Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't go by Total Biscuit's completely misinformed review/rant of D3

FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I generally appreciate his input, but this review/rant is a total hack job of misinformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WbqdYuba4&feature=plcp

He has several misconceptions/biases about D3.

1) He seems to think the scene can hack the game to be playable offline.  That's an absolute joke.  The best they can do is make it easier to connect to a server emulation once they are written.  I don't think he even grasps server/client relationships.

2) He seems to only care about the game as a single player game.  As such, he doesn't care about item hacking or bnet cheating.  He completely minimizes the benefit of storing all characters on their servers and running most of the code on their servers.  That doesn't mean that

3) He only sees the evils of the RMAH and completely ignores the gold AH.  Ever tried trading items in D2.  the options were to create a game name with the trade you wanted, but if it wasn't elite good luck.  The other popular method was  D2JSP, where one person profited financially and trades were not secure.  You might get a refund from d2jsp if you got scammed, but that's a major hassle.

4)  He's not even a fan of the genre and thus he clearly wasn't a serious online D2 player and doesn't understand the appeal.  Which is why he sees TL2, with an open BNET type of system, and POE which also is online only,as comparable.

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

That wasn't a Diablo 3 review.

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

I love how everyone hangs on his (Total Biscuit's) word as gospel when there's a chance it will aid their piling on, but when it goes against something they like it's akin to denouncing your prophet.

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

Yeah sounds more like a rant of non likes then a review. What did he review about D3? 

All I heard was what he did not like.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

He sounds buthurt.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

If you want a simple single player hack&slash and aren't that interested in the genre, like Total Biscuit, then definitely buy Torchlight 2 for $20.  But don't take his review as being a well informed critique of the genre or the game.

Excuse me?... why would I buy Torchlight 2 if I wasn't interested in the genre?

You diss TB for not liking Diablo 3 as much as you do but then go and critique a game that isn't even out yet.

The fact that Torchlight 2 can compare with a game created by the richest company in the business and with such a ridiculous development time, says loads about it :)

..Cake..

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

That's nice publicity you generated for him right there.

Besides, do you really need TBs opinion to see what the general concensus is regarding Diablo? I think this site alone has exploded with complain threads.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I generally appreciate his input, but this review/rant is a total hack job of misinformation.

1) He seems to think the scene can hack the game to be playable offline.  That's an absolute joke.  The best they can do is make it easier to connect to a server emulation once they are written.  I don't think he even grasps server/client relationships.

2) He seems to only care about the game as a single player game.  As such, he doesn't care about item hacking or bnet cheating.  He completely minimizes the benefit of storing all characters on their servers and running most of the code on their servers.  That doesn't mean that

3) He only sees the evils of the RMAH and completely ignores the gold AH.  Ever tried trading items in D2.  the options were to create a game name with the trade you wanted, but if it wasn't elite good luck.  The other popular method was  D2JSP, where one person profited financially and trades were not secure.  You might get a refund from d2jsp if you got scammed, but that's a major hassle.

4)  He's not even a fan of the genre and thus he clearly wasn't a serious online D2 player and doesn't understand the appeal.  Which is why he sees TL2, with an open BNET type of system, and POE which also is online only,as comparable.

Sorry but I agreed with most every word he said. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Ever since his rant about World of Warcraft, I've considered TotalBiscuit to be an absolute tard.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

thanks for the link

EDIT:  After watching the video, I have to say that I agree with the majority of his complaints. 

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by sgel

You diss TB for not liking Diablo 3 as much as you do but then go and critique a game that isn't even out yet.

TB said all of that....

OP just repeated what he said,

Im confused what your trying to say....?

EDIT(TB Also said the same thing about torchlight 2, OP just put it in his own words)

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

Why did so much people buy Diablo 3? Well, I suppose most of the sales come from WoW players who won it as a bonus from the subscription scam promotion.

Still, D3 is not a bad game, it's just a game designed for people who have played and enjoyed the prequel.

Cause, really, if you're not into the genre (which most ppl aren't) and have not played D2 (which most ppl haven't), you're not gonna enjoy it. I dunno why Blizzard shoved Diablo 3 down everyone's throats when it's clearly not a game for all tastes.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I didn't watch the video because i don't like Total Biscuit.

However, the points you bring up are actually true about Diablo 3.

The RMAH is a money-grab for Blizzard. Nothing more, nothing less. The gold-farming markets have already began undercutting the RMAH....funny that huh?

