Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do not preorder The Secret World from Funcom unless

Comments

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Angrah

you are absulutely sure that want it. After preordering last month (AND being charged in full for the game) I downloaded and participated in this weekends beta.  The game is kind of lame and boring so I asked for a refund and was told no they do not do refunds.

So my warning to you all do not preorder from Funcom unless you are 100% sure you want the game.

Angrah

With any preorder you take a risk that you won't like it.  I never preorder.  I'd rather wait for it to come out, get some reviews based on the finished product (not the beta), and maybe wait for a free trial.  I find it funny when people preorder,don't like the game, and then get pissed at the publisher. 

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Soandsoso

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Pre-Order....you are pre-ordering the game before it officially hits the shelves. You are buying the product in advance.

As part of that purchase is access to the betas. Once you played the beta it was the same as taking the product out of the package.

If  I was the credit card company I would cancel your credit card as it is obvious you are not responsible enough to be using one.

Funcom gave you everything they advertised...returning something because you decide you don't like it is the fault of the customer.

Good thing the credit card companies, and most sane non-fanbois, disagree with you.

Tell the credit card company you are returning it because you don't like it. They wont give you your money back. But if you lie and say they didn't give you what they said they were then yes they will do the charge back.

And yes if the credit card company starts to see a trend of charge backs they will cancel your cc for abusing it.

And if a company gets enough people doing charge backs, that company starts getting fined and can even lose the ability to accept that vendors ( MasterCard, VISA, etc. ) card. And it's real easy to tell them the truth. Product does not come out for another month, no product has been released yet, and the person no longer wishes to purchase it when it does release. That's all the CC company needs to hear. Again, CC companies do NOT consider "beta test" to be a valid purchaseable product. Noone pays to test a game.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I found TSW was as i expected for a funcom game that is releasing in a month and it has funcoms dna all over it which will make the villian easier to identify when the mass exodus starts to happen a couple months in...

Its not the game many think it is but funcom games never are.

Nevertheless it is a very fun game for what it is and certain gamers will love it but like most funcom games many will not like it so much after a short while..

Playing GW2..

• LagozLagoz Member Posts: 92

The idea of pre-ordering/pre-purchasing the game is that you are going to BUY it.

It's not for trying the product and then returning it.

The only reason people are allowed to return/cashback pre-orders is because people are rather stupid in general and the consumer protection laws are quite sturdy regardless the country. 

If you pre-order a game to try the included beta access and then cancel your pre-order it basically means you are just abusing the system.

It's the same as ordering a dish at a restaurant and after it's brought to the table you decide you wanted the other dish instead or you are not hungry and don't want to pay for it. This is completely doable but in the end it's just about abusing the system and getting refunded because consumers are generally stupid.

Sure there could be something wrong with the product and you are entitled to get refunded but if the fault doesn't lie in the product instead it's in the consumer it just falls to the stupidity of the consumer.

Cancelling pre-order is either caused by A) The consumer not doing enough study before the purchase decision or B) The business lieing to the consumer about the pre-order.

So I'll conclude this rant with saying that people who cancel pre-orders are mostly stupid and I'm happy FC has made it rather difficult to do.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Good job its accent game then
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Pre-Order....you are pre-ordering the game before it officially hits the shelves. You are buying the product in advance.

As part of that purchase is access to the betas. Once you played the beta it was the same as taking the product out of the package.

If  I was the credit card company I would cancel your credit card as it is obvious you are not responsible enough to be using one.

Funcom gave you everything they advertised...returning something because you decide you don't like it is the fault of the customer.

Good thing the credit card companies, and most sane non-fanbois, disagree with you.

Tell the credit card company you are returning it because you don't like it. They wont give you your money back. But if you lie and say they didn't give you what they said they were then yes they will do the charge back.

And yes if the credit card company starts to see a trend of charge backs they will cancel your cc for abusing it.

