Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3.6/10 user score with 2071 reviews on Metacritic

Comments

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Siveria

Guess the fanboys relised the game is nothing like diablo 2, and shouldn't even really be called Diablo at all. Took them long enough imo.

They said the same thing about Diablo 2 being nothing like Diablo 1.  Of course all three of them having Diablo as the main focus may have something to do with the name.

All I know is this oO

D2 - 8.5 out of 236 ratings.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-ii

D3 - 3.6 out of 2198 ratings.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

And how long after D2's release did metacritic actually launch their site? See I remember the D2 launch. I was in line the moment it went on sale. I remember the invalid CD keys, overcrowding, and hundreds of bad installation disks. I bet none of that was mentioned on metacritic.

Metacritic launched Jan, 2001.

D2 launched June 2000 for PC and July 2000 for Mac.

So you are right.........

D2: Lord of Destruction Launched June 2001 - 9.0 out of 173 ratings.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction

Same excuse or are we going with a new one this time?

In 2001, Blizzard was viewed by a good number of gamers as one of the top development studios in the biz. Now that they've been on top for so long they draw the hipster hate. 

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Dalano

Guess the fanboys relised the game is nothing like diablo 2, and shouldn't even really be called Diablo at all. Took them long enough imo.

They said the same thing about Diablo 2 being nothing like Diablo 1.  Of course all three of them having Diablo as the main focus may have something to do with the name.

All I know is this oO

And how long after D2's release did metacritic actually launch their site? See I remember the D2 launch. I was in line the moment it went on sale. I remember the invalid CD keys, overcrowding, and hundreds of bad installation disks. I bet none of that was mentioned on metacritic.

In 2001, Blizzard was viewed by a good number of gamers as one of the top development studios in the biz. Now that they've been on top for so long they draw the hipster hate. 

Yep, has nothing to do with anything they've done....... it's just hipsters hating on Blizzard.

So far people have LOVED Real ID and Online Only Single player games. It's not because quality and content has been slipping in favor of maximizing profits. These things have been universally well recieved. Those complaining don't really dislike Diablo 3 or the server issues, they don't really dislike the gameplay or the art and graphics. They don't dislike the story or having to rerun levels over and over.

It's just hipsters hating on Blizzard for being number 1.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by dubyahite
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by TurkeyBurger

[snip]

Who cares.

Metacritic is not a review website, its an opinion aggregation website.

Its like likes on facebook. You don't get to say which ones are "valid" and which ones aren't.

The MC score is representative of the global feel about a game, nothing more, nothing less.

That's untrue. With big releases like this one it is often more representative of how many campaigns were started to rate the game 0 with poorly written reviews and how many competitors can game the system.

There are real user reviews in there, I'm not denying that, but the point is there is a lot more complete garbage. 

And I'm sorry, but saying Metacritic is not a review website is a bit disingenuous. The button I clicked said "User Reviews."  When you post a review it says "Review this game."  

And yes I do get to say which ones are valid. The guy complaining that you don't get to play Diablo so he gave it a 0 or whatever, yeah that's complete crap. The guy saying that it needs horde and alliance...complete crap.  Just like anyone that posted " Best game evar zomg I love this game wow its amazing" would not be a good review. 

You are advocating large scale conspiracy.

And no you don't get to say whats valid or not, because there is no objective standard for rating.

QED

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

All I know is this oO

Yep, has nothing to do with anything they've done....... it's just hipsters hating on Blizzard.

So far people have LOVED Real ID and Online Only Single player games. It's not because quality and content has been slipping in favor of maximizing profits. These things have been universally well recieved. Those complaining don't really dislike Diablo 3 or the server issues, they don't really dislike the gameplay or the art and graphics. They don't dislike the story or having to rerun levels over and over.

People complained about RealID and single player online games. They still lined up to help Blizzard set new sales records and they're doing it again. I'm going with actions speak louder than words.  

Yep, from the numbers I've seen so far it seems to be between 3.6m and 4m that lined up in droves to buy it. Though 1.4m were given the game free with their  WoW pass. So that cuts it down a bit, but it's still a respectable number.  They are still pushing between 1-3mil, while not bad it's not exactly great for a Blizzard game coasting on its name.

I think that kind of speaks loud and clear on it's own.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I've never ever jumped on the Bli$$ard bang wagon and have no intention of doing so now. For me they care only about your $$ or ££ or whatever country you are from money makes them crack out this crap. Until us the consumer stop buying this type of rubbish then companies such as Bli$$ard or $OE will keep turning it out when will the consumer learn.

Wow never got my money for will D3 0/10 from me and that's cuz I don't give a hoot about their products.

