Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bold Prediction - The Secret World Will Be Game of The Year.

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

is this  thread the comedy channel ?

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

is this  thread the comedy channel ?

If you look at the top of the page you can see the thread title.

• The_GamblesThe_Gambles Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by gestalt11

The investigative stuff in GW2 is completely opaque.  You have to find it yourself.

TSW actually does MORE hand holding.  Finding secrets in GW2 and there are alot of them. 

No there's not.  Trying to say that GW2 can hold a candle to TSW in the investigation department is over reaching at best.  GW2 beats TSW in many categories.  Investigation is not one of them.

Don't argue. That's the one reason I can't believe any hype over GW2. There are so many fanboys they will argue that every part of GW2 is the best experience to come out of not only an mmo game but games in general. GW2 is the end all be all of gaming. Once you buy GW2 you will immediately stop needing food, air, water, and just live on the awesome that is GW2. You will quit your job, leave your wife, disown your children, and lose your family the game is that batshit crazy good. You won't even sleep. There will be so much content, the DE will make you crap your pants and you will actually BELIEVE you are living in the world of GW2. The combat is not only the best of any MMO to date it is the best that there will ever be, it cannot be improved. In any game. Ever. Also the PvP is the best, it is strategic and just requires you to think, every single step. You should really read Art of War to actually play the PvP it's that amazing and complex. And don't even get me started on the graphics, atmosphere, questing, story, balance, characters, oh my god. For 60 dollars....FOR 60 FUCKING DOLLARS YOUR LIFE WILL CHANGE, YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME. 

No no no....My brothers, GW2 is the second coming. It won't be game of the year no...oh no...It will be game of the century. Believe it.

Or ya know...atleast that's what I heard?

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by bcbully

Let me start by saying, I don't think TSW will have the number of players GW2 will have maybe not even the amount Tera has. TSW appeals to a certain taste, an aquired taste if you will. TSW does that taste oh so well, better than any mmo to date.  The ability to create this dish will garner Funcom & TSW critical acclaim much like  "Slum Dog Millionair"  did in the film industry.

Like the taste or not, there is something very special in TSW, something different.  The Devil is in the details my friends, and the Devil is in TSW.

Of 2004.

Not with these graphics and poor game play. Not with the enima jumping character models. 

What taste are you speaking of.  That taste being people who can stomach stale combat for 90 percent of  the time so they can solve puzzles the other 10 percent. Why not play Longest Journey and actually do adventures all the time.  It's not like you're really doing the "FUN" stuff with other people.  

Originally posted by JayZas
    Originally posted by gestalt11

The investigative stuff in GW2 is completely opaque.  You have to find it yourself.

TSW actually does MORE hand holding.  Finding secrets in GW2 and there are alot of them. 

No there's not.  Trying to say that GW2 can hold a candle to TSW in the investigation department is over reaching at best.  GW2 beats TSW in many categories.  Investigation is not one of them.

Don't argue. That's the one reason I can't believe any hype over GW2. There are so many fanboys they will argue that every part of GW2 is the best experience to come out of not only an mmo game but games in general. GW2 is the end all be all of gaming. Once you buy GW2 you will immediately stop needing food, air, water, and just live on the awesome that is GW2. You will quit your job, leave your wife, disown your children, and lose your family the game is that batshit crazy good. You won't even sleep. There will be so much content, the DE will make you crap your pants and you will actually BELIEVE you are living in the world of GW2. The combat is not only the best of any MMO to date it is the best that there will ever be, it cannot be improved. In any game. Ever. Also the PvP is the best, it is strategic and just requires you to think, every single step. You should really read Art of War to actually play the PvP it's that amazing and complex. And don't even get me started on the graphics, atmosphere, questing, story, balance, characters, oh my god. For 60 dollars....FOR 60 FUCKING DOLLARS YOUR LIFE WILL CHANGE, YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME. 

