Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EME Opens up The Cash Shop

Comments

• ErocketErocket Member Posts: 5

Soo wait, a character remodel/gender change/race change should be included with the subsription? Also some fancy outrageous weapon skins, that only apply over a weapon you already have is a horrible cash shop? Yes this is all stuff that completely changes how people play the game.These aren't even "conveniance" items that make playing through easier/faster. Last time I checked most MMOs have some sort of character remodel feature that costs real money. Seriously! 

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Otakun

P2P + cash shop = rip off. Whether it's P2W or not. 

Why? No one forces you to buy cosmetic items.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Erocket

Soo wait, a character remodel/gender change/race change should be included with the subsription? Also some fancy outrageous weapon skins, that only apply over a weapon you already have is a horrible cash shop? Yes this is all stuff that completely changes how people play the game.These aren't even "conveniance" items that make playing through easier/faster. Last time I checked most MMOs have some sort of character remodel feature that costs real money. Seriously! 

Included indeed or not available at all.

Originally posted by Ranyr

None forces you to pay a sub either,but you still do it because you want to enjoy the game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Zadawn Originally posted by BarCrow I know what many people mean. Just the other day ..living in Florida I went to Disney World. I paid full price to enter the park but I'll be damned if they didnt charge me for all the food and beverages as well as a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and a Pluto keychain. Pay to play at Disney World and Cash shop. Bullshit!!
    Because there's absolute no difference between disney world and a mmorpg.
    Well, they both are theme parks that let you ride everything for the price of admission and charge you extra for things such as clothing.

I think the analogy was pretty good actually.

It is absolutely not a good analogy.
    Food cost money. It then costs money to ship, then to prepare. It costs money to have employees prepare and serve, then clean up afterwards.

Souvenirs cost money to manufacture, shop warehouse and stock, Someone has to keep inventory etc.

In contrast, Anarchy Online has a player who volunteered to recreate inventory icons for many items in the game. That was one person in spare time. I think 15/mo could cover modding a few meshes.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    Originally posted by BarCrow

I know what many people mean. Just the other day ..living in Florida I went to Disney World. I paid full price to enter the park but I'll be damned if they didnt charge me for all the food and beverages as well as a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and a Pluto keychain. Pay to play at Disney World and Cash shop. Bullshit!!

Well, they both are theme parks that let you ride everything for the price of admission and charge you extra for things such as clothing.

Can you really make no difference between real life and a game?

Are you really unaware that you are taking the anaology too literally? 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

remodal chars, change name, server tranfer, etc are like small services.

A weapon skin is not a service, its a item. And in p2p model, we should have acess to all itens without paying extra money.

But this is only my opinion, not a gamebreaker for now, but can be just the beggining of a long path.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Love how everyone throwing a fit over these thing, same things WoW has for years, race change, server change, faction change. Yet when Tera have it everyone throws a fit like its never happened before.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by BarCrow I know what many people mean. Just the other day ..living in Florida I went to Disney World. I paid full price to enter the park but I'll be damned if they didnt charge me for all the food and beverages as well as a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and a Pluto keychain. Pay to play at Disney World and Cash shop. Bullshit!!

It is absolutely not a good analogy.
    Food cost money. It then costs money to ship, then to prepare. It costs money to have employees prepare and serve, then clean up afterwards.

Souvenirs cost money to manufacture, shop warehouse and stock, Someone has to keep inventory etc.

In contrast, Anarchy Online has a player who volunteered to recreate inventory icons for many items in the game. That was one person in spare time. I think 15/mo could cover modding a few meshes.

You are over thinking this and have lost the forest for the trees, probably better to return to the OP.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

That's a slippery slope argument. It's easy to say, "So what? I don't care about it, so it doesn't matter." But aesthetics do matter to a segment of the playerbase, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. For those people, charging extra for aesthetics means their subscription is giving them less than it used to. What if those people said, "I don't care about pvp, let them sell +stat pvp gear," or pvpers said "I don't care about raiding, let them sell +stat raid gear." Every part of the game matters to someone; the second you start charging micro-payments on top of subscriptions, somebody's getting screwed. If it's not you, great, but history indicates that they'll come for you eventually.