Asbo

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I actually had zero expectations on Diablo 3 but it is actually really good, when it is working.  It is down a lot which is inexcusable, but the game itself is very fun.  Ignoring the server issues, I'd give it at least a 9.  In my view the bad reviews are mostly people raging over the server outages and the requirement to be logged in at all times.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Lol @ people thinking these are actually real ratings of the game and not due to the server issues.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452

All I know is this oO

People complained about RealID and single player online games. They still lined up to help Blizzard set new sales records and they're doing it again. I'm going with actions speak louder than words.  

Actions do speak louder than words. People buying the game in droves is highly contrary to the vocal minority spewing hate on Metacritic.

I, personally, read between the lines when reading reviews. Professional reviews are worthless to me other than to tell me what the game is about. They've scored total bombs of games well and tend to over-sell anything that isnt just total crap. The most recent MW has great reveiwer scores, bad user scores, sold very well.

User scores cannot be taken at face value and the actual number provided is worthless. Read what is being said about whats bad and take that into account rather than what their opinion of the game is. The game not working day 1 pissed me off. But once I got into the game and started playing it, it was far better than a 3.6. Is the game a 9 or 10? Don't know. But so far I am getting a lot of what I expected and wanted.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

the game is absoutely amazing. ive a lvl 26 monk and the amount of viable, fun builds is staggering. D3 will keep many busy until GW2 is out, and then some.

metacritic rage-reviewing doesnt phase me one bit. it didnt for ME3, in which i invested about 250 hours, and it wont for D3 =)

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    You guys are crazy I you actually believe that Diablo is a 3 out of 10. Absolutely crazy.

Metacritic user reviews are very binary. If anything pisses them of they give it a 0. If they like it they go 10.

There are like 900 scores of zero.

This game is a freaking 8 or 9. Seriously stupid.

The blizzard hate patrol is going to jump all over this like it actually means something, when it doesn't.

All those people that are pissed about not being able to connect? Yeah they are playing the crap out of the game right now. They love it. They are the people that were awake at launch time with mountain dew and pizza and adult diapers to play for 20 hours straight.

They are the nerd rage contingent. They will post everywhere about how terrible the game is, but then they will play it. They will buy CE an they will play it.

Don't kid yourself, every 0 score on there is playing the game still and loving it. If they even bought the game at all.

Money talks.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Well, I can't stop playing so...it's a 9 out of 10 for me.  Would be 10 out of 10 but the server issues bring it down a point hehe.

• Major69er1Major69er1 Member UncommonPosts: 133

umm servers down again 1/10 is my vote

Haha, people keep saying that the reviews aren't about the servers being down, but look there's one popping up in this thread now!.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

I don't really give 2 shits what any of you haters say, I've been playing the shit out of it with a couple of friends and this is the BEST multiplayer experience I have played in a long time.  Sure it had it's hiccups on release day but what game doesn't?  We are in act 3 right now and it just keeps getting better and better.  Not sure who the hell said they beat it in 8-12 hours, I've already invested 12 and I am no noob when it comes to Diablo.  First time through I watch all cutscenes and listen to the dialogue.  After that I'll skip it, but the story is so good and the action is fierce, combat is brutal and the loot is just gravy.  10/10

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202

Alright, so yesterday at midnight I tried playing the game...And gave up.  I woke up at about 430am and took my dog for a walk, then at 5am I sat down to play the game and was able to log in...I played until 6am and actually had alot of fun, then off to work.  Stressful day, and on my way home all I wanted to do was grab my beer and have a smoke then sit down and play D3...Which I was able to play for 2 hours before the servers went down.  Dang.  Woke up at 530 and played the game for half an hour, then went off to work.  Got home, grabbed a beer and a smoke, then sat down...and after an hour and a half, the servers went down again.

I'm only playing single player...I want to play the game I spent 60 usd on....And I can't....It's a fun game, more or less, though I wish the outdoor areas were much bigger and I ignore the pointy arrows and pulsating circles (can you turn those off?).  Still...It's very very very very annoying that I cannot play this game every time the server goes down...what happens when I'm fighting a boss and a big treasure drops and I'm logged out due to server updates?  I'm 33 years old...I want to play the game that I had to save up for two months to pay for.  (yes, I budget my money, and put asside extra cash and gave up other fun things so as to buy this game).

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Been enjoying the game just fine, I would place the game between a 7 and an 8.  

Guess the secret was that I didn't hype myself into a tizzy like some who heralded this game like the second coming of christ.  Oh, and I skipped midnight release, I worked that day, and picked up the game after work.  By the time I got the game installed, took a shower, made some food (yeah, priorities...) the servers were just fine if a little laggy.

Also, metacritic user reviews on most big name releases seem to get some serious vitriol.  I would imagine that is because the people who are actually enjoying the game are too busy playing it to bother going to some website to give their thoughts on it.  Meanwhile, the people who are upset or angry over the game are trying to find a place to vent.