And if a company gets enough people doing charge backs, that company starts getting fined and can even lose the ability to accept that vendors ( MasterCard, VISA, etc. ) card. And it's real easy to tell them the truth. Product does not come out for another month, no product has been released yet, and the person no longer wishes to purchase it when it does release. That's all the CC company needs to hear. Again, CC companies do NOT consider "beta test" to be a valid purchaseable product. Noone pays to test a game.

The company wont get any flack if they aren't doing anything wrong as in this case. Funcom has delivered what they said they would deliver as part of the purchase. The only time Funcom or any other company would get fined is if they were promising one thing and then giving the customer something else. Which is not the case in this scenario. Hence the reaon why the OP isn't getting their money back.

The company wont get any flack if they aren't doing anything wrong as in this case. Funcom has delivered what they said they would deliver as part of the purchase. The only time Funcom or any other company would get fined is if they were promising one thing and then giving the customer something else. Which is not the case in this scenario. Hence the reaon why the OP isn't getting their money back.

I'll leave you to your beliefs then, as wrong as they may be. I suggest you actually look into how credit card companies work when you get a chance. Final answer: yes, the OP will get his money back.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Didn't a company representitive say animations "500 animations will be redone" and didn't a company represenitive say "no powers for sale".

Cool you bought the game on those claims, and after finding out they are untrue you can void the contract.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

I'll leave you to your beliefs then, as wrong as they may be. I suggest you actually look into how credit card companies work when you get a chance. Final answer: yes, the OP will get his money back.

I have discussed this with my cc company and they have said that they do not do charge backs because the customer decided they didn't like the product. Its not a belief, its a fact.

Now if I lied and said the company didn't deliver as they said they would then yes they would do the charge back.

• DarkDemon69DarkDemon69 Member Posts: 154

By looking at how many people support buying a product and then screwing over the company that sold them the said product I have no hope for humanity. Obviously most have no clues about CC's and caveat emptor. I cant believe so many people are dishonest and dumb. Listen Funcom straight told you that playing the beta after tyou preorder the game is amount to opening the package and then trying to return it. Recent laws prevent consumers in the us from doing chargebacks for digital services as it was such a huge fraud you dishonest people were doing.

• AskedanAskedan Member Posts: 39

OP, i always do the same.

Pre-order the game, play the beta, realize how much of a piece of crap the game reallly is and just cancel my pre-order or do a chargeback.

Fanboys can QQ all they want, it's a great way to try games without spending a dime, and as a consumer, being able to try games before buying them is a great thing, no one deserves my 60$ if i don't like the game, period.

Originally posted by DarkDemon69
    Originally posted by Askedan

Pre-order the game, play the beta, realize how much of a piece of crap the game reallly is and just cancel my pre-order or do a chargeback.

Fanboys can QQ all they want, it's a great way to try games without spending a dime, and as a consumer, being able to try games before buying them is a great thing, no one deserves my 60$ if i don't like the game, period.

And this is why your a waste of flesh. Have fun getting charged with credit fraud with the new laws lmao.

Oh i will have fun... with those 60$ i will buy a game that is actually good.

If a game is crap they don't deserve my money, period, i don't care about some "oh but you tried the beta" BS, this isn't Norway, you can't just take a dump on your consumers here.

Funcom games have always been crap anyway, i don't even know why i gave them a chance.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

you are absulutely sure that want it. After preordering last month (AND being charged in full for the game) I downloaded and participated in this weekends beta.  The game is kind of lame and boring so I asked for a refund and was told no they do not do refunds.

So my warning to you all do not preorder from Funcom unless you are 100% sure you want the game.

Angrah

well atleast don't pre order it if you only intend to do so to "see if you like the game or not". 

Originally posted by raistlinm

you are absulutely sure that want it. After preordering last month (AND being charged in full for the game) I downloaded and participated in this weekends beta.  The game is kind of lame and boring so I asked for a refund and was told no they do not do refunds.   So my warning to you all do not preorder from Funcom unless you are 100% sure you want the game.   Angrah

well atleast don't pre order it if you only intend to do so to "see if you like the game or not". 

