.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

This thread is annoying. Why should ANYONE "GO" by anyones opinion. Try things for yourself. Don't base your thoughts on the basis of others regardless if negative or positive.

TB is wrong about a lot of things. This isn't thread worthy, but it is comment-on-youtube worthy, so I suggest doing it there!