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by TurkeyB
    Originally posted by mad-hatter

I don't really give 2 shits what any of you haters say, I've been playing the shit out of it with a couple of friends and this is the BEST multiplayer experience I have played in a long time.  Sure it had it's hiccups on release day but what game doesn't?  We are in act 3 right now and it just keeps getting better and better.  Not sure who the hell said they beat it in 8-12 hours, I've already invested 12 and I am no noob when it comes to Diablo.  First time through I watch all cutscenes and listen to the dialogue.  After that I'll skip it, but the story is so good and the action is fierce, combat is brutal and the loot is just gravy.  10/10

0/10 troll thread. Rabid fanboy paid corporate shill. Enjoy Blizzard standing up on your table and dropping a stanley steamer onto your plate. We get it you LOVE the taste of shit. You wish blizzard would skip the middle man and just shit directly into your mouth so you could tell everyone how amazing the taste of shit is. You want to chew Blizzards turds endlessly. We get it.

10/10 because the taste of turds and shit is so delicious!

If you credit that review as a 100% worthless review, then you must, by default, credit the opposite reviews the same. Both provide an unreliable and unclear picture of what the game really is. Both provide a numerical score un-telling of the real story or relatable experience.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Of course the low rating for SWTOR on metacritic is deserved, but the low rating for D3 is inconsequential....

Pardon me while I fucking laugh out loud at all the hypocrits.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Originally posted by loeslein

This would imply that the hundreds of games on Metacritic that got 4's, 5's and 6's are better than Diablo 3.

So go play those.  I'm sure you'll have a blast.

this made to some degree my already great day...^^
    ...played D3 now for 36 hours. game is out for 52...

First playthrough normal mode, second hardcore. next thing is hardcore nightmare...last time I had this much fun with a MP title is long ago. Playing games since the 8bit generation.

So yeah, nice meta score indeed. (:

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

people still listen to metacritic? i thought they would get tired of the 10/10 and 1/10 whiney fanboy revies by now.

"noes, this game isnt exaclty what i wanted, 1/10!!!11!11"

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by mad-hatter

I'm glad you are enjoying the game, and it's decent no doubt. Remember just because you don't beat it in 8hours, doesn't mean somebody else couldn't.

What game doesn't have hiccups? Did you really write that? Haha sorry I'm being a bit of a jerk now. But please tell me what hack and slash game had trouble at launch like diablo 3. None, zero, nada. You know why? Because they where not online only. 

I can respect people buying the game because they love it. But the problems are unnecessary, and there is really no justification for doing it. Other companies may follow and think it's okay to do this. It's not, in 2012 we shoulds be moving forward, having no region locked bullshit, we should be moving forward. Online only drm is not. It's a huge step back, and it's sad to see people sometimes blindingly accepting it.

Fine buy and enjoy your game, but you shouldn't think this practice is acceptable. There is no justification for it.

No you got it Erin warnaster, they let you rate the game a 0.

Zero, I can't imagine what a game that could realistically get a zero would be like. What does that even mean?

I would say zero would be that the game doesn't actually exist/never got released.

Who are these idiots that seriously think any game is a zero, let alone a AAA title. Funny stuff.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    No you got it Erin warnaster, they let you rate the game a 0.

Zero, I can't imagine what a game that could realistically get a zero would be like. What does that even mean?

I would say zero would be that the game doesn't actually exist/never got released.

Who are these idiots that seriously think any game is a zero, let alone a AAA title. Funny stuff.

Wow, thats especially sad, even teh worst games out there dont deserve a zero.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Dredphyre

Of course the low rating for SWTOR on metacritic is deserved, but the low rating for D3 is inconsequential....

Pardon me while fucking laugh out loud at all the hypocrits.

read the reviews.  they were made by people who couldn't log in lol.  Think about the purpose of a review?

two weeks down the road when everything is stable and no one even remembers the server problems, how relevant will those reviews be, especially to new buyers?

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by Dredphyre

Pardon me while I fucking laugh out loud at all the hypocrits.

Yea, I actually went and tried to find a game that I thought the ratings were way off on. I couldn't find one. 

Morrowind - 9.6

Skyrim - 8.1

Minecraft - 6.8

Asheron's Call - 9.6

WoW - 6.9

SWTOR - 5.7

I just randomly pulled up these games, and besides AC being rated a bit too high I don't disagree with any of these. I generally agree with aggregate metacritic scores 100% of the time. Obviously, that community likes games with some sort of depth, and they do not like games that are similar to other games. If someone's taste don't run that way I wouldn't expect them to use metacritic. They can use the paid for reviews from gamespot and others that rate crap/mediocre games outrageously high.

Undoubtedly, the rating for D3 will go up, but its still being percieved by a boatload of people as not good enough. I'm gonna trust that, and not buy it for a few years - if ever.