Not to mention the DRM simply should not exist. Who cares about "Open B-Net"? NO ONE who actually bought the game cared about Open-Bnet. Pretty much anyone who cared about Diablo 2 played on Closed Bnet to stay away from hackers (which, by the by, already exist in Diablo 3 in the form of maphacks). So trying to create false information claiming that DRM is a "good thing" is actually a bad deal.

Lastly, Diablo 3 isn't a true successor to Diablo 2. Diablo 3 is beyond dumbed down to the point it cannot even be called a sequel in the franchise. Not to mention the art-style is horridly different than D2 or D1. 

So if he mentioned any of that in the video then that'll be the first time i've ever heard Total Biscuit say anything decent. Just saying....

Oh, and TorchLight looks like crap. I'm sorry, but the art-style they went with screams attention from the 12yr old audience whom like Wizard101. So TorchLight isn't even in the same category as the Diablo franchise USED to be.

Not to mention that POE is billed as an "Action RPG MMO", and not actually a single-player ARPG like Diablo 1 or 2 were able to be. So not really a fair comparison either, though I do see where you were coming from.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Ditto.  Totally.  

Im not the biggest fan of TotalBiscuit and he has gotten on my nerves a few times, but he's hit the nail on the head.   He basically just got done saying everything and more, that Ive been saying here for the last two days. 

Also OP.....  If they can emulate a WoW server, or any mmo they care too, I cant find a reason in the world hackers will not emulate Diablo 3.  Its very likely to happen.  Would probably take 6 months to a year but I expect it to happen. 

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Why take anything TotalBiscuit or really other people say seriously? Most people who making a living off doing this are pertty inaccurate and have their own agenda to follow. Personally at least some of the random personally review are much more honest than popular reviewers.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by sgel

Excuse me?... why would I buy Torchlight 2 if I wasn't interested in the genre?

The fact that Torchlight 2 can compare with a game created by the richest company in the business and with such a ridiculous development time, says loads about it :)

Except ... it cant

T2 is great game. I mean i love it!

I finished Torchlight 1 , over 3 times + grinded the endgame random levels to no end. I still play it to this day (and i bought it on first day it was launched)

And Torchlight 2 (judging from beta) is many times better !

And with all this said and done

Torchlight can barely lick boots of Diablo 3 ... its so so far away in quality

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I have to agree with TB.

ActivisionBlizzard is not the old Blizzard anymore.

They are like the EA twins.

The Online DRM is not for players benefit, its all for the RMAH.

RMAH is fking virtual printing money machine for them.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I will say, it felt more like a review about Torchlight 2 rather than D3. Though I agree with his assessment of D3, if the video was supposed to be a D3 review, he should have tried to have been more objective. However, not all reviews will be "fair". If a reviewer is not impressed by the game, then you'll get a negative review; if he is impressed, then it will prob mostly be a positive review. To demand that all reviews be impartial and have an equal balance between positive and negative feedback, though preferable, is not realistic.

Having said that, I think he made great and very true points regarding D3. I typed "Err" on google, like he pointed out, and sure enough "error 37" came out; I think he does have a good point there (regarding Blizzard's D3 release disaster)

I think the strongest argument he made was the fact that it seems (as does he, I, and many others believe) that the mindset of Blizzard behind the design of D3 revolved primarily and exclusively around the RMAH. Why else would you force singleplayers to have to log on and remain online? Not only are you setting yourself up for failure (as he pointed out), but it really makes no sense at all. Blizzard could have very easily have made two separate modes for D3, the online (with RMAH access) multiplayer mode and the reg (not online, lan accessible) singleplayer mode. Why didn't Blizzard do that, just as Total Biscuit said, because of the RMAH; simple as that.

People will say, well all companies do that, so why hate on Blizzard for doing it. It is one thing for a B2P/F2P mmorpg to have a cash shop (wow has it and yet has monthly subs), it is another for an ARPG (a singleplayer game with multiplayer online option available) to have one. Not just that, but to force singleplayers to have to log online, wait in queues, and risk online server related issues (fair enough for a mmorpg, not for a singleplayer arpg) for me is intolerable. For that reason alone (amongst other reasons) I have not purchased D3.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Besides, do you really need TBs opinion to see what the general concensus is regarding Diablo? I think this site alone has exploded with complain threads.

So naive, the millions enjoying the game never goto a forum to bitch and moan. Thats why if you took a sample of this forum, WoW would be the least successful MMO of all time rather than the most.

I suppose for you, the world does not exist outside these forums though.

Originally posted by xmenty

I have to agree with TB.

ActivisionBlizzard is not the old Blizzard anymore.

They are like the EA twins.