No no no....My brothers, GW2 is the second coming. It won't be game of the year no...oh no...It will be game of the century. Believe it.

Or ya know...atleast that's what I heard?

That only thing secret about the Secret world is its leveling system. Which is based on how many traits of particlar weapons you have.  Its there its just hidden. It's why you can't unlock certain quests.  (dumbest thing in the world, there's a note in front of me, i can't read the note until i have a few more levels.. err. abilities in my mace).  

I was thinking about that last night, GW 2 does a better job of both investigating and quest tiers than TSW. 

GW 2, you walk through a town and simply hear people talking about things.  They are talking about the various things in the world. "vampre crypt... i don't believe that". So now you got out into the world and look for it,  no dynamic quest, not yet.  You go down and you start to distrurb the tombs, then its a full on adventure as you go to eliminate the quest.  

Tier Adventuring - a dynamic event starts out with some harpies, and, (because it changes) it can go anywhere from eliminating their lair to preventing them from taking the armory to finding out they work someone much larger.  

I

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by dontadow

Let me start by saying, I don't think TSW will have the number of players GW2 will have maybe not even the amount Tera has. TSW appeals to a certain taste, an aquired taste if you will. TSW does that taste oh so well, better than any mmo to date.  The ability to create this dish will garner Funcom & TSW critical acclaim much like  "Slum Dog Millionair"  did in the film industry.

Like the taste or not, there is something very special in TSW, something different.  The Devil is in the details my friends, and the Devil is in TSW.

Of 2004.

Not with these graphics and poor game play. Not with the enima jumping character models. 

What taste are you speaking of.  That taste being people who can stomach stale combat for 90 percent of  the time so they can solve puzzles the other 10 percent. Why not play Longest Journey and actually do adventures all the time.  It's not like you're really doing the "FUN" stuff with other people.  

So you are basing you opinion on your OPINION of the graphics? This is so funny to me. No matter how someone runs or shoots a gun someone will complain. It's your right too I guess. The tech behind the graphics is far beyond most Take the tesalation for example.

Combat? TSW has the deepest combat system I've seen. It's not just 500 abilitites (lol I said just 500) but it's also  the Sub types, Triggers, and Attack Type sysnergies asscosiated with the 500 abilites. Please forgive them if there is not an independent animation for all these possibilties....

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

GW 2, you walk through a town and simply hear people talking about things.  They are talking about the various things in the world. "vampre crypt... i don't believe that". So now you got out into the world and look for it,  no dynamic quest, not yet.  You go down and you start to distrurb the tombs, then its a full on adventure as you go to eliminate the quest.  

Or you could...ya know...talk to a scout and he points you RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED TO GO.

I have two words for you.  Kingsmouth Code.  Now go and give me an example of GW2 topping that.  You won't find one.  Period.

:)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

That only thing secret about the Secret world is its leveling system. Which is based on how many traits of particlar weapons you have.  Its there its just hidden. It's why you can't unlock certain quests.  (dumbest thing in the world, there's a note in front of me, i can't read the note until i have a few more levels.. err. abilities in my mace).  

I was thinking about that last night, GW 2 does a better job of both investigating and quest tiers than TSW. 

Tier Adventuring - a dynamic event starts out with some harpies, and, (because it changes) it can go anywhere from eliminating their lair to preventing them from taking the armory to finding out they work someone much larger.  

I

curious because I never found this in kingsmouth. I know you can't do some quests before you finish a pre-cursor quest but I haven't ran into one it just wouldn't let me take because I wasn't high enough skill level. During the weekend thing I made one char and just went exploring kingsmouth for the first time had no SP at all aside from what you get initially and I got the quest from the guy at the airport. It said "very hard" in the description but still let me take it. Had plently I found on the group but had to drop another quest to get it but still never found one it just flat out wouldn't let me take due to skill level

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

I

curious because I never found this in kingsmouth. I know you can't do some quests before you finish a pre-cursor quest but I haven't ran into one it just wouldn't let me take because I wasn't high enough skill level. During the weekend thing I made one char and just went exploring kingsmouth for the first time had no SP at all aside from what you get initially and I got the quest from the guy at the airport. It said "very hard" in the description but still let me take it. Had plently I found on the group but had to drop another quest to get it but still never found one it just flat out wouldn't let me take due to skill level

Wow good catch. There are no skill requirments to do any quest or go anywhere in TSW. I did find out that in the Open Beta some quest were locked, which will be open this weekend. 