Originally posted by Jenuviel

That's a slippery slope argument. It's easy to say, "So what? I don't care about it, so it doesn't matter." But aesthetics do matter to a segment of the playerbase, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. For those people, charging extra for aestetics means their subscription is giving them less than it used to. What if those people said, "I don't care about pvp, let them sell +stat pvp gear," or pvpers said "I don't care about raiding, let them sell +stat raid gear." Every part of the game matters to someone; the second you start charging micro-payments on top of subscriptions, somebody's getting screwed. If it's not you, great, but history indicates that they'll come for you eventually; you already told them it was fine if they sold aesthetics, so what's one more step?

Vert well and neatly put.Thanks!

I know what many people mean. Just the other day ..living in Florida I went to Disney World. I paid full price to enter the park but I'll be damned if they didnt charge me for all the food and beverages as well as a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and a Pluto keychain. Pay to play at Disney World and Cash shop. Bullshit!!

Then lets say he would have been staring at the other people's food and beverages drooling.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

The difference is  how  is one is alright over the other in regards to what you pay for?

Why should one assume a box price  should get them everything else that is or may be created for an MMO?

Because one company does it?..oh that's right GW2 has a cash shop too. Plenty of people don't even want to pay a sub for a P2P. As if maintaining ass-loads of servers is free.Then they don't expect to pay for free to play games because they haven't grasped that nothings free...ever.

Why is so many expect this from an MMO and not from anything else you pay for ...like access to Disney World and everything within its gates for the admission price?

The difference is  how  is one is alright over the other in regards to what you pay for?

Why should one assume a box price  should get them everything else that is or may be created for an MMO?

Because one company does it?..oh that's right GW2 has a cash shop too. Plenty of people don't even want to pay a sub for a P2P. As if maintaining ass-loads of servers is free.Then they don't expect to pay for free to play games because they haven't grasped that nothings free...ever.

Why is so many expect this from an MMO and not from anything else you pay for ...like access to Disney World and everything within its gates for the admission price?

FIrst,it is most likely that the food,beverages and souvenir vendors are not linked to disney,which makes them independent therefore they need to make money,unlike an mmorpg where the extras are provided by the same company which also takes the money from the subs and boxes.

Secondly,if you have that much money that you cannot see when someone's trying to rip you off ,you should start realising that there are people who can see that and are not pleased with it.

Then lets say he would have been staring at the other people's food and beverages drooling.

That's really where the hatred comes from too. While others have no problem...the embittered ( or the "principled" as they would likely call themselves) stare and drool at what others have that they don't ...all the while crying "sour grapes".

I don't go hog wild in cash shops but I certainly don't mind them as an option and am not above getting that Slayer weapon-skin for $9.99 if I choose to fork out some cash from my very meager account.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

Because it's a completely mixed analogy. GW2 is buy-to-play; their cash shop takes the place of subscriptions. Similarly, free-to-play games use cash shops in place of subscriptions, but they sell a heck of a lot more. Tera is a subscription-based game; their subscription is supposed to take the place of cash shops. In the original Disneyland analogy, Disneyland would be B2P - the initial purchase gets you in and gives you access to the rides, but extras come out of your own pocket. F2P games would be like state fairs, where looking around is free, but everything else comes out of your own pocket. There isn't an amusement park model currently in existence that's analogous to subscription-based games. That's why it's a bad example.

That's really where the hatred comes from too. While others have no problem...the embittered ( or the "principled" as they would likely call themselves) stare and drool at what others have that they don't ...all the while crying "sour grapes".

I don't go hog wild in cash shops but I certainly don't mind them as an option and am not above getting that Slayer weapon-skin for $9.99 if I choose to fork out some cash from my very meager account.

When i purchased the box i expected to be equal with any other player .When i see they got something that i don't have access to unless i pay,i'm pissed.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

I know right ? WTH ? I mean these things let you buy weapons that let you wtpwn in PVP  and skip levels in PVE and get better equip than raiders and everything ,

Right ?

I mean surely they must do that because no one would really whine and complain about people being able to buy cosmetic items that have zero effect on gameplay.

Would they ? 

They would because it almost always starts like this and then little by little they start to add "convenience items" and then start adding weapons and armors but that is ok because you can get that in game as well (if you grind for endless hours) and eventually you will have a cash shop which is mostly Pay 2 Win.

They are using the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog syndrome which essentially means they are adding little by little, hoping you wont notice until you are "boiled alive".

