Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

TERA - To buy or not to buy? That is the question!

124»

Comments

  • Originally posted by rexzshadow
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by BeenGaming
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

    as they both focus on action combat

    Guild Wars 2 uses standard MMO targeting. You should look into the game more so you're not surprised when you install it.

    No it has soft targetting. I only used targetting sometimes. I was hitting mobs with melee and ranged skills without using a target. Nice thing about GW2 is you have the option to use both, target or not target to attack. Maybe you should read up on your games ;) 

    Thats dynamic combat, not action combat. Even if its opitional its still there, and you auto target when you look at a monster anyways even if you don't use tab targetting. Its dynamic combat not action combat.


    No.  Melee in GW2 has no need or use for targeting.  You hit whatever your swing hits.

     

    And don't act like TERA doesn't have target locks.  It does.  Certain skills are called Lock on skills and they are similar to tab target and just like GW2 its mostly only applicable to certain  ranged stuff.

  • EndDreamEndDream orange county, CAPosts: 1,152Member
    I really think its worth it. I haven't read the whole thread but I'm sure many complain about the standard questing. This is true, it's pretty standard. However I think a lot of games that have or will be releasing lately are to focused on fixing the questing problem and keeping th rest of the game similar. I wasn't even anticipating Tera. I Bairly decided to try the open beta. But I love the game now. The biggest problem with mmos now is stale combat. Tera fixes this problem and looks and runs great doing it. SWTOR Greatly improved questing from wow in my opinion but it ran and played like crap. Gw2 appears to run poorly and focus on fixing questing also. So I'm gonna stick with Tera, at least until the mythical AAA sandbox arrives. ;)

    Remember Old School Ultima Online

  • BeenGamingBeenGaming los angeles, CAPosts: 44Member
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by rexzshadow
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by BeenGaming
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

    as they both focus on action combat

    Guild Wars 2 uses standard MMO targeting. You should look into the game more so you're not surprised when you install it.

    No it has soft targetting. I only used targetting sometimes. I was hitting mobs with melee and ranged skills without using a target. Nice thing about GW2 is you have the option to use both, target or not target to attack. Maybe you should read up on your games ;) 

    Thats dynamic combat, not action combat. Even if its opitional its still there, and you auto target when you look at a monster anyways even if you don't use tab targetting. Its dynamic combat not action combat.


    No.  Melee in GW2 has no need or use for targeting.  You hit whatever your swing hits.

     

    And don't act like TERA doesn't have target locks.  It does.  Certain skills are called Lock on skills and they are similar to tab target and just like GW2 its mostly only applicable to certain  ranged stuff.

    However you have to actually aim over the person(s) and actually lock a targeting reticule on them with spells like flame barrage.

     

    Also I'm well aware of its soft-targeting system which also has skill-press target at nearest target in frontal cone much like serpent sting. It's quite a long ways away from what people are dubbing "action combat" (which is a dumb moniker by the way but it seems to be what is popular to refer to it as). If you're trying to dub the cleave collision in GW2's model as the equivalent of Tera's combat model you're making quite a long leap.

     

    Personally I'm planning on playing Guild Wars 2 as well, so long as character movement is rendered as responsively as WoW and Tera. The only thing that would prevent me from playing the game would be if it were to feel like Rift in and so far as the control of the character itself is concerned. Despite the fact that I'm looking forward to GW2 however, that doesn't make Tera a bad game (it's quite the opposite and personally I have no problem extending my subscription to it concurrently with playing GW2 on the side free of monthly fee) and it doesn't make GW2's combat system comparible to it, even if you say they're the same really really loud.

  • rexzshadowrexzshadow stockton, CAPosts: 1,428Member
    Originally posted by gestalt11


    No.  Melee in GW2 has no need or use for targeting.  You hit whatever your swing hits.

     

    And don't act like TERA doesn't have target locks.  It does.  Certain skills are called Lock on skills and they are similar to tab target and just like GW2 its mostly only applicable to certain  ranged stuff.