I

For the weekend Funcom had some missions locked and some (as you know) are chained.  The mace reason why he can't get the mission is just him making up a reason as to why.

Or you could...ya know...talk to a scout and he points you RIGHT WHERE YOU NEED TO GO.

I have two words for you.  Kingsmouth Code.  Now go and give me an example of GW2 topping that.  You won't find one.  Period.

pretty sure no one here has played every quest from either game so this argument is sort of pointless

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

pretty sure no one here has played every quest from either game so this argument is sort of pointless

pretty sure there are no ARGs in GW2.  So it's not really pointless.  It's calling out baseless claims.   The funny thing is I'm a fanboy of both games.  But c'mon GW2 isn't the best in everything:)

pretty sure there are no ARGs in GW2.  So it's not really pointless.  It's calling out baseless claims on a fanboy of another game.  The funny thing is I'm a fanboy of both.

just because TSW has ARGs doesn't make them better than anything GW2 has... so far I enjoy both games but enjoy how questing is setup in GW2 more personally... doesn't make me right or you right just what you prefer. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I

That had nothing at all to do with it. It was simply locked for the beta. They didn't allow access for all the quests in Kingsmouth this past weekend. Skill unlocks have nothing to do with that at all.

...and you guys are comparing two completely different types of quests. Doesn't even make any sense.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

There were quests that were "locked" and then mysterious unlocked (in the junkyard) as i leveled my weapon.

In GW2, Scouts tell you where heart quests are, u can't find out about dynamic events unless you're in the specific area.  The only way you know about them is to overhear people talking or be near the area.  

As opposed to going to a quest hub. 

No, there are no outright riddles in guild wars.  THe puzzles are more subtle, u know, like real lovecraftian novels. There are graves with riddle like hints at various locations and adventures in the game.  There are locations that glimpse at future adventure locations and u can take thoseclues and find them.  

Kingsmouth Code rock, i didi it great. NOw what did i have to do to get there.... 9 (kill this, fetch this, jump on this) quests.  So for every 1 kingsmouth code there are 9 that force mt to play through mundane rotation based combat 

There were quests that were "locked" and then mysterious unlocked (in the junkyard) as i leveled my weapon.

No...it didn't. You're either confusing it with another area probably the skate ramp or something similar. Those quests in the yard weren't available to anyone at any time. As a matter of fact those quests are one of the perks they were bragging about being available this upcoming BWE.
    Now there was another quest you could obtain that required going to the scrap yard to get an item but as the rest that had no skill requirement to unlock it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Okay believe what you want to believe, but like oyu have been told some quest were lock for the Open Beta group. As soon as you leave creation. You can go anywhere, and pick up whatever quest you like. There are no restrictions based on skill level.

In GW2, Scouts tell you where heart quests are, u can't find out about dynamic events unless you're in the specific area.  The only way you know about them is to overhear people talking or be near the area.  

No, there are no outright riddles in guild wars.  THe puzzles are more subtle, u know, like real lovecraftian novels. There are graves with riddle like hints at various locations and adventures in the game.  There are locations that glimpse at future adventure locations and u can take thoseclues and find them.  