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Cut and paste GW2 cash shop threads insert here. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Jenuviel

Because it's a completely mixed analogy. GW2 is Buy-to-play; their cash shop takes the place of subscriptions. Similarly, free-to-play games use cash shops in place of subscriptions, but they sell a heck of a lot more. Tera is a subscription-based game; their subscription is supposed to take the place of cash shops. In the original Disneyland analogy, Disneyland would be B2P - the initial purchase gets you in and gives you access to the rides, but extras come out of your own pocket. F2P games would be like state fairs, where looking around is free, but everything else comes out of your own pocket. There isn't an amusement park model currently in existence that's analogous to subscription-based games. That's why it's a bad example.

^ Is correct. It would be like going to Disney World, paying to get in, paying for each hour you are in, and also paying for food and souvenirs.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

When i purchased the box i expected to be equal with any other player .When i see they got something that i don't have access to unless i pay,i'm pissed.

Zadawn you play WoW...they sell $25 mounts, server transfers and the whole deal.

It's should just be expected now because people WILL buy this stuff, why wouldn't the company do this. Also I blame WoWs playerbase in a sense, they are the kings of getting milked and it makes billions for Blizzard. Why wouldn't other companies do the same...

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

I know right ? WTH ? I mean these things let you buy weapons that let you wtpwn in PVP  and skip levels in PVE and get better equip than raiders and everything ,

Right ?

I mean surely they must do that because no one would really whine and complain about people being able to buy cosmetic items that have zero effect on gameplay.

Would they ? 

They would because it almost always starts like this and then little by little they start to add "convenience items" and then start adding weapons and armors but that is ok because you can get that in game as well (if you grind for endless hours) and eventually you will have a cash shop which is mostly Pay 2 Win.

They are using the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog syndrome which essentially means they are adding little by little, hoping you wont notice until you are "boiled alive".

EQ and EQ2 have had cash shops for years and arent pay 2 win.  LOTRO is getting dangerously close though.

The odd thing about the TERA shop is even knowing it isnt a popular concept in the east, they released it before the first month is up.  This *will* cost them subs (although Im in the 'its no big deal if it stays fluff' camp.

Selling appearance changes the first month is kind of ridiculous though.  Just put in a barbershop.

FIrst,it is most likely that the food,beverages and souvenir vendors are not linked to disney,which makes them independent therefore they need to make money,unlike an mmorpg where the extras are provided by the same company which also takes the money from the subs and boxes.

Secondly,if you have that much money that you cannot see when someone's trying to rip you off ,you should start realising that there are people who can see that and are not pleased with it.

I have very little money. No ones ripping me off. I know there are people that are not pleased. But they dont have to buy anything.Nothing is necessary in that shop. Others..maybe..Enmasse's shop...no. They need to realize all cash shops are not the same.

As far as your outside vendor points and Geezergamers opinion that it's a terrible analogy ...I'm not going into that other than to say Kyleran was right..you two ( and many others I've noticed) take analogies too literally.

a basic definition of an analogy: a form of reasoning in which one thing is inferred to be similarto another thing in a certain respect, on the basis of the known similarity between the things in other respects.  

Take an analogy they give as example:: l a heart is like like a pump.

They both pump a fluid..but not too many pumps are made of living tissue as far as I know and no hearts pump gasoline so this analogy must be a poor one too. Right?

Analogies do not require every single aspect you can pick apart to be identical.

Too literal people. Come on.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by rexzshadow

Love how everyone throwing a fit over these thing, same things WoW has for years, race change, server change, faction change. Yet when Tera have it everyone throws a fit like its never happened before.

Oh, there was lots of fit throwing over those things when they were introduced in wow.  Not only that, but when they opened the cs with the sparkle pony?  Holy Sh*t!  Forget Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, it was  more like Hell hath no fury like a cs hater.  It was nuts.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Sorry cannot agree with you here, not sure why a cash shop that is not P2W is a rip off, it is your choice to purchase the item and it in no way gives anyone an advantage. More games are going this route for some additional income, I think its a great idea as long as it doesn't go p2w.

Either you're one of the people who buy everything in these cash shops, or you're just a ignorant fool. First off, you buy the game, already giving them money. Then you have to pay them monthly. THEN they add a cash shop for items / fluff stuff that should be in game already. Honestly, think about it. You are paying for a game, and they aren't giving you the chance to get these items in game. Do you see the problem yet? This is like the Capcom on-disc DLC problem. They have all this content ready, but rather than offer it the players who are keeping the game going, they would rather choose to make you pay more money.