    About 1-2 skill are lock on in Tera and only range have them. And they are all dodgble and blockable.

    Originally posted by gestalt11

    This whoe GW2 vs TERA thing is stupid.  They are both action-ish.  Regardless of this standard line about targeting.  The fact is TERA is capable of exactly the same targeting as GW2 through slightly different means.  They both have similar consequences for attacks etc.

     

    But that doesn't mean they play the same way.  The two games do not foster the same tactics.  Tactics that are successful in TERA would get you killed in GW2.  TERA is a role based game GW2 is not.

     

    One is not a substitute for the other.  You may play one instead of the other but do not think that because they share some basic mechanics that the combat plays out similarly.  They don't they are VERY far apart.

    Not even close to have the same consequence -.- First of all in Tera your attack root you meaning after every attack yoru open to counter attack. GW2 not only can you move while using instant cast, you can move while casting skill with cast time and use instant cast while casting a cast time skill.... what consquence? You pretty much took out all the consquence a skill with cast time has.

    Also since GW2 doesn't use mana and use those... idk what they are called but those points that regan over time. Tera you can't run around hopeing for your mana to come back to use skill, you have to go in and attack to get them back making you very vunlarable. Which means you can't waste skills and stall for mp regen.

  • rexzshadowrexzshadow stockton, CAPosts: 1,428Member
    Originally posted by EndDream
    I really think its worth it. I haven't read the whole thread but I'm sure many complain about the standard questing. This is true, it's pretty standard. However I think a lot of games that have or will be releasing lately are to focused on fixing the questing problem and keeping th rest of the game similar. I wasn't even anticipating Tera. I Bairly decided to try the open beta. But I love the game now. The biggest problem with mmos now is stale combat. Tera fixes this problem and looks and runs great doing it. SWTOR Greatly improved questing from wow in my opinion but it ran and played like crap. Gw2 appears to run poorly and focus on fixing questing also. So I'm gonna stick with Tera, at least until the mythical AA sandbox arrives. ;)

    Fixed it for you =P

  • VorchVorch Somewhere, FLPosts: 800Member

    well, now TERA is P2P with a cash shop...

     

    ...I'm starting to get upset. I thought P2P was supposed to have the advantage of having all cosmetic items available to you.

    "As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,462Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vorch

    well, now TERA is P2P with a cash shop...

     

    ...I'm starting to get upset. I thought P2P was supposed to have the advantage of having all cosmetic items available to you.

    The trend has been to add cash shops for cosmetic items to pay to play games. This has has happened already, it's not new.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vorch

    well, now TERA is P2P with a cash shop...

     

    ...I'm starting to get upset. I thought P2P was supposed to have the advantage of having all cosmetic items available to you.

    I don't think it's a huge thing. It is however a dumb time to kick it off. It seems like people that were on the fence of resubbing for the first month probably won't now. That is going to hurt the playerbase a bit. 

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • xxtriadxxxxtriadxx TherePosts: 134Member Uncommon

    Don't..the combat is fun for a bit but beyond thats its nothing but your typical asian grinder style mmo.

  • mWo4lifemWo4life pePosts: 119Member

    I think TERA is worth the buy. Its only 50$ and u can play for entire month with this. I don't regret spending this money on it. Whether I will stay for one more month is totally different story. Not sure yet. The game is fun, but i'm starting to feel board of only killling 10 of this or that. Maybe I just need one or two days off, as I've been playing tera everyday since early access. 

     

     

     

     

  • AqueAque Hemet, CAPosts: 118Member

    Its really up to you if you want to buy it, everyone likes different games.

    I bought it, I am playing it, and I am still loving it.

    ( Lvl 45 Mystic, PvP server,)

  • ButtskiButtski NilPosts: 185Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by xxtriadxx

    Don't..the combat is fun for a bit but beyond thats its nothing but your typical asian grinder style mmo.

    this. oh and cut out the content any other mmo has (even the trash ones).

124»
Sign In or Register to comment.