Kingsmouth Code rock, i didi it great. NOw what did i have to do to get there.... 9 (kill this, fetch this, jump on this) quests.  So for every 1 kingsmouth code there are 9 that force mt to play through mundane rotation based combat 

thats my huge issue with TSW right now.. some good quests but overall so many are not very good. Many end up just being tiered kill x quests that are even worse than standard kill x quests because they make you travel accross the entire map to complete certain tiers of it yet all it is, is kill x of these..  also i think they really need to open up more quests you can aquire, especially the ones you find laying around on the group. I had to run all over kingsmouth for the millionth time going to the exact same locations over and over and over because I couldn't stack some of these quests that required you to kill things in the exact same place. I'd love more quests like the blowing up the zombies with the landmines and the code quest but those so few and far between it seems.

Okay believe what you want to believe, but like oyu have been told some quest were lock for the Open Beta group. As soon as you leave creation. You can go anywhere, and pick up whatever quest you like. There are no restrictions based on skill level.

Iv'e played through kingsmouth with a couple characters so far and have yet to find a "locked" quest because I wasn't high enough skill level

thats my huge issue with TSW right now.. some good quests but overall so many are not very good. Many end up just being tiered kill x quests that are even worse than standard kill x quests because they make you travel accross the entire map to complete certain tiers of it yet all it is, is kill x of these..  also i think they really need to open up more quests you can aquire, especially the ones you find laying around on the group. I had to run all over kingsmouth for the millionth time going to the exact same locations over and over and over because I couldn't stack some of these quests that required you to kill things in the exact same place. I'd love more quests like the blowing up the zombies with the landmines and the code quest but those so few and far between it seems.

Yeah, wasn't a ton for me that annoyed me like that but there definitely are a few that had me saying: "Give me a fucking break". Two in particular I can think of that had you running around to simply grind mob types so you could grind more mob types. A couple really are simply tedious to no end. Which makes you wonder if those types become more prevalent or if some of the other quest types are still around in force later on in the game. You know how it goes sometimes with these games. The higher you get the less creative or imaginative the questing can get because it is like later areas were rushed and not given as much care as earlier zones.

On a good note, least mobs where you needed drops actually had them drop the item every kill. Not like some fucking games where you could need zombie arms and have to kill 3-4 zombies to get each zombie arm.

It's a different game ;) Not being mean but your misunderstanding somethings and doing it wrong, if you are running back and forth to quest givers. Slow down, look around, read and listen.  The next clue is not far away.

just because TSW has ARGs doesn't make them better than anything GW2 has...

If were talking about investigations only; yes, yes it does actually.  But if we want to boil it down to only subjective opinion, then you're right.  Heck FFXIV  could be the best MMO ever made at that point.

Iv'e played through kingsmouth with a couple characters so far and have yet to find a "locked" quest because I wasn't high enough skill level

There were quests that were locked (near the airport in kingsmouth and the junkjard) i assumed they were locked csause of beta. But later in the game they were unlocked.  I can only presume because my weapons were higher level, as idid nothing else in the game to make them unlock.

The quests were not related with other tiers, for instance, reading a note on a bus, i don't know what that had to do with anything else i did. But later on, i could read the note and get the quest.  

Also hate that there are things that u cant interact with until a specific moment.  So much gasloline in the main hub. Why is that even clickable to begin with. I wanted to have a fallout 3 moment. 

It's a different game ;) Not being mean but your misunderstanding somethings and doing it wrong, if you are running back and forth to quest givers. Slow down, look around, read and listen.  The next clue is not far away.

how am I doing it wrong?.. say I'm on a quest that goes to a certain ares I go there and there is something on the floor that gives another quest that takes place in that area but I can't get that quest because my log is full. So I complete the quest I'm on running half way back accross the map to finish all the tiers then have to run all the way back to pick up the random quest sitting in the ground or just forget it and hope the game brings me back there and my log isn't full again... I'm not talking about the quest giver quests I'm more talking abouth the ones sprinkled all around like in the mail truck or some body part sitting on the floor ect.. I'm fine with the main quests being limited but the random ones shouldn't be

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

you can pause quests you know