If the game doesn't have an open beta, it's the only way to know if you are going to like the game or not.

But OP could have waited a couple of months anyway, F2P won't take long.
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by raistlinm

Angrah

If the game doesn't have an open beta, it's the only way to know if you are going to like the game or not.

But OP could have waited a couple of months anyway, F2P won't take long.

Just because it's the only way to find out or not doesn't change the fact that "as a free trial" was not the reason he was able to play it was to help beta test it if he chooses not to do that he should be ready for sticklers like me to take a shot at him hehe.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

or maybe just wait till they do a trial or buddy system instead of wasting peoples time.

Plus there has been a few sites giving away keys for beta weekends, so maybe look around next time.

Originally posted by Dranny

OP, i always do the same.   Pre-order the game, play the beta, realize how much of a piece of crap the game reallly is and just cancel my pre-order or do a chargeback.   Fanboys can QQ all they want, it's a great way to try games without spending a dime, and as a consumer, being able to try games before buying them is a great thing, no one deserves my 60$ if i don't like the game, period.

or maybe just wait till they do a trial or buddy system instead of wasting peoples time.

Plus there has been a few sites giving away keys for beta weekends, so maybe look around next time.

After what Funcom did with Age of Conan, all their lies and scams, i could care less if i waste their time or not.

When they start having trials or buddy systems, everyone pretty much knows how much the game sucks, so there is really no point anymore.
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

After what Funcom did with Age of Conan, all their lies and scams, i could care less if i waste their time or not.

When they start having trials or buddy systems, everyone pretty much knows how much the game sucks, so there is really no point anymore.

I have to admit i dont understand you.

So getting a preorder and cancel it to test it out so you dont waste money is ok but waiting for a buddy system or a free trial is pointless??

Isnt a free trial or a buddy system meant to give ppl who want to make sure they like what they buy the chance to test it?

So abusing the preorder system is ok but waiting for the trial is pointless??

Really do not understand that at all sounds rather stupid to be honest.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by beyond007
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

Angrah

Lies.  Because i ordered 2 weeks ago and my payment hasnt gone thru.  So i contacted support.

Greetings,

Your Pre-Order being pending is completely normal. You will be charged
    for it shortly before game launch, and it doesn't effect your ability to
    play in the weekend Beta.
    The download for the game can be found on your
    account page here: if you
    haven't already downloaded it. If you are getting Authentication Errors
    when trying to login, it is because the authentication servers are under
    heavy load currently with everyone trying to log in together at once. We
    are working on improving it and if you are patient with it, you should
    be able to login to the server in a little bit. I do apologize for the
    inconvenience in the mean time though. If you have anymore questions or
    concerns, just reply to this email and I will get back to you as soon as
    possible.

Thank you for contacting Funcom Customer Support.

Regards,

GM Tenadji

I was charged the day of my preorder back in April. Also just because you have not been charged does not change the fact that they will charge you.

Greetings,

I apologize for the inconvenience, however it appears that your account
    is not eligible for a refund today. This is based off of our refund
    policy. Currently we are refunding pre-orders until launch if they are
    unused. I appears that you have already accessed your Beta therefore the
    account in question is not eligible for a refund. Again I apologize for
    any inconvenience.

If you require any further support or have any questions about this
    issue please respond to this email and I will be glad to assist you!

Regards,

GM Esteliona
    Greetings,

I apologize for any inconvenience, however our refund policy states we
    can issue a refund within 7-14 days of purchase if the item has not been
    used.  Currently you have reserved names, as well as played in the Beta
    and we are unable to issue a refund.  The payment is well past our
    refund policy dates as well seeing as it is over a month old. Your
    "lifetime" subscription means that you will never have to pay to play
    the game after your initial purchase, you do not have a monthly fee. I
    cannot cancel this as your payment has already processed and is past the
    refund date.

If you have any further questions please respond to this email and I
    will be glad to assist you.  Again I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

GM Esteliona

It is funny to me, they gave you the same responce I game to customers at the resturant I worked at when they wanted a refund for cold fries, that they had eaten.