The Online DRM is not for players benefit, its all for the RMAH.

RMAH is fking virtual printing money machine for them.

agree, completely agree, totally agree and absolutely agree

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Lastly, Diablo 3 isn't a true successor to Diablo 2. Diablo 3 is beyond dumbed down to the point it cannot even be called a sequel in the franchise. Not to mention the art-style is horridly different than D2 or D1. 

Diablo 2 was hardly a successor to Diablo 1 if you wanna nit pick. The art style was far less dark and gritty, the skill system was less open you were locked into a more rigid class.

Honestly, i am loving D3 and if people like you and others would get your heads out of your asses long enough to see the good stuff you might enjoy it too!

I swear the internet was built for cynics.

"People took DAYS off work to play this game, and as a result of Blizzard's decisions, they're not able to do so!"  So, I'm annoyed on behalf of them.  It is, in fact, possible to feel empathy for people folks, it really is."

Jesus, really?  He feels empathy for mature adults who called in sick from work to stay at home to play a video game?  This is just a mere sample of the sensationalist bandwagon jumping nonsense he hops on every now and again that I can only assume is a mad grab for channel views.  It really goes to show you what an absolute fool the man is.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Corehaven
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Ditto.  Totally.  

Im not the biggest fan of TotalBiscuit and he has gotten on my nerves a few times, but he's hit the nail on the head.   He basically just got done saying everything and more, that Ive been saying here for the last two days. 

Also OP.....  If they can emulate a WoW server, or any mmo they care too, I cant find a reason in the world hackers will not emulate Diablo 3.  Its very likely to happen.  Would probably take 6 months to a year but I expect it to happen. 

Where did I say they couldn't emulate D3?  They definitely will in the next 6-9 months.  But I'm pretty sure it's not "the scene" that does that. He implied the scene could hack the disk and somehow find a server in there.  Totally ludicrous and ignorant.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

"People took DAYS off work to play this game, and as a result of Blizzard's decisions, they're not able to do so!"  So, I'm annoyed on behalf of them.  It is, in fact, possible to feel empathy for people folks, it really is."

Jesus, really?  He feels empathy for mature adults who called in sick from work to stay at home to play a video game?  This is just a mere sample of the sensationalist bandwagon jumping nonsense he hops on every now and again that I can only assume is a mad grab for channel views.  It really goes to show you what an absolute fool the man is.

You may not agree with the adults who took time off to play a video game, but regardless of the reason, if anyone took time off to enjoy any hobby and then were not able due to not fault of their own but the company that provided the hobby, I would feel empathy for them. They probably lost a sick/vacation day or lost a little pay. Some may take time off to go to Dinsey World with their familes, others will take time off to play video games with their kids, family members, or friends. Either way, if both situations were ruined I would indeed feel bad for them.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Xasapis

So naive, the millions enjoying the game never goto a forum to bitch and moan. Thats why if you took a sample of this forum, WoW would be the least successful MMO of all time rather than the most.

I suppose for you, the world does not exist outside these forums though.

Far from it. Personally other games keep me away from Diablo right now. The thing is, for those interested in forums such as this (and is obviously not the majority that buys games in general), there are plenty of threads discussing issues, without bringing outside "evidence" about the game's problems, real or imaginary.

In any case, you fail to understand the function and necessity of these forums. These are not for people who have settled in an mmorpg and are having fun with it, but those who have moved on and are looking for something else, something different. It is obvious that the majority here probably has played WoW, but it's also obvious that are here to look for alternative to WoW mmorpg and not sit here and praise its merits. This holds true for pretty much everything in the market, it's just that the more popular mmorpgs will have the most people looking for other things to play.

Originally posted by joocheese
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

You may not agree with the adults who took time off to play a video game, but regardless of the reason, if anyone took time off to enjoy any hobby and then were not able due to not fault of their own but the company that provided the hobby, I would feel empathy for them. They probably lost a sick/vacation day or lost a little pay. Some may take time off to go to Dinsey World with their familes, others will take time off to play video games with their kids, family members, or friends. Either way, if both situations were ruined I would indeed feel bad for them.

Are we honestly comparing taking off work to sit around and play Diablo 3 to taking a vacation to Disney World?  I know where all gamers, but sweet mary, that's not even close to the same thing.

If you take work to go see a movie, to go fishing, or to play video games and something prevents you from doing so, you have no one to blame but yourself for your lost productivity.  Those people made a conscious choice to skip work for a day to play a video game, and now they must suffer the repercussions for doing so.  If they're not able to accept what they've lost then they really weren't mature enough to decide to skip in the first place.