It also appears that you bought the Lifetime Sub, silly if you jsut wanted to try it out.

Now is the time you sit back and say to yourself.."Damn, I wont preorder anything again."

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

This all really depends on the language of the fine print in the preorder/purchase agreement.  If the language is absolutely clear in regards to Beta Access being a defined part of the preorder/purchase agreement, then FunCom can hold claim that anyone asking for a refund or charge back is doing so after using the product purchased via the preorder/purchase agreement and therefore attempting to defraud the company. 

Credit card companies are still evolving their own policies with regards to digital media, as is the govenmental regulatory bodies for credit companies.   So, one company may simply side with either the consumer or vendor based on claims without investigation.  Others may investigate the claim vs. contract and decide based on their interpretation of the preorder/purchase agreement.  And depening on the outcome of their investigation, in a worst case scenario, the credit company could find that you fraudalently purchased the preorder and seek damages from you, either civil or criminal. 

Either was, using the use of Beta Access as a way to make a sales agreement binding, while completely legal, is underhanded, IMO. 

Originally posted by Doomedfox

So getting a preorder and cancel it to test it out so you dont waste money is ok but waiting for a buddy system or a free trial is pointless??

Isnt a free trial or a buddy system meant to give ppl who want to make sure they like what they buy the chance to test it?

There is really nothing to understand, my dear friend.

In 3-6 months, TSW will have free trials.

But i won't be interested in the game anymore, since everyone will know how much it sucks.

If the game was actually good, i wouldn't have cancelled my pre-order.

Do you get it now? 1+1=2

Why wait months for a free trial when i can just try the game now? if the game is good i can start playing without having to wait months and months.

Single player games have demos, since MMOs try to hide their shitty games with NDAs and no open betas, it's the only way to know if im going to like the game at launch or not.

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109

Angrah

this is just plain common sense.....

although you did not like it, i do and have preordered as well as bought a lifetime sub. if it goes ftp later, then so be it, i will continue to get the added perks as though i was actually paying every month, so I am not terribly worried about that.

hopefully you find a game that caters to your taste

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Doomedfox

There is really nothing to understand, my dear friend.

In 3-6 months, TSW will have free trials.

But i won't be interested in the game anymore, since everyone will know how much it sucks.

If the game was actually good, i wouldn't have cancelled my pre-order.

Do you get it now? 1+1=2

Why wait months for a free trial when i can just try the game now? if the game is good i can start playing without having to wait months and months.

Single player games have demos, since MMOs try to hide their shitty games with NDAs and no open betas, it's the only way to know if im going to like the game at launch or not.

Why didn't you just look round the gaming site and get yourself a beta key instead.?

I have discussed this with my cc company and they have said that they do not do charge backs because the customer decided they didn't like the product. Its not a belief, its a fact.

Now if I lied and said the company didn't deliver as they said they would then yes they would do the charge back.

Uh huh.

I'll humor you.

Call back your credit card company and ask about refunds regarding false advertisement.

"Pre-order The Secret World and receive EXCLUSIVE beta access!"

There is no exclusive beta access. The beta access your pre-order gives you is the same beta access everyone who got invited randomly  ( and for free ), or played the Facebook game to get invited ( for free ) to CB  has.

• GoresonGoreson Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Ortho

Pre ordered last thursday. Debit card and account has been debited in full for the combination of products I bought. I'm not looking for a refund but I probably won't sub based on what I've seen so far.

Game needs some work. Like a dodge mechanic. Combat = boring. Though the story/vibe are great, it's not enough to grab my cash or love.

I did not buy the lifetime sub...

Debit cards are not credit cards.

I don't think you can "reserve" an amount of money on a debit card, whereas with a credit card it is definitely possible.

Via a debit card the money is taken directly (and pretty much instantly) from your account whereas thru the credit card you are allowing the "vendor" to advise your credit card company that at a later point in time i.e. completion of transaction e.g. upon checkout out of a  hotel this money will be requested the "vendor".